• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Extra/Premium Discounted, Ends Jan 13

Topher

Gold Member
Applies to 3 month and 1 year plans

Extra
3 Month: $39.99 > $24.99
1 Year: $99.99 > $59.99

Premium
3 Month: $49.99 > $34.99
1 Year: $119.99 > $79.99

QCLmQJS.png

xeFXfvb.png

Only non-subscribers and current Essential subscribers are eligible for these discounts.

Discounts for current Extra and Premium members:

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

Edit: As pointed out by LegendOfKage LegendOfKage , those upgrading to a higher tier get 30% discount.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Same as gamepass shtick.

Do we know the penalty for for current users?

I know that you can get the 3 year discount for gamepass if aren't using their services for 4 months. Does this service have a penalty like that?

SteadyEvo

Mine expired Christmas Eve but my PlayStations been boxed up for months. I’ll have to see if anything interesting has been added since I’ve been away.

Puscifer

What's really funny is that while I was creating this thread I was going to pull the trigger on another year but then I logged in and all the discounts disappeared.

So nope.....no money from me, Sony. Sorry.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Yep, I've officially moved to PC for all my multiplayer needs. I just wanna play cod with my friend's and fighting games, I'm not getting forced into an eco system for that purpose. My PS5 will remain an exclusives machine

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It was a no thanks anyway, but as it's for none premium subscribers I have one thing to say to Sony...

How about you gargle on my ball sack.

Esca

Personally in fine with premium. I find the game trails really helpful and like the remakes and classic. For the extra$20 I've gotten my use from it.

That extra deal is amazing

I upgraded to extra for the leftover 300 days I have on my sub and it cost me $23. At first I was ignoring it because I didnt pay attention just how many PS4 games were available. Theres quite a few i never played because i was unsure if id like them but didnt want to splurge the cash. And then why not grab those PS5 exclusives for free that I havent played yet.

Fredrik

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC
Maybe because lots of us already got it cheap by using the PSNow to Premium conversion?
I can’t complain. I’d say it’s a good move, would’ve never stayed subbing at the previous standard price but $60/year for extra to get the game catalogue is no issue for me, I mean it’s half a pizza per month. 🤷‍♂️

Fredrik

That bad? I was considering it after being without PS + for a few months... is extra even worth it?
For me it has been awesome, got to play through Returnal and Miles Morales and try Death Stranding, Days Gone, Shadow of the Colossus for half a pizza per month.
Only downside is the delays, to get the most from game catalogue you need to be LTTP or you’ll already own the games when they pop up on the service library.

PaintTinJr

Premium is a scam. Sony should be ashamed of themselves.
I keep considering it as much for the smaller games for the better half and kids, but more so because Tekken 2 is there, but the scummy move of holding to ransom behind Premium always puts me off.

I bought Tekken 2 on PS3/Vita digitally for convenience - despite hating digital - and have it installed on both old systems, and now they've fixed the B/C for the game on PS5 there is 0% reasons I shouldn't beable to use that game on PS5 in a Vita/PSP or PS3 mode, but apparently we need PS+ premium to play it because PS3 games are locked to PS3 regardless of if that is semantically true.

I'm sure if PlayStation ever want me to become a all digital buyer - I'll probably ditch gaming before that in all likelihood - they are going to have to kiss the ring and fix these business issues to give me confidence I'm not buying thin-air for when the system I bought games on is obsolete. I was considering caving and buying Resogun and Sifu digitally too, but they really need to loosen the old Vader grip IMO for me to be more open to digital even for cheaper indie/AA.

Extra was already an excellent deal, even better at this price.
No doubt. I've only ever tried a month's worth of it to gain access to my cloud saves from PS4, and it had a lot of good games. I already have Game Pass Ultimate, so I'm trying to determine if I'll have time to play all those games. lol

I also game on Switch, so trying to juggle all these games while finding the time for them can be challenging. First world problems...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So true.
Ridge Racer 2 & Tekken 2 is literally the only reason to have it but them alone aren't worth the asking price.
If only they had a library of those type of classic games things would be different.
I'd love to have all the Ridge/Rage Racers.
They're still really fun to play.

bender

What time is it?
So true.
Ridge Racer 2 & Tekken 2 is literally the only reason to have it but them alone aren't worth the asking price.
If only they had a library of those type of classic games things would be different.
I'd love to have all the Ridge/Rage Racers.
They're still really fun to play.

I had over ten years of PS+ when Sony launched Extra/Premium and the upgrade fee capped out at $149.99 so I just went with Premium. I've been in Sony's ecosystem from the get go so the service has been really lackluster. I think this encompasses the majority of my history:

-Stray (completed)
-Ico (completed)
-Ape Escape (in progress)
-Ghostwire (Trial)
-Chicory (glad I got to try this indie)
-Ridge Racer 2 (been playing this all morning and I fucking miss this series so much)

That's not to say there aren't great games on the service, but I just find that I've purchased and played the ones that interest me already.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
My Playstation plus extra sub ends on jan 20th, fucking Sony doesn't even let me extend my sub at those prices. I will not resub before they give me another discount.

Only non-subscribers and current Essential subscribers are eligible for these discounts.

That's not entirely true, and you should consider editing your post. People without plus get 40 percent off. People upgrading get 30 percent off, including people on the Extra tier upgrading to premium.

Topher

Gold Member
That's not entirely true, and you should consider editing your post. People without plus get 40 percent off. People upgrading get 30 percent off, including people on the Extra tier upgrading to premium.

Not every plan gets 40 percent off, but I'll add that Extra members can also get a discount.

Maybe because lots of us already got it cheap by using the PSNow to Premium conversion?
I can’t complain. I’d say it’s a good move, would’ve never stayed subbing at the previous standard price but $60/year for extra to get the game catalogue is no issue for me, I mean it’s half a pizza per month. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 that Premium is a shitty deal. But what is a good deal is different for everyone. I'm not renewing because I have so many games to play already. I've played all of one game on PS+ this year: A Plague Tale: Innocence. So obviously for me this isn't worth it.

But I think it sucks when companies adopt a policy advertising a great deal for new customers or those who are upgrading and take for granted existing customers. My money will easily be spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
But I think it sucks when companies adopt a policy advertising a great deal for new customers or those who are upgrading and take for granted existing customers. My money will easily be spent elsewhere.
I know what you mean, but Sony did give extra subscribers a chance to renew at a discount over the holidays. This is kind of just a bonus for anyone who missed that.

Topher

Gold Member
I know what you mean, but Sony did give extra subscribers a chance to renew at a discount over the holidays. This is kind of just a bonus for anyone who missed that.

Did they really? I guess my mistake was upgrading from the old PS+ to Premium tier when they rolled out the service.

Did they really? I guess my mistake was upgrading from the old PS+ to Premium tier when they rolled out the service.
I wouldn't blame yourself. No one knew how poorly they would handle the Premium tier. I'm still not happy that they took remakes and re-releases that came out for PS4 and put them in the premium tier, but there's no consistency. I'm also not happy that Extra subscribers can't filter PS2 and PS3 titles out of their searches, even when they select it as an option.

I'd recommend Extra to anyone with a playstation console, but there is a lot that could be improved.

Still annoyed they got rid of the essential discounts for this. I use to always find it around Christmas around 30-40 bucks for the entire PS4 generation and the first year of the PS5 till these new tiers came out.
I'm still annoyed I just can't play the games I purchase online without having to pay a bullshit $60 a year for ps plus. I could care less about the monthly "free games" as well as the ps plus collection since I own all those games anyway.

Fuck you Sony and MS.

Topher

Gold Member
I wouldn't blame yourself. No one knew how poorly they would handle the Premium tier. I'm still not happy that they took remakes and re-releases that came out for PS4 and put them in the premium tier, but there's no consistency. I'm also not happy that Extra subscribers can't filter PS2 and PS3 titles out of their searches, even when they select it as an option.

I'd recommend Extra to anyone with a playstation console, but there is a lot that could be improved.

lol...oh I don't blame myself. Should have put an /s at the end. I agree that Sony has done a piss poor job with the Premium tier. If any tier should be getting discounts it should be Premium folks at this point. Really there should only be two tiers. Essentials and $60 and Premium at $100 and no middle tier. As it is, I do think Extra is a good deal, but I'm a bit sour on PS+ right now so I'm going to skip it for a while and see if I miss it.

lol...oh I don't blame myself. Should have put an /s at the end. I agree that Sony has done a piss poor job with the Premium tier. If any tier should be getting discounts it should be Premium folks at this point. Really there should only be two tiers. Essentials and $60 and Premium at $100 and no middle tier. As it is, I do think Extra is a good deal, but I'm a bit sour on PS+ right now so I'm going to skip it for a while and see if I miss it.
I love the idea of the Premium tier, but it should ONLY be for PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles, along with game streaming and demos. No PS4 or PS5 games should ever appear on the service. The way they did things is just confusing and underwhelming.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I guess I'll sign up to Extra for a year since I have money that's just been sitting on my PSN account for years.

Hopefully I can get value out of their catalogue of PS+ Collection games over the course of the year.

It's been months since I last turned on my PS5.

DaGwaphics

$60 is a great price on Extra. If I didn't have the Premium in place from the PSNow conversion I would add a year or two.

Top Bottom