• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SykoTech

IGN Live Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0asaJlx5TQ

Includes Drake and Big Daddy Gameplay

Drake looks so cool

It might just be me, but it kinda looks like they tweaked the super aura that glows around the characters. Looks better now. And the footage is great. Should have shown this on stage instead.

Considering buying this Day 1, but they really should have revealed more than 2 characters at a big event like E3. Even DOA5 had more to show than that.

I'm very excited about this game, what are the graphical differences between the ps3 and vita versions?

None. Sony has reached the potential to allow both games to run exactly the same. The Vita IS a PS3 inside a screen without a power supply and blu ray drive.

DAT FUTURE!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Colours still appear muted to me. They really need to consider making it brighter. The same with LBPK. They both look a little dull.

I hope they announce a couple more characters before the next big conference. Otherwise it's going to be a long wait.

Trust me, they are not muted in the least.

It's kind of weird watching it on video, and then actually playing it in person, on a TV or Vita.

I thought the colors really popped compared to videos we've scene.

It looked fantastic and sharp on the Vita in particular.

evolution

I guess they will be revealing the rest of the 3rd party characters at the next two shows. It might be more beneficial to announce a Japanese character at tgs.

cednym

Banned
lol where did you get the idea that it won't be?

It doesn't have an official Japanese site, it doesn't have a Japanese Wikipedia page, the English Wikipedia page doesn't list a Japanese release, and all of the articles I've found from Japanese sites are just translations from English sources. I'm not saying that it won't come out in Japan, but I haven't seen or heard anything suggesting that it will.

Drencrom

VxTPu.jpg

The new tags for the Battle Royale trailer.

I guess 'Ratchet and Clank' and 'Jak and Daxter' will be revealed next.

It doesn't have an official Japanese site, it doesn't have a Japanese Wikipedia page, the English Wikipedia page doesn't list a Japanese release, and all of the articles I've found from Japanese sites are just translations from English sources. I'm not saying that it won't come out in Japan, but I haven't seen or heard anything suggesting that it will.

Oh ok, i'm still pretty sure that it'll be released in Japan even though their coverage for the Japanese isn't top notch atm.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
VxTPu.jpg

The new tags for the Battle Royale trailer.

I guess 'Ratchet and Clank' and 'Jak and Daxter' will be revealed next.

I think that refers to the Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter themed-levels we've seen so far. That's why Buzz and LBP is in there too.

olimpia84

Fuck this game. At first I was not even considering getting this but now that they announced Big Daddy as one of the fighters I'm seriously thinking in getting this

Duffyside

Banned
I was never super-against this game or anything, but I did cringe a bit at seeing how Smash brothers it was.

I'm now all-in and really excited to buy it day one. All the supers just seem like a ton of fun, and I've only seen like six characters so far. Just saw the Big Daddy's level 3 thanks to loudninja's link; anyone have a link to Drake's level 2 and 3?

Kurod

Banned
I was never super-against this game or anything, but I did cringe a bit at seeing how Smash brothers it was.

I'm now all-in and really excited to buy it day one. All the supers just seem like a ton of fun, and I've only seen like six characters so far. Just saw the Big Daddy's level 3 thanks to loudninja's link; anyone have a link to Drake's level 2 and 3?

No video but here's a screenshot of his level 3 from the official site

screenshot-04.jpg

MrMephistoX

Not sure if it was posted or not but the PS livestream just had a tournament for the game featuring cos-players for all the major announced characters and Jill from RE along with Mileena from Mortal Kombat: stealth character reveals?

Has anyone else seen the "Who do you want in the game" album on their facebook page? There is 20 characters shown, each with a little description. It's a crappy list if it's of what's to come. It ranges from the obvious (R&C, J&D, Nariko) to the hopeful (classic Spyro, classic-ess Crash, Cloud) to the downright stupid (James Bond, Juliet Starling from LP, and mother fucking Goku).

I pray to GOD he's in the game, and he's actually called "mother fucking Goku"

SmithnCo

Not sure if it was posted or not but the PS livestream just had a tournament for the game featuring cos-players for all the major announced characters and Jill from RE along with Mileena from Mortal Kombat: stealth character reveals?

Were they official cosplayers or just random people cosplaying?

Maybe they let them in because its characters they want in the game.

Loudninja

E3: PS All-Stars Battle Royale hands-on: Drake, Big Daddy
Drake
Bringing a gun to a slap fight is always a difficult proposition for a fighting game, so I was a bit skeptical of how Drake would fit in among melee-focused characters like Parappa the Rapper and Kratos. As it turns out, Drake is perfectly competent at close-quarters and mid-range combat. That shouldn't be a surprise if you've played Uncharted. I just didn't think Sony would pull it off.

As Drake, you can pummel enemies up close with some fierce-looking hand-to-hand blows, fire guns in all directions, and quickly traverse areas by magically summoning a zip line to ride. Drake feels really agile and his wide arsenal of weapons gives him a lot of depth. You can fire a shotgun into the air, an Uzi downward, and a silenced pistol to your sides, and toss grenades for extra damage.

The way Drake moves around is unique and gives him a steep learning curve (which I love!). Using a zip line feels awkward at first, but once you learn how to position it to your advantage, you can get the jump on your opponents in creative ways. My absolute favorite thing about Drake is his bizarre cover system. By pressing down and circle, you can call forth cover and hide behind it. You can take potshots from it, or jump to the other side and do some melee moves. There is something hilarious about seeing Drake fire a grenade launcher at Fat Princess.

Big Daddy
It's in his name: BioShock's primary baddie is a big, lumbering mess of steel and measured rage. Cramming him into a fighting game, though intriguing, seemed like an unwise move on Sony's part, but the developers have done an admirable job of making him fit into All-Stars.

Big Daddy is a bit smaller and far more agile than his FPS incarnations, but he still feels like the character we know and fear. He can dash across the screen, a move that keeps him shielded from enemy attacks, or use his drill for a powerful melee attack and a variety of plasmids for mid-range damage. Shocking an enemy, dashing into them, and then ramming them with your drill is a lot of fun. Though Irrational Games didn't touch All-Stars, Sony has wonderfully captured BioShock's signature character while making him a wee bit smaller.
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-ps-all-stars-battle-royale-hands-on-drake-big-daddy-228918.phtml

They really are doing some awesome and unique things with these characters.

Trying to get a sense of how this game works. Is they any penalty to dying besides being down one more KO?

Ah, I see the score is a K/D ratio. I thought it was just whoever had the most kills wins. Interesting.

Anyone feel like the characters could stand to be a bit bigger on the screen?

It feels like they are giving up way too much screen real estate to what is happening in the background IMO

Not enough shoulder in those shots. And thanks for finally going full at the 4:00 mark. Why wouldn't I want to watch gameplay on the full screen when I can see two guys talking about it?

I mean, we're talking about some very basic production decisions which are keeping GTTV in the dark ages. It's mind-boggling.
is that guy actually wearing a jacket with no shirt underneath?

onQ123

is it me or does this game need some more color?

Edit: never mind I guess it was just the stage that they was fighting on LBP stage has color.

Endo Punk

I think characters need to be the size of Big Daddy as a minimum. He really stands out on screen and looks good. Drake looks almost invisible on screen

But I guess its also that the camera is dynamic and zooms away from the action
lol yeah I had a hard time finding where the hell Nate was in most gameplay videos. And Superbot still hasn't addressed the long ass title name

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I actually thought the players were an acceptable size. I never felt they were too small.

Outside of getting kind of lost in the chaos in my first two matches, I got accustomed to it by the end. I played 3, 3 minute rounds, so 9 minutes total, but that wasn't nearly enough, and honestly, I could have played it exclusively, but I didn't want to hog it. I was fortunate in that I was able to play the 3 rounds, because most of the people playing were at the other section, which had seats, and people playing with Drake and Big Daddy.

The PS Vita/PS3 cross play section wasn't nearly as crowded, and I was able to get in and play easier, and didn't have too many people behind me, "forcing" me to move aside.

I fricking loved this game so much. I'm still geeking out about it, and I was bummed that I had to go to work today, and couldn't go back to E3 today (or tomorrow).

But hey, my one day at E3 was a blast, and this game was one of the highlights for me. I can't praise it enough as a big time Smash Bros fan.

I sometimes feel like I'm alone in the camp of people that actually WANTED Sony to produce an almost blatant Smash Bros game.

But that's kind of a discredit to the developers at Superbot, as PBR is still it's own game, while occupying the same genre as Smash Bros. It's a lot harder to describe, and videos definitely give the impression that it's a 1:1 copy of Smash Bros, but it actually does have it's own identity, and if you are a PlayStation fan, the characters and homages will have you geeking out, just like I did with Smash Bros Melee.

I think the knee jerk eye rolling and scoffing when this game (which PlayStation fans have been asking for) was revealed were really unfounded.

It's one thing to make a game like Smash, and then the execution is poor. Then it makes sense to mock it endlessly. In the case of PBR, the execution is FUN. See that three letter word in the last sentence that started with an "F?" That's the real important thing to take from this post: PBR is FUN. I really wanted to just stay at the Sony booth and play it the rest of my time at E3, but alas, I was with a co-worker, and didn't want to force him to spend his showtime playing PBR with me.

I'm so looking forward to the next set of character reveals. Part of the fun for me is seeing what their skills are, and how well Superbot brought them to this style of game.

EDIT: The name has grown on me, and the more I think about it, the harder it becomes to try and come up with a suitable replacement. "PlayStation Battle Opera" is actually pretty good, but a game like this, it needs a title that really informs you of what it is.

"Super Smash Bros." is simple, and yet tells you what to expect from the game. In truth, when I first heard of Melee, I had ignored it without looking into it because I just assumed it was a Mario Bros fighting game. I didn't realize that it featured more than just Mario characters, and, honestly, the roster is made up of largely characters from the Mario world (certainly nothing wrong with that, as SMB has some great characters).

With PBR, you need a title that tells you what the game is about. It's about PlayStation. So, PlayStation HAS to be in the title. It features a vast array of PlayStation characters. How do you convey that in the title? Smash Bros is more than just Mario characters, but you really wouldn't know that based on the title. Fortunately, box art helps with this, despite Mario featuring prominently (and wisely), on the cover.

"All Stars" rings true to what/who is inside this "PlayStation" game. So, "PlayStation All Stars" isn't really that bad. But "PlayStation All Stars" isn't really indicative of what the game is. "Battle Royale" certainly isn't the greatest finisher to the title, but it's far from the worst, and I'm having a hard time coming up with one that would make the title shorter. I guess "PlayStation All Star Battle" is ok, but the "Royale" kind of gives it an air of grandeur.

As I said, the title has grown on me, but I'll still be referring to it as "PBR." I think PlayStation Battle Royale is a good shorthand for it, but I'm not sure it would work as the game's title. Fortunately for Sony, slapping Kratos, Drake, Big Daddy, Ratchet, Solid Snake, and Cloud on the cover (come on, you know Snake and Cloud are in this bitch), will certainly get consumer's attention, just like consumers seeing Mario, Samus, and Link on the cover of an SSB box will grab their attention.

*Sorry for the long post*

Endo Punk

PBR will not be able to shake off the Smash Clone criticism until it's well received in review scores. I trust Superbot will deliver because I can really see their passion come through.

Waiting for character announcements is always so excited. So 8 character so far and potentially 16 to reveal. Are there even enough coming events where Superbot can reveal two characters at a time allowing for all to be shown before release? Thouh I guess having some as secret right up until release day would be good. I really don't want DLC support here as I feel it makes a character 'less special' if you know what I mean.

Anyway next event is Comicon I believe, best time to show a character like Cole McGrath since the games are very comic based. And I suppose my favourite PS female character Jennifer Tate will be shown at Gamescom since it's a Euro IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom