• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything can be competitive. Rock, paper scissors can be competitive (and actually has tournaments and competitions) but do most people take it seriously? No. Your argument doesn't make sense, bro.
Nothing you say makes any sense. Just because you don't take competitive Smash Bros seriously some people do, and rightfully so as the game heavily rewards skill. Do you seriously think Capcom thought people would be playing versions of SF2 competitively 20 years after release?

B.O.O.M

Well they are saying the background music will also be mashups! So I guess R&C soundtrack mixed with GOW1 soundtrack for the hydra level?

I think it'd be a cool idea if SuperBot made "COUNTER/DEFENSIVE-SUPER" attacks...

Basically when you gain Super Power levels, you get the option of either using an OFFENSIVE ATTACK, or take a DEFENSIVE position.

So let's say you build up to Level 3 Super, you can either decide to use an OFFENSIVE attack and try and mow down your enemies, OR you can save that Super Power for later, when you notice that another enemy has just activated their Super Attack and then you activate your DEFENSIVE super skill which makes you immune or partially immune to super attacks depending on the level.

Would make for an interesting gameplay decision.

Anything can be competitive. Rock, paper scissors can be competitive (and actually has tournaments and competitions) but do most people take it seriously? No. Your argument doesn't make sense, bro.

What you just said here makes no sense whatsoever. "A lot of people don't take it seriously, therefore it cannot/shouldn't be taken seriously"

I just want you to be aware of that.

Hero

It is a factor....but you said that Randomness/luck should supersede skill. Your assertion is that a superior player shouldn't win more consistently because whatever random factor in the game should override that. This is horrible from a fundamental gameplay standpoint and if you don't understand that then I guess we're at an impasse. But it's simple, really.

I didn't say randomness and luck should supersede skill, I said those are factors into making a balanced, approachable game that can capture a wide audience which is how Smash Bros got so successful to where Sony needs to copy it.

Nothing you say makes any sense. Just because you don't take competitive Smash Bros seriously some people do, and rightfully so as the game heavily rewards skill. Do you seriously think Capcom thought people would be playing versions of SF2 competitively 20 years after release?

I've actually won a Melee tournament that had over 120 entrants before, so don't assume you know anything. Any game can have a competitive following (like Smash Bros, most specifically Melee) but that doesn't mean the game was designed for that. Which is a direct reason why Sakurai specifically altered the way the game played for Brawl because Melee wound up being TOO competitive and why so many people think it was a worse game for that.

What you just said here makes no sense whatsoever. "A lot of people don't take it seriously, therefore it cannot/shouldn't be taken seriously"

I didn't say a lot of people. In fact, a very minority group of people take rock, paper, scissors very seriously but they can still be enthusiast enough to host and run competitions. I just want you to be aware of that.

KingK

Sorry, my bad.

It's all good :p

Yeah, agreed. I want to get a taste of the music.

Paul Gale commented on it briefly, just saying that the LittleBigPlanet stage had awesome music.

Imagine the SOTC stage with a remixed version of this or this playing in the background and Kratos and Wander fighting on top of a moving Colossus. And then Helios shows up throwing down some fire balls :O

edit: fuck, now I've got myself listening to the SOTC soundtrack again lol

King_Moc

Banned
Wins shouldn't be distributed at random. And skilled players should definitely win more games on average. However designing a game that is reliant on skill, without variance, is destined for failure unless the intended demographic is competitive players.

It is a factor....but you said that Randomness/luck should supersede skill. Your assertion is that a superior player shouldn't win more consistently because whatever random factor in the game should override that. This is horrible from a fundamental gameplay standpoint and if you don't understand that then I guess we're at an impasse. But it's simple, really.

Did he?

I didn't say a lot of people. In fact, a very minority group of people take rock, paper, scissors very seriously but they can still be enthusiast enough to host and run competitions. I just want you to be aware of that.

...so the game can't be played competively because only a very small minority play it competively.

You do realize that STILL doesn't make ANY SENSE, yes?

I didn't say randomness and luck should supersede skill, I said those are factors into making a balanced, approachable game that can capture a wide audience which is how Smash Bros got so successful to where Sony needs to copy it.
Approachable? Yes. Balanced? No.

I've actually won a Melee tournament that had over 120 entrants before, so don't assume you know anything. Any game can have a competitive following (like Smash Bros, most specifically Melee) but that doesn't mean the game was designed for that. Which is a direct reason why Sakurai specifically altered the way the game played for Brawl because Melee wound up being TOO competitive and why so many people think it was a worse game for that.
You make no sense at all. The designer's intention is completely irrelevant, if the game is competitively viable it is competitively viable regardless of what the designer wants. As a kid I played Melee with items on and on all the 'cool' levels, people like me back then never thought Melee was 'too competitive'. It sounds like the only people that would get worked up over the game being 'too competitive' is people who play in tournaments and think they deserve to win without actually being good, which is a small minority.

Imm0rt4l

randomness doesn't make a game balanced, approachable yes. And when it was said that as a rule the superior player should win, you said it was "some awful game design logic".

hence the lolwut responses

He did.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

In what way does randomness and luck contribute to a game being competitive, please tell me.

I've actually won a Melee tournament that had over 120 entrants before, so don't assume you know anything.

Really? How recently? What was the name of the tournament?

Hero

...so the game can't be played competively because only a very small minority play it competively.

You do realize that STILL doesn't make ANY SENSE, yes?

I'm going to explain it one last time, in the simplest way I can for you.

Any game, sport or hobby, despite the designer's intent, can have enthusiast followings to the point where tournaments are held. Even Rock, Paper, Scissors have a minority of people that take the game seriously enough but does the average person care? No. The majority of people probably don't give a shit who the champion is. Just because something can be competitive doesn't mean it was supposed to be.

Approachable? Yes. Balanced? No.

You make no sense at all. The designer's intention is completely irrelevant, if the game is competitively viable it is competitively viable regardless of what the designer wants. As a kid I played Melee with items on and on all the 'cool' levels, people like me back then never thought Melee was 'too competitive'. It sounds like the only people that would get worked up over the game being 'too competitive' is people who play in tournaments and think they deserve to win without actually being good.

Despite what you think, Sakurai felt that Melee was too competitive of a game, so the only people that got worked up over it weren't tournament players but the designer himself.

P90

You are so clever.

I would add intelligent, wise, athletic, and spiteful. ;)

Objectively, this game is the 1995-96 Bulls (SSB) v. the 2011-12 Bobcats (PS All Stars). The lone advantage of the PS Allstars is graphics. I'm sure sales will bear this objective assessment out. toodles.

Who ever has the most KOs at the end of the match wins.

You KO people with super moves.

I was watching a vid on GT, and I pray this game offers more options: I like SSB's idea of tension where any move can hurt you, while it suggests to me that getting beat up in this game isn't as much an issue. I also like the tension of ring outs and health, as opposed to just "KO-ing" enemies by grinding for Supers. But what's the strategy of the super levels?

Imm0rt4l

Imagine the SOTC stage with a remixed version of this or this playing in the background and Kratos and Wander fighting on top of a moving Colossus. And then Helios shows up throwing down some fire balls :O

edit: fuck, now I've got myself listening to the SOTC soundtrack again lol

Fuck yea, that would be dope. That first song is gdlk. Think I'm going to go play some sotc.

Ploid 3.0

This is reminding me of the Trayvon threads. There will always be a side argument going on distracting from the information feeding and discussion. People are having to stop and understand a poster while he explain himself ending in a circle going nowhere.

Fuck yea, that would be dope. That first song is gdlk. Think I'm going to go play some sotc.

Sounds like epic boss battle doesn't it ;) (not saying that I know something, but that it would be cool for a colossus to be the boss).

Any game, sport or hobby, despite the designer's intent, can have enthusiast followings to the point where tournaments are held. Even Rock, Paper, Scissors have a minority of people that take the game seriously enough but does the average person care? No. The majority of people probably don't give a shit who the champion is. Just because something can be competitive doesn't mean it was supposed to be.
You still make no sense. "Just because something is competitive doesn't mean it was supposed to be" ?????????? Whether it was suposed to be competitive is 100% irrelevant.

Despite what you think, Sakurai felt that Melee was too competitive of a game, so the only people that got worked up over it weren't tournament players but the designer himself.
Just because he designed the game doesn't mean he is correct. When Melee and Brawl have a bunch of modifiers on they are just as casual-friendly as each other, but one of them has a very clear competitive edge. Seems like only one group loses out here.

I grew up more with Sony and have had a PS3 this gen as my main, so I naturally am very very excited for this game. This is a major title for me for the holidays. If crash and Douro get in, then that'll bring back so many memories. I also want to see some more colorful stages and possibly more fleshed out "shiny-er" graphics. I want the lighting to be dramatic. That is all. If this happens, then this will my PS3's swan song.

Imm0rt4l

This is reminding me of the Trayvon threads. There will always be a side argument going on distracting from the information feeding and discussion. People are having to stop and understand a poster while he explain himself ending in a circle going nowhere.

Sounds like epic boss battle doesn't it ;) (not saying that I know something, but that it would be cool for a colossus to be the boss).

Yea it really does, I could see a colossus being an integral part of a stage seeing as their seems to be a lot of interactions between the background and foreground.

And agreed on your first point in regards to circular arguments on the web, it sometimes goes nowhere especially if someone doubles back on their original assertion basically conceding the argument, but continuing the argue for the sake of it. Sometimes we gotta just keep it moving.

In any case I'm cautiously optimistic about the game.

Petrichor

I have done this:

heroes360_0194zmz.jpg

Microsoft could easily fill a 20-character roster in a game like this with their RARE franchises + third party games associated with the console, like ninja gaiden, mass effect, bioshock etc

Something like:

Master Chief (Halo)
Marcus Fenix (Gears)
Big Daddy (Bioshock)
Red Knight (Castle Crashers)
Joanna Dark
Darth Revan (KOTOR)
Kameo
Garrus (Mass Effect)
Agent (Crackdown)
Conker
Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell)
Frank West (Dead Rising)
Reaver/Hammer/Garth (Fable 2)
Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Banjo and Kazooie
Captain Price (COD4)
Shu (Blue Dragon)
Ayane (Dead or Alive)
Tim (Braid)
Kaim (Lost Odyssey)
'Splosion Man
Alan Wake

It mightn't be a roster filled to the brim with major iconic characters but it'd be functional. Can't say I think microsoft should do it though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I just can't believe how dumb that title is.

Nobody is going to remember it. They're just going to call it Sony Smash Brothers.

And let me explain this to YOU in the simplest way possible.

That

Doesn't

MATTER

Just because a game WASN'T built with competition in mind, doesn't mean it CANNOT be competitive. What part of that is so hard for you to grasp?

Ploid 3.0

Yea it really does, I could see a colossus being an integral part of a stage seeing as their seems to be a lot of interactions between the background and foreground.

And agreed on your first point in regards to circular arguments on the web, it sometimes goes nowhere especially if someone doubles back on their original assertion basically conceding the argument, but continuing the argue for the sake of it. Sometimes we gotta just keep it moving.

In any case I'm cautiously optimistic about the game.

Ok that's it, a colossus is the final stage, and the boss is something else, but you have to fight them both. Or the second element of the stage is something that's constantly trying to attack you as you make your way up the colossus. In any case a colossus is a no brainer for a stage in this game.

prwxv3

I am always blown away when there are actual people that act surprised when someone else does not like Nintendo characters but likes Sony characters.

Mxrz

Still don't see why some people seemingly feel threatened by this enough to troll. That's some real psychological hangups style stuff.

Anyway. Really would be nice if the developers put up one entire unedited match. They said they're reading forums, maybe a couple are reading this. Neeeeeed more video!

I've actually won a Melee tournament that had over 120 entrants before, so don't assume you know anything.

That sounds kind of big. Out of curiosity which one was it?

Microsoft could easily fill a 20-character roster in a game like this with their RARE franchises + third party games associated with the console, like ninja gaiden, mass effect, bioshock etc

Something like:

Master Chief (Halo)
Marcus Fenix (Gears)
Big Daddy (Bioshock)
Joanna Dark
Darth Revan (KOTOR)
Kameo
Garrus (Mass Effect)
Agent (Crackdown)
Conker
Frank West (Dead Rising)
Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Banjo and Kazooie
Captain Price (COD4)
Shu (Blue Dragon)
Tim (Braid)
Kaim (Lost Odyssey)
'Splosion Man
Alan Wake

It mightn't be a roster filled to the brim with major iconic characters but it'd be functional. Can't say I think microsoft should do it though.
Yeah I don't think it should be done yet either, a few more generations of built up franchises, because one for the Xbox would mostly be made up of characters seen elsewhere.

I imagine Splosion Man would be fun to play with, Alan Wake would be pretty boring though.

KingK

I was watching a vid on GT, and I pray this game offers more options: I like SSB's idea of tension where any move can hurt you, while it suggests to me that getting beat up in this game isn't as much an issue. I also like the tension of ring outs and health, as opposed to just "KO-ing" enemies by grinding for Supers. But what's the strategy of the super levels?

Well, the idea is that as you beat up your opponents, you fill up your Super meter, but there are also items/moves that opponents can use on you to decrease your Super meter. There are 3 levels of Super, and once you get to level 1 Super, you can either use it, or keep building up to higher levels. The incentive to build up is that the higher level Supers are more likely to KO opponents and easier to land hits with, to the point where you're most likely guaranteed to get a few KOs with a level 3 Super. It's kinda like reverse Smash Bros where instead of attacking your opponent to weaken them and then deliver a final blow, you attack opponents to strengthen yourself and then deliver a final blow.

However, I share your concerns about how well it will end up working out. I'm a bit skeptical for now, but I'm also pretty excited to try it out myself.

ShadowOS

Banned
You still make no sense. "Just because something is competitive doesn't mean it was supposed to be" ?????????? Whether it was suposed to be competitive is 100% irrelevant.

Just because he designed the game doesn't mean he is correct. When Melee and Brawl have a bunch of modifiers on they are just as casual-friendly as each other, but one of them has a very clear competitive edge. Seems like only one group loses out here.
yep, nailed it. im gonna copy&paste a post i made on another forum not too long ago about the same subject.

there's not really heavy modification. playing the game without items is an option just as it's an option to play it with items. the competitive scene deemed items to be non-competitive and thus turned them off. some stages that are downright silly for competitive play get banned. it's simple.

some people don't see a point in limiting items and stages, but that's because they don't play the game at a competitive level. they're the same people that want to win, but call wavedashing "cheap". if they want to win or play the game seriously, they have to get serious about becoming competitive. if they refuse to learn strong techniques and want the game to be played their way then the competitive scene won't really care for their input anyway and two separate worlds are created. really one could argue that the more casual smash players impose just as many rules as the competitive ones ("all items at X frequency, no wavedashing, no ledge hogging, all stages!").

so with that said, the competitive group loses out on a potentially amazing new experience because of a group of players with egos that don't have the skill or dedication to try to back it up. instead we get watered down garbage that YAY EVERYONE CAN PLAY AND BE "GOOD" AT even though it's incredibly bland

it's sort of the new thing with the gaming industry this generation. babying groups of people to make them think they're better than they are

Something like:

Master Chief (Halo)
Marcus Fenix (Gears)
Big Daddy (Bioshock)
Joanna Dark
Darth Revan (KOTOR)
Kameo
Garrus (Mass Effect)
Agent (Crackdown)
Conker
Frank West (Dead Rising)
Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Banjo and Kazooie
Captain Price (COD4)
Shu (Blue Dragon)
Ayane (Dead or Alive)
Tim (Braid)
Kaim (Lost Odyssey)
'Splosion Man
Alan Wake

Owned by MS

Master Chief (Halo)
Joanna Dark
Kameo
Agent (Crackdown)
Conker
Banjo and Kazooie

Owned by 3rd Party
Marcus Fenix (Gears)
Darth Revan (KOTOR)
Kaim (Lost Odyssey)
'Splosion Man
Alan Wake

Not exclusive and can be found on Sony or Nintendo platforms
Big Daddy (Bioshock)
Garrus (Mass Effect)
Frank West (Dead Rising)
Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Captain Price (COD4)
Shu (Blue Dragon)
Ayane (Dead or Alive)
Tim (Braid)

cyborg009

Banned
I think it's definitely still more like Smash than anything else, but Dissidia's Brave system is actually a pretty decent comparison to this battle system.

I actually wanted that style instead... hopefully it find a way similar to dissidia online modes which were great

guek

Banned
Came back in here to see if the chaos has died down a bit. NOPE.

Guys, I understand how derisive comparisons to SSB might be getting incredibly annoying, but you many of you are seriously approaching every single bit of criticism as if the validity of those concerns are automatically going make All Stars a terrible game. It's also leading many of you to dismiss SSB as anything but a great game. This is just one man's opinion, but having literally devoted years to playing both melee and brawl against other competitive players, I find it sad that you have to get defensive to the point where you feel the need to mock a brilliant game.

But maybe as someone who played smash competitively, I can lay out the potential problems with All Star's system from a fight scene point of view.

First off, it's important to note that this game, like smash, is going to be one hell of a fucking bitch to balance. This comes with the territory though. I don't think you guys appreciate how much more balanced Brawl is over Melee (excluding MK of course), but I don't expect anyone who hasn't played them on a competitive level to "get" that. Consider how stage layout has a monumental layout on how fights play out. Couple that with potentially having more than 2 players on the screen, the random aspect of items, the impact larger stages have on the use of projectile attacks, and the fact that victories should not be based solely on combos. That last point is incredibly important, and I'll tell you why it's true, and why it makes the fighting mechanics worrisome.

As I was saying, proper use of stage layout is vital. Why? Because differing stage layouts suddenly incorporates varying degrees of platforming skill into each match. Well duh, but why is this important to limiting combos? Because unlike flat plane 2D fighters, fighting games of this nature view evasion as an incredibly important and valuable skill. This is related to avoiding being edge guarded as well as simply avoiding being killed.

