• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Island announced for iOS / Android / Coke Zero [Free / Summer]

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about system loyalty culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on the App Store where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over with a Vita, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Vita owners, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Uncharted, LBP, Infamous, etc. for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel PlayStation All-Stars Island or you can kiss your business goodbye.

mclem

Welp. Imagine if this was Nintendo...

Given Iwata's recent comments, this is quite useful for them since they could perhaps use it as a benchmark to either convince themselves to do something similar or explicitly show to investors why it's a bad idea.

Groof

:)

ihVp64E.jpg

SGi4kGv.jpg

/dead

amazing

SmokyDave

I'm struggling to see the issue here. Seems like a cheap and easy way to try and promote brand awareness for the franchises Sony feel are most important to casual gamers. Sure, they're probably ropey mini games but the 'hardcore' are welcome to carry on playing Demons Souls or their JRPG of choice.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I can't believe the diversity and ferocity of comments over what is essentially a very clever promotional campaign. Chill, this is cool.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Looks pretty good on my iPhone 5 and runs at 60fps and higher res than the Vita screen!

Only Uncharted is playable at the moment. Others will be free updates I guess.

EGGofSE.jpg

reminder

Corporate sponsor joke aside, why is this not on the Vita, really?

It's advertising. Thousands of people will play those free games and maybe some of them will buy a Vita/PS3 because they want more. I don't say that everyone will suddenly have the urge to buy one of the systems because of this, but these games are only about getting the word out to a huge audience.

Chojin

I can't believe the diversity and ferocity of comments over what is essentially a very clever promotional campaign. Chill, this is cool.

I'm inclined to agree. If not for people saying Nintendo should totally do this sans coca cola, but when sony does it, its hilarious.

It's a cheap way for sony to get more IP awareness. It's kinda blatant and silly on the level Doritos games on Xbox but eh, it's going to get people more interested in this kind of stuff.

Makes sense in a way to lure in more Vita owners, play the fun little coke zero game on your iPhone but buy a vita to play the REAL games full of caloric energy.

SykoTech

Can't stop laughing. And they're using the kart racing version of LBP to top it off?! Good grief.
Games are based on successful PlayStation IPs – Uncharted, LBP Karting, inFAMOUS and Gravity Rush.

Though it is pretty nice to see Gravity Rush listed as a successful Sony franchise up with the like of Uncharted, LBP, and inFamous. Hope to see a lot more of the franchise. Maybe even a PS4 title.

quetz67

Banned
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about system loyalty culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on the App Store where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over with a Vita, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Vita owners, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Uncharted, LBP, Infamous, etc. for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel PlayStation All-Stars Island or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Don't know if serious, but if so - serious overreaction.

faridmon

For all the Nintendo-gone-third-party talk, little did we know that there are other company, that was planning that all along.

massoluk

Banned
It's advertising. Thousands of people will play those free games and maybe some of them will buy a Vita/PS3 because they want more. I don't say that everyone will suddenly have the urge to buy one of the systems because of this, but these games are only about getting the word out to a huge audience.

Of course it's advertising, but this thing can't be too hard to put on Vita, like throwing a little bone on their way.

I'm inclined to agree. If not for people saying Nintendo should totally do this sans coca cola, but when sony does it, its hilarious.

It's a cheap way for sony to get more IP awareness. It's kinda blatant and silly on the level Doritos games on Xbox but eh, it's going to get people more interested in this kind of stuff.

Makes sense in a way to lure in more Vita owners, play the fun little coke zero game on your iPhone but buy a vita to play the REAL games full of caloric energy.

You think there wouldn't be a 50 page thread if Nintendo did something like this? The response here is really tame compared to the outrage that something like that would cause.

Top Bottom