• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Now that I thought about it Zeus (and other gods) would be better as (a) stage hazard(s). A really ridiculously annoying stage hazard, though

GOW X Infamous

The beast attacks Olympus and the gods try to fight him off. Players have to avoid having their ap drained by the Beast, a huge torrent of water which covers the bottom of the screen after Poseidon appears and other gods attacks

Drencrom

As a Gow Fan: This literally makes me sick.

Who the hell cares about Zeus of all people?? And Isacc?? Really?? I mean if they're free no complaints from me but bleh..

Who's next?? Hulk Hogan?

Dead Space is a big third party game and Isaac could be a pretty gnarly fighter, so it makes sense why they're adding him.

Zeus is just meh. If they don't have access to more series they could have added Elena or Sully from Uncharted, people actually care about those secondary characters. Elena and Sully would probably better off as alt costumes to Drake (do it Superbot), but my point is that no one cares about Zeus because he is barely a character and he's from a series that is represented the most in PABR.

cyborg009

Banned
If we get another God of War character I'm going to skin Omar alive.

But yay, more costumes!

EDIT: Just send out a mass PM to the top 10 posters/people who still post here so you can save everyone some heartbreak and letdown :(

?

I didn't get :[

People are going to eat Omar face because of this Zeus thing...

TheMink

It's funny how much the PSASBR official forums hate Mink =D

GameFAQs, too. :(

Hahahaha, i never even go to those sites unless its linked from gaf :p

EDIT:

I think its because its always bad news though, Kat is probably the only good news ive leaked.
First bad news was:

No Crash or Spyro or Cloud or Snake
Then
20 characters total
Then
Ryu i think generally was viewed as a negative
Now
Zeus and Isaac

And me taking back Lightning didnt help, although i dont know that would drive someone to hatred :p

Ryce

Mink, do you know if Zeus and Isaac are going to be released together, or are they just lumped in with Hayabusa as a "pool" of DLC characters?

KalBalboa

Banned
Mink, do you know if Zeus and Isaac are going to be released together, or are they just lumped in with Hayabusa as a "pool" of DLC characters?

There needs to be an even amount of characters in order for the rivals system to work, so it's more likely they're a pair.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't understand why they seem to be ignoring Abe..he's ready to be handed to them afaik.. Even Stranger would be awesome - probably less well known but easier move list and pretty fun (spinner, shooting creatures at you..). It might be the movelist for Abe and I guess Stranger may still be a bit too xbox/unknown. Damn, not liking the sound of zeus...and by isaac you guys aren't referring to the binding of isaac are you? - Ah good Dead Space.

Ryce

There needs to be an even amount of characters in order for the rivals system to work, so it's more likely they're a pair.
I know that, but Zeus could be paired with Hayabusa while Isaac is paired with an unannounced character. I want to know if Zeus and Isaac are explicitly rivals.

KalBalboa

Banned
I know that, but Zeus could be paired with Hayabusa while Isaac is paired with an unannounced character. I want to know if Zeus and Isaac are explicitly rivals.

This would be the best-case scenario. Isaac & Zeus being rivals would be strange.

So, they are pretty much going through their Santa Monica Studio inventory.

How hard is it to implement Abe? Aren't the developers practically offering them?

Pachimari

I don't understand why they seem to be ignoring Abe..he's ready to be handed to them afaik.. Even Stranger would be awesome - probably less well known but easier move list and pretty fun (spinner, shooting creatures at you..). It might be the movelist for Abe and I guess Stranger may still be a bit too xbox/unknown. Damn, not liking the sound of zeus...and by isaac you guys aren't referring to the binding of isaac are you? - Ah good Dead Space.
No, Isaac Clarke from Dead Space.

Camjo-Z

I think its because its always bad news though, Kat is probably the only good news ive leaked.
First bad news was:

No Crash or Spyro or Cloud or Snake
Then
20 characters total
Then
Ryu i think generally was viewed as a negative
Now
Zeus and Isaac

Isn't it possible that your source was a game tester in the Title Fight days like Paul Gale's? It would explain why he was right about the original 20 character selection and nothing else since except Kat who, considering she was clearly the most requested first-party character, was not really that hard to guess.

SSReborn

What a random set of characters to choose. I mean I did want to eventually see a couple more villains but I wasn't really heavy on seeing Zeus for DLC for a sequel he would have been fine. I would have hoped they would have explored more franchises before they started double dipping for characters.

Isaac is cool I guess but no strong attachment to seeing him would have much rather seen Ryu Hyabuza if I had to choose between the two.

Ryce

Just lumped in the pool, sorry not very helpful haha
In that case, here's what I'm half expecting to see:

Hack-and-slash hero and villain - Ryu Hayabusa vs. Zeus
Survival horror protagonists - Joel & Ellie vs. Isaac Clarke

For Joel, I imagine the square button would be melee attacks/close range weapons, triangle would be firearms/ranged weapons, and circle would control Ellie's attacks. Ellie follows behind Joel like the Ice Climbers in Super Smash Bros. The Last of Us is poised as a major release, and judging by Kat and Emmett, SuperBot likes using DLC as an opportunity to introduce characters from games too recent to have made the on-disc roster.

Drencrom

I hope the new costumes include Tretton Tooth, Heihachi Hirai and Fat Yoshida.

Yes please

amn36.gif

Just lumped in the pool, sorry not very helpful haha

Ok, hopefully they'll ditch Zeus or something

TheMink

Isn't it possible that your source was a game tester in the Title Fight days like Paul Gale's? It would explain why he was right about the original 20 character selection and nothing else since except Kat who, considering she was clearly the most requested first-party character, was not really that hard to guess.

No

sn00zer

Just Platinum'd I think im done for a while...pretty good game...loved the fan service more than the actual gam though...ive said it once ill say it again...they fucking NAILED these characters, personality, animation, and movesets

You say that like getting 20 characters was a small thing. I think people underestimate the accuracy of minks claims. He gave us the last 2 dlc characters and contradicted Paul Gale to be right about 90% of his stuff. Frankly I have no reason to doubt him.

You better be right this time. I really want to play as Zeus. :(

Me too! I can't say I understand the hate... All this talk about Abe I don't get either. That game creeped the poo out of me when I was a kid haha

You say that like getting 20 characters was a small thing. I think people underestimate the accuracy of minks claims. He gave us the last 2 dlc characters and contradicted Paul Gale to be right about 90% of his stuff. Frankly I have no reason to doubt him.

He said Ryu instead of Emmett so he ain't THE prophet quite yet ;).

Camjo-Z

Well, he actually only gave us one DLC character so far, and I don't think anyone thought Kat wouldn't get in as DLC. But I could very easily be wrong, so if March rolls around and we see two more of his character predictions come true then I will gladly bow to the prophet king of kings!

also OH SNAP RUMBA

TheMink

^ its true, Kats not exactally difficult to predict. And ryu showed up in that Website fiasco, but i was simply confirming the existance further. Solidifying it if you will.
But i did say that 20 was total, and that we'ed have dlc BEFORE tgs. Which was heavily shrouded in rumor of more characters because of Mr.Gale, at the time the evidence was againts me. Me and Gale condradicted eachother all the way up to the point i was proven right.

Also, i was told that Lightning WASNT in and thus had to redact my statement.
But not Ryu yet, and its been quite some time since i was told that he was coming.

If i get info later that Ryu was scrapped ill redact myself again.

He said Ryu instead of Emmett so he ain't THE prophet quite yet ;).

Technically i said kat, ryu, and a "third character" that i wasnt told, other than its existance.
Also the sackgirl costume. Not that it wouldnt be easy to predict.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
^ its true, Kats not exactally difficult to predict. And ryu showed up in that Website fiasco, but i was simply confirming the existance further. Solidifying it if you will.
But i did say that 20 was total, and that we'ed have dlc BEFORE tgs. Which was heavily shrouded in rumor of more characters because of Mr.Gale, at the time the evidence was againts me. Me and Gale condradicted eachother all the way up to the point i was proven right.

Also, i was told that Lightning WASNT in and thus had to redact my statement.
But not Ryu yet, and its been quite some time since i was told that he was coming.

If i get info later that Ryu was scrapped ill redact myself again.

Technically i said kat, ryu, and a "third character" that i wasnt told, other than its existance.
Also the sackgirl costume. Not that it wouldnt be easy to predict.

Maybe you just got lucky with guesses. ;P

J-Tier

Seems like Spike, Heihachi, and Dante may be eyed at being buffed.

As for Sir Dan, they don't think he's crappy, he just takes more time to learn.

EDIT: Also, Omar basically states that as long as the game's support is strong, the game will keep getting new DLC characters.

SmithnCo

Seems like Spike, Heihachi, and Dante may be eyed at being buffed.

EDIT: Also, Omar basically states that as long as the game's support is strong, the game will keep getting new DLC characters.

Nice to hear for Spike. I like him but I think he just gets outclassed by some of the spammier characters.

J-Tier

Also talked about a "Ranked Tournament Mode", but they don't want to have too many options for ranked as it might splinter the playerbase.

Players would be too spread thin and finding matches in one mode might be more difficult.

Aceun

should i still get this game?
;)

RUMBA! I've missed you!!! Haha

EDIT: Great Interview! Interesting stuff on the reactions from the FGCs and PSASBR fans. I think Omar's right on the challenge of getting the community to organize. It's still relatively early, but would be cool to get to that point. I'm personally for that.

plainr_

Just finished listening to the podcast. Great interview with Omar.

It seems the next patch is scheduled to be out when the season is over.

Camjo-Z

There's a reason there are roughly two Sir Dan players other than me in the top 200 on both FFA and 2v2 leaderboards combined, and it's not because he's hard to learn. Maybe if his Level 2 and 3 weren't painfully easy to dodge on large stages and his Level 1 wasn't completely opportunistic and had any setups that can't be escaped by holding down Omar would have a point, but as Sir Dan stands now he is certainly higher up on the buff list than Spike or Dante.

At any rate, it's nice to hear that the patch is coming sooner rather than later.

Moosichu

I'm loving all-stars atm but the sequel definitely needs more fan-service. Maybe if for the next game, Cole/Evil-Cole occupied the same slot and changing the costume you choose gave the respective move-sets of each. Then in story-mode, depending one which you chose you would get a slightly different cut-scene. Also, the only character that should be allowed to break the one-character one-franchise rule is Solid Snake.

Edit: Character reveal trailers for the second game should use each characters' theme. Also, why the hell do some of the stages use made-up music. What happened to Yellow's theme in the Locoroco level? Where is the iconic pata-pata-pata-pon... pon-pon-pata-pon.

My PSN name is the same as my Neogaf account if anyone wants to play as well :D .

Ryce

Maybe if for the next game, Cole/Evil-Cole occupied the same slot and changing the costume you choose gave the respective move-sets of each. Then in story-mode, depending one which you chose you would get a slightly different cut-scene.
So the same way it's handled in this game but with an arbitrary select method? Hiding Evil Cole on the select screen doesn't magically make him take up less development time.

Completely unrelated, but regarding DLC, I found something in this old interview interesting:
NowGamer: Kat and Emmett have been confirmed for DLC, who else is on the way? Any hints? No names. Just hints.

Seth Killian: Well… I can’t say we’re going to address everyone’s concerns or desires. There are obviously a lot of requests for characters we don’t own but some of the people who have been vocal on forums asking for specific characters, they’re going to get their way. If things work out.
Seth's quote implies that some heavily requested fan favorites are in the works as DLC, which I wouldn't really categorize Zeus, Isaac Clarke, or Ryu Hayabusa as.

TheMink

So the same way it's handled in this game but with an arbitrary select method? Hiding Evil Cole on the select screen doesn't magically make him take up less development time.

Completely unrelated, but regarding DLC, I found something in this old interview interesting:

Seth's quote implies that some heavily requested fan favorites are in the works as DLC, which I wouldn't really categorize Zeus, Isaac Clarke, or Ryu Hayabusa as.

Heres to hoping *raises glass*

Edit:

Just thinking, maybe there is far more dlc characters coming than we think.
And the ones above are just a few of a much larger bowl of characters.

0132_hmhs.gif

Aaaaah

But hey, its not impossible.

I'm genuinely perplexed at who SuperBot are choosing for the next batch of DLC. For every candidate I think of, I quickly come up with a reason why they won't be included. I mean, right now Wander seems like the most obvious inclusion, but if Team ICO are really that against the idea of him appearing in a brawler then I guess it's not happening.

Never rule out the power of persuasion though.

Top Bottom