• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Classic’s Full Lineup of 20 Games Revealed

onQ123

Clearly we are all spoiled if we expected a $99 mini console to come with 20 games that we all wanted.

Even without the hardware the price would be around $99 for 20 PS1 games at $4.99 each publishers are not going to add their games to this thing for free.

JimboJones

There are some REALLY odd choices here. Destruction Derby 2 and Twisted Metal 2 are both vastly better than the first game - are they saving the sequels for the PS Classic 2? That's the only reason I can think of that they did this.
Secondly, the Directors Cut of Resident Evil has the worst music ever in a videogame. It should be erased from existence. Again, the omission of RE2 makes me think they have a second PS Classic in the cards.

Aside from those three, it's a pretty solid list.. but there are a lot of glaring omissions. Silent Hill, WipEout, Tomb Raider, Tomba, etc.

There is definitely gonna be a PSone mini with duelshock controllers if this sells well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nintendo wouldn't omit Mario 64 though and Crash Bandicoot was Sony's direct Mario competitor.

Probably due to it being on the PS4 in the remake, along with Spyro.

Also for SotN, they just released it on the PS4 as well. I am sure there are Publishers picking and choosing as well.

Last edited:
Pre order cancelled I'm pretty sure. I'll grab a cheaper one off ebay somewhere down the line because no doubt a ton of these systems were bought to scalp and the list is pretty meh so I can't see them holding their price

Last edited:

splattered

It's an ok list... they've said that there won't be an official way to add games to the system so I wonder if they're planning on releasing a "Mini PlayStation 2" in the future with stuff like gran Turismo 2, twisted metal 2, RE2, etc etc haha

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You guys have to remember Sony can’t just put what they want. They need permission from the ip holders for third party games.

No GT though must be a car manufacturer licensing issue.

Zog

Banned
You guys have to remember Sony can’t just put what they want. They need permission from the ip holders for third party games.

No GT though must be a car manufacturer licensing issue.

Oh how could we forget, every other post is making excuses for the mediocre game lineup.

Last edited:

Akuza89

I can understand why the list feels "lacking" without games like crash or spyro... it won't feel right, however I can see why they didn't add them or request them what with the remaster's being out.

Although, leaving symphony of the night and tomb raider out.... seems a little confusing... surely with sony's partnerships with konami and square-enix this could have been possible...?

KellyM

I feel they should have had some form of internet connection to PSN, so people could buy and download other PS1 games.

93xfan

Banned
Good list, but why do we always get the shitty version of Resident Evil (Shitty because of the music)?

Edit: on second thought, why should I be praising this list at all? These games should be easily playable on PS4.

And would’ve loved Jumping Flash 2 over 1.

Last edited:

KellyM

I can understand why the list feels "lacking" without games like crash or spyro... it won't feel right, however I can see why they didn't add them or request them what with the remaster's being out.

Although, leaving symphony of the night and tomb raider out.... seems a little confusing... surely with sony's partnerships with konami and square-enix this could have been possible...?
Considering that the Japanese version of PS1 Classic has more Square-Enix games then the Western one. Actually a better list of games overall.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
They covered their asses with the rerelease of castlevania sotn (which has aged INCREDIBLY well) , the crash games (all remastered) and re2 (cause of the remake).

Edit: if there’s no Silent Hill 2 on the ps2 classic, I will be upset. Very upset.

Last edited:
Decent list but it pretty much confirms there will be a PSOne Mini Classic with dual analogs and much sexier case next year due to the glaring omissions.

Ok selection despite a couple oddballs or inferior versions of certain games.

Though personally I can't say I have any interest in replaying most of these outside of maybe like, IQ and Jumping Flash.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel they should have had some form of internet connection to PSN, so people could buy and download other PS1 games.

Mentioned this in the reveal thread, but this would add an incredibly huge amount of hardware costs and development to the Classic. They would have to provide connectivity either via Ethernet or Wifi (or both) which would increase the cost of each unit for proper hardware and spec licensing. They would also have to code settings screens for configuring your network connection, logging in to PSN, buying games, downloading games, queue management, etc which would be a huge amount of additional QA. You would also need to code a data management screen for deleting games you no longer want to have installed since space isn't unlimited. And on top of all that, you now have to re-certify every available PS1 game on PSN to make sure it runs correctly on the Classic hardware.

All these things would cost Sony money. I'm sure they realize that a huge number of people won't even ever turn these devices on or will play them for a few hours then forget about them and go back to playing RDR2.

Doom85

I get their mindset with some of the "omissions" here. Sony probably felt with the Crash and Spyro remakes being so recent there wouldn't be much demand for the originals so soon after (in general, before I get several commenters going, "but I wanted them!"). On that note, it would be downright bizarre to throw Castlevania SOTN on there when it just came out on PS4. They also generally kept it to one game per series to keep the line-up from focusing too hard on particular people's tastes (Nintendo mostly did the same with the NES/SNES classics).

Edit: if there’s no Silent Hill 2 on the ps2 classic, I will be upset. Very upset.

Probably is out of Sony's hands, didn't Konami screw something up and lose the original materials (not sure what that's properly called) of 2 and possibly 3? Which is why that garbage HD Collection is possibly what we're stuck with from now on.

This list reeks of a possible PS1 Classic Dual Shock Edition down the line. Can't say I have any interest in this classic, happy for the people that do though. This selection does make me respect Nintendo's efforts and negotiating efforts with 3rd party more for there minis however.

Also like the Japanese lineup better too.

Glad Persona is there, used copies of it cost far more than the PS1 classic, get fucked overcharging resellers! Too bad it's not aged well, especially compared to a lot of other PS1 RPG's.

@Revolutionary @ JimboJones JimboJones @ KellyM KellyM @ 93xfan 93xfan
You guys are thinking of RE Director's Cut Dual Shock Edition, I would hope that a classics console without dual shock controllers wouldn't come with the dual shock version of the game.

Stuart360

Not a great list imo. Some real classics missing for me. I dont know why they are always obsessed with 20 games on these retro consols, give us 100 games, or atleast a way to pay to download more PS1 games.

wipeout364

No wipeout or colony wars makes me sad. Not much Psygnosis love there. Parasite eve would have been nice, final fantasy tactics as well but I guess the IP holder is probably getting 1 dollar or two for the license hence the poor selection.

ROMhack

Subjective of course but that's a boring line-up for me. I feel they've tried too hard to opt for nostalgia rather than representing what's still cool about games from the PS1 era. Sure people might remember games like Coolboarders 2, Syphon Filter, GTA, Destruction Derby, Rainbow Six and Rayman but who actually is itching to play them again?

The Japanese selection seem more well-rounded.

Edit: And the absence of Wipeout seems really strange. Not saying I wanted to play it but it was a core game in marketing the console in the West. Fast, fun, futuristic, etc.

Last edited:

FranXico

No wipeout or colony wars makes me sad. Not much Psygnosis love there. Parasite eve would have been nice, final fantasy tactics as well but I guess the IP holder is probably getting 1 dollar or two for the license hence the poor selection.
Really. Sony is sitting on a GOLDMINE of great Psygnosis IPs and the only one they think of ressurecting is Shadow of the Beast.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I get their mindset with some of the "omissions" here. Sony probably felt with the Crash and Spyro remakes being so recent there wouldn't be much demand for the originals so soon after (in general, before I get several commenters going, "but I wanted them!"). On that note, it would be downright bizarre to throw Castlevania SOTN on there when it just came out on PS4. They also generally kept it to one game per series to keep the line-up from focusing too hard on particular people's tastes (Nintendo mostly did the same with the NES/SNES classics).

Probably is out of Sony's hands, didn't Konami screw something up and lose the original materials (not sure what that's properly called) of 2 and possibly 3? Which is why that garbage HD Collection is possibly what we're stuck with from now on.
They “misplaced” the source code. Is that still an issue for putting it in a classic console? Oh, please don’t tell me so.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Glad to see Intelligent Qube but where is Devil Dice?

Yeah, Sony includes them in their avatar selection for PS4 yet its not seen anywhere else on the network. I had to import the sequel and I just got Bombastic on PS2. I imported Intelligent Cube considering how much people wanted for the NTSC version. I owned it at one point in my life, but decided to sell it when the prices were high.

Mr. Driller is shocking as I don't remember that title really standing out. I could say the Street Fighter II Collection could have been added to the list, but that's probably saturating the market with copies of Street Fighter II.

They could have thrown in Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi at this point lol

Lightsbane

Pretty awful list. Not really interested in re-playing any of those, except for Resident Evil. But seeing as I already have that for several other consoles... pass.

Ozrimandias

I was really into the mini versions of classic consoles, i was very interested in a psone mini.
But, i have my psvita tv, loaded with roms of my favorites games for snes, nes, gba, genesis...all of them with thumbnails and in its proper playlist. Also,in my Ps3...i have a large amount of ps1 classic, i can play them in of course my ps3 and my soon to arrive, psvita.

So, dont need for a mini console, its a nonsense....i almost was carried away with the marketing around it

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I imagine it will upscale to 720p and include some options to "improve" the visuals.

Nah if they were doing anything like that their marketing would be all about putting "HD" in the title, like "Playstation Classic HD"

cryptoadam

Banned
Isn't really much nostaligia for me on these games, and these early 3D games don't really age well like 16 bit and 8 bit games. Already seeing the trailer for MSG/Rainbow Six/Syphon Filter turned me off a bit.

Also think it was a big mistake to not include the Dual Shock with the PS mini. Probably limited the amount of games they could put on this thing, and for all the people mentioning hacking, another set back there. Just feels underwhelming but I didn't get into Sony until PS2 days so this system might not be for me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Isn't really much nostaligia for me on these games, and these early 3D games don't really age well like 16 bit and 8 bit games. Already seeing the trailer for MSG/Rainbow Six/Syphon Filter turned me off a bit.

I think its all about perception and how the limitations in graphics come together piece by piece. Polygons aren't terrible even when they're squares and pointy ends. There are plenty of good looking PS1 games. Vagrant Story, Xenogears, and etc. The snow effects and Shadow Moses look good. It isn't about what it would look like in the Unreal Engine. Its how it formed the 3D embodiment of an object at that point in time. I think its only bad if the graphics put the player in a position where they cannot advance in the game due to their graphics.

Top Bottom