• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcapitan

mugwhump

I'm a big Smash fan, so I'm glad to see more games exploring the formula. As for being a ripoff, well, the fighting game genre is composed almost entirely of ripoffs. This looks about as mechanically similar to Smash as Guilty Gear is to Street Fighter. Hell, I wish they'd steal even more from Smash. Take DI and the percentage system too, they'd be improvements.

As for characters, I know it might sound blasphemous, but I wanna play as Ico or Wander.

Endo Punk

In one of the interviews it was mentioned that each item has a specific roll so I am certain there will be one that helps against Super attacks.

ZoddGutts

Actually now that I think about it, while Sony didn't make these games they do own the IP's for Dark Cloud series, Rogue Galaxy, White Knight Chronicles, Demon Souls and Wild Arms. They may be able to use any character from those games.

Endo Punk

Actually now that I think about it, while Sony didn't make these games they do own the IP's for Dark Cloud series, Rogue Galaxy, White Knight Chronicles, Demon Souls and Wild Arms. They may be able to use any character from those games.

The possibilities are endless.

Ploid 3.0

Ape Escape is just as iconic as Kratos IMO :D lol The Monkey would fit so good ;___; I'm so hyped for the reveals

You just know some form of Ape Escape is going to be in it. Those monkeys have been trolling along in other games for a long time. If Snake is in this he could even comment on meeting them again hah. It has to be Spike though, he has so many gadgets that are perfect for this. Traps, ranged things, etc. Can use the apes in some way like Fat Princess and her army.

They should have a Playstation Home character too. His level 1 Super can be that slowass loading screen that makes you forget why you even picked him.

his level 3 can be sending you creepy PSN messages because you picked a female fighter.

Oh and while we are on the SSB vs All stars thing. come to think of it All stars is happening at the same point in Sony's console history as smash bro's happen in Nintendos.

Both first appeared near the end of both companies 3rd console.

Was Mario a classic character in 1999?

Kyon

Banned
They should have a Playstation Home character too. His level 1 Super can be that slowass loading screen that makes you forget why you even picked him.

09954248.gif

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
You guys have to understand something. Aside from Crash, early on, Sony has never really designed and marketed their marque characters to be icons in the way Nintendo has with it's stable of IP's. It becomes almost impossible to do that when you keep changing your mascot character every generation.

What Sony has are a bunch of great IP's that are fun to play but not necessarily iconic. Now that isn't really a bad thing when you depend on 3rd party games to sell your consoles to the extent that Sony do. But in a game like this it does become an issue.

Smash Bros. is an extension of the massively popular Mario Bros. characters and universe. The other characters are just support characters who have come to participate. Smash, without Mario Bros, wouldn't be nearly as popular. Link and Donkey Kong would end up being the lead characters. Even though they are both AAA support characters, it just wouldn't be the same without the weight and magnitude of Mario Bros to back it all up.

This is what Sony doesn't have for this game. Their lead character (probably sackboy) will not be iconic enough to carry the game and the support characters aren't as recognizable as Link and Donkey Kong. Imo Sony should acquire some pretty high profile 3rd party characters to help fill that icon void.

However, all of this icon nonsense will never really be a problem if the game is good or great even. And as long as their expectations on sales are around 1.5-2 Million copies which would be a fantastic start for a game like this. If Sony's expectations are to achieve numbers similar to Brawl or Melee then the lack of iconic level characters will surely be an obstacle to overcome.

KingK

Yeah, truly.

Thats the good thing about a company that creates a lot of new IP's, rather than just sticking to the same mascots. No offense to Nintendo, just saying that Sony probably has a bigger pool to choose from.

Of course, the contrary to that is that sticking to the same mascots all the time is a big part of what's allowed Nintendo to build up so much popularity around their characters.

KevinCow

Banned
What if the Ape Escape character was Specter?

I feel like playing as Spike kinda misses the point of playing as a character from a series about monkeys. But playing as a generic Ape instead of a named character would also kinda suck.

Specter is a monkey, and is also a named character. He could use all the gadgets Spike would, and he could also summon monkeys.

It's like how the Killzone character is Radec instead of Rico or someone. The glowing red Helghan eyes are far more iconic to the Killzone series than any human space marine.

Ploid 3.0

What if the Ape Escape character was Specter?

I feel like playing as Spike kinda misses the point of playing as a character from a series about monkeys. But playing as a generic Ape instead of a named character would also kinda suck.

Specter is a monkey, and is also a named character. He could use all the gadgets Spike would, and he could also summon monkeys.

It's like how the Killzone character is Radec instead of Rico or someone. The glowing red Helghan eyes are far more iconic to the Killzone series than any human space marine.

Two birds, I like it. Specter it is! Good job KevinCow.

Mikey Jr.

Of course, the contrary to that is that sticking to the same mascots all the time is a big part of what's allowed Nintendo to build up so much popularity around their characters.

Seems to me like some people are getting too hung up on the whole "classic characters" stuff. Like, I am supposed to have some emotional attachment to these characters to be able to enjoy the game and want to see them fight.

KingK

Regarding the graphics, I think they're ok, but they could definitely use some improvement. It needs to look "sharper" or something. It looks like there's a layer of Vaseline over the screen or something in some cases. They need to make it look really clear and sharp. And while I think they did a decent level taking on the task of making a cohesive art style for all of these characters, it could use some improvement as well.

Ultimately, the more I watched gameplay videos, the more used to the visuals I got so I'm not super worried about that in the end.

My main concern is still if the Super only KO system will end up working out or if it will feel like Final Smashes from Brawl being the only way to KO an opponent. I didn't really like the Final Smash system in Brawl and after the novelty wore out, my friends and I started playing with it turned off. So my overall attitude towards the game for now is skeptical, but excited. I really, really want this to work out.

Seems to me like some people are getting too hung up on the whole "classic characters" stuff. Like, I am supposed to have some emotional attachment to these characters to be able to enjoy the game and want to see them fight.

nah, I didn't mean to imply that. Personally, there are probably more Playstation characters I'm attached to than Nintendo ones. I was simply stating that, while it's nice to get new IPs frequently and I really love that as a Playstation owner, there are also benefits of reusing characters and IPs for generations.

Mikey Jr.

Regarding the graphics, I think they're ok, but they could definitely use some improvement. It needs to look "sharper" or something. It looks like there's a layer of Vaseline over the screen or something in some cases. They need to make it look really clear and sharp. And while I think they did a decent level taking on the task of making a cohesive art style for all of these characters, it could use some improvement as well.

Ultimately, the more I watched gameplay videos, the more used to the visuals I got so I'm not super worried about that in the end.

My main concern is still if the Super only KO system will end up working out or if it will feel like Final Smashes from Brawl being the only way to KO an opponent. I didn't really like the Final Smash system in Brawl and after the novelty wore out, my friends and I started playing with it turned off. So my overall attitude towards the game for now is skeptical, but excited. I really, really want this to work out.

nah, I didn't mean to imply that. Personally, there are probably more Playstation characters I'm attached to than Nintendo ones. I was simply stating that, while it's nice to get new IPs frequently and I really love that as a Playstation owner, there are also benefits of reusing characters and IPs for generations.

They say that they got actually fighting tournament guys to play the game/give advice, etc. which I doubt Nintendo did. Unless I'm wrong on that.

KingK

I would imagine that the graphics are the last thing to get the final coating with a game like this.

They say that they got actually fighting tournament guys to play the game/give advice, etc. which I doubt Nintendo did. Unless I'm wrong on that.

Yeah, like I said, I'm still excited to see more and to play it for myself, I'm just a little skeptical/cautious about getting too hyped at this point. I'll still almost certainly buy it though unless it ends up being shit. It does seem like there doing a lot of things right though. Kratos and his moves look almost exactly how I had envisioned it.

Kyon

Banned

Again, a good chunk of the Smash roster is made up of not well known, B-Tier, Niche characters. Characters like Pit, Captain Falcom, Ice Climbers, Pikmin, Ness, Mr Game & Watch hell even R.O.B who was an accessory if I remember aren't iconic. The only notable ones that the average casual gamer would know about are the major 6: Mario, Zelda, Kirby,Metroid, DK and Pokemon. Sony's Icons are made up of Crash, Spyro, Kratos, Nathan, Sackboy and the other obvious ones I'm missing. They may not be as iconic as Mario but they are up there. I don't get how people keep thinking they aren't

gosox333

So you guys think we're gonna be calling this "All stars", or "Battle royale" in casual? Like, "Hey, let's go play All Stars." or "You wanna play Battle Royale?"

There's no way we'll be trudging through the whole awful name forever.

BHK3

Banned
I really don't like the supers being the only way to kill people, the best example would just be final smashes only and that sounds very, very boring.

KingK

So you guys think we're gonna be calling this "All stars", or "Battle royale" in casual? Like, "Hey, let's go play All Stars." or "You wanna play Battle Royale?"

I'm assuming it will end up being something like All-Stars is to Smash Bros as Battle Royale is to Melee. So I'll probably refer to it as Battle Royale mostly.

I'm assuming future entries will be titled "Playstation All-Stars ________"

Endo Punk

Gonna use PSAS abbreviation. Sounds like 'pizazz' which this game does have.

SmithnCo

Probably Battle Royale.

Which reminds me I should rewatch that movie.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

If Sony is not that stupid and want this game to sell to japanese PS fans they should have many characters from SCEJ ( Japanese PS fans don't give a flaying poop about Kratos or the Helghast)

these SCEJ guys should/must be in -at least- if Sony want to purplish this game in Japan.

-Toro,Kuro (SCEJ mascot)
-Spike and Specter (Ape Escape )
-Ari and Stan (Okage: Shadow King)
-Dart and Rose (Legend of Dragoon)
-Vibri ( Vib Ribbon)
-Robbit Jumbing Flash)
-Pietro (PoPoLoCrois)
-Ellen and Keats (Folklore)
-Maximilian and Monica (Dark Cloud 2)

I really hope the game is not full of PS3 era SCEE/SCEA characters (the fact that Fat Princess is in made me very worried about the roster)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly

It's not about emotional attachment it's about marketability. Sony wants this game to sell well. If the characters don't matter at all then the developers simply could have made up a whole new batch of characters just for this game.

No matter how good a game like this is, it is always better to have recognizable playable characters rather than unknown new characters. Doing this increases the marketability of the game, and thus increases the sales of the game exponentially.

In that same regard you just can't stick any characters in the game, and expect it to sell well. The characters chosen have to have a certain likability and appeal to them that would make a large amount of gamers want to play as or against them.

For the game to simply be fun, the characters used shouldn't be an issue at all. But if the game is to sell well enough to warrant sequels, then it is usually a good idea to have as many high profile iconic characters as possible in order to market it to the fans of those characters.

Gartooth

I will preorder this game immediately if I hear that Sony managed to get Naughty Dog/Insomniac era Crash and Spyro in this game. Don't have a clue if it would happen though, Crash is a dead IP at this point and Skylanders may prove troublesome for Spyro, choosing to represent that game instead of his PS1 incarnation wouldn't be celebrating Playstation's history.

Endo Punk

Invisible Walls talks about the game and this is what they basically think:
"Durr too late for dis game, Sony no have popular charaters, vy nawt copy all of SSB!"

KingK

I really don't like the supers being the only way to kill people, the best example would just be final smashes only and that sounds very, very boring.

I understand your apprehension on the concept, and I share your skepticism to a degree, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread there was a game called Shrek Super Slam that I remember playing years ago that used a nearly identical battle system (only in a Power Stone 3D environment). I remember the game actually being quite a bit of fun, albeit extremely rough around the edges (it was just some licenses game made by a shitty developer, so it's to be expected). But it gives me hope that a talented dev team could make something exciting out of the concept.

Not sure how it'll stack up against Smash, but I really do want to give it a shot and hope it turns out great.

KevinCow

Banned
Yeah, truly.

Thats the good thing about a company that creates a lot of new IP's, rather than just sticking to the same mascots. No offense to Nintendo, just saying that Sony probably has a bigger pool to choose from.

Come on, now. I like Sony's stuff, and I think they've developed a much better lineup than many people are giving them credit for. They may not have a character as iconic as Mario, but that is a ridiculously high standard. Regardless, they've managed to build up a good roster of recognizable faces, old and new, popular and obscure.

But that bolded part? Crazy talk, yo. Nintendo's pool is Olympic-size. Brawl has 35 characters, and even if you upped that to 50 for the next game, you still probably wouldn't be able cover all the most popular requests. There just aren't many companies out there who can compete with Nintendo on that.

I bet Sony Smash will used as shorthand for some people. It's just easy and you know what a person means when they say it.

So what happens in this game when your health bar drops to zero, do you just die and respawn? I've missed where they've possibly covered this in detail.

zulux21

I bet Sony Smash will used as shorthand for some people. It's just easy and you know what a person means when they say it.

So what happens in this game when your health bar drops to zero, do you just die and respawn? I've missed where they've possibly covered this in detail.

there is no health bar in the game, the only way to die is to be hit by a super move.

prwxv3

Invisible Walls talks about the game and this is what they basically think:
"Durr too late for dis game, Sony no have popular charaters, vy nawt copy all of SSB!"

It was kind of weird watching that after watching their pretty positive in depth 2 part video of the game.

kuroshiki

Man. looking at this makes me realize that we need Konami all stars.

To those people who think Nintendo has olympic size casts, those people don't have slightest clue what Konami has in its sleeves in terms of characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom