• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Island announced for iOS / Android / Coke Zero [Free / Summer]

Brand Aweness game is a great idea. This is not for us core gamers. It's to widen exposure and will do far more good than harm.

Exactly what Nintendo should do, as we're seeing that their core cannot support a home console anymore.

krae_man

Omg tell me this is not real... Now i really want to know how much coca cola pay for these things.

It was some kind of contest/copro in Japan. There were only 1300 of the games made given away in a contest bundleed with Coca Cola branded PSP's

hot-shots-golf-coca-cola-special-edition-20050314113726789-000.jpg

;)

Cornbread78

can someone explain why people are getting so bent out of shape over an advergame?

because there are a bunch of drama queens out there that need something to bit(h about, so why not this? That and Gamescom isn't for another couple weeks, so we need something to pile in on...

Hardcore gamers really...

Really...

Really like to complain.

Be careful, you will get the CoD dev treatment if you preach too loudly like that, lol.

Kurod

Banned
That's very funny, a PSAS game sponsored by Coke! I told you "it's real" but you didn't believe me! WHY didn't you believe me!

something tells me nobody will get that reference

Also no PaRappa!? WTF!!

I get that reference, StinkyWizzleteats.

Flabbergasted that the leak back in may turned out to be real.

I think this could be a good promotion. It's a free mini-game that promotes PlayStation franchises to the much, much, much larger smartphone audience.

Of course, quality could be an issue. You don't want people associating Uncharted with a poor experience. But on the other hand, the Coke money could be paying for this whole thing.

I don't see this as a fundamentally flawed strategy, even if it's not perfect.

RedStep

I can't believe the diversity and ferocity of comments over what is essentially a very clever promotional campaign. Chill, this is cool.

How on Earth is this clever? It's straight-up embarassing. Sony could have made a mini-game collection and put it on iOS if they wanted to promote PSABR/their brand (as mentioned, that would have made sense a year ago).

They managed to somehow be worse than Halo and COD's Doritos/Mountain Dew thing (if only because those had the dignity to not make a browser/mobile game where Soap or Master Chief desperately needs to wade through Mountain Dew™ Game Fuel ™ to collect Doritos™ to fill up their Doritos™ Meter to unlock Doritos™ points). At least those were just food packaging (which this also has).

soooo

what's the issue here exactly? :S

Somebody posted that this new game was created, other people responded that it is fucking stupid. That's it.

BlackJace

Why are we okay with some of Sony's premiere characters being relegated to low budget advertisement vessels for fucking Coke?

I don't think they've quite gone far enough. They should have a 99c "Refreshness" in-app purchase that allows you to fill the Coca-Cola Zero™ in the top right corner all the way to the top. Then you can tap the bottle and have your character stop and become refreshed.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So what does this mean for the future of the Vita? Are Sony finally starting the process of becoming a thirdparty on handheld plattforms?

Noi

...Nope, still haven't gotten over Gravity Rush getting more representation here than in the fighting game.

How on Earth is this clever? It's straight-up embarassing. Sony could have made a mini-game collection and put it on iOS if they wanted to promote PSABR/their brand (as mentioned, that would have made sense a year ago).

They managed to somehow be worse than Halo and COD's Doritos/Mountain Dew thing (if only because those had the dignity to not make a browser/mobile game where Soap or Master Chief desperately needs to wade through Mountain Dew™ Game Fuel ™ to collect Doritos™ to fill up their Doritos™ Meter to unlock Doritos™ points). At least those were just food packaging (which this also has).

You're right. It was a Halo-branded King of the Hill game where the Warzones to conquer were your local 7-Eleven™ stores, and you had to use Doritos™ or Moutain Dew™ barcodes to refill your "ammo" and get back to the fight. Big difference.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So what does this mean for the future of the Vita? Are Sony finally starting the process of becoming a thirdparty on handheld plattforms?

No. It's really quite simple. People play the games and become acquainted with Sony franchises. A number of these people will then perhaps investigate other games with these characters. And what do they need to buy to play those games ... ?

Many millions of people will now know who Drake, Sackboy and Cole is. It's a great move. And of course, when Gaikai is released, they'll be able to play the actual games on laptops, phones, tablets, pads and TVs.

Why are people not seeing the connection between promoting franchises on none PS branded hardware and Gaikai offering PS branded franchises on none PS branded hardware? It's so frigin' obvious.

Great move Sony. It begins ...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I´m so indifferent about this.
GET HYPE
drake1.jpeg

:bow bnaughty gods!!!! NATHAN DRAKE~~~!!!!!! ANYTHING UNDER 9.5/10 IS UN A C C CE P T A B LE

Vgzy37B.gif

GtRXVVo.gif
GtRXVVo.gif
GtRXVVo.gif
GtRXVVo.gif

u jelly

O1xYGMI.png

STEP YO GAME UP

WELCOME TO THE PLAYSTATION WORLD

---
~Stumpokapow
BORN SONY DIE SONY
LBP KARTING > MARIO KART
uncharted3drakesdecepz38j0.gif

"... that's a big-ass fiddle" ~Cole McGrath, InFamous 2 (Metacritic 83)
godofwariii-finalbosskq8ia.gif

"No one will care when I gut you like a stinking fish!" ~Nariko, Heavenly Sword (EXCLUSIVELY FOR SONY PLAYSTATION 3, SUCK IT HATERS)
UWupXmd.jpg
g461D6J.jpg

B.O.O.M

Somebody posted that this new game was created, other people responded that it is fucking stupid. That's it.

You are straight up crazy if you think this is going to be harmful to the brands or embarrassing. What is this 'dignity' bullshit exactly? You think people who buy these simple ios/android games will go oh yeah Nathen Drake..I know him and this is sad or something? No. These are different demographics.

People get worked up for the weirdest things I swear. This has no affect on me nor should it have on any other console gamer. These are businesses..they try their hand in different markets and make marketing deals...news at 6

I trying to figure this out as well.

Pretty much.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay so let's go over the plot.

Cole, using his lightning abilities, powers a PlayStation Coke-Zero Plane™ to a remote island:

Unfortunately Drake realizes that, unlike the others, he can't fly. However, thankfully Sackboy is there, armed with a Coke Zero™ parachute to save him.

That's adorable. I can't hate Drake or Sackboy.

Top Bottom