• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Classic’s Full Lineup of 20 Games Revealed

While most of the games on the list aren't bad, as a whole it is certainly an uninspiring selection.

A difference between the nes/snes classic and this, at least in Japan, is that the original discs of the vast majority of those games are 100 yen tier games in any book off or non akihabara used game shop in the land that can be played on any PS device upto PS3.

Also, most of the stuff I can think of that's missing either involve licenses or are games that someone either already has or will soon want to remake for a modern device and won't want this cutting into sales of.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Where NES and SNES has really great classics, this ps1 classic seems to be pulled straight up from the mediocre bin with exceptions of a few games. Would be cheaper to buy the originals and a ps1 used instead

Fnord

Very odd these games aren't there, GT & Wipeout are first party so I don't see why not. No Spyro or Crash too, those are some pretty important PSX games. it's a shame SH isn't there but they can't have everything. TW2 & RE2 would have been better choices considering their popularity even though I prefer RE1.

Despite them being first party, there are likely still licensing issues (music & cars for GT and music for Wipeout). I'm not surprised they're not there.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Far more eclectic than I expected. Stuff like Intelligent Qube, Jumping Flash, Persona, and Puzzle Fighter is neat.

Yeah... This is gonna need some hacks.
Just look at what the Japanese version has.

Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad 2
Armored Core
Ridge Racer Type 4
Intelligent Qube
Gradius Gaiden
XI [sái]
SaGa Frontier
G Darius
Jumping Flash
Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
Tekken 3
Toshinden
Biohazard (RE1) Director's Cut
Parasite Eve
Final Fantasy VII International
Mr. Driller
Persona 1
Metal Gear Solid
Wild Arms

Until someone finds a way to put Mega Man X 4 and Symphony of the Night on it then forget it.
This list is so much better on the merit of Gradius Gaiden and G Darius. Einhander would've been another cool pick.

There are some REALLY odd choices here. Destruction Derby 2 and Twisted Metal 2 are both vastly better than the first game - are they saving the sequels for the PS Classic 2? That's the only reason I can think of that they did this.
Secondly, the Directors Cut of Resident Evil has the worst music ever in a videogame. It should be erased from existence. Again, the omission of RE2 makes me think they have a second PS Classic in the cards.

Aside from those three, it's a pretty solid list.. but there are a lot of glaring omissions. Silent Hill, WipEout, Tomb Raider, Tomba, etc.

Zog

Banned
I wish people would stop making excuses for Sony. Licensing issues are Sony's problem, not the consumers problem and if Sony can't offer up a good selection of games then they shouldn't be releasing this product or atleast they should expect to be called out for the poor game selection.

Geki-D

Banned

That's pretty much it. The Playstation had over 2000 games and so many of them were so damn good that "Playstation" means so many things to so many people. That said there are some games that just defined the console more than others, Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, RE2, Twisted Metal 2... I'll concede Fnord Fnord point for Wipeout & GT:
Despite them being first party, there are likely still licensing issues (music & cars for GT and music for Wipeout). I'm not surprised they're not there.
But for those others, it's a crying shame.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I wish people would stop making excuses for Sony. Licensing issues are Sony's problem, not the consumers problem and if Sony can't offer up a good selection of games then they shouldn't be releasing this product or atleast they should expect to be called out for the poor game selection.
waaaaah

I like it

Geki-D

Banned
I wish people would stop making excuses for Sony. Licensing issues are Sony's problem, not the consumers problem and if Sony can't offer up a good selection of games then they shouldn't be releasing this product or at least they should expect to be called out for the poor game selection.
Sony can only do what's possible. I say it's a crying shame, but I think Sony have still selected a fine list with some good alternatives. In terms of Crash & Spyro, seeing as they couldn't get those characters for PSBR I'm not surprised Activision refused for this and no doubt them getting RE1 rather than RE2 tells me maybe Capcom refused due to the remake coming out. Saying they either got these few games they couldn't or that they either got these games I wanted or they may as well not release the mini console is a load of bollocks.

Last edited:

KellyM

I would have bought the Playstation classic if it had the same games as the Japanese version. They are better games as a whole but I will pass. To many Japanese made games that made the Playstation 1 great missing. Pass.

Twisted Metal 1 and not 2? The fuck Sony? This list is pretty whack. I get that Persona is popular now, but it's not a Playstation classic. No Tomb Raider, no SOTN, no Klonoa, no Jet Moto... not really feeling this.

Geki-D

Banned
N64 Classic is gonna have a crappy list.
The N64 is one of the consoles to have the least amount of games released on it. People will go apeshit for OOT, Mario64 & Banjo Kazooie and a few more but if they're aiming for 20 too then yeah, they're gonna have a lot of crap.

So what licensing issues? The cars?
It's a theory, but yeah cars & music.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
List is just ok, though most of the games they should have went with thier far superior sequels on the same system.

Ie Nobody is going to try toshinden for more then 5 minutes when #2 or #3 were leagues better. Same with jumping flash and twisted metal to name a few.

Last edited:
Decent list of games with great variety in genres.
It's odd that it doesn't feature more first party games like Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Ape Escape, Arc the Lad, Legend of Dragoon etc. Also some really popular third party games missing like Tomb Raider, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Street Fighter, Chrono Cross and many more. But I guess only 20 is already a small number if you try to pick from the vast library of Ps1...
It's also odd that with the exception of Cool boarders 2 all games they chose are the first in a franchise while in many cases the sequels were better and more refined.
Also I would have liked more "rare" games meaning not being everywhere available especially on PSN as PsOne classics as many fans have probably purchased them there.
I don't know how the missing analogue sticks from the controllers may have affected the choice of games...

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Pretty disappointing. A few of those games have better sequels. I would have preferred Twisted Metal 2 over the original game, for example. I was sure they would include Tomb Raider also, but it is missing. I’ll still keep my preorder just incase it is hackable.

KellyM

The N64 is one of the consoles to have the least amount of games released on it. People will go apeshit for OOT, Mario64 & Banjo Kazooie and a few more but if they're aiming for 20 too then yeah, they're gonna have a lot of crap.

I would think not, just the 20 or more games they released on the Wii virtual console was good, While I never owned the N64 I did play some of the games through rental and a friend. I would love to own games like wave race 64, which hold up to this day, It would be curious if Nintendo would try to get the Ridge Racer 64 or Mega man 64 or the Castlevania game on the system. One advantage that Nintendo had, they have less games to choose from so most the games they do put own it will be the good ones.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Overall a pretty disappointing list but 3 RPGs I would actually play is kinda alright. I'm basically buying this for the USB controllers and keeping my fingers crossed that it gets hacked some time in the future.

KiteGr

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms
The ones in bold are the ones I already own. For Persona I actually have the superior PSP edition.

The list has plenty of variety, but there is little to nothing there that would convince me to give 100 euros.
Also there are no games that where missing in action in Europe... I was mostly hoping for Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Elemental Thunderbolt among others.

I'm currently more interested in VR Emulation than this...

Last edited:

KellyM

Overall a pretty disappointing list but 3 RPGs I would actually play is kinda alright. I'm basically buying this for the USB controllers and keeping my fingers crossed that it gets hacked some time in the future.
It would been great to have the Japanese release list one with 5 Rpgs. Wild Arms, Final Fantasy 7, Persona, Saga Frontier and Parasite Eve. I remember Parasite Eve being a big thing. Plus the Japanese version has Arc the lad 1 and 2. :(

Petrae

I can’t help but to be somewhat disappointed with this list. Granted, I’m just getting this for collection purposes and probably won’t ever be opening it, but...

— Twisted Metal and not the superior Twisted Metal 2? Hmmm.
— Mr. Driller is unnecessary with the inclusion of Super Puzzle Fighter.
— Rainbow Six for the original PlayStation is nothing like the popular Rainbow Six games of today.

I do understand some notable omissions.

Symphony of the Night was just re-released on the PS4.
Music and other licensing issues affect the potential re-release of many games (THPS, Gran Turismo, WipEout games come to mind)
Sony doesn’t own the rights to Spyro and Crash anymore, and Activision gains nothing by licensing these to the PS Classic. They’d rather steer consumers to the modern versions.

At least there’s Intelligent Qube, which is rather pricey in the wild. And Jumping Flash! is a great addition.

It’s not the WORST classic mini console, but it’s not really what it could‘ve been.

clem84

Gold Member
Was not planning on getting this at all but after seeing that list of games, I don't know. I just might. That's a fine list.

Top Bottom