• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
People complaining about supers? Oh boy it's MK9 all over again. By the way, there's no perfectly balanced fighting game. Super Street Fighter 4 and KoF13 are probably the closest thing.

But this game isn't even a fighting game so it's kind of irrelevant.

-viper-

Banned
I would just like to chime in and say I could not care less if the game is an exact clone of SSB.

As long as the final product looks good and plays good, I'll buy it. Nothing more, nothing less. We live in a world where 95% of FPS games are exactly the same. And now we have a tirade of posters throwing a hissy fit that it's similar to SSB? Hahaha.

SykoTech

Man, it's like all the guy playing as Sweet Tooth knows how to do is drop mines. Lol.

Thanks for the vids though, cednym.

Yeah I'll say my only concern is I'm not a big fan of health in these types of games along with being forced to jump in the fights. Also not quite sold on mashing up stages with different game themes. Also focusing the game around their supers.

Well, there is no health.

Loudninja

Now, limiting kills to supers only might sound radical, but it actually opens the game up to a tremendous degree. For one, the fact that getting knocked off a screen edge can't kill you, means that staying at the edges of the screen and controlling space with long range attacks is actually completely viable. For instance, Killzone's Colonel Radec is the kind of character that simply couldn't compete in Smash due to his need to stay far away from opponents. His vast array of sniper rifle, machine gun and grenade launcher attacks are deadly at range, but up close, he's nearly defenseless. With such strong keep away play being introduced, it only made sense to create characters who are skilled at rushing down projectile based characters. Sly Cooper fills that role perfectly. Instead of blocking when you hold L1 he turns invisible, allowing him to prowl the battlefield unnoticed. During another one of his moves he disguises himself as a barrel and moves around. While in this state, he is totally immune to projectiles, allowing him to close in on projectile spammers safely. Once he's a bit closer, he can use his teleport move to instantly appear behind them, where he has access to special backstab attacks that leech AP from his target.

This brings me to another way in which the game benefits from its “super only” kill system. Building, managing and using your AP levels effectively becomes the the focal point of the every match. Any experienced fighting game player will tell you that resource management is an important element in competitive play. Choosing how and when to use your AP is a strategic choice, and your success depends on you choosing wisely. Other games of this kind tend to de-emphasize decision making and focus instead on pure twitch reflexes, which can be a turn off to players of any skill level. The importance of AP also gives special AP generating moves like Parappa's boombox, and AP stealing items like the Spear of Destiny a uniquely vital role in combat.
http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/previews/10445/2/

Gartooth

The life system certainly sounds interesting, but it makes me wonder how the game will work. I hope it isn't broken, its easy to see how it could be considering the entire game revolves around building meter and doing kills via supers.

Also wow at overreactions, I knew they would be apparent, but jeez a Smash clone isn't the end of the world. (Especially because it looks to play drastically different from Smash)

I gotta say after seeing that it was a ssb type fighting game I was a little turned off but after watching a few gameplay videos this looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I wonder which Jak design they're gonna use. I can;t decide if I want Jak 2 or 3, they'll prolly use Jak 3's so they can use light and dark jak.

SSReborn

The life system certainly sounds interesting, but it makes me wonder how the game will work. I hope it isn't broken, its easy to see how it could be considering the entire game revolves around building meter and doing kills via supers.

Also wow at overreactions, I knew they would be apparent, but jeez a Smash clone isn't the end of the world. (Especially because it looks to play drastically different from Smash)

I just think they need a system in which you can defend against a super as well if you have the bar to do so then it will solve problems when it comes to balance

KevinCow

Banned
Maybe we could wait until the game is out and people have tried to play it competitively before we start discussing whether it's viable at a competitive level.

They're trying some different stuff. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. I don't think there's any way to really know how well it'll work until it's actually run the rounds.

Has this footage been posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_NJTwbUBM&feature=g-u-u

I think it looks pretty good.

2:30 - Sly has a level 2 super charged up, but uses his level 1. I guess the info that you can't use weaker supers was wrong.

6:50 - Parappa whips out his skateboard, and Kratos is all, "Nope!"

Yeah well said B.O.O.M. It's hard to have any constructive discussion on the game at the moment. I'd give it a day or so when everything calms down and people move on to God of War: Ascension footage.
Are you kidding me? A guy comes in and gave the most constructive post about the game mechanics so far in the thread. Two others respond with some lame meme about the post being too long and now you defend them and then say that you can't discuss the game?\

smfh

A.R.K

This is great news. But why are the visuals so waxed out? This is very contrary to Sony's 1st party titles which are extremely clean and sharp. This looks more like a bad port of a 360 game which most of the time looked like this in comparisons. I hope for the best when this comes out. The game play looks really good and fun.

Gartooth

So what where the others rumored characters from the leak that didn't get announced? I think only Jak & Daxter and Nathan Drake right?

SSReborn

Maybe we could wait until the game is out and people have tried to play it competitively before we start discussing whether it's viable at a competitive level.

They're trying some different stuff. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. I don't think there's any way to really know how well it'll work until it's actually run the rounds.

2:30 - Sly has a level 2 super charged up, but uses his level 1. I guess the info that you can't use weaker supers was wrong.

6:50 - Parappa whips out his skateboard, and Kratos is all, "Nope!"

Didn't the GT guys say his level 1 involved Murray doing a belly flop 5 feet in front of sly?

cednym

Banned
So what where the others rumored characters from the leak that didn't get announced? I think only Jak & Daxter and Nathan Drake right?

Yeah, those are the only two that Paul Gale has flat-out confirmed. He said that SuperBot is considering using Daniel Craig's James Bond as a guest character, though.

zashga

Finally got home and watched some of the videos. Ironically, I have two gut reactions:

1. They're totally ripping off Smash Bros!
  2. They're changing the fundamental rules of Smash Bros, and it doesn't look as fun.
Not entirely fair, I realize. Let's skip to #2, since #1 has been done to death. My biggest concern is that I didn't like super smash attacks in Brawl. They disrupt the match and basically halt normal gameplay for several seconds, so my friends and I usually turn them off even for 4-player craziness. Making supers the entire focus of PSASBR (lol) feels like a mistake. Guess I'll have to play it to see how I like it, but the idea does not inspire enthusiasm.

Still, I want to see more. Bring on the inevitable E3 blowout.

Ultimadrago

On a scale of 1 - 10, what's the level of butthurt in this thread?

Thread overall, I'd say it has died a bit, about a 4-5 now perhaps.

Personally, a 3-4. This game just doesn't look good.
I don't care that it's a Smash Bros. this-that or anything. But the visuals are...off?

Don't ask me for ideas, I'm just speaking for my brain whenever I see the gameplay. Maybe I'll warm to it, maybe not.
That said, the gameplay seems fair enough.

He said they will have characters that players would say "I cant believe they remember that character"

Bust-a-Groove characters confirmed! :D

Has this footage been posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_NJTwbUBM&feature=g-u-u

I think it looks pretty good.

Glad to finally see a full match. This looks super awesome, I don't see how anyone can look at this vid and not be grinning ear to ear (if you're a fan of the genre or Smash bros or whatever).

The controls/animation in particular look like they've truly been mastered by the dev team. Very impressed at how frenetic and fluid everything flows.

prwxv3

Glad to finally see a full match. This looks super awesome, I don't see how anyone can look at this vid and not be grinning ear to ear (if you're a fan of the genre or Smash bros or whatever).

The controls/animation in particular look like they've truly been mastered by the dev team. Very impressed at how frenetic and fluid everything flows.

Dale North from Dtoid sait it controlled amazingly well.

Jezan

So, yes, it's Super Smash Bros. for the PlayStation generation. And why not? "We're fans of fighting games - it's not something we shy away from," says Omar Kendall, game director of mouthful-of-a-title PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.
But GAF told me Smash Bros is not a fighting game D:

also the only complaint I have is: Fat Princess is like fat Peach :p but enough with the comparisons.

what about wavedashing? :mad:

Now that Smash Bros has a rival, it means it will only get better, and we will get awesome games <3

did this thread/topic bring down Neogaf last night? I can't think of anything else that would have. The swarm of both nintenod+sony fanboys rushing to post.

As someone who's play smash on gc+N64; I really don't see anything wrong with this. Even the ONIMUSHA 4p battler kind of looked like this but OMFG SONY IS RIPPING THEM OFF! I certainly didn't read posts like that in that thread when that game surfaced years ago.

Im not sure about the auras; but Ive since read that its a super meter thing so I guess it looks alright. Not sure if I dig the visuals to be honest. Definitely keen to pick this up day 1. I already have 4 controllers to facilitate 4P local MP.

I think that once they show the true SONY superstars like Nathan Drake + SOTC dude etc, I will be excited. It doesnt help that I'm currenly internetless so I won't be watching much videos for this.

kewlmyc

So how does the health system work in this game? How do you know when your character is close to death. I thought they had health bars, but it turns out those are meter bars instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom