• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pic Relevant to thread...

iT7G0l.jpg

..This game could use some Valkyria Chronicles.

Kyon

Banned
I'm glad to see that so many of you are still as excited as ever for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. From when I first revealed the game 6 months ago in October, it's definitely been talked about quite a bit and I think it's great that after all this time, the hype is just as intense.

Here's to E3 2012 where you're going to see a lot more. Trust me, including 3rd party characters! :)

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...ots-logo-and-3rd-party-character-info-within/

Yessss! You better get that promo :D

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
They added the rpg from Uncharted? That thing was a one-hit-kill lol.

I'm curious as to who these high level fighting games players are exactly. I heard Ed Ma is working on the game, but the person being interviewed implied there were more than a few who were working on the game.

KingK

I just want to see the intro video of this game at E3 and I want it to be at least half as awesome as Melee's intro.

Also, Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles could have a pretty awesome move list if Sega was on board.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Franchises that I would like to see for stages:

MotorStorm
Gran Turismo
Shadow of the Colossus
Flower/Journey?
Wipeout
Resistance
Heavy Rain?

daffy

Banned
Just to clarify, I never said these things. I said I'm concerned that this will be the case, and that I have a hard time seeing it being a competitive fighter, not that it definitely wont be. In fact, I tried to make it abundantly clear in my post that I understand I'm working off of limited knowledge and could be completely wrong.

I guess I just feel that if people can go about saying that this game looks great for such and such reason without having played it (which is fine, it does look fun!), I should be allowed to calmly state what worries me about the game based off of what I've seen as well.
:) ok. Your post yes?
People have pointed out that smash balls are unbalanced. Very true! They were! I love playing with them on for fun, but it's the truth. That's why they were optional and usually turned off in competitive tournaments. But this game is designed to have no ability to turn off supers. Imagine not having the choice to turn off smash balls in brawl. Suddenly it becomes a much less competitive game due to the inherent imbalance of supers. This game is designed with that mindset. It's going to be hard enough to balance character movesets in a game like this. Trust me. But balancing supers??? No way man. Game over. I no longer see how this game can be taken seriously on a competitive level.

you quite succinctly said earlier that you had no idea how the game could be taken seriously on a competitive level. sounds like a dismissal to me. You also said its designed so that supers are mandatory (a game still 6months away), but isn't there a custom games mode in which theoretically, the mechanics could be changed in such a way as to allow health? Im just saying.

Paul Gale

I quite often updated SuperBot, Sony, and more with the article on my site that allowed gamers to submit their questions, comments, suggestions, etc. to them and they've been listening. Though I can't confirm any 3rd party character yet, at least I confirm that they'll be present. Before I knew they were considering it, but it wasn't a guarantee. Now I know it's coming. Less than 39 days!

plainr_

I quite often updated SuperBot, Sony, and more with the article on my site that allowed gamers to submit their questions, comments, suggestions, etc. to them and they've been listening. Though I can't confirm any 3rd party character yet, at least I confirm that they'll be present. Before I knew they were considering it, but it wasn't a guarantee. Now I know it's coming. Less than 39 days!

Thanks again for breaking the news!

KingK

Do you know the number of characters in the game, and if so are you at all able to tell or give ranges? More than 20?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I'm guessing we'll get Altair from Assassin's Creed, Solid Snake, and maybe something from Square (though I'm not as hopeful)

Thanks for the news bits. You were spot on with your articles. How much progress has the game made now from when you first reported on it?

guek

Banned
:) ok. Your post yes?

you quite succinctly said earlier that you had no idea how the game could be taken seriously on a competitive level. sounds like a dismissal to me.

You can conveniently ignore my statements after that paragraph if you want. Makes no difference to me man *shrugs*

KingK

So how many 3rd party characters you guys think we'll see? 2? 4? 6?

My guess would be 2-6, no more than that. They don't want this to be "3rd party all stars featuring Sony characters." It needs to feel like the 3rd party characters are small enough in number to feel like guest appearances rather than the main attraction.

prwxv3

It looks like things have settled down hopefully we get less "Its like a exact carbon copy of Smash Bros", "Fat Princess even has the same moves as Peach", ect. And we get good constructive criticism for Superbot to take a look at.

My guess would be 2-6, no more than that. They don't want this to be "3rd party all stars featuring Sony characters." It needs to feel like the 3rd party characters are small enough in number to feel like guest appearances rather than the main attraction.

But the president of Superbot even acknowledges that third party games are a big part of the history of PS. So if this really is a tribute to PS, then it isn't something that can or should be ignored. It's unlikely that PS3 would even exist without Sony's relationships with third party devs.

KingK

Oh god, i'm dreading how much they're probably going to exploit DLC and pre-order bonuses for this game. Worst fucking trend this gen.

So if I understand this:

-attacking builds up your own meter
-extra powerful attacks can knock full bars out of players, which can then be picked up by other players
-bars give you super attacks, which straight up murder other characters
-there's no killing by knocking players off the stage, making this surprisingly different from smash bros

Is that all? Anything I missed?

WinFonda

Eh, it's "Playstation" allstars. That's encompassing of 3rd parties too. I wouldn't mind if the roster was 50/50. Just whatever character makes a great addition and is quintessential playstation.

Neiteio

Someday when Apple destroys Sony so that they survive only as a game studio, and said game studio joins forces with Nintendo to combat Apple, we'll have an All-Stars vs. Smash Bros. game, and in its greatness it will overthrow Apple, and children will play in the streets.

impact

Banned
Someday when Apple destroys Sony so that they survive only as a game studio, and said game studio joins forces with Nintendo to combat Apple, we'll have an All-Stars vs. Smash Bros. game, and in its greatness it will overthrow Apple, and children will play in the streets.

No Sony > Sony + Apple

Apple is evil.

KingK

I am ok with costume DLC.

Yeah, I'm fine with stuff like that, because I just won't buy it, but if they have actual playable characters and stages as pre-order bonuses and shit I'll be pissed.

So if I understand this:

-attacking builds up your own meter
-extra powerful attacks can knock full bars out of players, which can then be picked up by other players
-bars give you super attacks, which straight up murder other characters
-there's no killing by knocking players off the stage, making this surprisingly different from smash bros

Is that all? Anything I missed?

That's pretty much the gist of it so far.

Eh, it's "Playstation" allstars. That's encompassing of 3rd parties too. I wouldn't mind if the roster was 50/50. Just whatever character makes a great addition and is quintessential playstation.

50/50 seems way too much. I don't want them just throwing in any 3rd party character who's ever made an appearance on a Playstation. For a 3rd party to be in, I want them to have to have been exclusive to Playstation at one point, and to have been vital in building Playstation's popularity or identity.

Snake, Cloud, Lara Croft, Crash, and Spyro are the only ones that I think should definitely be in. I'd also be open to Dante from DMC and some more obscure characters like Selvaria from VC. But if we get to the point where characters like Ezio, James Bond (lol), CoD soldier, or whatever are put in, I'll be a little disappointed.

cednym

Banned
Snake, Cloud, Lara Croft, Crash, and Spyro are the only ones that I think should definitely be in.

I think Resident Evil and Tekken were just as vital to the PlayStation brand in the '90s as all of those. I wouldn't mind seeing Leon and Jin.

KillGore

Snake, Cloud, Lara Croft, Crash, and Spyro are the only ones that I think should definitely be in. I'd also be open to Dante from DMC and some more obscure characters like Selvaria from VC. But if we get to the point where characters like Ezio, James Bond (lol), CoD soldier, or whatever are put in, I'll be a little disappointed.

Do it SE

Final_Form.png

KingK

A Jet Moto level would be awesome. I loved that game. And no way Sora gets in it. Disney won't allow it.

A single tear just ran down the side of my cheek. I would sell my firstborn child for a Nintendo vs. Playstation Smash Bros game.

Neiteio

Ugh, fuck shit like CoD soldier and James Bond. *officenooo.gif*

No. Hell no. Dante, Spyro, Lara, Snake, etc -- all good. Other first-party greats like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Sly Cooper, etc -- most definitely. But anything licensed from outside videogames (like Bond) or generic (dudebro soldier)? Hellz naw.

I'm surprisingly interested in this game, despite my first impression of it being charmless greys bashing soulless browns. Seeing it in motion definitely ramped up the appeal, showing the game has a bit of personality to spare. Not Smash Bros. levels of magic, but something special all is own. The fact the stages themselves are crossovers is neat.

KillGore

I prefer Sony hardware with Nintendo software so it would be better for Nintendo to drop out in my opinion. Join forces with Sony and help on R&D and software.

A Jet Moto level would be awesome. I loved that game. And no way Sora gets in it. Disney won't allow it.

I've always been confused about this. Does Disney own the character of Sora or is it SE? Is it both? Why wouldn't Disney allow it though? There's no blood in the game and wouldn't they get payed for using Sora? or are they just that greedy?

prwxv3

Ugh, fuck shit like CoD soldier and James Bond. *officenooo.gif*

No. Hell no. Dante, Spyro, Lara, Snake, etc -- all good. Other first-party greats like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Sly Cooper, etc -- most definitely. But anything licensed from outside videogames (like Bond) or generic (dudebro soldier)? Hellz naw.

I'm surprisingly interested in this game, despite my first impression of it being charmless greys bashing soulless browns. Seeing it in motion definitely ramped up the appeal, showing the game has a bit of personality to spare. Not Smash Bros. levels of magic, but something special all is own. The fact the stages themselves are crossovers is neat.

I think it could be far more absurd then Smash Bros. seeing Parappa beating the shit out of Kratos and vise versa is surreal.

WinFonda

50/50 seems way too much. I don't want them just throwing in any 3rd party character who's ever made an appearance on a Playstation. For a 3rd party to be in, I want them to have to have been exclusive to Playstation at one point, and to have been vital in building Playstation's popularity or identity.
Well... I didn't say they should just throw any character in there! But certainly, there are 3rd party characters that are more representative of Playstation than say, Fat Princess..

KingK

I think Resident Evil and Tekken were just as vital to the PlayStation brand in the '90s as all of those. I wouldn't mind seeing Leon and Jin.

Yeah, I kinda forgot about Resident Evil. I wouldn't mind a rep from that game. Tekken I'm pretty meh on, but I wouldn't bitch about its inclusion.

Well... I didn't say they should just throw any character in there! But certainly, there are 3rd party characters that are more representative of Playstation than say, Fat Princess..

lol, no disagreement on that. I guess Fat Princess was just in to increase female count and to rep PSN games. Still, I would prefer Sony first party characters to maintain a health majority of the roster spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom