• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

TheMink

What is Dante's empty cancel all about? And how do you do it?

That is the thing tho. Nobody does it. I dunno how hard it is. Dante also has maybe a little too much vulnerability after starting his combos.

Quite so. It is just as I commented that he is hard for me to say anything on. People play him as they did pre nerf and it doesn't work anymore unless you get a lot of hits.

Apparently his lvl 1 properties are randomized depending on the costume so it can screw up hitconfirms so that is a big blow on him also.

Ill show guys when im back in an interweb zone.

I can do it pretty clutch.

And yeah, its probably the hardest thing to do in the game if you are new to fighters.

The 2 top teams from SCR were using heavenly sword girl (sorry don't know her name) & Kratos and the other team was Sackboy and heavenly sword girl.

Team with Sackboy won from losers bracket

sn00zer

Just got into this game a bit after watching the grand finals at SCR.

Does anyone have a tier list (what they think)? I don't really have a character yet.

Ratchet and Drake are my go tos...easy combos and fun lvl1s...dan is also a good place to start with really simple combos, but his lvl 1 takes some real skill

OmegaZero

What is Dante's empty cancel all about? And how do you do it?

Dante's "Empty" Bold Cancel takes advantage of his ability to cancel his square moves into his triangle moves into circle moves, combined with the ability of his Angel Dash (side circle) to cancel into a square or circle move. It allows him to effectively instantly recover from moves with otherwise long cooldown - namely his square moves. The catch is that it only works if the move connects: you can't cancel a square move on whiff or block (as far as I know).

There are several methods of performing the Empty Cancel, but they all involve canceling Dante's up triangle attack into his Angel Dash just above the ground. Some examples are:

Up triangle -> back circle -> square
Up triangle -> back circle -> circle

Up-back triangle -> forward circle -> square
Up-back triangle -> forward circle -> circle

If done correctly, Dante will perform the moves in rapid succession just above the ground, landing in a neutral position.

Here's a great Empty Cancel tutorial.

TheMink

Dante's "Empty" Bold Cancel takes advantage of his ability to cancel his square moves into his triangle moves into circle moves, combined with the ability of his Angel Dash (side circle) to cancel into a square or circle move. It allows him to effectively instantly recover from moves with otherwise long cooldown - namely his square moves. The catch is that it only works if the move connects: you can't cancel a square move on whiff or block (as far as I know).

There are several methods of performing the Empty Cancel, but they all involve canceling Dante's up triangle attack into his Angel Dash just above the ground. Some examples are:

Up triangle -> back circle -> square
Up triangle -> back circle -> circle

Up-back triangle -> forward circle -> square
Up-back triangle -> forward circle -> circle

If done correctly, Dante will perform the moves in rapid succession just above the ground, landing in a neutral position.

Here's a great Empty Cancel tutorial.

The trick to the up triangle is to do it the opposite direction your facing.

If you are facing right:

Up diagonal left triagle is the input you want to hit. Otherwise you have to do the empty cancel twice to get back to the right direction you want to face.

Which is explained in the vid

Ratchet and Drake are my go tos...easy combos and fun lvl1s...dan is also a good place to start with really simple combos, but his lvl 1 takes some real skill

A buddy of mine recommended Drake because I play Guile in Street Fighter (basic keep away)

After I did his combo tutorial, I didn't like that one of his easier combos, slide to pistol, only seemed to connect when slide was executed from max range. He would slide under the opponent and if I compensated with the gun input, he'd still miss.

Kind of a turn off for the character.

Quick question though, how "good" are those combo tutorials for learning basic BnBs for a specific character. I understand they just give you a feel of the character, but how good are they? Should I just be looking at youtube for optimized ones?

A buddy of mine recommended Drake because I play Guile in Street Fighter (basic keep away)

After I did his combo tutorial, I didn't like that one of his easier combos, slide to pistol, only seemed to connect when slide was executed from max range. He would slide under the opponent and if I compensated with the gun input, he'd still miss.

Kind of a turn off for the character.

Quick question though, how "good" are those combo tutorials for learning basic BnBs for a specific character. I understand they just give you a feel of the character, but how good are they? Should I just be looking at youtube for optimized ones?

Combo tutorials are pretty terrible TBH.

If you wanna have some games in 2vs2 hit me in PSN. Napalmfrank is the nick. Same for everyone :3.

OmegaZero

The trick to the up triangle is to do it the opposite direction your facing.

If you are facing right:

Up diagonal left triagle is the input you want to hit. Otherwise you have to do the empty cancel twice to get back to the right direction you want to face.

Oh, I'm aware of that.
I was just trying to explain the general inputs for the cancel itself. Some people actually prefer starting it with up triangle and turning around after the cancel (at least if internet comments are to be believed).

Doing it in the opposite direction has its uses though, like allowing you to rapidly retreat or set up a down circle -> level 1.

EDIT:

Yeah, youtube is a better resource for combos, but the combo tutorials can help you learn the properties of certain moves.

TheMink

Oh, I'm aware of that.
I was just trying to explain the general inputs for the cancel itself. Some people actually prefer starting it with up triangle and turning around after the cancel (at least if internet comments are to be believed).

Doing it in the opposite direction has its uses though, like allowing you to rapidly retreat or set up a down circle -> level 1.

EDIT:

Yeah, youtube is a better resource for combos, but the combo tutorials can help you learn the properties of certain moves.

I was telling him, not you :p

Camjo-Z

They give you a basic example of the kinds of combos you should be doing, but they leave the best ones for you to discover for yourself (or more likely, look up on Youtube.)

For example, the best PaRappa combo shown in the tutorial is this:

Up square (hold) > circle > square x2

But in a real match, the combo you should be pulling off is this:

Side circle > circle > square > down square > up square (hold) > circle > square x2

So they're really just starters for you to figure things out.

They give you a basic example of the kinds of combos you should be doing, but they leave the best ones for you to discover for yourself (or more likely, look up on Youtube.)

For example, the best PaRappa combo shown in the tutorial is this:

Up square (hold) > circle > square x2

But in a real match, the combo you should be pulling off is this:

Side circle > circle > square > down square > up square (hold) > circle > square x2

So they're really just starters for you to figure things out.

You hit the treshold without using neutral square in the ground.

Thanks for the comments. I figured it was that way with the combos based on my experiences with other fighting games.

I haven't gravitated to online yet as I have yet to pick an actual character at this point. I generally like to get basis bread n butter combos down and punishes and learn most of the matchups, safe and unsafe things, etc with online play.

I'm sure I'll take you up on your offer Napalm_Frank, but I just don't feel ready yet at this point.

Pachimari

Came to think of this playing it. Why not add a Hot Shots Golf character? It cued be the "main" dude or girl from the franchise and it could fit in with the rest of the cast. You give the character some unique attacks with her equipment and use the powers as her supers.

Camjo-Z

Also discovered another change, from what I can tell Sir Dan's green hand and Level 2 glitches no longer work. Heihachi's 3x AP glitch is still present though.

Came to think of this playing it. Why not add a Hot Shots Golf character? It cued be the "main" dude or girl from the franchise and it could fit in with the rest of the cast. You give the character some unique attacks with her equipment and use the powers as her supers.

IIRC Superbot said they asked the Hot Shots guys if they could use their IP and they said it was best suited for a stage rather than a character, hence the mashup with Sandover.

Spinluck

Black Rock sucks too. I also think the beginning of Aldens Tower is like in the middle. Not too bad, but not too good either.

I feel like I can make better stages on Brawls stage creator.

No offense to Superbot, there are some awesome stages.

Aceun

...my god.

I mean, it's still difficult to set up without getting hit by like, half the cast, but it exists and that's what matters. Love seeing people explore all the characters.

Black Rock sucks too. I also think the beginning of Aldens Tower is like in the middle. Not too bad, but not too good either.

I feel like I can make better stages on Brawls stage creator.

No offense to Superbot, there are some awesome stages.

I thought I would hate BlackRock stadium, but I really have grown to like it. It's a very Jak friendly stage. Dreamscape has also grown on me, but it is not a super-friendly stage at all.

The stage that I truly despise is Time Station. With hazards on, it is downright frustrating at times. The platforms are so inconveniently placed and it becomes a test of patience moreso than platforming.

I only really dislike Franzea on the Vita, because I can't see a darn thing.

SmithnCo

Time Station with hazards is probably the most annoying, yeah. I don't like the BlackRock hazards too much either.

The Uncharted stage is my favorite.

TheMink

I wish there were more small stages like Dojo.

Ya, i also wish the camera would follow you up higher lol, not that i need to see my character in order to complete a combo, but com'on :p

icEXcTyuH89xa.jpg

Just warming up son!

Takin advantage of teh noobz :p

cyborg009

Banned
patch details
Raiden
Reaction on forward throw changed from crumple to flatten
Drake
Increased start up on Cover Wall
Ability to chain Blind Fire to Run and Gun Retreat removed
Kratos
Combat Grapple recovery time on block and whiff increased
Combat Grapple homing angle decreased (The targeting angle has been reduced from 70° to 45° which has reduced the effective area from 140° down to 90° total.)
General
Network stability improved
2v2 match summary disconnect fixed
AP orbs not always awarded online fixed
Store button added to Main Menu
Fix to ensure all players will be awarded proper titles at the end of a season
Fixed belt display on Quick Match loading screen

Camjo-Z

It seems they added some PSAS Dynamic Themes to the PS Store. I bought the PaRappa one for $1.99 because PaRappa is awesome, it's essentially the same thing as his menu in-game and it plays sounds from the game (menu sounds + level up). Pretty cool though!

It seems they added some PSAS Dynamic Themes to the PS Store. I bought the PaRappa one for $1.99 because PaRappa is awesome, it's essentially the same thing as his menu in-game and it plays sounds from the game (menu sounds + level up). Pretty cool though!

Might bite for the Spike one haha

OmegaZero

I can't get most Good Cole's combos at all.
I like playing as him, I can do relatively well with him, but I just can't combo with him.

At least when it comes to combos involving his down circle.

Also, I've discovered a cosmetic glitch where Kratos's DLC costume (Deimos or whatever) causes him to lose his Level 3 aura in Practice mode after he uses it (uses Vita version).
No idea if it happened pre-patch:

Finally, Heihachi Stock FFA dominance:

TheMink

^yeesh

I can't get most Good Cole's combos at all.
I like playing as him, I can do relatively well with him, but I just can't combo with him.

At least when it comes to combos involving his down circle.

Also, I've discovered a cosmetic glitch where Kratos's DLC costume (Deimos or whatever) causes him to lose his Level 3 aura in Practice mode after he uses it (uses Vita version).
No idea if it happened pre-patch:

Finally, Heihachi Stock FFA dominance:

Yeah, i havent dabbled to much in good cole, but i prefer evil for comboing.

OmegaZero

I'm starting to lean towards Heihachi myself. Is it possible to do up grab -> dash punch -> dash punch -> double upcut?

Not in my experience.
Even if you do two Electric Wind God Fists when Kratos gets as low to the ground as you can, the final hit of the double uppercut will whiff. Unless I'm off by a frame or two.

EDIT: Ah sorry. I use Kraots to refer to medium sized characters.

Not in my experience.
Even if you do two Electric Wind God Fists when Kratos gets as low to the ground as you can, the final hit of the double uppercut will whiff. Unless I'm off by a frame or two.

Wait, so you're talking about after the grab in your example? If so, I've also noticed the second hit of the double uppercut whiff. Leads me to believe I should doing a different combo after the double EGFs. Maybe double spin kick to triangle?

OmegaZero

Wait, so you're talking about after the grab in your example? If so, I've also noticed the second hit of the double uppercut whiff. Leads me to believe I should doing a different combo after the double EGFs. Maybe double spin kick to triangle?

That works, but I believe ending it with down triangle will give you 10 more AP. Plus they'll get grounded, so you might be able to bait out a roll and get a nice combo/kill out of it.

Top Bottom