• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Move Thread: It Only Does Everything

Quick question (sorry if it has already been discussed earlier):

The dualshock3 feels more responsive (in terms of input lag) when hooked up via usb. Does the same hold true for the move? Or, since all of the motion tracking is done via the ps eye, is the wired/wireless matter entirely irrelevant in this case?

Cudder

CerebralTiger said:
Quick question (sorry if it has already been discussed earlier):

The dualshock3 feels more responsive (in terms of input lag) when hooked up via usb. Does the same hold true for the move? Or, since all of the motion tracking is done via the ps eye, is the wired/wireless matter entirely irrelevant in this case?
You're kidding right? You can actually tell the difference between using a wired DS3 and wireless? I think its all in your head.

Anyways, I still think the DS3 is connected by Bluetooth when you're wired to the PS3. the USB cable is strictly for charging.

hirokazu

Sleeplessnights said:
Definately not, that's the case with the Xbox controller. DS3 syncs in less than a second when wired, takes longer when its syncing via Bluetooth.
That's because it uses the USB connection to pair the controller with the PS3. I'd imagine if you're turning it on with the USB cable attached, it will initial the pairing and connection process through USB. With Bluetooth, it'll search for the PS3 it's paired with and then initiate the connection.

That doesn't confirm whether or not it uses the USB connection for regular communication rather than Bluetooth. I always believed it uses Bluetooth regardless, I don't have much to back this up either though.

DasRaven

hirokazu said:
That doesn't confirm whether or not it uses the USB connection for regular communication rather than Bluetooth. I always believed it uses Bluetooth regardless, I don't have much to back this up either though.

The fighting game community has extensively studied this and the situation is as follows:
1. When wired, the Sixaxis/DualShock3 pairs/charges/communicates through the usb connection, no communications are done via bluetooth.
2. When unwired, the Sixaxis/DualShock3 pairs/communicates through bluetooth.
3. The "input delay" between the wired/wireless situations is negligible to 1/60th of a second resolution (a single frame in fighting games)

Many people have used SA/DS3 guts and daughterboards to build joysticks and use them extensively without complaint of lag or delay.

Here's a 53 minute HotShots Golf 5 Move version for Japan. The person who posted made this comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJa_C99uFE

It's hard to get perfect impact and control it with the spin you want. A lot of times I try to topspin and end up with a backspin.

There doesn't seem to be much information about how to hit them either, it just says until you get used to it it will be hard to figure out how to super spin

Grinchy

Banned
Wow I had NO idea that they ever planned to patch Hotshots Golf with Move!! I loved that game but I lost my save file with my 60GB's YLOD and there was no way I was starting over. It's been a while, and I would totally play it again with Move.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Thanks to all the great deals this week I finally got a move. I got move woods bundle, extra wand, 1 navi,sharpshooter, singstar dance and sports champions. Will get the fighter lights out wednesday when new gamestop ad comes out with that game 9.99.

Loved the table tennis in sports champions. Can't wait to play brother in that game.
My fiance loves singstar dance she already planning a singstar girls night.

So what is the best fitness game for the move? My fiance would like a fitness game.

What is the best shooter to break in my sharpshooter with?

Is there any good party games? my family will be in town this weekend for my wedding. So be a good time to get a great party game.

DasRaven

quest said:
Thanks to all the great deals this week I finally got a move. I got move woods bundle, extra wand, 1 navi,sharpshooter, singstar dance and sports champions. Will get the fighter lights out wednesday when new gamestop ad comes out with that game 9.99.

Loved the table tennis in sports champions. Can't wait to play brother in that game.
My fiance loves singstar dance she already planning a singstar girls night.

So what is the best fitness game for the move? My fiance would like a fitness game.

What is the best shooter to break in my sharpshooter with?

Is there any good party games? my family will be in town this weekend for my wedding. So be a good time to get a great party game.

Best Fitness: UFC trainer (if you're serious) Mel B. (if you're not). The Fight has a decent exercise mode. Move Fitness seems like it'll be a decent, fun, fitness program with no celebrity tie-ins which I prefer, but it was just announced at GamesCon and has no release date yet.

Best Shooter: Since you already have a SharpShooter, I'd say Killzone 3 is a no brainer. If you want something more Sega, House of the Dead: Overkill is coming out next month.

Best Party: The only decent party game, IMO, is Start the Party. That's been a hit in my house with all ages. TV Superstars is a bit clunky, but also fun and can be had very cheap.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Slaylock said:
From CAG: 50% off Move accessories at Gamestop online

Move Controller: $24.99
Navigation Controller: $14.99
Sharpshooter: $19.99
PS3 MOVE Charging Station: $14.99
PlayStation Move Shooting Attachment: $7.49

Discount is reflected in cart.

I actually ended up getting another Move controller for $12.50 because of a cart glitch. It shipped this morning. Great deal.

Curufinwe

I want a Move mainly for DS: Extraction. Should I get a Nav controller for that game, too?

The free shipping code "VSHIP" is working for me, so try it and see if it works for you, too.

Bradach

Curufinwe said:
I want a Move mainly for DS: Extraction. Should I get a Nav controller for that game, too?

The free shipping code "VSHIP" is working for me, so try it and see if it works for you, too.
Maybe i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure i didn't use the nav for DS: Extraction at all, i think it's completely on rails and one move only is required. If you do need analogue control though it'll be minimal so you could get by with the DS3. For any FPS the nav is brilliant though.

Bradach said:
Maybe i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure i didn't use the nav for DS: Extraction at all, i think it's completely on rails and one move only is required. If you do need analogue control though it'll be minimal so you could get by with the DS3. For any FPS the nav is brilliant though.

Been some time for me as well, but I think that you only use the d-pad and L1. If it is only for Extraction, I wouldn't necessarily get the NavCon just for that, but in general I found it way more comfortable than holding a DS3 or having it rest on my leg (I usually hold NavCon and the Move Gun MGS CQC style for games like Extraction)

Number45

Is anything other than the Move required for Extraction? I thought it was fully on rails? I have it with the DS2 LE but I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet.

For those who have a sharpshooter, can you please let me know if its worth getting for KZ3 etc. Does it make the experience better or worse. I read some negative buzz about it but to me it should enhance the experience.

Thoughts?

leroidys

graywolf323 said:
is it worth getting a second move controller for just single player?

Yeah. Lots of games use two, and they're cheap, especially if you get them used. Sports Champions is way better with 2 move controllers for example. That way you're also set for some multi if it ever comes up as well.

Oppo

TrojanBlade said:
For those who have a sharpshooter, can you please let me know if its worth getting for KZ3 etc. Does it make the experience better or worse. I read some negative buzz about it but to me it should enhance the experience.

Thoughts?
Get the nav controller instead. if you want to play more than one FPS with Move, then it's worth it. Only downside to the nav pickle is that it's slightly overpriced.

The sharpshooter though, I feel is not worth it. Some games will actually be worse (like reticle aiming in R3). I'd get the navi before I bothered with the sharpshooter.

Agent X

PortTwo said:
Get the nav controller instead. if you want to play more than one FPS with Move, then it's worth it. Only downside to the nav pickle is that it's slightly overpriced.

The sharpshooter though, I feel is not worth it. Some games will actually be worse (like reticle aiming in R3). I'd get the navi before I bothered with the sharpshooter.

Don't you need the navigation controller in order to use the Sharpshooter anyway?

(OK, I guess Bret "The Hitman" Hart doesn't need one, but someone else might.)

TrojanBlade said:

Thoughts?

It worked really well for me in the KZ3 campaign and I had no trouble beating Elite with it. That said, campaign is really the only thing that you want to play with it as you will move slower by design (the movement arc is obviously increased for aiming). Also, it is no light gun, so don't expect aiming down the sights. It makes for a more immersive experience, but that is pretty much all and I can see that there might be quite a few people who don't want to spend money just for that.

Apart from KZ3, it is also nice for arcade shooters (i.e. Time Crisis) just for the retro feel of holding a big ass gun instead of the Move or Shooter attachment.

The latter one worked only well for me on The Shoot (which I really like) and Dead Space: Extraction, just because you have to do either the "lasso move" or tilt the gun for secondary fire.

Bradach

JWong said:
What is happening???
i think if you move the controller too much you lose. so you try to protect your controller while trying to attack the other players! when the music is slow the controller is more sensitive to movements so you have to be more careful.

Loudninja

Shtof said:
You sure about that? I think some high ranking Sony guy said that Move and third-person action games generally didn't work so well together.
Eh yeah I amsure a dev confirmed its for single player.

Alright my impressions about SS with KZ3...I am returning it :/ ... the thing is just too cumbersome to hold and play. I couldn't play much and was dying left and right. And the whole holding the gun for long periods of time just doesn't work. So I switched back to just the Move and Navi, and everything was AWESOME again. Once you get used to Move and Navi, it works great and dare I say feels much more satisfying than just a DS controller :)

I am guessing SS might be ok for on-rails shooters but not something like KZ3, R3 etc.

NRezXBX

Neo Member
Amazon has matched GameStop's prices for (at least some of) the Move Accessories. I just ordered the Sharp Shooter and the Navigation Controller myself.

Jme

Man, I thought I missed out on this sale but thankfully Gamestop extended it until 10/2.

I picked up:
Move Controller
Navigation Controller
Playstation Move Heroes
EyePet
The Shoot

For $70

I've wanted EyePet for my kids but never wanted to spend 40 on it, and have missed out on sales. The shoot demo was ok, and I like on-rail shooters enough I figure 10 bucks is like renting it from redbox or something (and if it sucks there's always ebay). And Heroes seems decent enough, we'll see I guess. Think my wife might join me on this one

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Has there ever been rumor of a new Point Blank game for the Move?

I remember reading that DICE was looking into implementing Move support for Battlefield 3. Any news/updates on that?

If BF3 gets Move support it will be a definite purchase for me. If not, then I probably won't bother. Sony would be stupid not to moneyhat a Move/Sharpshooter bundle for BF3, IMO.

LowEndTorque said:
I remember reading that DICE was looking into implementing Move support for Battlefield 3. Any news/updates on that?

If BF3 gets Move support it will be a definite purchase for me. If not, then I probably won't bother. Sony would be stupid not to moneyhat a Move/Sharpshooter bundle for BF3, IMO.

They said that the move was "awesome", but didn't feel it "fit" their game.

User Name Here said:
They said that the move was "awesome", but didn't feel it "fit" their game.

Shame.

Oh well, at least my wallet will appreciate that. One less game to buy this holiday season.

EDIT: BTW, do you have the link/source for that? I searched but I only found them saying that about the Kinect, not the Move.

Also stumbled on this while searching:

http://videogamingeverything.blogspot.com/2011/06/analyst-battlefield-3-will-move-you.html

Posted this past June. Not what you would call a reliable site by any means, but still enough to give conflicting messages.

Top Bottom