• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Jim Ryan says removing Cyberpunk 2077 ‘was a tough decision, but we had to act’

hemo memo

Gold Member
I find it odd how consoles don't have a proper refund system like Steam does and people are absolutely fine with it, to the point that they defend it from having such a consumer friendly feature in place.
People will defend their favorite company to the point of fucking themselves. That’s IQ in minus.

Kilau

Didn’t the game pass Sony cert to be on the system?

We are constantly told about how platform holders rigorously test new games and patches and charge high fees for this process.

Of course that’s all bullshit, probably just test to make sure it doesn’t open the system to an exploit for hacking and send buggy crashing messes on through.

Seriously can’t stand this guy.

assurdum

Banned
Thank you Jim, for taking care of the brainless morons among your fans who are unable to make a decision whether to purchase something on their own, as well as ensuring none of your employees have to go through the trouble of implementing reasonable 21st century refund system. So considerate of you.
Thank you Jim to be a rich man when most of the people in the world have trouble to find a job for the pandemic and you do nothing to help them with your money. Basically the same logic.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

We are constantly told about how platform holders rigorously test new games and patches and charge high fees for this process.

Of course that’s all bullshit, probably just test to make sure it doesn’t open the system to an exploit for hacking and send buggy crashing messes on through.

Well CDPR promised to the investors they would have fix the console version at launch with patches. But sure it's always Ryan the fault 🤷‍♂️ Doubt there is any precedent like this.

Last edited:

Kilau

Well CDPR promised to the investors they would have fix the console version at launch with patches. But sure it's always Ryan the fault 🤷‍♂️ Doubt there is any precedent like this.
“Ship and fix later” isn’t acceptable for CDPR, Sony or anyone else.

Sony allowed a broken game on their system and only reacted when it was costing them money.

This line of protecting the customers is utter bullshit.

tusharngf

they never removed any game before ! . Anthem and mass effect 4 were broken when they launched but they did not delist them at all. i call it bullshit on part of removing the biggest game of 2020. This is just double standards. Steam and xbox store kept the game and refunded copies as well those who did not liked it. Sony went overboard with the decision.

Speaking to Axios in a newly published interview, the president and CEO said that PlayStation felt it could not sell a game that could “result in a bad experience” for players.

“This was a tough decision for us to make, but ultimately, we had to act in the interests of the PlayStation Community, and not knowingly sell a game that might result in a bad experience for them,” Ryan said.

Ryan offered no details about what it will take for the game to return.
My God. Is there a moment when this guy doesn't lie?

Wtf? This must be the first time when such a compulsive liar is at the helm of Sony. I can't even believe he made it all the way to the top. Everytime he speaks he tells another lie. What a disgusting human being.

No wonder Sean left after 20+ years, imagine working with a sociopathic liar.

Last edited:
Yo
The PS community decided why one was removed and the other not.
We PS fans worked with our wallets and asked refunds.
The numbers of refunds asks was basically universal... so the best for the community was the game being removed and Sony listened.

That is an amazing feat because it set precedent for others games... if most community find it is not in the PS quality level it should be removed and the Publisher/Developer should learn we won't accept that anymore.
Lol what? You think this is the first game people ask for refunds?

The only difference here is that the studio openly said they would refund every purchase. The next time there's a broken game, Sony won't remove it unless the studio does the same thing CDPR did.

tommib

My God. Is there a moment when this guy doesn't lie?

Wtf? This must be the first time when such a compulsive liar is at the helm of Sony. I can't even believe he made it all the way to the top. Everytime he speaks he tells another lie. What a disgusting human being.

No wonder Sean left after 20+ years, imagine working with a sociopathic liar.

raw

Kenpachii

Already happened… that is why they started to allow refunds there.

Oh didn't know about that, was wondering actually about it. Because if it wasn't. I could be they banned there asses before EU court got triggered and notice them.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Oh didn't know about that, was wondering actually about it. Because if it wasn't. I could be they banned there asses before EU court got triggered and notice them.
Yeap.

People calls Sony refund policy bad not because it doesn’t allow refund anymore but because you have to ask refund via chat and there is no option to do that automatically like Steam.

In any case for EU regulators doesn’t matter how the refund system works… it should just allow refund no matter if via chat with support.

In Australia the issue was because Sony was not clear in the refund policy text on PlayStation website and so it gives the impression the consumer not having right for refund… but in fact if you enter the chat and talk with the support they will explain and fulfill the refund if you have meet the requirements (you can refund a game you played over a hour for example).

So while they have a way to refund EU regulators won’t bother unless there is some text change in the policy that is misleading the consumer.

BTW the refund policy talk has nothing to do with the Sony decision being the correct one for consumers.

People can give a lot of reasons for Sony had done that but the end results is the right one… and the only one yo blame is CDPR trying to misleading millions of fans to buy their unplayable game.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Cert is not the same as QA.

Cert is about passing TRC's so as a program does no damage to the system overall and abides by the platform holders requirements regarding interface standards, data handling etc.
Short of basic "soak" testing (i.e. leave the game idling on the front end for 24hrs to see if it crashes, trashes memory or the HD) actual QA is on the publisher.

Learn the difference.

And no, he was right to pull the game. Seriously why should Sony have to waste resoureces cleaning up after CDPR's mess? Especially after they publicly admitted to it being in such a poor state they EXPECT returns?

Last edited:

Kagero

Played it on the PS5 and loved it despite CDPR gimping it on Sony’s machine because of the Microsoft partnership. Karma I guess. I still wish the best for them.

Kilau

Cert is not the same as QA.

Cert is about passing TRC's so as a program does no damage to the system overall and abides by the platform holders requirements regarding interface standards, data handling etc.
Short of basic "soak" testing (i.e. leave the game idling on the front end for 24hrs to see if it crashes, trashes memory or the HD) actual QA is on the publisher.

Learn the difference.

And no, he was right to pull the game. Seriously why should Sony have to waste resoureces cleaning up after CDPR's mess? Especially after they publicly admitted to it being in such a poor state they EXPECT returns?
Your definition of cert is basically what I described. I said they let buggy crashing messes through after checking for system level issues(exploits, et al) but whatever. They were fine with the condition it was in and they only cared about their dear customer’s experience when it hit their bottom line.

Of course I hold CDPR responsible for the mess, I'm just not buying jimbo's concern for the reasoning to pull the game.

assurdum

Banned
Removing CP2077 from PSN has nothing to do with the game performance. CDPR exposed Sony stupid non-existent refund policy.
Sony couldn't give a fuck about tech issue and keep the game on PSN without give refund 🤷‍♂️ Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned

Speaking to Axios in a newly published interview, the president and CEO said that PlayStation felt it could not sell a game that could “result in a bad experience” for players.

“This was a tough decision for us to make, but ultimately, we had to act in the interests of the PlayStation Community, and not knowingly sell a game that might result in a bad experience for them,” Ryan said.

Ryan offered no details about what it will take for the game to return.

Jeah good enough. Now put it back in store. They already fixed a lot of stuff. I want to buy it later again

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
“Ship and fix later” isn’t acceptable for CDPR, Sony or anyone else.

Sony allowed a broken game on their system and only reacted when it was costing them money.

This line of protecting the customers is utter bullshit.
And who said otherwise?

xrnzaaas

Are you talking about Steam?
Not exclusively. Shitty games have started leaking from Steam to PS Store about 2 years ago. Obviously it's not as bad as on Steam (hundreds of games released every day), but there are way more trash games being released right now than when the PS4 was launching.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Your definition of cert is basically what I described. I said they let buggy crashing messes through after checking for system level issues(exploits, et al) but whatever. They were fine with the condition it was in and they only cared about their dear customer’s experience when it hit their bottom line.

Of course I hold CDPR responsible for the mess, I'm just not buying jimbo's concern for the reasoning to pull the game.
Frankly I'm not buying any of the "genuine" Spencer talks for the gamers community and find his hero complex quite more annoying than the bad PR stuff of Ryan.

Last edited:

cireza

It was a tough decision but we decided to remove a game that had MS partnership to throw shade at MS. All other shit games will be accepted on PS *.

* As long as they don't have any partnership with MS

Probably not as tough a decision as they want us to believe.

Kilau

Frankly I'm not buying any of the "genuine" Spencer talks for the gamers community and find his heroes complex quite more annoying.
No argument there. Spencer has always been annoyingly smug to me and that was before he was running around spending “daddy’s” money and acting like he had accomplished something amazing.

THEAP99

Banned
He clearly did and felt burned. When the hype disappoints.

Glad you’re not in charge.
Look, I agree what Jim is saying is basically PR talk. He should keep that same energy for other broken games like the ones y'all mentioned. But you should understand, that the amount of refund requests for Cyberpunk was clearly a high enough volume for them to act on it. Whereas those games you mentioned, are not on the same hype and scale as Cyberpunk, which is probably why refund requests were low and why it wasn't removed from the store.

MilkLizard

Oh come on now. Nobody believes that crap. What a fucking joke, better keep your mouth shut instead of talking bullshit like this. JFC

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Cert is very specific set of tests. Its a generic checklist that all titles must pass with zero wiggle-room. Bugs, obviously aren't always so black and white, and in a big complex game like Cyberpunk there's an understanding that they are inevitable. Its just an impossibility to cover every corner-case and weirdness that crops up as result of a certain sequence of events. So it has to be an honour system type of deal.

When you QA a game you triage your fixes from top down in terms of severity. Crash bugs at the top, visual imperfections and odd but harmless behaviours at the bottom. I mean this is why games rarely perfectly hold framerate. Its not that people don't care, its just something you only look at/fix after you've cleared all the stuff that has a real impact on how the game plays.

Dropping frames will never result in a cert fail, whereas a character getting stuck on a bit of collision or falling through the floor during an attract loop could be the first domino falling in a sequence that leads to a hard crash.

As to the rest of your post. How is not selling a game better for their bottom-line than eating less than a 100% refund rate?

See the mistake your making is assuming Ryan and other members of senior management knew precisely how bad it was, when if you think about it, they'd have no way of knowing without doing all CDPR's QA for them. Which as I've already explained, they wouldn't and couldn't have.

So when the boss of the company supplying the product publicly states, "yeah we know its in rough shape, if you don't like it ask for a refund". What are they supposed to think? Its a hell of an admission of a product supplier to make!

Being honest, if I was running a store and one of my suppliers said that, I wouldn't want to sell their shit either!

ZywyPL

Banned
Frankly I'm not buying any of the "genuine" Spencer talks for the gamers community and find his hero complex quite more annoying than the bad PR stuff of Ryan.

And what does Spencer have anything to do with CDPR, CP2077, Ryan, and Sony's refunds? Stick with the tipic.

Kilau

Cert is very specific set of tests. Its a generic checklist that all titles must pass with zero wiggle-room. Bugs, obviously aren't always so black and white, and in a big complex game like Cyberpunk there's an understanding that they are inevitable. Its just an impossibility to cover every corner-case and weirdness that crops up as result of a certain sequence of events. So it has to be an honour system type of deal.

When you QA a game you triage your fixes from top down in terms of severity. Crash bugs at the top, visual imperfections and odd but harmless behaviours at the bottom. I mean this is why games rarely perfectly hold framerate. Its not that people don't care, its just something you only look at/fix after you've cleared all the stuff that has a real impact on how the game plays.

Dropping frames will never result in a cert fail, whereas a character getting stuck on a bit of collision or falling through the floor during an attract loop could be the first domino falling in a sequence that leads to a hard crash.

As to the rest of your post. How is not selling a game better for their bottom-line than eating less than a 100% refund rate?

See the mistake your making is assuming Ryan and other members of senior management knew precisely how bad it was, when if you think about it, they'd have no way of knowing without doing all CDPR's QA for them. Which as I've already explained, they wouldn't and couldn't have.

So when the boss of the company supplying the product publicly states, "yeah we know its in rough shape, if you don't like it ask for a refund". What are they supposed to think? Its a hell of an admission of a product supplier to make!

Being honest, if I was running a store and one of my suppliers said that, I wouldn't want to sell their shit either!
I don’t assume Jim personally or any Sony senior management was aware of exactly how bad of a state the game was in but probably did know it was coming in hot since that seemed to be out there.

As for the reasoning behind pulling it from the store, again that’s fine if that’s why but he isn’t saying that’s the reason.

Top Bottom