• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Bid On Items With Gold Trophies (CFW cheaters winning)

maybe it's the greatest cheater ambush of all time?

all the cheaters outbid on every item. they show up to a warehouse to pick up their goods as invited by sony, BUT A SMOKE GRENADE APPEARS AND THE LIGHTS SHUT OFF. *cue counter_terrorists_win.wav*

We need famousmortimer up in here.

Not that there's any guarantee they'll see it, but I've sent a msg via twitter to the @Playstation account as well as a few of the Sony public faces (Mr. Boyes, Yoshida-san, etc...). If some other people do the same the message will likely get through.

panty

Sony must know by now what's up. They probably check the winner's trophy progression or something to verify its authenticity.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well even the hacking websites are astounded that the cheater won the first item

They're more like how stupid can you be

You cheat away, bid, win, most will check just based on principle, and you have the audacity to leave this in your PSN Comment:
y8X3hXJ.png

"Achieved Greatness"

Wow....

Satchel

Banned
I really doubt I have enough golds to get anything. I only have a handful of platinums. My level is 12 at 21% to 13.

GraveRobberX

I really doubt I have enough golds to get anything. I only have a handful of platinums. My level is 12 at 21% to 13.

Hopefully if Sony looks into it, they cancel and restart in a week with an overhaul

Just do 1 Gold = 1 Raffle Ticket

Place all on 1 item or spread them out

All 15 winners have to be legit, if you have any huge discrepancy you are disqualified, runner up gets the prize

Not fucking hard to create a white list of games like Sound Shapes or Sly 4 that award you double platinum by the YOPO (you only pay once) moniker

Just have an algorithm set up that searches account that used raffle tickets where games appear to be duped, knock them off

Trophy hacking isn't exactly an unknown thing. I'd like to believe Sony was already aware of it, and made plans to verify the legitimacy of bids. But even if they didn't, good to see they're acknowledging and saying they'll look into the complaints. I'm expecting fraudulent bids to be invalidated and prizes to go to the actual highest legitimate bids. There are few enough prizes for Sony to thoroughly vet the winners of each one. Some of the Gaffers in here with legit 500+ gold trophies may actually win some stuff after all!

Jonboy

Hopefully if Sony looks into it, they cancel and restart in a week with an overhaul

All 15 winners have to be legit, if you have any huge discrepancy you are disqualified, runner up gets the prize

Not fucking hard to create a white list of games like Sound Shapes or Sly 4 that award you double platinum by the YOPO (you only pay once) moniker

Just have an algorithm set up that searches account that used raffle tickets where games appear to be duped, knock them off
Makes perfect sense. Gives everyone a chance, but those with the most trophies have the best chance. Seems only fair to me.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I wish they would do this. Sorta like that World of Warcraft/ Mountain Dew promotion they had awhile back. I actually won a pretty nice keyboard from that because it gave people a fair shot.

LiK

I had the same thoughts too. It should be a raffle so everyone gets a chance.

Zaptruder

Banned
Setting aside the matter of cheating borking things up, this is a pretty damn clever way of incentivizing brand loyalty and time spent with the console playing more games.

Just make it a semi-regular event (annual, or even semi-annual)... and along with physical props used for promotions, put up other (digital) prizes that can be won for runner ups.

Games, credit, and other goodies so that normal people aren't left out in the cold.

And people bitch when they get banned for CFW. Smh. I'm sure they'll address this.

Well even the hacking websites are astounded that the cheater won the first item

They're more like how stupid can you be

You cheat away, bid, win, most will check just based on principle, and you have the audacity to leave this in your PSN Comment:
y8X3hXJ.png

"Achieved Greatness"

Wow....

I hope they brick his PS3.

Anyway, how many do you have?

I like the raffle idea, too, to give everyone a chance to win and get excited over it, instead of simply being spectators, knowing we have no shot at any of it. But the contest rules have already been set, and as long as Sony invalidate the fraudulent bids, the people with legit high bids would have a valid gripe if Sony decided to change the rules mid-contest. Maybe Sony can do it differently for future contests, but I see no problem with giving these items to people who've spent an exorbitant amount of time actually playing PlayStation games. They'd certainly appreciate it more than some random person who rarely plays games, and just got lucky with his single gold trophy bid.

GraveRobberX

And people bitch when they get banned for CFW. Smh. I'm sure they'll address this.

I hope they brick his PS3.

Anyway, how many do you have?

At the moment: @644

Will earn trophies over the weekend, should be hovering 650 by next week

Still not enough to sniff at the items
(As you can see I'm 99 US (You can remove 20-30 people off the US, even though they say are US, they really are International, like #1 = German/Dutch, #2 Hakoom = Middle East) and 368 Worldwide)

A raffle would be the best option for something like this. I love the idea and I applaud Sony for it, but the cheaters have already ruined it and the only option for Sony is too pull the curtain on the cheaters. Maybe pull the contest and instead make it a raffle instead of a bid, because people who do play a lot of games but may not work on Trophy hunting get kind of shafted and that is unfortunate.

Great idea, but botched execution. Cheaters be shamed.

Noi

Even with how undercooked the idea was, I definitely hope this attempt doesn't scare away any plans to do more with trophies. I do like how the sign in actually keeps track of how many trophies have been "used up", which sounds like a good basis for a reward system of the same vein. Think Club Nintendo's coins but with trophies.

Rent/Buy Terminator Salvation

Enjoy 11 Gold + 1 Platinum lol
I don't even understand how you can earn these trophies. I have forced myself several times to earn trophies but i always end up losing interest after a while. Kill x enemies with y weapon z times to get a trophy and shizz like that just don't interest me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
From Kotaku

Gamefan
Redsoxfan95 is a known Call of Duty and Minecraft cheater as well. Stupid idiot hacker punk got greedy. 11 minutes ago

Noi

I don't even understand how you can earn these trophies. I have forced myself several times to earn trophies but i always end up losing interest after a while. Kill x enemies with y weapon z times to get a trophy and shizz like that just don't interest me.

On the flipside, trophies like that can get players to use weapons they otherwise wouldn't give the light of day. Plenty of players would rather stick with 'ol reliable shotgun and rifle than experiment with "atomic gene splicer 5" unless you give them a reason to.

Mxrz

This would be nice, but I doubt it. Much as I dig Sony, when it comes to give aways and things, ehh.. . Although the Subway stuff was really nice.

59 golds. No bling for me. Ah well.

At the moment: @644

Will earn trophies over the weekend, should be hovering 650 by next week

Still not enough to sniff at the items
(As you can see I'm 99 US (You can remove 20-30 people off the US, even though they say are US, they really are International, like #1 = German/Dutch, #2 Hakoom = Middle East) and 368 Worldwide)

Still pretty ballin. =]

Top Bottom