• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Only Gamers...Will You Buy a Xbox Series for Starfield?

As a PS only gamer will you buy a Series X/S for Starfield

• Nah

Votes: 438 83.6%
  • Yes, absolutely

Votes: 86 16.4%

• Total voters

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Got a pc where it'll be better anyway.

EruditeHobo

I'm over Bethesda... loved ESIV, had fun with Fallout 4, but I'm pretty much done with them.
Starfield looks cool, I wouldn't mind trying it, but I'm not buying another system for it.

It would take something like Indiana Jones being exclusive & looking amazing to convince me to buy the X, at this point.
Same for Fable, if that looks incredible I'll get one. I'd cave for those two games in a heartbeat. Then I'd pick up Starfield.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/starfield-whats-up.1606553/post-263572889
I'm expecting a sci-fi Bethesda game. Basically Fallout 4 on a bigger scale.
Punished Miku
5/23/21

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...’s-grounded-in-reality.1630876/post-265653954
Skyrim in space should tell everyone all they need to know really. If people want to set themselves up for disappointment, no one else can stop them.
Punished Miku
2/21/22

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-fate-of-bethesda-game-studios-2002-2020.1567787/
Even made a whole thread on it.

The Fate of Bethesda Game Studios (2002 - 2020)​

Punished Miku
9/2/20

I've said this for a while, but Bethesda got lapped by everyone in terms of open world tech during the PS4 gen. Starfield will primarily live and die by the strength of its writing, story, and RPG elements. We now have graphical wizards and action game developers that make large open worlds with fluid animations and fantastic graphics. Bethesda is not really equipped to compete with Guerrila Games on graphics, or Naughty Dog on animations, or Capcom on gameplay. They have writing, story, and RPG elements left to stand on.

As for Starfield, it doesn't yet look like a system seller to me either but it's early. I think the Xbox is worth getting already just for GP, so it'll be a huge GP release at the very least. I do think a lot of people have really distorted expectations about what to expect from Bethesda. This is always what it was going to be. Bethesda can compete with the best in a very focused and small areas. If I'm optimistic about anything in Starfield its that the setting actually plays to their strengths. A slow scientist / astronaut doesn't have to move like a ninja. The story and roleplaying just have to be decent.

skit_data

I voted ”Nah” because I will probably wait for some more exclusives.

Also, We should wait until the game is released before making these types of threads.

No. I would not purchase the XSX just for Starfield looked rough to me, and it doesn't look next-gen. I've been a Playstation owner since the original Playstation, so for around 25 years now. The only XBox I had owned before was the XB360 Slim. Last May, I purchased the XSX since I couldn't find a PS5. After picking up 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate, the XSX is one of the best gaming decision I've ever made.

My PS5 is coming today. Before today, I have a Plus subscription till 2025, and a NOW sub till this November. Today I noticed that I'm in the highest Premium tier of the Playstation Plus, though I don't know if that will end when my original NOW sub ends this November or when my Plus ends in 2025. Either way, I will be starting Demon's Souls as soon as the PS5 gets here, and I can't wait to play Ghost of Tsushima The Director's Cut after that. Cheers everyone!

Flabagast

I strongly hesitated before making the choice to buy a PS5 and thought a part of me would regret not playing the game, but the reveal totally shifted my perception.

I thought it was one of the most disappointing reveals in years. It seems to be an even more overbloat feature-creep mess than before that focuses on meaningless time sink activities (base building, menial crafting, etc), I am already 99% certain that the narrative delivery will be extremely poor and not the focus of the game (no voiced MC, still the same 2005 aera fixed FP picture during dialogue scenes, extremely lacking voice acting and writing in the few we got to see), combat that seems to be devoid of any feed-back, and graphics do not even make up for it as art direction looks very dull and as generic as a F2P Sci Fi MMORPG.

Frankly, this looks to be the most ambitious turd ever.

Pelta88

Not for that game alone, no. The trailer didn't blow me away. But I am probably getting an XSX eventually either way.

The official trailer uploaded onto Bethesda's youtube has about 1.5 million views which is really low in comparison with expectations going into the showcase.

We've all seen trailers garner 10 million views in less than a day so by that measure, given that XBOX marketing refers to the ip as "The most anticipated"

I don't think the trailer, specifically, did the game justice.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/starfield-whats-up.1606553/post-263572889

Punished Miku
5/23/21

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...’s-grounded-in-reality.1630876/post-265653954

Punished Miku
2/21/22

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-fate-of-bethesda-game-studios-2002-2020.1567787/
Even made a whole thread on it.

The Fate of Bethesda Game Studios (2002 - 2020)​

Punished Miku
9/2/20

I've said this for a while, but Bethesda got lapped by everyone in terms of open world tech during the PS4 gen. Starfield will primarily live and die by the strength of its writing, story, and RPG elements. We now have graphical wizards and action game developers that make large open worlds with fluid animations and fantastic graphics. Bethesda is not really equipped to compete with Guerrila Games on graphics, or Naughty Dog on animations, or Capcom on gameplay. They have writing, story, and RPG elements left to stand on.

As for Starfield, it doesn't yet look like a system seller to me either but it's early. I think the Xbox is worth getting already just for GP, so it'll be a huge GP release at the very least. I do think a lot of people have really distorted expectations about what to expect from Bethesda. This is always what it was going to be. Bethesda can compete with the best in a very focused and small areas. If I'm optimistic about anything in Starfield its that the setting actually plays to their strengths. A slow scientist / astronaut doesn't have to move like a ninja. The story and roleplaying just have to be decent.
naughty dog open worlds? the scope of Starfield seem to be tens of times larger than what the guerrilla aimed at...have you seen the trailer or are you just having your say? Because it does not reflect the reality of the facts.

naughty dog open worlds? the scope of Starfield seem to be tens of times larger than what the guerrilla aimed at...have you seen the trailer or are you just having your say? Because it does not reflect the reality of the facts.
"Bethesda is not really equipped to compete with Guerrila Games on graphics, or Naughty Dog on animations, or Capcom on gameplay."

Do you disagree with any of that?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Depends on how horribly this will run on PC (which will get the short end of the stick in terms of optimization I am sure). If it can be brute-forced by GPU/CPU or can get a stable 40FPS/4K then nope.

Gandih42

I quite enjoyed the reveal and depending on its state when it releases, I'm quite sure I'd like to play it down the line. But I'd much rather play it on PC than XBOX if I have to, I just don't really need another console. I think it looks quite adequate visually, great in some places even, but the main thing for me if it has that specific nebulous interactive-open-world-exploration-you-can-go-anywhere-quality that I've only gotten from Bethesda.

Would've been very happy to see it release on the PS5 though. At the very least I hope it will be a part of keeping the competition strong between MS and Sony. Please be a banger.

"Bethesda is not really equipped to compete with Guerrila Games on graphics, or Naughty Dog on animations, or Capcom on gameplay."

Do you disagree with any of that?
Agree just specifying that 2 of those devs have no idea what an RPG is and one not even in the open world. I don't understand how guerrilla and naughty dog(especially) can compete with Bethesda in that genre

Last edited:

Mr Moose

No, if I would be getting anything it would be a 3060 GPU for "Xbox" (and other PC) games, but it wouldn't be for this game.

Agree just specifying that 2 of those devs have no idea what an RPG is and one not even in the open world. I don't understand how guerrillas and naughty dogs (especially) can compete with Bethesda in that genre
Theyre not the same thing, true. But the argument I'm making is that even games that aren't open world rpgs now are fairly open and have some rpg elements.

Basically that Bethesda niche has been encroached on. And at the same time they haven't advanced like the others have.

The main thing they're pushing here that no one else is doing is scale. Starfield is definitely much bigger than I expected if their claims are true. Im still psyched to play it.

yurinka

No, but I think it looks promising and may get a 3 months of PC GP for $1 offer to play it.

I played like 100 hours of No Man's Sky at launch and left it before the first big expansion. I think I'll go back to see all the stuff they added since then for the PSVR2 release. More because I think it must be super cool in VR than because of the new added stuff.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
No. I was hoping it would be a big step up from prior Bethesda games but it doesn't look to be imo.

But game pass is appealing to me.

Going to see how Sony's new service works out. There is a chance I'll get a series S for gamepass just to play games I wouldn't normally buy but am still curious about.

No interest in buying silk song or high on life but would love to just give the game a go.

Last edited:

NickFire

Interesting game with good (imo) graphics. But not something I would spend about 600 on inclusive of the console, which is basically what the poll is asking (since I can't go back to 1080P).

Swift_Star

Banned
Never liked any Bethesda stuff and that presentation didn't change anything for me.

I'm actually lucky that all MS acquisitions are studios that i never bought games so far, lmao.
All of this, except for Crash and Spyro which as of the latest statements made by them might mean these series would still come out on PS and Nintendo systems.

fallingdove

I have both systems, but honestly, that footage didn't even convince me to install it when it launches on GP.

I’m with you. I picked up an SX last year for FH5, was mildly excited about Starfield. But the game looks average at best. Won’t bother paying for 1 month of GamePass to try it out.

GHG

Gold Member
Based on what I saw I doubt I'll even bother to play it on PC until there are some interesting mods. It looks drab.

I guess I'd say I was more of a Sony guy since I've had all of their consoles, but when I saw I could get a next gen Xbox and three years of gamepass for right at $500, I was in and I don't regret it. No, I don't like all of the shit that comes out on there, but if you like video games, it's a hell of a good deal with the gamepass/gold trick still being viable.

Top Bottom