• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation App Release Date Announced NA: Nov. 13th Europe: Nov. 22nd

kaiyo

So basically you can only turn on the PS4 within your home using the App? Since that is really the only point they are on the same WiFi network?

Disappointing but maybe something they can enhance in a later point in time.

Y would you want to start it remotely?

DBT85

Remote to control the system will be perfect for films. I control XBMC from my phone/tablet too so this is what I wanted.

No extra remote for me!

Y would you want to start it remotely?

scare the shit out of your family. Especially if you set it to turn on the TV and switch inputs as well via HDMI CEC. Then start playing a video from your phone that you saved onto the PS4 the night before. About ghosts or some shit.

Would be nice to know if they're at least working on a Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8 version of this, else no PS app for me. :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Say I am driving home from work, I would like to turn it on and get it to start downloading a new game I purchased at work via the App.

Something like that I could think of.

The PS4 will be able to download things in the background in standby mode, it doesn't actually have to be on like the PS3. If you purchase something via the app, it should start downloading on the console without you having to turn it on first, and hopefully be ready by the time you get home.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So basically you can only turn on the PS4 within your home using the App? Since that is really the only point they are on the same WiFi network?

Disappointing but maybe something they can enhance in a later point in time.

That's more of a security thing. Tivo is the same. It controls the device fully, but only on the same network.

It also makes sense because you do not want to have to go through servers outside the home for the functionality. Because then it can be laggy and unresponsive, and also insecure.

I forget what device had to go through servers, and the remote would take 1 second or so after button press for the device to actually do what you said. Also, the servers were overloaded right after Xmas and it was not working at all. So people were outraged and they changed it.

jcm

Once installed, users can use their PlayStation®App to control their PS4 system as long as both devices have access to the same Wi-Fi access point. For example, users can switch their PS4 system to standby mode, startup their PS4 system from standby mode, and use their mobile phone as a keyboard for their PS4 system.

So I've got a remote app for my AppleTV, a remote app for my AVR, and a remote app for my PS4. And my AVR can control the TV through HDMI-CEC I think. I need someone to whip me up a universal remote app, and then I should be able to control everything via iPad. That'd be an okay solution to my Harmony problem.

Love that you can use it to send messages to people on ps3 and vita as well. This is a true PlayStation app and not a PS4 app as I previously expected. Good job Sony.

kaiyo

Remote to control the system will be perfect for films. I control XBMC from my phone/tablet too so this is what I wanted.

No extra remote for me!

scare the shit out of your family. Especially if you set it to turn on the TV and switch inputs as well via HDMI CEC. Then start playing a video from your phone that you saved onto the PS4 the night before. About ghosts or some shit.

That's what the PSV is for =P

Say I am driving home from work, I would like to turn it on and get it to start downloading a new game I purchased at work via the App.

Something like that I could think of.

It auto downloads once you purchase/activate download on the PS app.

That's what the PSV is for =P

It auto downloads once you purchase/activate download on the PS app.

Ah I see.

What was it I read before where you could use the Vita I think to turn your system on remotely. Will that work the same way, only via same network, or will the Vita have special access that allows it to turn the PS4 on via any network, ala the Remote Play.

I just got nervous when I saw this function staying on the same Access Point lol, just hope there is no " oh yeah and the remote play needs the same access point too " type surprise.

Not sure why they are making EU wait for the app, would it be the same .apk file? Which we could just search on Google for and download once released in the US?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ah I see.

What was it I read before where you could use the Vita I think to turn your system on remotely. Will that work the same way, only via same network, or will the Vita have special access that allows it to turn the PS4 on via any network, ala the Remote Play.

I just got nervous when I saw this function staying on the same Access Point lol, just hope there is no " oh yeah and the remote play needs the same access point too " type surprise.

There are different meanings to "turn on". One is turn it on as you would pressing a button, so you get display on tv and everything. Essentially a remote control by being on the same wireless network. The other meaning is turn it on for low power mode to do things but not display to the local TV. This is background downloads, sync, remote play and so forth.

I think people are using "turn on" interchangeably and it is confusing some. Much like low power mode is being confused between console standby and game suspend.

wizzbang

Banned
So would I be right in thinking I can remotely buy and install a game with my phone and IIRC WoL will remotely turn on my PS4, download the game then turn off?
Also can I block the remote turn on and install? /at will/ ?

As an Aussie, some months it would be great to start downloading a 2gb game I just purchased from PSN. Other months it could be very bad for my console to turn on and churn down a 30gb game (chewing up 33% of my internet quota)

AndyD

aka andydumi
So would I be right in thinking I can remotely buy and install a game with my phone and IIRC WoL will remotely turn on my PS4, download the game then turn off?
Also can I block the remote turn on and install? /at will/ ?

As an Aussie, some months it would be great to start downloading a 2gb game I just purchased from PSN. Other months it could be very bad for my console to turn on and churn down a 30gb game (chewing up 33% of my internet quota)

If it's anything like PS3 and the current store you can control the whole thing. When you checkout online it asks separately whether you want to add it to your download queue. So you can selectively say yes just to the items you want. I do this quite a bit with PS+ games, only install what I know I want to play soon, but checkout on all of them to add them to the library.

wizzbang

Banned
If it's anything like PS3 and the current store you can control the whole thing. When you checkout online it asks separately whether you want to add it to your download queue. So you can selectively say yes just to the items you want. I do this quite a bit with PS+ games, only install what I know I want to play soon, but checkout on all of them to add them to the library.

So it sounds like I can still make a mobile purchase on the go to snap up time limited bargains but not initiate the download if need be - seems good to me.

I'm going to rage pretty hard if only a few (likely xperia) phones are initially supported on the Android side.

It's surprising how many apps these days are releasing with extremely limited compatibility. Often they don't even have anything to do with Android version or Tegra.

satam55

Banned
Not on Windows Phone 8?

I suppose it was too much to hope for, that Sony would support a Microsoft device :(

Windows Phone is irrelevant. You might as well ask Sony to make an app for Blackberry, Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, & etc. while you're at it.

FranXico

Windows Phone is irrelevant. You might as well ask Sony to make an app for Blackberry, Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, & etc. while you're at it.

It's fair enough the WP8 does not have enough users, but why not a Windows 8 app? My laptop is running 8.1, and I would love to control my PS4 from it.

satam55

Banned
Not for Vita?

Lame, I don't have no smartphone and I never will :(

wtf.png
Go buy 1, ASAP!!!. You can definitely buy a decent mid-range Dual-core/1GB of RAM Android smartphone that will run Android Jellybean smoothly for under $100 on ebay.

It's fair enough the WP8 does not have enough users, but why not a Windows 8 app? My laptop is running 8.1, and I would love to control my PS4 from it.

dahell2.png
Because it's........Windows 8

ck2875

I say this now, but I'm probably more excited for this app than the actual PS4 atm (not that I'm not pumped for it, as well). It will be nice being able to see if my friends are online, receive messages, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
wtf.png
Go buy 1, ASAP!!!. You can definitely buy a decent mid-range Dual-core/1GB of RAM Android smartphone for under $100 on ebay, that will run Android Jellybean smoothly.

No, I don't want one. I have other electronics that do all the features smart phones do, and I don't like talking on the phone or texting much at all - I try to avoid it as much as possible, prefer face to face talks or the internet. I also don't have to get all freaked out when I lose my phone, since it's just a simple $20 pay-as-you-go affair, and losing it is no big deal. PLUS the number I have for this phone I have had since high school, which is over a decade ago now, so all sorts of contacts still know me by that number. Even those I haven't been in touch with for a while would still have this number. So trying to contact everyone to share a new number is a mess, and when i went to ATT they said they can't transfer a pay-as-you-go account # to a smartphone. So it's not worth it for my purposes.

So, yeah. I just want an app for something I have like Vita :p

No, I don't want one. I have other electronics that do all the features smart phones do, and I don't like talking on the phone or texting much at all - I try to avoid it as much as possible, prefer face to face talks or the internet. I also don't have to get all freaked out when I lose my phone, since it's just a simple $20 pay-as-you-go affair, and losing it is no big deal. PLUS the number I have for this phone I have had since high school, which is over a decade ago now, so all sorts of contacts still know me by that number. Even those I haven't been in touch with for a while would still have this number. So trying to contact everyone to share a new number is a mess, and when i went to ATT they said they can't transfer a pay-as-you-go account # to a smartphone. So it's not worth it for my purposes.

The vita app is coming via a firmware update that should come near the ps4 launch. Don't worry my friend

Edit: beaten

Deepo

The language and content of the website will depend on the country the user's Sony Entertainment Network account is registered.

I HATE this. Horrible translations incoming. MS has been doing this forever, but I've always been so happy with Sony for letting me choose language independent of my PSN id.

English: I DO speak it!

satam55

Banned

You don't have to use your smartphone as phone, if you don't want to. I don't really talk or text on my smartphone either, so I don't have any phone service it. I just use my android smartphone as a mini-tablet. I browse the web, watch Movies & TV, use a 3rd-party twitter, Youtube, check my email, App, & etc. The upcoming PS App was the only reason I bought a new phone.

Top Bottom