But here's the problem. The reason combos should not be the basis of skill is because it would make the game much more shallow at higher levels of play. In a flat plane 2D fighter, combos are your bread and butter because you have no other option to win. You're not going anywhere, your opponent will always be right in front of you, and you have to get their bar down in order to win. The purpose of those games is it "catch" your opponent and them punish them for it by taking away large chunks of their life bar. Compare this with smash. In SSB, stages are comparatively immense, platforming skill gives you a method of avoiding combat until you find a strategic position, and winning is not a determined by hit points. For this reason, combos are relatively short (yes, I'm omitting infinites and if you can't figure out why, I suggest you think a little harder) because the game wants to give you as many opportunities to run away as possible so that you still have a realistic shot of winning even if you're carrying a high damage percentage. A player with 100% damage facing an opponent with 10% damage is at a distinct disadvantage, yes, but the game mechanics still provide amble opportunity for the handicapped player to win based on strategic positioning and attack and defense that is entirely based on skill.

Now lets compare this with what I find worrisome about how All Stars functions as a fighter. Here are my problems with the system neatly laid out for you to disagree with :p

- The game discourages tactical evasion. The player that does not participate head on is at a distinct disadvantage because they are less likely to score points. This makes the game considerably less interesting because it narrows the different types of play styles that are viable. It forces players to engage opponents similarly to what you would expect to see in a flat 2D fighter, which is a damn shame. One of the reasons smash is so amazing is because of the high variety of strategies that can be employed among the different characters. The evasion mechanic allows for mind games, distraction techniques, and intelligent use of level layout. I do believe all of those things will be present in All Stars, but I think the game mechanics will make them less important and outright discourage a lot of the interesting types of play you see in Smash.

- They've said that All Stars will incorporate longer combos, and frankly I think that's a huge mistake. Yes, the more skilled player should have the advantage, but the way this game seems to work, the handicap becomes increasingly larger as the game progresses. This makes the possibility of a comeback much smaller, which frankly makes the game less interesting. Longer combos mean that the competitiveness of the disadvantaged player falls at a much quicker rate, and with the end goal of winning relying entirely on landing those combos in order to get supers, it's going to snowball. Once a player starts winning, the other player's chance of winning deteriorates because the game is dependent on filling bars. Compare that with Smash where your ability to land a kill always remains constant. There's also the fact that being on the receiving end of attacks lowers your own bar, exasperating the issue.

- There is no automatic reset to zero after deaths. While this wont matter in 1v1 matches, consider 4 player FFAs or 2v2s. Let's say you have players A, B, C, and D in a FFA. Player A builds up their super bar and kills player B. Meanwhile, player C and D exchange blows and fill their bars but do not land a kill. When player B respawns, they start their new life at a distinct disadvantage against players C and D. Compare this to Smash where the newly revived player B would have an edge over all the other players for a short period of time due to being fresh at 0% and the other players having incurred damage. However, I might be wrong about this gripe if player B retained their bar meter entirely after death, but I don't think that's the case (and please correct me if it is).

- People have pointed out that smash balls are unbalanced. Very true! They were! I love playing with them on for fun, but it's the truth. That's why they were optional and usually turned off in competitive tournaments. But this game is designed to have no ability to turn off supers. Imagine not having the choice to turn off smash balls in brawl. Suddenly it becomes a much less competitive game due to the inherent imbalance of supers. This game is designed with that mindset. It's going to be hard enough to balance character movesets in a game like this. Trust me. But balancing supers??? No way man. Game over. I no longer see how this game can be taken seriously on a competitive level.

All of these concerns lead me to seriously doubt the competitive viability of All Stars.

Ok, now for the end of rant disclaimer. I want you guys to realize that I'm trying to be as respectful as possible. Please at least give me some credit for that. I'm not saying this game is just a clone of smash that shouldn't exist or that Sony should be sued or any of that nonsense. I'm merely comparing it to SSB because that's the obvious thing to do. This is because SSB is the game with which it holds the largest amount of similarities, so comparisons are natural. I haven't played this game so I understand that I might be 100% completely off base. If you feel like I am, please correct me! But please be polite about it. I don't know everything about this game and I could have very easily misunderstood its fighting mechanics, so I urge to set me straight if you find an error in assessment. Lastly, I want to say that I am not saying this game wont be enjoyable. It's just that the last few pages have been comparing it with SSB on a competitive level and I wanted to chime in having been a long time competitive SSB player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom