• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Nakiro

TimeEffect, I don't know how much fun it would be to just sit and watch the match if you're that one person that's benched.

Camjo-Z

It sounds good on paper, but I think in practice character selections would be far too unbalanced to work properly. For example, imagine if someone used a Heihachi/PaRappa team - all they'd have to do to win is kill off one of the opponents, then have Heihachi charge up and get massive AP from PaRappa's boomboxes while PaRappa merely holds off the opponent.

And a Sackboy/Sir Dan team would be crazy overpowered as well, there'd be almost no way to escape Sir Dan's level 1 without a partner. All Dan has to do is use his square > square > up square combo to fling the opponent in the air - if the opponent doesn't dodge, Dan fires an arrow and kills him. If the opponent holds down and dodges, then Sackboy immediately uses an up grab, which also sets him up for Dan's Level 1.

So in other words, you got your ass well and truly handed to you then. Don't worry, it's happened to the best of us.

I suck when I play on Vita man :lol. I still do not think Vita D-pad is as good as many say it is. I think PSP and D-shock both are better. I ain't THAT good with PS3 either :lol.

TheMink

I suck when I play on Vita man :lol. I still do not think Vita D-pad is as good as many say it is. I think PSP and D-shock both are better. I ain't THAT good with PS3 either :lol.

Invalidates argument :p
God i hate that psp d pad. If you played street fighter alpha 3 psp ver you would feel me on that lol XD

But seriously, the vita D-Pad is extremely good.
For All-Stars i would see how you might think its just ok because its not like the inputs are particularly difficult, but if you were a die hard fighter fan you'd see its value methinks. Because the key part of the vitas superiority is its diagonal accuracy. Up down left and right are no problem on any pad lol.
Playing as dante is the only time i take full advantage of the vita D-pad because hes the only character with a true fighter like input technique with the empty cancel.

Drencrom

Man, that sucks so bad.

I really hope that the people that got laid off land on their feet

Clock, do you still have your position? :(

plainr_

Damn that royally sucks. I hope SuperBot is around long enough for at least two or three more games. A sequel and some new IP's. In fact they should stay around forever. I love PSASBR!

ace3skoot

okay this game is only £17.99 on psn at the moment (playstation plus) i'm right on the cuff of jumping in what i need to know is if buy this game on psn, is the online pass included in the download or would i have to buy it seperately?

Pachimari

That sucks but it would be weird to have an All-Stars game and not build it into a franchise through the generations like Smash Bros. of course it needs to sell as well but didn't it do well digitally?

plainr_

That sucks but it would be weird to have an All-Stars game and not build it into a franchise through the generations like Smash Bros. of course it needs to sell as well but didn't it do well digitally?

I'm really confident that a sequel would do much better. With all the DLC characters promoted along side the current roster, it's going to attract a lot more people this time around. Let's say by then, we have at least one popular FF character, more PS1 legacy characters, and hopefully Crash f'ing Bandicoot!

Aceun

I like how people think that layoffs is a sign if the game not doing well. We don't know how the game is doing.

It is very unfortunate for those who were laid off, my thoughts and prayers go out to them.

However, it is a bit premature to think this is a reflection on the game. Unfortunately sometimes we forget that gaming is also a business. And sometimes people don't fit in the bigger picture. I hate to say it, but It's true.

Also I hate playing on the Vita. But that d pad is infinitely better than the PSP d pad.

Camjo-Z

Nothing brings out the best in NeoGAF quite like PlayStation All-Stars!

I think I'm just going to avoid that topic completely from here on out, it seems like every PSAS thread on GAF other than this one is just full of constant negativity.

EDIT: argh i couldn't resist and read more... people are actually trying to say that missing one super will cost you the entire match and that's why supers-only sucks... sigh

Ryce

I think I'm just going to avoid that topic completely from here on out, it seems like every PSAS thread on GAF other than this one is just full of constant negativity.
It really bothers me, too, because All-Stars is a fun, competent game beyond superficial things like the UI. GAF likes to pretend it's above other gaming forums, but I think this place shows its true (hypocritical) colors in threads like the SuperBot layoff topic.

SmithnCo

EDIT: argh i couldn't resist and read more... people are actually trying to say that missing one super will cost you the entire match and that's why supers-only sucks... sigh

Remember, in hypothetical matches, dodging is a total non-factor and supers can't be set up or stored.

TheMink

Remember, in hypothetical matches, dodging is a total non-factor and supers can't be set up or stored.

To those people i just

0424_qcou4.gif

God forbid they actually play the game they are so hell bent on criticizing.

Dibbz

Just bought PSABR today and I'm having a blast. Although would anyone be able to recommend some good youtube channels or players that have some good videos that I can watch? I'd like to see how the pro's do things :)

Siaynoqq

Thread is full of assumptions, pure hatred (hahaha), and overall ignorance.

Yes.

Problem seems to come from the general lack of background most people have with serious fighters. People think they can make sweeping judgments about the game based on minimal experience with it. Most obnoxious is when I see stuff like "I just picked this game up today, and X is clearly overpowered."

Haven't had a game take me away from SSF4:AE like this has. Been hooked since release. I think it presents solid fundamentals to what can be a novel approach to serious fighters.

Camjo-Z

Just bought PSABR today and I'm having a blast. Although would anyone be able to recommend some good youtube channels or players that have some good videos that I can watch? I'd like to see how the pro's do things :)

I haven't seen any amazing matches on Youtube recently but personaworld's videos are pretty helpful to learn combos, even Superbot's featured a few of them on their tumblr. Some of the combos he shows are impractical in a real match, but most of them are useful.

J-Tier

I really REALLY don't understand why that layoff thing was newsworthy. There were bigger layoffs in other studios and those went unreported and ignored. Why Superbot? They have a team of around 100 folks, and losing 1/5th of the team isn't going to stop DLC and patch production--they don't even NEED all of those employees. Laying them off cuts unnecessary costs. I feel bad for the folks who got laid off though, and I hope they manage to find their career elsewhere.

Captain N

I have the game already, but won't start playing until Sunday when I get done work. Getting the White Supwr Slim. My favorite part of fighting game is playing as every single character and seeing which one I like the most. Can't wait.

TheMink

I really REALLY don't understand why that layoff thing was newsworthy. There were bigger layoffs in other studios and those went unreported and ignored. Why Superbot? They have a team of around 100 folks, and losing 1/5th of the team isn't going to stop DLC and patch production--they don't even NEED all of those employees. Laying them off cuts unnecessary costs. I feel bad for the folks who got laid off though, and I hope they manage to find their career elsewhere.

Cause wario?

Omg, I need more competitive/pro 2v2 matches to watch.

The SCR stuff was sooooo good, I really enjoyed it so much. Is there anywhere else I can find more videos?

I would so love to see some Stock

What happened to the possibility of adding a timer to Stock/1v1? Didn't they consider doing that, as well as adding 1v1 officially to matchmaking?

Ryce

As a lifelong Smash Bros. "fanboy," I'm addicted to All-Stars. I love it. The wait for the DLC is starting to get a little annoying, though, and I don't want to have to wait until March in order to find out which characters are in the second pack. :(

Omg, I need more competitive/pro 2v2 matches to watch.

The SCR stuff was sooooo good, I really enjoyed it so much. Is there anywhere else I can find more videos?

I would so love to see some Stock

What happened to the possibility of adding a timer to Stock/1v1? Didn't they consider doing that, as well as adding 1v1 officially to matchmaking?

Google for Wednesday Night Fights archived streams:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...s-battle-royale-ttt2-and-ssf4-ae-v2012-level/
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...le-tekken-tag-tournament-2-and-ssf4-ae-v2012/
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...le-royale-umvc3-ttt2-and-ssf4-ae-v2012-level/
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...le-royale-umvc3-ttt2-and-ssf4-ae-v2012-level/
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...s-battle-royale-ttt2-and-ssf4-ae-v2012-level/

Danny and Kendric the Kratos/Nariko team from SCR go there all the time.

And I figure if they change anything to matchmaking it would be with the new season.

TheMink

As a lifelong Smash Bros. "fanboy," I'm addicted to All-Stars. I love it. The wait for the DLC is starting to get a little annoying, though, and I don't want to have to wait until March in order to find out which characters are in the second pack. :(

Guys like us have true freeness of speach on the subject.
Im a huge nintendo fan, especially smash bros. Damn thats some good times. Yet i love this game too.
I understand disliking things, yet this active hatred campaign just doesnt make any sense to me. I just dont know why people want to vocally hate on something like this. Yeah PSAS its like smash, every fighter since Street Fighter 1 rips off their inputs. Why doesnt anybody give a shit about that?
The hypocrisy knows no bounds.

When we get closer to E3 im going to be all up in that SSB thread.

Thank u so much ^_^ I have too much trouble following the FGC, they always look so damn exciting but PSBR is the only game I understand and can invest watching in

Guys, you might want to tone it down with the complaining, or else someone in the other thread will reveal the uncritical circlejerking and crying on each other's shoulders about fair criticism in this thread.

J/k, but someone actually did this in one of the old PSASBR news threads.

But in all seriousness, the drive by mentality and uninformed opinions are starting to annoy me, and not just in regard to this game either, but on GAF in general. I also liked how several users would come into one of the official threads shortly before release and accuse the regulars of being uncritical and blindly praising the game, conveniently ignoring the fact that we have already chewed to death every possible thing there was to criticise in the months leading up to release, but have moved on to just wanting to play the game already by that time.

Narolf

Banned
Still digging the game's intro in this day and age. The music really fits with the overall mood of the game and matches with what is going on in the cinematic, and so do the lyrics. It's pretty apparent they drew inspiration from Dissidia here. The structure of PSBAR's opening is the same as Dissidia's: rivals are battling with one another until a third party steps in just to fight with his rival in turn, all those rivalries merge into a giant melee at the end with the camera lifting to the sky and that's when the game's logo appears. Nariko and Dante clashing swords has a strong Advent Children feel, I automatically thought of Squall and Sephiroth in Dissidia's opening when I saw that. Too bad the rivalry cut-scenes are as cringe-worthy as the attempt at pulling a story out of this. That's a point Dissidia definitely beats its concurrents at.

Yeah PSAS its like smash, every fighter since Street Fighter 1 rips off their inputs. Why doesnt anybody give a shit about that?
The hypocrisy knows no bounds.

People have been comparing this game to Smash Bros ever since day one, but I think it's also similar to Dissidia on several aspects. PSABR's meta isn't much different than DFF's (not to be confused with DDFF): you build your meter/BRV with your quick attacks and you kill your opponent with your slower attacks, with your supers/HPs/linkers. In fact, the whole game boils down to how the player watches out for supers not to get killed by them, let alone levels 3 which can't be really escaped; just like how the player was watching out for HPs, linkers and even Ex-guards in DFF.

kiyomi

Bought this last night thanks to the discount and extra PS+ price. Downloaded both versions but I haven't touched the PS3 version yet, and right now don't even feel like I need to.

Really haven't spent much time with it but I played through Dante's arcade mode and so far, I'm really digging it. Haven't played online either.

So there are still people playing? I guess I'll go online with it pretty soon, if anyone wants some games. PSN is on my GAF profile.

TheMink

Still digging the game's intro in this day and age. The music really fits with the overall mood of the game and matches with what is going on in the cinematic, and so do the lyrics. It's pretty apparent they drew inspiration from Dissidia here. The structure of PSBAR's opening is the same as Dissidia's: rivals are battling with one another until a third party steps in just to fight with his rival in turn, all those rivalries merge into a giant melee at the end with the camera lifting to the sky and that's when the game's logo appears. Nariko and Dante clashing swords has a strong Advent Children feel, I automatically thought of Squall and Sephiroth in Dissidia's opening when I saw that. Too bad the rivalry cut-scenes are as cringe-worthy as the attempt at pulling a story out of this. That's a point Dissidia definitely beats its concurrents at.

People have been comparing this game to Smash Bros ever since day one, but I think it's also similar to Dissidia on several aspects. PSABR's meta isn't much different than DFF's (not to be confused with DDFF): you build your meter/BRV with your quick attacks and you kill your opponent with your slower attacks, with your supers/HPs/linkers. In fact, the whole game boils down to how the player watches out for supers not to get killed by them, let alone levels 3 which can't be really escaped; just like how the player was watching out for HPs, linkers and even Ex-guards in DFF.

I absolutely agree, and i love DFF, so i totally love it.

Top Bottom