• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mula

I was today in a Media Markt in germany and It was like Sony is the only one with 4kHDR tv's, the logo was everywhere. They pushing this really hard.
The cheapest was 1500 euro i think.

gamz

Not all couples have joint bank accounts or share money, so he has a point.

My own familiar experiences taught me that sharing the money all the time is not that good an idea

That's true. That usually happens when both have their own jobs and what not. In both of my marriages we've always have had one account, but I can see otherwise. For me it makes things more complex with bills and whatnot but whatever works for people.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
A little off topic and no offense guys but LOL at "my wife gave me approval to buy a video game console."

I hope that you're never in a situation where money is an issue and you have a marriage and or family. You aren't ready to deal with it.

Edit: sorry, you said no offense. I meant none either.

DOWN

Banned
How likely is it that this thing will sell out super fast? And have a release day of "Now!" Or more likely "October 1st" or whatever? I am nervous about managing the trade up from standard PS4 as I've never actually traded in a game console before

Curufinwe

A little off topic and no offense guys but LOL at "my wife gave me approval to buy a video game console."

$400+ is a lot of money for a lot of people.

When I got a PS3 Slim seven years ago it was a controversial marital topic because I was unemployed at the time, but I just couldn't wait any longer to play Wipeout HD.

GreekWolf

I hope that you're never in a situation where money is an issue and you have a marriage and or family. You aren't ready to deal with it.

Edit: sorry, you said no offense. I meant none either.

I think everyone's situation is different. If a married couple makes a lot of money, they probably aren't going to consult each other over every purchase. If you're living paycheck to paycheck then, yeah, even purchasing a game console can take away from groceries, utility bill and living expenses.

Sony expects to sell 20 million PS4s this FY and they already sold 3.5M.

16.5M PS4s from July 2016 - March 2017. I think $249 and $399 (if underpowered) - $499 (if Scorpio+ power) should suffice. I am not sure they could keep up with demand for a $199 PS4 for the whole year, but for BF and Xmas is something I can see them doing.

vin-buc

You're laughing at people who discuss large purchases with their spouses?

Not married, I take it?

I'm married with 5 kids. I'm not LOL'ing in a condescending way and do apologize if I came out like that. It's cute kinda. And yes - even though I'm the sole bread winner I do tell my wife that I intend to buy the slim or Neo (but not if it's over $399).

I'm married with 5 kids. I'm not LOL'ing in a condescending way and do apologize if I came out like that. It's cute kinda. And yes - even though I'm the sole bread winner I do tell my wife that I intend to buy the slim or Neo (but not if it's over $399).

Yeah well I haven't broke it to my wife I'll be upgrading to a Neo and I've already pre ordered PSVR without her knowledge.... so wish me luck :)

Luckily she is pretty clueless about the value of technology - I just upgraded my TV to LG 4k HDR OLED in anticipation of Neo :)

How many people are hoping the Neo looks very similar to the PS4 OG so they can sneak swap it and hope their partner doesn't notice? I've been hoarding $10 a week cash and hope I get enough before hand to stealth swap it.

Venom Fox

Banned
Sony expects to sell 20 million PS4s this FY and they already sold 3.5M.

16.5M PS4s from July 2016 - March 2017. I think $249 and $399 (if underpowered) - $499 (if Scorpio+ power) should suffice. I am not sure they could keep up with demand for a $199 PS4 for the whole year, but for BF and Xmas is something I can see them doing.
$249 with a drop to $199 for black friday/Christmas alone would probably move the units. Throw in a couple of million Neo from November until March and I think it's possible.

PS4 is still selling shed loads at $350 so imagine a $199 console this Christmas?

CyberChulo

Yeah well I haven't broke it to my wife I'll be upgrading to a Neo and I've already pre ordered PSVR without her knowledge.... so wish me luck :)

Luckily she is pretty clueless about the value of technology - I just upgraded my TV to LG 4k HDR OLED in anticipation of Neo :)

Dam, you guys have it rough with your wives. Luckily for me my wife is into games and tech as much as I am. My $2000 75" Sammy had a green line appear vertically back in Jan this year. Went to Best Buy looking at a $2100 75" Sony replacement. While in the Magnolia section, this other Sony 75" started calling me with is brightness and deep saturated colors. It was the 75 940C with it's massive speakers on the side. Retail price was $6000. Never bought a TV that expensive before. We talked about it right there on the show floor and decided to pick one up. Till death do us part!

mejin

There is still demand worldwide even without the second oficial price cut.

If Sony goes aggressive with $249 this would generate a new boom in the market. And you guys are dreaming with $199. They wouldn't be able to hold all DAT demand. :3

Anyway, I can't understand why you guys think this is the year to be so aggressive since they wouldn't have any card for the next 3 years till a new playstation. At least, price wise.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I think everyone's situation is different. If a married couple makes a lot of money, they probably aren't going to consult each other over every purchase. If you're living paycheck to paycheck then, yeah, even purchasing a game console can take away from groceries, utility bill and living expenses.

Right. I definitely have to consult with my wife on larger purchases. I certainly can identify with not needing to from when I was single. If money isn't an issue, then yeah, that's ideal. Most of us don't have an ideal situation. Shoving that in people's faces was just wrong IMO, even with a no offense disclaimer.

Sorry if I went off there.

sense

There is still demand worldwide even without the second oficial price cut.

If Sony goes aggressive with $249 this would generate a new boom in the market. And you guys are dreaming with $199. They wouldn't be able to hold all DAT demand. :3

Anyway, I can't understand why you guys think this is the year to be so aggressive since they wouldn't have any card for the next 3 years till a new playstation. At least, price wise.

i think they will save the 199 price for next year or later. 249 bundle with one game and maybe for blackfriday,they will throw in a couple of extra games in there. i am expecting black friday 249 bundle to include last of us, god of war, bloodborne or until dawn as they have all been 15$ or less at one point or another

Dam, you guys have it rough with your wives. Luckily for me my wife is into games and tech as much as I am. My $2000 75" Sammy had a green line appear vertically back in Jan this year. Went to Best Buy looking at a $2100 75" Sony replacement. While in the Magnolia section, this other Sony 75" started calling me with is brightness and deep saturated colors. It was the 75 940C with it's massive speakers on the side. Retail price was $6000. Never bought a TV that expensive before. We talked about it right there on the show floor and decided to pick one up. Till death do us part!

We get it. You have lots and lots of money.

Venom Fox

Banned
Why can't people accept that in married life you share everything? You talk about purchases that are expensive because that money might be better spent on other things.

Kyoufu

Should have bought an OLED instead.

You fucked up.

A $8000 audio set up would go great with that.

Volotaire

You fucked up.

Having done a bit of research into TV's, it seems 4K HDR OLED panels are the sets to wait for (are the most impressive). However, there are still some deficiencies in OLED panels relative to LED and their high manufacturing costs (due to average yields). I was quite surprised to find that there are competing HDR technologies for such a niche audience.

Lady Gaia

I was quite surprised to find that there are competing HDR technologies for such a niche audience.

The margins on high-end gear are huge compared to the volume product. When you make 10-100x as much profit on a luxury model the smaller size of the audience is correspondingly magnified in importance. Not to mention the halo effect it has on your brand as a whole.

Lady Gaia

My parents spend their money on whatever they want. My mom certainly doesn't ask for permission and vice versa.

Is it possible that they don't invite you into every conversation? Most healthy couples I know do discuss non-trivial purchases. Depending on your financial situation that might mean just houses, or it might mean cars, or electronics, or even a nice meal. Not everyone's circumstances are the same.

chadskin

PS4 deal. foreshadowing price cut to 249 for all OG ps4's and standard price for the slim? sale ends 9/6 lol

http://slickdeals.net/f/9048051-son...ndle-100-dell-egift-card-349-99-fs?src=sticky

Similar deal in Germany, except it's €100 off every PS4 purchase, so now starting at €249 until August 31.

Cqy6_BdVUAIT48w.jpg

CyberChulo

You fucked up.

There's no doubt that Oled's display is a thing of beauty. But I got out of plasma like issues with image retention and burn ins by not going with Oled. Plus they didn't have a 75" model. Or if they did, I'm sure it would be more than $10G.

Other issues that I had to consider are when watching very bright scenes, yellow/red saturated colors tend to get desaturated and less intense I also believe other users have reported a green tint to many yellow colors and white boards look grey in comparison.

$249 with a drop to $199 for black friday/Christmas alone would probably move the units. Throw in a couple of million Neo from November until March and I think it's possible.

PS4 is still selling shed loads at $350 so imagine a $199 console this Christmas?

Which is why it won't be $200. When something's selling well, you don't slash prices.

icespide

Banned
my wife will always be okay with my purchases. we make plenty of money. even then I still never presume she totally is okay with the purchase and we have an agreement that anything over a certain amount we at least give each other a heads up. even if it's not for her I like it as a way to keep me from over spending

this is also a new situation with the mid-gen upgrade thing so I took the time to explain why I'm buying a new console only 3 years after buying the last one

we're also saving for a house right now so we are scrutinizing big purchases more than usual. I jack up the self deprecating marriage humor angle to it just to try to get some laughs of GAF

I don't know why I'm explaining any of this to you though

I still say $250 for the standalone slim and $300 for one with a bigger harddrive and game. We know that they're shipping standalone units with a 500GB harddrive. I expect that to be the one they use to target the mainstream. And for the BF deal they can just toss in a game or two with the $250 model. Maybe GT Sport and Infinite Warfare.

finalflame

Yah, seriously. Fuck anyone having any say over my money whatsoever who is not me. Even when I get married, I will have my separate flow of cash to spend on whatever I want. I expect my wife will have the same portion of her income. Seems easier.

Anyways, the wait has been killer for the Neo. Just a bit over a week left..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom