• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Move releasing September EU/US October JPN

aristotle

Beer Monkey said:
Actually in that scenario I would indeed keep saving my money until I could buy the 60".

The full 'Move' product is $130 MSRP for a single player. That's a fact.

Except for the part where you ignored the point I made where you don't NEED the subcontroller yet. But whatever.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
Brad at Giant Bomb says to get the navi controller:
I'd ignore Brad on that point, seeing as how he didn't actually one hand a ps3 controller too. It isn't a big deal, if you have a ps3 you can even try it yourself, lol.

I wonder if the same people discounting one-handing a ps3 controller are the same people who complained that they were too light. :lol

Woo-Fu said:
I'd ignore Brad on that point, seeing as how he didn't actually one hand a ps3 controller too. It isn't a big deal, if you have a ps3 you can even try it yourself, lol.

I wonder if the same people discounting one-handing a ps3 controller are the same people who complained that they were too light. :lol

Even if you aren't a believer in ergonomics, the reality is that with core games like shooters we will see titles that use every single input on the navigation controller, and the X and O buttons are on the wrong side of the DS3 to reach if you are holding it with one hand.

cakefoo said:
I think 2 will be the magic number, because then you have both for yourself when you're alone, but enough for multiplayer.

Of course, that's the idea setup to have. 2 wands, one camera, and one subcontroller. You have all your bases covered for when you are playing alone and when some one else comes over they have their own wand.

But that means a $180 investment.

Beer Monkey said:
Sigh. $130 is too high of an entry price for me, especially for one player. Going to have to skip launch and wait for a price drop or extreme deal. I'll definitely get Move at some point, though.

I'll wait for the first buyers to be guinea pigs then I'll buy the hardware used a little down the road.

Loudninja said:
Where are people getting these prices from? :/

Sony?

aristotle said:
You mean wiimote + nunchuck. It's on par price wise. Not to mention you need the motion+ to get the same kind of registered movement. So in reality, to buy the wiimote + nunchuck + motion+ it's 5 bucks more.

You are leaving out the part where a Wiimote and Nunchuck come with every single Wii system so if you buy a Wiimote in the store that is a *second* remote you have.

Slaylock said:

But at $33 for the Camera and $50 for the wand, you should just spend the extra $17 bucks and get the bundle so you get the game with it.

Woo-Fu said:

I too want to see more people on the show floor using it but of course Sony isn't going to have that option there, they are going to give the best case for demos so I'm not sure when we will get real opinions on using a DS3 for Move games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
E3 2010: Why We're (FINALLY) Excited About PlayStation Move

Greg Miller: So, Ryan, I was caught off guard tonight. I never hated the PlayStation Move, but after this evening's event, I'm actually really excited about it -- about SOCOM 4 feeling great with the Move, about Start the Party being fun, and about where the tech could go. Am I crazy? What did you think?

Ryan Clements: Well, you're absolutely crazy, but I'm going to have to agree with you here. When I first tried the PlayStation Move tech out at the Game Developers Conference in March, I was totally unimpressed. The software just wasn't there. But now, the hardware is accurate and some of the games are actually a blast. Start the Party was surprisingly fun, and I actually loved Sports Champions. It's crazy accurate.

Greg Miller: See, that's what I dug about SOCOM 4 -- the accuracy. When I was pressed up against a car for cover, popped out, and was able to use the Move to target a bad guy's foot behind a car, I was sold. It was quick and accurate. I don't know if I could've lined that shot up as easily with a DualShock

Ryan Clements: Do you think this will appeal to people that usually despise motion controls? Would the SOCOM veterans even give it a try or will it only be something that a few people pick up?

Greg Miller: It's tough to say. The Move is something new. It's going to take time to learn it -- to make it feel natural. That's going to turn people off. What got me behind it on the SOCOM front is that you could play it while being sprawled out on the couch. The "motion" part of it is just for aiming; it's just to make it feel like the gun is your hand. There's no pumping your arms to run and no waggling to throw a grenade. It's there to make shooting easy. I like that.

What about Sport Champions? You hate sports, why did that one stand out to you?

Ryan Clements: Good question. I don't care for most traditional, everyday sports like football and hockey, but Sports Champions has a couple things that interest me, like archery and the gladiator duel. Although these were the only two events I played, they were both fantastic. They're perfect examples of how two different Move wands can be used in tandem to enhance the experience. When fighting someone in gladiator duel, your one arm holds a shield and the other holds a club. The shield controls were just incredible. You really had to move your arm realistically to block a strike. That's rad. Archery was even better because, as you said, it's accurate. Drawing your arm back and moving your upper body to line up a shot felt so natural it was almost eerie. Sure, you need to stand up for both of those, but it was worth it.

I think that people just need to use the PlayStation Move in order to "get it," right? I never would have thought I could like it that much until it was in my hands.

Greg Miller: I think playing with it is a big thing, but I think that it helps that the demos were farther along. I mean, how was Sports Champions running for you? I know at GDC some folks complained that there was a bit of lag in the moves.

Ryan Clements: No lag that I could notice
, but I only played the two events. I mean, the character animations aren't going to win any awards, but when it comes to the raw gameplay, that's where I felt satisfied.

Greg Miller: Exactly. Where PlayStation Move is going to win fans is when the players see how cool the true one-for-one control is. Although it's come quite a way since GDC, The Fight: Lights Out still isn't as awesome as it could be. If it had the true one-for-one that Sports Champions has, it would be amazing, but the slower pace kind of sucks some life from it.

Anyway, you get it, and I think Sony does, too. At GDC, Sony showed a lot of brief glimpses at early games, and they looked -- at the time -- a lot like Wii games. That scared a lot of people as some Wii games seem to tack on motion because they can. If Sony's going to integrate Move support in ways that make sense, make games better and still allow me to be a fat-ass gamer, I'm all for it.

However, here's the question, Clements: when we left the demo, we were talking about how much we liked Start the Party, but then you mentioned you didn't know how much you'd play it. Is that a problem?

Ryan Clements: That's only a possible issue for that particular game. That has nothing to do with the Move support. The reason I wouldn't be compelled to go back is because there wasn't a truly rewarding system built in. The SOCOM 4 controls were good, but the game is good on its own because there's a rewarding shooter with the potential for multiple playthroughs built into it.

You need to have a fun, engaging idea that uses (smart) motion controls.

########################

Looks like IGN loves the MOVE controller for games. Reading articles like this makes this a Day 1 buy.

noah111

Still Alive
aristotle said:
Except for the part where you ignored the point I made where you don't NEED the subcontroller yet. But whatever.
You people keep saying that, but many if not most people are not going to be able to play or want to stick with a DS3 for the many Nav required games.

If there's only a game or two, sure, but there are quite a few at this point (just look at Sony's PS Move site). Anyway, from a price standpoint everything is fine except for the bundle and the Nav. Bundle could be $90, and the Nav for $20. Or bundle in a Nav for $50 with a big PS Move only games (sorcery), basically getting it for 10 bucks rather than 30, also motivation to buy the game.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
Even if you aren't a believer in ergonomics, the reality is that with core games like shooters we will see titles that use every single input on the navigation controller, and the X and O buttons are on the wrong side of the DS3 to reach if you are holding it with one hand.

Umm... You do know that there are X and O buttons on the PS Move controller, right?

Sentry said:
You people keep saying that, but many if not most people are not going to be able to play or want to stick with a DS3 for the many Nav required games.

Thank you for speaking for everyone.

DMeisterJ said:
Umm... You do know that there are X and O buttons on the PS Move controller, right?

Hmm, so what's the point of putting them on the nav. I wonder if they have to be locked to the same functions. For core games I'd like to see all buttons uniquely addressable.

Bottom line is Move is expensive. The full setup to cover all possible single-player game types with proper ergonomics is actually $180 (bundle + nav + additional Move), and without proper ergonomics $150 (bundle + additional Move). Throw in another $20 for the gun housing that will be essential for a proper 'gun game' experience for titles like Time Crisis.

I think Move looks awesome, and I'm definitely getting it at some point. But I have no idea why some people have to pretend that it isn't a pricy setup.

noah111

Still Alive
DMeisterJ said:
Common sense bro. You're telling me the majority of the mainstream public won't have a problem playing several of their Nav required Move games using a DS3? Really? That's absurd.`

aristotle

Sentry said:
Common sense bro. You're telling me the majority of the mainstream public won't have a problem playing several of their Nav required Move games using a DS3? Really? That's absurd.

Beer Monkey said:
Bottom line is Move is expensive. The full setup to cover all possible single-player game types with proper ergonomics is actually $180 (bundle + nav + additional Move), and without proper ergonomics $150 (bundle + additional Move). Throw in another $20 for the gun housing that will be essential for a proper 'gun game' experience for titles like Time Crisis.

You two keep forgetting/dismissing the point where they have put on record that there are multiple configs for each game. If you only have the wand, you're covered; if you only have the wand+ds3, you're covered; if you have a wand+subcontroller, you're covered. Why is it so hard to grasp that you CAN control these games with only the wand. They've actually said it's possible. You don't have to buy every single piece for every game to work. hell the boxing game will work without two of the wands. Just because they demo it one way, doesn't mean it's the only way. Read the press releases, watch the shows/conferences and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Just because you feel the need to buy everything at once, doesn't mean that you have to do it that way.

Do you really believe they won't have pack-ins (which are always cheaper) with games that require it or it's optional? The Sony BT HQ mic came with Socom, The BT headset came with Warhawk, the Eye camera came with Eyepet, the camera came with eye of judgment. You're being completely illogical about this pricing situation. The cost of entry is much cheaper than you two keep "complaining" about. Think about it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Time's tech editor Peter Ha seemed to be very impressed with Move as well. I won't post his exact comment as it's rather inflammatory but he seems sold on it, to say the least.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lord Error said:
Time's tech editor Peter Ha seemed to be very impressed with Move as well. I won't post his exact comment as it's rather inflammatory but he seems sold on it, to say the least.

Link?

Hypereides

Gold Member
Beer Monkey said:
I just want to say that Namco really needs to release a Point Blank collection via PSN. That will speed up my purchase. :)

THAT and Sega needs to release a House of the Dead & Virtua Cop collections :D

PJV3

Count me in for this, i love FPS's but i'm shit at them online, so hoping i may be able to compete using Move.

distrbnce

Banned
These are the games I actually want to try out. What's everyone else's list, comments?

Sports Champions - cool demos, terrrrrrible name and logo, jeeze

echochrome™ 2 (PSN) - just saw that one quick shot, but definitely want to try something with a light mechanic.

Hustle Kings - er, maybe

Dead Space Extraction - included with Dead Space 2, and example of how Sony's doing it right

PAIN (PSN) - this will be particularly awesome if it just feels like you're pulling back and moving around the slingshot (i know most people don't think pain is any good, but my roommates and i play it all the freakin' time. this is very cool.)

The Shoot - don't know much about this, but desperately missing light gun games.

Heavy Rain - can't wait to see what they do here

Sly Collection - er, i want this, but not sure using Move

LittleBigPlanet 2 - i might actually create a level

SOCOM 4 - do want. wondering if they'll separate online Move vs. ds3 enabled rooms, or if it's really good enough to hold up.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 - want to at least try this out

Toy Story 3: The Video Game - not sure about move applications, but interested in the game

The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest - my roommate saw this in the press conference montage... it sold him and he's a grumpy and skeptical as shit.

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition - haven't played RE5 at all yet... so maybe

Time Crisis: Razing Storm - YES.

Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos - lol

Sorcery - looks VERY cool to me. hope the spell mixing stuff gets deep.

Killzone 3 - depending on how SOCOM 4 fares i guess. still skeptical about how well it works for fast FPS's 'til i see it myself. well, it's not like i'm not gonna buy the game, so i'll be trying it at least.

noah111

Still Alive
aristotle said:
You two keep forgetting/dismissing the point where they have put on record that there are multiple configs for each game. If you only have the wand, you're covered; if you only have the wand+ds3, you're covered; if you have a wand+subcontroller, you're covered. Why is it so hard to grasp that you CAN control these games with only the wand. They've actually said it's possible. You don't have to buy every single piece for every game to work. hell the boxing game will work without two of the wands. Just because they demo it one way, doesn't mean it's the only way. Read the press releases, watch the shows/conferences and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Just because you feel the need to buy everything at once, doesn't mean that you have to do it that way.

Do you really believe they won't have pack-ins (which are always cheaper) with games that require it or it's optional? The Sony BT HQ mic came with Socom, The BT headset came with Warhawk, the Eye camera came with Eyepet, the camera came with eye of judgment. You're being completely illogical about this pricing situation. The cost of entry is much cheaper than you two keep "complaining" about. Think about it.
Simply false, many of the games REQUIRE the Nav, when I say that I mean exactly that. Hell more than half of the games on their website have little nav controller icons meaning it requires it, there is no two Move substitute or whatever. Any game that says they need a Nav means they need it, the only 'optional' controls are one or two wands in certain games. You're telling me when more than half of your library is Nav required, most people will use a DS3 ghetto substitute method? No, they'll want to buy a Nav once they have a title or two that uses it, which won't be long at all.

distrbnce

Banned
Sentry said:
No, they'll want to buy a Nav once they have a title or two that uses it, which won't be long at all.

So people will want to buy it, compelled by the games, though it's still optional. What's the problem here?

Sentry said:
Simply false, many of the games REQUIRE the Nav, when I say that I mean exactly that. Hell more than half of the games on their website have little nav controller icons meaning it requires it, there is no two Move substitute or whatever. Any game that says they need a Nav means they need it, the only 'optional' controls are one or two wands in certain games. You're telling me when more than half of your library is Nav required, most people will use a DS3 ghetto substitute method? No, they'll want to buy a Nav once they have a title or two that uses it, which won't be long at all.

Do we have a list yet of games that *require* the certain controllers? Do we know yet what games can be controlled with a single wand, the ones that require both wand and controller, and games that need two wands yet? It would be interesting to see a break down since it seems from the demos that games that only require one wand seem to be the exception or are the super casual games.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Do we have a list yet of games that *require* the certain controllers? Do we know yet what games can be controlled with a single wand, the ones that require both wand and controller, and games that need two wands yet? It would be interesting to see a break down since it seems from the demos that games that only require one wand seem to be the exception or are the super casual games.

There are NO games that require 2 Move controllers.

DaveKap

Banned
I think there will be plenty of games that do use 2 Move controllers at once but in the grand scheme of gaming it won't matter too much. You need the Nunchuck to get a stick and since a stick is required for most "core" games, you're most likely going to want a Nunchuck to play good Move games. They didn't have the Nunchuck as usable when I demo'd at GDC and I got to play a really good dual-Move game so it's not impossible to have a good 2 Move controller game that doesn't need a stick, it's just that it was obviously not a good core game and more of a good game to end up in a collection of good demos.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
fixuis said:
What about sports champions, specifically that bow and arrow game.
You can use one controller for it. They showed it on Gamespot.

Screw separating Move and DS3 players for Third person/fps. Let the Move people blow away the DS3 players.

Just because you have the Move doesn't mean that you are instantly good at a certain game. It still requires practice and muscle memory.

beast786

I made some movies of Table tennis.

Spin shots. Just flapping the paddle etc etc

If anyone intrested let know i will post them.

Also just played ... Fight light and Eye pet with 3D and Move.

Owzers

aristotle said:

It's really not though. I'd rather not buy it at all than get some half-assed set-up that still costs $100.

DaveKap

Banned
aristotle said:
You two keep forgetting/dismissing the point where they have put on record that there are multiple configs for each game. If you only have the wand, you're covered; if you only have the wand+ds3, you're covered; if you have a wand+subcontroller, you're covered. Why is it so hard to grasp that you CAN control these games with only the wand.
I'm not really keeping track of the current argument/conversation but this was the plan for the Nintendo Wii and that barely panned out at all. Developers can't be trusted to actually deliver the multiple configurations we direly need. Hell, when it's so bad that regular controls like Killzone 2 get blasted for not having good enough customization options, how do you think Killzone 3 is going to shape up when it's Move-ready?

Developers cannot be trusted to have HCI-taught employees on their team; plain and simple.

don't get why there's not one single game that uses the Move like a camera ( as seen in ech demos). Maybe RUSE will use it that way? but i'm afraid not. Would be great for LBP2 aswell

beast786

Here we go.

So first I try to do that back and fourth wiggle, like some guy did on wii mote. Where even after the wiggle the ball will go at the same direction. So I intentionally tried to play crappy shots to see how much skill is required and if postioning of the paddle does really matter. I also put on spins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iQfrL60ROE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmLWjRQjJo

The spins do work, especially the way you hold your paddle.

The aim and position is also there . Ofcourse there is assist. I would say it did make me feel like i am in control but I know there was an obvious assist.

I did ask if there is a professional or hardcore option where the assist would be removed, the PR person didnt know.

ofcouse it has 2 player

There were two games with Move and 3D at the same time. Eyepet and Fight lights .

I wished TT had 3D and move.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
beast786 said:
Here we go.

So first I try to do that back and fourth wiggle, like some guy did on wii mote. Where even after the wiggle the ball will go at the same direction. So I intentionally tried to play crappy shots to see how much skill is required and if postioning of the paddle does really matter. I also put on spins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iQfrL60ROE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmLWjRQjJo

The spins do work, especially the way you hold your paddle.

The aim and position is also there . Ofcourse there is assist. I would say it did make me feel like i am in control but I know there was an obvious assist.

I did ask if there is a professional or hardcore option where the assist would be removed, the PR person didnt know.

ofcouse it has 2 player

There were two games with Move and 3D at the same time. Eyepet and Fight lights .

I wished TT had 3D and move.
CPU always seems to hit in the same position.

Johnanderson said:
don't get why there's not one single game that uses the Move like a camera ( as seen in ech demos). Maybe RUSE will use it that way? but i'm afraid not. Would be great for LBP2 aswell
Doesnt start the party use the camera.

Actually Sony should advertise this more. They should have a game where your whole body is taking into account that way they can convince casuals Kinect is nothing new.

MrPliskin

Banned
PistolGrip said:
CPU always seems to hit in the same position.

Doesnt start the party use the camera.

Actually Sony should advertise this more. They should have a game where your whole body is taking into account that way they can convince casuals Kinect is nothing new.

He doesn't mean use the PS Eye, he means using the Move controller to control the camera in game. There was a tech demo a while back where manipulating the move controller like a video camera would allow you to manipulate the in-game camera in the same manner.

Man

The European LBP2 cover reconfirms Move support:

41pSAilQsqL._SS400_.jpg

October 29th date on Amazon.co.uk.

Also, another shot of the charger:

41CjPecuDCL._SS400_.jpg
41XLGelrPZL._SS400_.jpg

Hydrargyrus

aggggg

What two shitty covers!
What's the meaning of this big blue dot when the Move features are already indicated in this blue bar?

Top Bottom