• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick up the Ratchet and Clank collection when it comes out. One of my all time favorite game series, it's really fantastic.

Random: I was just thinking about Evil Cole. It was really dumb to complain about him at the time. We know nothing about him, and Superbot has really been delivering the awesomeness so I kinda feel bad for being a downer about it haha
Two Coles is a waste of a character slot, regardless of if he plays different. Doing that should be something for like a fourth sequel when they are running out of new character ideas

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sly and Kratos are my favorite characters in the beta, because they play exactly like they do in their games. Pretty much every single move they have is directly out of the game, and it even feels almost exactly like it feels in the game too.

You probably shouldn't play the Sly series solely to learn about the fanservice done with his character here, but learning what he was like in his games really makes his character in PSAS even more fun. And its a fun series anyhow.

Two Coles is a waste of a character slot, regardless of if he plays different. Doing that should be something for like a fourth sequel when they are running out of new character ideas

I don't see it the same way. When a character is announced I'm not thinking "OH now there's one less spot for a character"
They don't decide how many characters they want and then fill the spots I imagine. Cole is an obvious choice for this game, and this is how they're choosing to represent him. For if it wasn't for evil cole, aren't we losing a part of that character? They/We want Cole. All of Cole.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly! Stoopid leaks. So I'm just choosing to stay optimistic and trust Superbot rather than jump on the hate train....Better not mess up Superbot!!
jk love u gaiz

Ok I'll stay optimistic as long as you allow me to get pissed off if/when cole gets 2 entirely full length story lines worth of content to himself.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I am pretty damn excited about the CTF mode.

Hey now, what did we just say about making assumptions based on a leak without the full info? We really don't know enough yet to get either excited or angry about a lot of these things.

Hey now, what did we just say about making assumptions based on a leak without the full info? We really don't know enough yet to get either excited or angry about a lot of these things.

I'm okay with positive stuff. But CTF in this kind of game...Okay more imaginative people lay this out for me!

Loudninja

Oh give me a damn break.

I dont care about Evil Cole either but I not going to complain about it to I know the full details.

Drago

But how do you get it from other players? Any attack or...? Seems too crazy. Also some characters would just be really good at that!...Sly!

I imagine it playing as a hit-and-run type game.

Attack the one with the flag, get the flag, and run from everyone else. Could be loads of fun if done right :)

Attack the one with the flag, get the flag, and run from everyone else. Could be loads of fun if done right :)

Mmm I guess so. I just feel like it would encourage the use of a few specific characters that end up being the best at it. But maybe it won't/that's okay....Damn lack of information

B.O.O.M

Explain why?

Also brawl made Snake so crappy, Drake is what Snake should have been.
Snake had a few cool specials in brawl but was lacking as a whole. I was so hyped when he was announced & then disappointed after unlocking him.

Big Daddy is vicious especially his level 2 super!

What's Big Daddy's Lvl 2 again? :S I can't recall

Oh and prediction: Big D will marry Fatty P and will live happily ever after

J-Tier

Man, I'm imagining the time speeding up once you get the flag...could create some urgency to knock it away.

Musolf815

So. Don't kill me guys. But I never played the Jak and Daxter games (beyond the first one) or any of the Sly Cooper series.
This game is really doing it's job though. I really want to try out Sly! I'm hoping I can get Sly 4 though and not have any problems understanding what's going on...But maybe not :/

According to the developers of Sly 4 they're trying to make the story easy to jump into for anyone who hasn't played the series before, but good enough for fans of the series. Still, I'd highly recommend the entire series to anyone.

According to the developers of Sly 4 they're trying to make the story easy to jump into for anyone who hasn't played the series before, but good enough for fans of the series. Still, I'd highly recommend the entire series to anyone.

Ahh good to know, thank you :D looks like a good game to pick up on Vita

What's Big Daddy's Lvl 2 again? :S I can't recall

Oh and prediction: Big D will marry Fatty P and will live happily ever after

He turns all red and kills anybody he attacks.

Maybe I just wasn't old enough to appreciate Melee...I just like Brawl more.
You know what was a nice improvement I never thought of? Picking up items while running. I kind of like that you need to get your bearings to be able to pick one up in PSAS but still.

EDIT: haha remember when we were talking about James Bond in this game? That was great. I don't know what made me think of that.

Gorillaz

The Jax series is the perfect example of how Naughty dog mostly follows the trend, not sets them, but does it well enough that they still really make good games.

Linear mascot platformers featuring animals are the big thing? Well lets make a bandicoot into hip mascot give him basically 2d platforming level design turned 3d. Animal mascots are out and open world platformers are a big thing now? Well lets turn crash into an almost human and give him an open world. GTA is big? Well lets take jax and put a focus on driving in the open world and also giving him guns. Covered based shooters are all the rage now? Well lets make a cover based shooter with Uncharted.

I really do love all their games and they are extremely well made, but for some people open world fun loving collectathoning is their favorite thing. 2 and 3 really are good too, but they are so different from 1, and they probably haven't aged as well as Jax 1 since the GTA and shooting genres have evolved so much, while platforming has basically been figured out ever since mario 64.

Really if anyone wants to get the general gist of the evolution of game design from the mid 90s til right now, playing every naughty dog game back to back would be one of the best ways to do it. At least they don't fall behind the trends like some companies, and they may actually be trying to set the the trends with their next game.
I agree with everything here, I remember critics said ND was basically the "evolution" of things in gaming. Esp Jak/Dax

Spinluck

Maybe I just wasn't old enough to appreciate Melee...I just like Brawl more.
You know what was a nice improvement I never thought of? Picking up items while running. I kind of like that you need to get your bearings to be able to pick one up in PSAS but still.

EDIT: haha remember when we were talking about James Bond in this game? That was great. I don't know what made me think of that.

I LOVE BRAWL! I have more hours logged onto Melee cause I didn't have many other games to play or things to do. When I got Brawl I had already started living on my own, and couldn't play with my sibling unless I visited. Also College and work took away from my play time. I love the Smash series, and Brawl is my favorite of the 3.

Annnnnnnnnd...

I cannot tell you how glad I am that James Bond won't be in this game, phew...

Jawmuncher

I'm really looking forward to PSBAR, and this is coming off of absolutely loving Brawl.
Mainly for the fact that the characters here actually apply to me.

I grew up with the playstation, and thus never really have that love for nintendo like a lot of other people do. Trying to play brawl when you don't really like any of the charcaters there sort of takes away from the fun and charm. Hell the only reason I love brawl so much is because Snake's inclusion gave me a charcater to play as that I related to.

With PSBAR I'm looking at the list and instead of going, yeah i'm going to be playing as that one guy and thats it. There's a multitude of charcaters I can't wait to play as. I have a feeling i'll be perfectly fine just playing off a random button since every character announced so far I either played there games (and liked them) or they were part of why I loved my PS1/2/3.

garfep

That animated video is pure gold. Hilarious.

I dont like the fact that IGN wants PS All-stars to be one big joke though.

We don't. We're just having fun with it. We have plenty of serious features planned, too.

As for the animated videos, pitch characters you'd like to see in some of the next ones; we haven't decided who they'll be yet.

Preferably someone they make an action figure of, too. ;)

QprHX.jpg

Mik_Pad

Banned
We don't. We're just having fun with it. We have plenty of serious features planned, too.

As for the animated videos, pitch characters you'd like to see in some of the next ones; we haven't decided who they'll be yet.

QprHX.jpg
Do you have the evil cole statue?

QprHX.jpg

Can't wait for some good PSAS IGN features! I'm sure you guys will have more to talk about once we hear more about what the actual full game is like.
And we gotta see Cole! Though I do love Parappa. Ehh it's all in my mind!

Gorillaz

It's funny I said it in the other thread but I played like 2 matches back to back with IGN staff

If im right it was colin moriarty. Since the username was Moriarty-IGN lol

The Jax series is the perfect example of how Naughty dog mostly follows the trend, not sets them, but does it well enough that they still really make good games.

Linear mascot platformers featuring animals are the big thing? Well lets make a bandicoot into hip mascot give him basically 2d platforming level design turned 3d. Animal mascots are out and open world platformers are a big thing now? Well lets turn crash into an almost human and give him an open world. GTA is big? Well lets take jax and put a focus on driving in the open world and also giving him guns. Covered based shooters are all the rage now? Well lets make a cover based shooter with Uncharted.

I really do love all their games and they are extremely well made, but for some people open world fun loving collectathoning is their favorite thing. 2 and 3 really are good too, but they are so different from 1, and they probably haven't aged as well as Jax 1 since the GTA and shooting genres have evolved so much, while platforming has basically been figured out ever since mario 64.

Really if anyone wants to get the general gist of the evolution of game design from the mid 90s til right now, playing every naughty dog game back to back would be one of the best ways to do it. At least they don't fall behind the trends like some companies, and they may actually be trying to set the the trends with their next game.

This is mostly true but they start innovating with UC2 with big cinematic set piece moments during gameplay. After UC2 a lot of TPS games started doing big uncharted like set piece moments. Look at the upcoming Tomb Raider. Naughty Dog started that.

xptoxyz

So should we be worried that the 20+ characters he said earlier included DLC? I was hoping for those 2-4 characters left over in-game. :(

I don't think that can be taken from what is written there, I think what he said to them is, when he gets future new leaks about DLC he would be "keep them close to his chest". I don't think it means that he already received such information.

cyborg009

Banned

Selvaria Bles, Prinny, Dart or Rose, and Yu Narukami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom