• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Classic’s Full Lineup of 20 Games Revealed

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
It's just as I thought before, I'd rather play the PS1 Classic I basically built with my Vita TV.

Mega Man X 4
Mega Man X 5
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legend 2
Tron Bonne
Mega Man 8
Breath of Fire 4
Resident Evil 3
Dino Crisis
Metal Gear Solid
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy 7
Vagrant Story
Klonoa
Alundra

Yes I'm aware it's very Capcom and Konami biased and I would have loved to add a few more to it but it's fine enough for me now.

I get what you're saying and it's true, but despite that most people still were pretty satisfied with the SNES classic lineup though (after they got over going from 30 with NES to 21), only consistent major complaints were no Chrono Trigger and Donkey Kong Country 2 (and Dragon Quest V for the Japanese version), and I would say F-Zero was the only included game that should have been axed for something better. So that shows you can still please a wide variety of people about the best you can under this limitation, it felt like a greatest hits lineup of games with just 2 or 3 major MIA's and a few not so greatest hits with 1 iffy, but I'm just not filling that with Sony's efforts in game selection.

To add what I felt missing in SNES Classic (outside of Chrono Trigger and DKC2):

Super Mario All-Stars
Breath of Fire
DKC3
Turtles In Time
Street Racer (the PS1 version felt weird for me once I played it)|
FF2/4
Mortal Kombat 2
Killer Instinct
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Lufia 2
Desert Strike
Clay Fighter
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe or Sensible Soccer
Harvest Moon
Earthworm Jim
Terranigma
Star Ocean (official localization for the first time would've been awesome, though it's obviously not something I think about when SNES comes to mind)
Super Bomberman
Pilotwings

There's also a lot of other games, like a lot of DIsney or other franchise based games that were defining across Genesis/SNES.
I'd easily trade away the Kirby games for any of the games on the list. I guess a certain problem is that some games were released in Europe, other in NA, though to me at the time it was ordinary that you knew some with a NTSC SNES who'd you play US-only games on.

Of course, the list of defining Playstation 1 games for me is even bigger.

Vbrasa

Very weak, and clearly crafted for someone that is not me.

The only appealing games on that list to me are Metal Gear Solid, Persona 1, and Rayman.

GTA 1 wasn't very fun, the rest of the list are games I've never really heard of.

Final Fantasy 7 is on literally every other platform, so it's a waste of a slot (yes, I understand it's a playstation staple, but Final Fantasy 8 and 9 exist on the platform as well)

No Tomb Raider, Medieval, Crash, Spyro, Symphony of the Night, Rugrats, Megaman 8, Legends, or X games, ANY of the many good Disney games, Legend of the Dragoon, it's almost like Sony wasn't even thinking for the Players. Come on, man, Sony, catch it up. SNES Classic blows this out of the water.

Just buy a PSTV and make your own Playstation Classic, not this waste of a hundred dollars.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Just buy a PSTV and make your own Playstation Classic, not this waste of a hundred dollars.
That would have been a good suggestion months ago but now not so much. I'll leave it up to you to figure out why.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Are these games in their original resolution and frame rate? As much as i’d like to relive my golden age of gaming, I cannot do it with those visuals.

Ivellios

Good list, this remind me that i never played Wild Arms, and i remember everyone saying it was a very good game.

Vbrasa

That would have been a good suggestion months ago but now not so much. I'll leave it up to you to figure out why.

I'm assuming it's because they were discontinued? I did see them in stores for the longest time, but obviously because they weren't selling, and after checking Amazon... yeah they're gone for good. I guess my suggestion was pretty halfassed, since the Vita and the TV aren't sold anymore.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming it's because they were discontinued? I did see them in stores for the longest time, but obviously because they weren't selling, and after checking Amazon... yeah they're gone for good. I guess my suggestion was pretty halfassed, since the Vita and the TV aren't sold anymore.
It's the hacks. It boosted up the prices by a lot.

Odinnii

List is garbage. Either games that had better much better sequels on the same damn console, games that have been remade or games no one cares about .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If there's another PS Classic, Colony Wars 2 is a must. Fantastic game. I'm surprised this series never lived on.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Line-up seems OK, more better than I anticipated it to be. Still not sure if I buy it at launch, but if this is limited in supply, I just might bite. Considering it has some games Europe never got back then, it would be an interesting experience.

This is one of the very reasons why I'm glad to still have my slim PS2: I can play any PS1 & PS2 game that I want, including licensed games.

Last edited:
For the authentic Euro experience, it should only work upside down, and the first game people hack onto it should be Thrill Kill
This!
Mine has gone through several stages of rotation before the inevitable breakdown, so i always had a varying stack of books lying next to it, for getting the right angle. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The list gets more and more shitty, the longer you look at it. I think all the important omissions were named here.

But man, Battle Arena Toshinden... my first PS1 Game, because 12 years old idiot me thought it looked better than Tekken 2, the latter one was soooo blocky :messenger_poop:

This would be my list IMO, without licensing, etc.

Alundra
Ape Escape
Armored Core
Einhander
Final Fantasy VII: International
Intelligent Qube
Legend of Dragoon
Mega Man Legends (or Mega Man X4)
Metal Gear Solid
Parasite Eve
Rayman 2
Resident Evil 2
Ridge Racer Type 4
SaGa Frontier
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Suikoden 2
Soul Blade
Tekken 3
Tomb Raider II
Twisted Metal 2

This is the kind of list of which most people will be interested in, Sony. You failed, big time.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
On reflection I cancelled my pre-order until I know it can be hacked. Considering the library available its a shoddy miniscule lineup.

Am i the only one here who is gonna play through all of these games?

(Except persona 1)
Same except wild arms, sony already gave that away a few years ago for ps3 and vita
I tried twice, but hated persona 2's school. cant imagine playing 1 far

I don't mind the list, psx had 100+ quality games. Cant except every sleeper like legacy of kain

Last edited:

Rodolink

They should've at least added a Crash Bandicoot, I'm kind of disappointed with the list, I want to cancel it but the collector in me refuses.

odhin

The list would never be consensual, thats a fact. You can not shrink a great library of games to 20 items only.

I would also like to have Parasite Eve, Tomb Raider (2 or 3), Crash Bandicoot 3, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, etc ...

But, Syphon Filter was a good surprise for me, I remeber playing the sh*t out of that Demo I had when I was kid, and for whatever reason, never got to play the full game, so Yay I guess.

Ozrimandias

It's the hacks. It boosted up the prices by a lot.

Yup, the price of this article raised up very quickly and aggresive because of the Homebrew. I have one with Retroarch and playlists and thumbnails of Snes, Nes, GBA and Genesis roms....that buried my needs of a classic console.

I hope the RE Directors Cut isn't the Duel Shock version..Also I'm really surprised Silent Hill isn't on here, I find that really weird.

Last edited:
This would be my list IMO, without licensing, etc.

Alundra
Ape Escape
Armored Core
Einhander
Final Fantasy VII: International
Intelligent Qube
Legend of Dragoon
Mega Man Legends (or Mega Man X4)
Metal Gear Solid
Parasite Eve
Rayman 2
Resident Evil 2
Ridge Racer Type 4
SaGa Frontier
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Suikoden 2
Soul Blade
Tekken 3
Tomb Raider II
Twisted Metal 2

This is the kind of list of which most people will be interested in, Sony. You failed, big time.

Sad thing is Armored Core and SaGa Frontier is on the Japan PS One Classic :(

GTA 1 was okay. I would rather have GTA 2 as that is a bit more refined.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

They should've at least added a Crash Bandicoot, I'm kind of disappointed with the list, I want to cancel it but the collector in me refuses.

Well they don't own Crash or Spyro. Makes sense that Activision wants people to buy the remakes instead with their nostalgia. They didn't even get something like Crash Team Racing, which is rumored to be getting a remake too.

Its a pretty decent collection of games a few games feel like they're missing though, like Gran Turismo but anyone who cancels their pre order vs just adding the games themselves later on is missing out. As blatant as a direct rip from the NES Classic and SNES Classic as this is, you just know its only a matter of time before someone figures out who to add more games just like the NES/ SNES classics respectfully. I never modded my mini consoles but I think I will with this.

The listed games work out at around 8GB:

4xlq7poiwdv11.png

Logic dictates they'll use 16GB worth of storage so even if the OS somehow takes up 2GB theres still enough room for additions provided its hackable.

How many of y'all cancelled your preorders after the games list was revealed? I'm quite certain that we'll see a PSOne Mini Classic with analogs and the obvious missing titles next year and that is overall more appealing, especially if its moddable.

To add what I felt missing in SNES Classic (outside of Chrono Trigger and DKC2):

Super Mario All-Stars
Breath of Fire
DKC3
Turtles In Time
Street Racer (the PS1 version felt weird for me once I played it)|
FF2/4
Mortal Kombat 2
Killer Instinct
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Lufia 2
Desert Strike
Clay Fighter
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe or Sensible Soccer
Harvest Moon
Earthworm Jim
Terranigma
Star Ocean (official localization for the first time would've been awesome, though it's obviously not something I think about when SNES comes to mind)
Super Bomberman
Pilotwings

There's also a lot of other games, like a lot of DIsney or other franchise based games that were defining across Genesis/SNES.
I'd easily trade away the Kirby games for any of the games on the list. I guess a certain problem is that some games were released in Europe, other in NA, though to me at the time it was ordinary that you knew some with a NTSC SNES who'd you play US-only games on.

Of course, the list of defining Playstation 1 games for me is even bigger.
Yeah, I would like to have had Turtles (licensing nightmare), and Lufia 2, and Pilotwings should have been included over F-Zero (well actually DKC2 should, but Pilotwings would have been the next choice since it's aged the least worst of the 2 and Nintendo probably could only include 1 Rare game for obvious reasons), and them including the SMW/All-Stars pack would have been great compared to just SMW, but I can see why remakes wouldn't be considered. I could live without Kirby's Dream Course, but they wanted another first party multiplayer game in there for the 2 controllers so it is what it is. Also Demon's Crest should have been picked over Super Ghouls n' Ghost to represent that franchise. Still what they did with focusing on there first party stuff and select hits from 3 other companies was a smart move. Don't like using critics for my points, but this gives an idea what I'm talking about versus PS1 classic.

https://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=snes&cat=0&year=0&numrev=4&sort=0&letter=&search=
Wasn't many reviewers back then, but out of the 20 games that got at least 5 reviews back then, 15 are on the SNES Classic with only 2 super major MIA's. We got all Nintendo's top stuff minus Rare's best (I can see why they would go with DKC over 2 if they could only use 1 Rare game, since DKC2 lacks DK), 3 of 4 Square's best, 2 of 3 Capcom's best, and 2 of 3 Konami's best based on that list, and minus DKC2 and Demon's Crest (but Demon's Crest is a spin-off) we got the best game per franchise. So you can see they did there research when making the selection, and tried to get the best games when negotiating with the 3rd party they got to participate. For a collection of 20 games (+ a bonus) that's a pretty defining ratio looking back, you may not get everyone's favorite (Chrono Trigger in my case) but that's about the best you can do in these circumstances, and still not a single bad game included, not even close.

Now let's look compared to the PS1.
https://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=ps&cat=0&year=0&numrev=4&sort=0&letter=&search=
Out of the top 50 (given them that much leeway) that got at least 5 reviews back then......7 is on the classic. With such defining games included as....
https://www.gamerankings.com/ps/198401-tom-clancys-rainbow-six/index.html

Last edited:

Rodolink

Well they don't own Crash or Spyro. Makes sense that Activision wants people to buy the remakes instead with their nostalgia. They didn't even get something like Crash Team Racing, which is rumored to be getting a remake too.

And they own all the others?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I was curious about this Playstation Classic when it was announced, but now that the "final" software lineup has been revealed, my interest has evaporated. I was willing to indulge Nintendo with their NES and SNES mini-consoles, but this trend of pre-packaged videogame systems is getting old. With such a large software library available, disappointments are inevitable when you only pick 20 titles.

Obviously, the omission of Castlevania, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Crash, Spyro, Ape Escape, Gran Tourismo or Wipeout is painful and unnecessary. And no sports games at all? Really? Nothing? Licensing is a major hurdle (translation: writing somebody a check), as is the fear of cannibalizing other digital platforms like PSN.

Once again, I will propose that a much wiser decision would be to release a "virtual console" system that allows you to download games online. This PSX Classic should also be a PSN console. Make that change and sell the system for $99 tops and you'll have a hit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Once again, I will propose that a much wiser decision would be to release a "virtual console" system that allows you to download games online. This PSX Classic should also be a PSN console. Make that change and sell the system for $99 tops and you'll have a hit.

Or just let people run PSOne Classics on the PS4. Sell a starter pack of 20 mostly ho-hum games like this for $100 and call it a day.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
How does PSX emulation work with games with multiple discs?

It works the same as with any retail disc. You simply pop in the next disc or select the next digital file. Remember, videogames are nothing more than computer programs. Zeros and Ones.
You’re right that licensing is not the consumer’s problem, but licensing costs are a real thing that exists and add to the cost. If Sony was to pay for said licensing, you’d be adding money to the MSRP and nobody is paying $150 for a PlayStation Classic to accommodate additional licensing costs and that’s assuming that the license holders decided to agree. Sony isn’t going to sell this thing at a loss, either.

Sony isn’t entitled to these licenses again after 20+ years. License holders can request more money or different terms. They can also decide that they don’t wish to grant licenses for a toy like this, where the revenue per unit is far less than it was when the games were published and sold separately.

This licensing problem affected the first two Nintendo mini consoles, the Commodore 64 mini console, and it will definitely affect the N64 mini console if that ever becomes a thing. People will continue to complain, but there’s no practical solution... unless these mini consoles stop being a thing.

It's true that licensing is a major problem when it comes to classic videogames. It's really just a question of money, of who is holding out for the big checks and who is writing those checks. By all reasonable measures, this should be easily resolved, but greed and human egos often get in the way. Multiple rights holders only multiply the complications.

That said, Sony has $50 billion in the bank. They can do what they did with the original Playstation and just write out the big checks. That's how they won the 5th Gen war in the first place. This is another reason why a digital download service with a fixed monthly rate (the Netflix model) would be far more successful than a one-time console that only plays a set number of videogames. There's little point in investing in a product that's expected to last for one Holiday season. A PSN console? Now there's a better return on the investment.

Top Bottom