• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Camjo-Z

It seems like a lot of you cry "nerf" for upper tier characters, and "buff" for mid tier characters. It should be the god tier characters in ffa and 2v2 that are nerfed way before cole, and the bottom tier characters (radec, sir dan, BD) that are buffed way before sackboy.

The god tier characters AND upper tier characters need to be nerfed, and the bottom tier characters AND mid tier characters need to be buffed. Just because we haven't been talking about Sir Dan or Big Daddy lately doesn't mean that we don't think they need improvements, and it's not like we're prioritizing one over the other.

Not that it matters anyways since it's been over 3 months and there's no sign of any sort of balance patch aside from the vague mentions Seth Killian has made about some patches that, for all we know, could just be bug fixes.

I also dislike Coles's Super 1 confirm. I love doing Sweet Tooth's, but I'm sure people dont like that either.

I'm surprised how many level 1 hit confirms there are, especially after the fact that they tried to hype the game as level 2's being the hit-confirm/combo supers while level 1's were advertised as timing (unless I'm misremembering)

Also, with Sly, I am fairly certain that killing him mid Super 1 doesn't cancel the super, since the game seems to identify Murray as a separate character. Sort of annoying, but I can see why they did that. It definitely makes his Super 1 pretty powerful.

As for the guy who said rolls shouldn't evade supers--- no way. That's the whole other half of the game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I also dislike Coles's Super 1 confirm. I love doing Sweet Tooth's, but I'm sure people dont like that either.

I'm surprised how many level 1 hit confirms there are, especially after the fact that they tried to hype the game as level 2's being the hit-confirm/combo supers while level 1's were advertised as timing (unless I'm misremembering)

Also, with Sly, I am fairly certain that killing him mid Super 1 doesn't cancel the super, since the game seems to identify Murray as a separate character. Sort of annoying, but I can see why they did that. It definitely makes his Super 1 pretty powerful.

As for the guy who said rolls shouldn't evade supers--- no way. That's the whole other half of the game.

People don't mind sweet tooth, since he has NOTHING else going on as far as supers. His 3 is solid and everything, but his 2 is a joke, and his lvl 1 is super easy to avoid. I don't mind confirms, it's how easily they're pulled off, and how many they have though that is ridiculous. Evil Cole is king of this and needs a nerf period. Drake isn't a confirm issue, it's his 2 move set with the barrel and the AK. He has all the tools to perfectly keep you at bay and he just can't be punished for any of it.

SSReborn

People don't mind sweet tooth, since he has NOTHING else going on as far as supers. His 3 is solid and everything, but his 2 is a joke, and his lvl 1 is super easy to avoid. I don't mind confirms, it's how easily they're pulled off, and how many they have though that is ridiculous. Evil Cole is king of this and needs a nerf period. Drake isn't a confirm issue, it's his 2 move set with the barrel and the AK. He has all the tools to perfectly keep you at bay and he just can't be punished for any of it.

The easiest thing they can do to Evil Coles hit confirm is let it have two different states. For example if you charge it fully and then use it within two seconds it will act as it does now and stagger you so that it can still be used as a hitconfirm. It will be way easier to dodge the hitconfirm because you know he has too use it within the first two seconds before it isn't lethal as a confirm anymore.

During the second phase it creates a short buttflop that can be dodged if you activate a level 1 but not if you're combing as to not mess up any of the combos that require his Giga Punch to be charged. This will make it so that Evil Cole players can't hold on to the Giga Punch and have it be lethal as a confirm as they see fit; they would need to be more smart about using it.

Yeah you're right :p

I sometimes feel guilty for owning with Sweet Tooth. I love owning with him.

General newbie tip:

When you are using the Razor Claws, try to get an aerial attack (in the air, press square towards enemy). This will get the enemy in a crunch state (on his/her knees) and you can hit confirm from there (at least with Sweet Tooth, and surely any other character that can hit the same speed as him)

Anyone down for some games? Everyone is playing Tomb Raider :( I has no money for that

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The easiest thing they can do to Evil Coles hit confirm is let it have two different states. For example if you charge it fully and then use it within two seconds it will act as it does now and stagger you so that it can still be used as a hitconfirm. It will be way easier to dodge the hitconfirm because you know he has too use it within the first two seconds before it isn't lethal as a confirm anymore.

During the second phase it creates a short buttflop that can be dodged if you activate a level 1 but not if you're combing as to not mess up any of the combos that require his Giga Punch to be charged. This will make it so that Evil Cole players can't hold on to the Giga Punch and have it be lethal as a confirm as they see fit; they would need to be more smart about using it.

Yeah you're right :p

I sometimes feel guilty for owning with Sweet Tooth. I love owning with him.

General newbie tip:

When you are using the Razor Claws, try to get an aerial attack (in the air, press square towards enemy). This will get the enemy in a crunch state (on his/her knees) and you can hit confirm from there (at least with Sweet Tooth, and surely any other character that can hit the same speed as him)

Anyone down for some games? Everyone is playing Tomb Raider :( I has no money for that

My bad guys did not mean evil cole, meant good cole. Good coles confirms while not as nooby friendly, are far more powerful.

omg JStein.

Second time my PS3 froze on All Stars are reset with a blinking red light... this time I noticed the brief flash of yellow as my PS3 hard reset.... Wth, is this just All Stars or am I fucked?

I played some heavy dosage of Battlefield earlier today and yesterday just fine... what's happening? :(

Sigh, I'm not playing All Stars again. If it proves that my PS3 resets and beeps with a flashing red light (with the brief yellow flash) only when I play All Stars casually (compared to the heavy BF3 sessions I have), then I cant afford fucking up my PS3.

Anyone @ SB can help me? Is it just my PS3?

On a more enjoyable note:

40 minutes of All Stars gameplay, featuring Isaac and Zeus

Notice Isaac's outro at 21 minutes

Wonder if there is animosity there, considering Gamespot 6.5'd the game

Camjo-Z

Well, guess I'm joining the party. Found a used copy for $20 with the online pass still unredeemed, so I bit. :D

Glad to have you aboard! Here is a tip to get you started: Big Daddy and Sir Daniel are two of the most overpowered characters in the game, so if you want some easy wins then use them!!

SmithnCo

Glad to have you aboard! Here is a tip to get you started: Big Daddy and Sir Daniel are two of the most overpowered characters in the game, so if you want some easy wins then use them!!

And stay away from Kratos, Raiden, both Coles, and Drake. So low tier.

TheMink

^I always chuckel a little when someone thinks their Kratos can beat my Sir Dan. People pick him cause they know him, not because hes good.

Indeed, those goddam lvl 1s. Hard to match. Id argue Toro is up there, maybe not god tier but close.

Aceun

Sigh, I'm not playing All Stars again. If it proves that my PS3 resets and beeps with a flashing red light (with the brief yellow flash) only when I play All Stars casually (compared to the heavy BF3 sessions I have), then I cant afford fucking up my PS3.

Watching Evil Cole... well... be Evil Cole upset me a lot.

whitehawk

Banned
This is all just my opinion, sorry if you disagree:

A character like cole shouldnt be prioritized for nerfs because have a lot of confirms, and is therefore tough to fight 1v1. I get that a lot of people like stock unranked, which also inevitably leads to 1v1 situations, but nerfing a character based off those experiences doesnt make much sense. This game isnt really meant to be played 1v1, its meant to be 2v2 and ffa. In 2v2, cole is top tier, but DEFINITELY not god tier. In ffa he cant rack up the kills NEARLY as fast as kratos/kat/raiden/drake/sly.

It seems like a lot of you cry "nerf" for upper tier characters, and "buff" for mid tier characters. It should be the god tier characters in ffa and 2v2 that are nerfed way before cole, and the bottom tier characters (radec, sir dan, BD) that are buffed way before sackboy.

I mean seriously, someone above mentioned that parappa should be buffed, when the boom box ap glitch hasnt even been fixed yet (to my knowledge)

Some of you really should prioritize your complaints haha
It's not just in 1v1 and 2v2. I think level 1 confirms should be removed all together because they suck in all modes. Level ones should be about punishing players inability to react to an incoming super, and rewarding players who can time their super well.

ALSO, there needs to be a playlist exclusively for the final boss level. Whenever I play smash bros with friends, 85% of the time we pick Final Destination. I love the no nonsense, pure fighting stages.

edit: if anyone wants to play right now, add me: Ukawok

It's not just in 1v1 and 2v2. I think level 1 confirms should be removed all together because they suck in all modes. Level ones should be about punishing players inability to react to an incoming super, and rewarding players who can time their super well.

ALSO, there needs to be a playlist exclusively for the final boss level. Whenever I play smash bros with friends, 85% of the time we pick Final Destination. I love the no nonsense, pure fighting stages.

Aint happening due to low numbers.

I still feel they should give us 1v1, at least for a weekend as a ranked mode or something. Tired of getting my ass kicked my GAF :(

Not to be biased haha but there is one level one hit confirm that I am okay with... Spikes RC car. If you get hit by that on the ground at a close enough range for me to net you....then you deserve to die.
Is that even REALLY a hit confirm?

BeastM0de

Neo Member

Its the same shit. You are punishing a players ability react to a set up. The only difference is whiffing a set up isn't that big of a deal. Whiffing a super is irritating. Just get better at learning characters set ups. Adjust how you approach each character differently.

And the person who posted above nailed it. People complain about E.Cole in 1 on 1 situations but THERE ISN'T EVEN A 1v1 MODE. Yeah if they add 1 v 1 then some of these complaints are valid.

E.cole is great at 1 on 1, but only good at 2 on 2, and poor at FFA. His supers are easy to interrupt and have little to no double kill potential.

As far as balancing goes...

Kratos needs some recharge time after his attacks. Slys counter needs to be significantly more punishable. Drake's barrel and machine gun need to be toned down. Less hitstun on the gun maybe more startup time/more punishable. Im not sure about that since I am a terrible drake player.

Spike needs help. His level2 should feel more like radecs. Faster, bigger, move through objects. Right now his level 2 is just a good level 1 not level 2 tier. Also his shock ball should last a bit longer. It should be more comparable to good coles freeze hit confirm. Not too much more than it is now, but reliable.

heihachi needs help. Not sure exactly what he needs though. His pseudo hitconfirm should probably be a confirm. When Kuma is summoned he should come out swinging. Maybe lunge out like that damn hippo and chase afterwards. It would be nice to feel confident in getting AT LEAST 1 kill out of his level 2.

Those are the main concerns. The top tier become managable the bottom tier become competitive. After those 5 get fixed then work on sackboy, dante, Bigdaddy or sir dan.

Haven't been able to watch the video yet, does Seth say anything else of interest? The fact that he says they're going to nerf anything at this point gives me a little hope that they'll continue to support the game...

Camjo-Z

Yeees, Seth said that they're going to nerf Evil Cole's fire punch lvl 1 super hitconfirm!

Around 19:00-19:10

More like around 12:30, took me a while to find the quote...

"That arm on successful hit, against a ground opponent, usually leaves you in a perfect position to pick 'em up with a Level 1 super and that's exactly what he did... it has a huge amount of armor on it... we gotta nerf that soon. *laughs*"

He says it in sort of a joking way, but I hope he's serious.

Why does Evil Cole's Giga Punch even have armor? It could be less broken if there was no armor on it...

Also since Zeus is gonna be OP they should add more AP for Big Daddy. They literally make fun of Big Daddy so why doesnt he get good AP? He is slow and big target with bad lv1 so it would make up sth. Big Daddy as of now is least used character ingame.

On the good news while i was playing on ranked 2v2 host team quit.... But it didnt error! Maybe they fixed that glitch?

And why doesnt Sir Dan get 40 AP on his 3 hit normal square moves? Raiden, PaRappa, Coles, Ratchet, Dante, Heihachi, Nariko, Emmett and Spike gets 40 AP (atleast) on them....

More like around 12:30, took me a while to find the quote...

"That arm on successful hit, against a ground opponent, usually leaves you in a perfect position to pick 'em up with a Level 1 super and that's exactly what he did... it has a huge amount of armor on it... we gotta nerf that soon. *laughs*"

He says it in sort of a joking way, but I hope he's serious.

He laughs at everything lol.

Is Seth working on anything else at SMS? I would imagine they would use him for something else besides repping All Stars.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeees, Seth said that they're going to nerf Evil Cole's fire punch lvl 1 super hitconfirm!

Around 19:00-19:10

YUSSSSSSSSSSSs

wait he said:

"we've gotta nerf that soon"

after he talked about the armour leading up to the hitconfirm..hmm seemed jokey but still hope they followthrough...

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
Sweet tooth players complaining about Evil Cole lvl1 hit-confirm???
seriously?? ¬¬

And also, I've never seen a GOOD Good Cole player... all they do is just Ice jump -> down+Square... is so easy to block and punish...

TheMink

seriously?? ¬¬

And also, I've never seen a GOOD Good Cole player... all they do is just Ice jump -> down+Square... is so easy to block and punish...

Not a sweet tooth player but...

Evil Coles hit confirms (plural) are pretty outstanding. A fire punch with muchas range and super armor and a grab confirm among others, sweet tooth has aboslutely nothing on those. Sweet Tooth jumps and swings a machete at point blank and hopes for contact. I dont think Sweet Tooth has another one.
Not to mention, Sweet Tooth has the worst lvl 2 in the game meanwhile Ecole has a totally useful lvl 2.

Pretty much have no leg to stand on if you think Sweet Tooths hit confirm is unfair while Ecoles is not.

And good for you not seeing a good good cole player. Your life had been better for it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
seriously?? ¬¬

LOL not even in the same stratosphere.

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
Not a sweet tooth player but...

Evil Coles hit confirms (plural) are pretty outstanding. A fire punch with muchas range and super armor and a grab confirm among others, sweet tooth has aboslutely nothing on those. Sweet Tooth jumps and swings a machete at point blank and hopes for contact. I dont think Sweet Tooth has another one.
Not to mention, Sweet Tooth has the worst lvl 2 in the game meanwhile Ecole has a totally useful lvl 2.

Pretty much have no leg to stand on if you think Sweet Tooths hit confirm is unfair while Ecoles is not.

And good for you not seeing a good good cole player. Your life had been better for it.

I'm not saying Ecole is fair and STooth isn't...
I'm saying both have cheap lvl hit confirms... Ecoles lvl 2 sucks too, he can get killed when stealing energy with it...
and if both coles get hit while activating their lvl1 they lose the kill, while STooth lvl1 is way faster and if he gets hit he doesn't lose the kill
I agree that Ecoles giga punch needs to lose the armor

Spinluck

1. Isn't that for us to decide?
2. Cole main? I personally have seen Coles rack up sick amounts of kills. It really doesn't take that long for him to build to a level 1 if he's good
3. The reason behind us all calling for buffs of mid tier characters is because we're trying to suggest ways to make X character competitive. It's easier to talk about and adjust characters that are almost there than characters like Sir Dan where we don't even know where to start.

You don't really think this game was designed for 1v1 do you? It hardly works well in Free For All. Lol

Good Cole is B to C Tier. He's really easy to fight if you evade his ice attack and don't allow redirect rocket.
Evil Cole is A Tier.

Neither are in S.

Id also like to nerf her AP gain. She is supposed to have weak AP gain right? Why is it good then?

He AP gain isn't that good, however, her combos are.

Her ability to string moves together make her AP gain look good.

Unfortunately, she has a very very noob friendly combo that people can spam.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm saying both have cheap lvl hit confirms... Ecoles lvl 2 sucks too, he can get killed when stealing energy with it...
and if both coles get hit while activating their lvl1 they lose the kill, while STooth lvl1 is way faster and if he gets hit he doesn't lose the kill

Sweet tooths is telegraphed, doesn't have armor, and isn't nearly as versatile as evil coles. On top of that evil cole is a beast all around, sweet tooth really isn't IMO. Sweet Tooths lvl 1 confirm is a non factor

whitehawk

Banned
I'm really liking Toro. He AP gain is higher than I thought it was, and I love beating people with such an expected combatant. All his supers are good too. I can get 3 kills with level 1 if I time it right. Same with level 2, but my success rate is much higher. And Level 3 is good to have as a confirmed 3 kills.

TheMink

Im going to list hit confirms better than sweet tooths:

All of them.

Seriously, everybody has hit confrims. Sweet Tooths one hit confirm is c tier. Completely non factor

Not to mention, sure E Coles lvl 2 isnt great by any means, but Sweet Tooths lvl 2 is worse than some lvl 1s. Its the worst lvl 2 in the game. And his lvl 3 doesnt make up for it. Its OK, not good enought to justify the terrible lvl 2.

Conversly both Coles overall game are undebatably better than Sweet Tooths. Movement, deversity, hit confrims, supers, combos, its all better.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Im going to list hit confirms better than sweet tooths:

All of them.

Seriously, everybody has hit confrims. Sweet Tooths one hit confirm is c tier. Completely non factor

Not to mention, sure E Coles lvl 2 isnt great by any means, but Sweet Tooths lvl 2 is worse than some lvl 1s. Its the worst lvl 2 in the game. And his lvl 3 doesnt make up for it. Its OK, not good enought to justify the terrible lvl 2.

Conversly both Coles overall game are undebatably better than Sweet Tooths. Movement, deversity, hit confrims, supers, combos, its all better.

Not all of them are better. Parappas sucks.

Nice!

And
Evil Cole and Raiden were the winners? I'd never have guessed!

Oh, that guy has one hand. WAT! He's amazing. Damn

You don't really think this game was designed for 1v1 do you? It hardly works well in Free For All. Lol

Good Cole is B to C Tier. He's really easy to fight if you evade his ice attack and don't allow redirect rocket.
Evil Cole is A Tier.

Neither are in S.

This argument is driving me crazy. There will be times in a FFA or 2v2 match where the circumstances are temporarily that of a 1v1. You and an opponent will be alone at some point.
Is anybody actually getting owned by Good Cole's redirect rocket? You basically avoid it if you're moving quickly don't you? Also question for people that know Cole well enough. What is the hit box for that level 1 super? I swear I've gotten caught in it when I was above Cole before and that's just annoying.
But I do agree Evil Cole is higher tier than good Cole...No matter how much I hate that stupid freeze ball thing

Camjo-Z

My connection finally works again so I was playing some 2v2 stock with my friend, I'm Spike and he's Kat vs an Evil Cole and a Drake... and even though my partner goes 1-3 I still win it for us lol

Best part was the post game message I recieved, and remember this is from a Drake and Evil Cole team:

"fugein cheap ass fuck"

My connection finally works again so I was playing some 2v2 stock with my friend, I'm Spike and he's Kat vs an Evil Cole and a Drake... and even though my partner goes 1-3 I still win it for us lol

Best part was the post game message I recieved, and remember this is from a Drake and Evil Cole team:

"fugein cheap ass fuck"

I shit you not I have gotten that exact message

Is this Legit?

Crash Bandicoot 2013?

vU0lk65.jpg

I want to believe

It'd be awesome to have a game for Crash to advertise by getting into the game...

Whew, I FINALLY got the double platinum for this game, finishing up my Arcade runs on the Vita version. Arcade Mode is so... freaking... dull, especially after you've run through it twice with each character. Blah.

And I get to do it four more times when Isaac and Zeus come out since Seth confirmed they're getting their own Arcade Mode trophies. Whoo!

If that was legit the URL would exist... but it doesn't.

Ha, that's such an obvious oversight. Nice.

Whew, I FINALLY got the double platinum for this game, finishing up my Arcade runs on the Vita version. Arcade Mode is so... freaking... dull, especially after you've run through it twice with each character. Blah..

I just finished up the same thing today!

Sort of. I still need to face a friend on PS3. So I'm at 100% Vita 98% PS3 right now.

Top Bottom