• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Classic’s Full Lineup of 20 Games Revealed

Bullet Club

About time!

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms
That's pretty cool list of games.

Bullet Club

Yeah, RE2 would have been better than RE1 and Destruction Derby 2 over DD1 would have been good as well. I still like the list of games though. Really wasn't expecting to see Revelations: Persona.

yoBV9Li.jpg

Last edited:

Iaterain

I'm more disappointed than pleased.
There are some great classic games but there are also many titles I've never heard of or don't care about.
p.s. Also surprised that there is no Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the dragon/Resident Evil II and III/ Final Fantasy VIII and IX/Tomb Raider/Silent Hill/Tony Hawk's Pro SKater and many other iconic PSOne games on the list. Maybe I was keeping my expectations too high...

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They added the Revelations? Risky move I don't think new Atlus people would even like oldschool Persona.

Vawn

Banned
Resident Evil 1 is one of my favorite games ever. It's probably my most replayed game ever and says "PS1" to me more than any other game except maybe FFVII.

radewagon

Why would I want to play MGS without a Dual Shock?
I unno, guys.... this is a very "meh" list. The only saving grace, at this point, is the possibility of adding more games via hacking.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Persona Revelations was my first jrpg shocked its on here! Now I HAVE to get this!

Oddworld and Rayman but no Klonoa??? LAME

Mr Driller AND Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo? did we really need BOTH of these?

Jumping Flash gets old really fast...IMO

Rest of the list is GREAT

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
Intelligent Qube

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah... This is gonna need some hacks.
Just look at what the Japanese version has.

Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad 2
Armored Core
Ridge Racer Type 4
Intelligent Qube
Gradius Gaiden
XI [sái]
SaGa Frontier
G Darius
Jumping Flash
Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
Tekken 3
Toshinden
Biohazard (RE1) Director's Cut
Parasite Eve
Final Fantasy VII International
Mr. Driller
Persona 1
Metal Gear Solid
Wild Arms

Until someone finds a way to put Mega Man X 4 and Symphony of the Night on it then forget it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pallas

They added the Revelations? Risky move I don't think new Atlus people would even like oldschool Persona.

Kind of surprised that they picked that one and not P2:EP, the first Persona was fun but it didn’t age well before the PSP remake.

gloone

There are some great classic games but there are also many titles I've never heard of or don't care about.
p.s. Also surprised that there is no Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the dragon/Resident Evil II and III/ Metal Gear Solid II/ Final Fantasy VIII and IX/Tomb Raider/Silent Hill/Tony Hawk's Pro SKater and many other iconic PSOne games on the list. Maybe I was keeping my expectations too high...

Alot of those titles pretty much require a analog stick. Others are or have been released as remasters. One is not even a Playstation game.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Let’s be honest guys, if you don’t like it... I’m pretty sure that after a short time it will be hackable, like the SNES and NES mini.

Sony will purposely make it hackable, mark my words. You won’t be able to just stick a cable in and do it instantly and easily, but they won’t lock it down.

Financially they will see that there’s mor chance to sell this if people know they can use it however they want, compared to Iocking it down. They would never admit that, mind you. Piracy is bad. But they know they can make money that way.

What’s a bigger issue however is how duel shock pad, so no sticks... that sucks :(

Fox Mulder

Better than I was expecting honestly.

Huge omissions due to licensing and third parties owning games. Stuff like Tony Hawk and Gran Turismo was never going to happen. Activision has every reason to hold Spyro and Crash off given the remake collections.

Hopefully is gets hacked and can swap out some games at least. Like who wants Twisted Metal over Twisted Metal 2?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Mostly filler but mgs and cool boarders 2 are solid gets.

I mean beyond what was already listed at announcement.

Last edited:
p.s. Also surprised that there is no Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the dragon/Resident Evil II and III/ Metal Gear Solid II/ Final Fantasy VIII and IX/Tomb Raider/Silent Hill/Tony Hawk's Pro SKater and many other iconic PSOne games on the list. Maybe I was keeping my expectations too high...

MGS2 is a PS2 game.

cireza

Not that great of a list if you ask me.

Is this supposed to summarize the "greatness" of the entire PS1 lifespan ?

I simply see a list of 20 games that Sony managed to get the rights for with a minimal effort, that are not even the best in their respective series.

Impotaku

As someone who loved the weird & quirky games this "classic" lineup is trash, so they have total shit like toshinden in there but parappa is left out err ok lets fill it with the dross that populates the boring uk mainstream top ten. Suprised they didn't just give it 20 versions of fifa & be done with it.

Betta pray that thing can be hacked as that built in selection will not get me to part with £89

LordRaptor

For the authentic Euro experience, it should only work upside down, and the first game people hack onto it should be Thrill Kill

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I think the only reason I would buy this would be to load roms of PS1 titles not available on PSN, such as Working Designs games and the like. I have nearly every game on that list already on my PSTV and I already don't play them.

Codes 208

I was hoping for classic crash and spyro. Also no RE2? The rest of the list is mixed with meh and average for me (besides gta and rayman.) So Ill pass for now. Wake me when they announce a ps2 classic

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I think Sony's tastes differ greatly than mine. Still i'll probably buy it for memorabilia/nostalgia reasons even though i still have my original PS1.

Orta

Banned
Intelligent Qube (think it was called Kurushi here in PAL land) is a great puzzler. Would have loved Kula World on there too.

I really, really hope this little box can be hacked.

BONDO

Eh its ok.
Would have preferred Twisted Metal 2 over 1....1 was meh
Gran Turismo
Tenchu
Dino Crisis
Tomb Raider

Kazza

I feel like you're better off spending $100 on some PSone classics for PS3/PSP/Vita.

I opted for a Saturn rather than a PS One that gen (I regret nothing!), so I'm quite interested in this. Are there any games on this list which aren't already available on PSN via PS3, PSP or Vita?

Zog

Banned
Some of my favorites would have been Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Cross, Any Crash game, Any Spyro game, Grandia, Lunar SSSC, NFL Blitz, Any Gran Turismo and many more that aren't on this list.

Before anyone tells me that some of these require the analog stick, not including the analog stick was a mistake on Sony's part. I can't imagine what they were thinking. Maybe they are planning a Model 2 with a proper controller (just 1 no doubt) and better games in a year.

Last edited:

Griffon

No Wipeout, no Tomb Raider, no GT, no Silent Hill, no Tenchu, no Castlevania SOTN, no Legacy of Kain.

wut.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is actually a decent list. For a console that has so many greats, you are not going to be able to get them all in, but they have a great mix of genres.

Last edited:

Vitacat

Very good list. There are so many good PS1 games, so you're never going to choose 20 that pleases everyone, but I think they did a great job of balancing a variety of genres.

Geki-D

Banned
No Wipeout, no Tomb Raider, no GT
Very odd these games aren't there, GT & Wipeout are first party so I don't see why not. No Spyro or Crash too, those are some pretty important PSX games. it's a shame SH isn't there but they can't have everything. TW2 & RE2 would have been better choices considering their popularity even though I prefer RE1.

kunonabi

Persona is a welcome surprise and nice for people who have only played that piece of shit PSP remake. Not too many stinkers in the lot. I'm not buying one but it is a good selection.

cireza

PS1 has an amazing Doom port.
PS1 has Symphony of the Night.
And honestly, a 2D Fighter would have been nice. Darkstalkers 3 or Real Bout Dominated Mind, for example.

Who is going to play the first Toshinden ? This game has aged awfully. The second game was much better, and probably the best of the series. Would have been a much better pick.

Rainbow Six on PS1 ? lol...

No Tomb Raider ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom