• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th

Kupfer

A bump here.
I need a little bit of help please.
I play most of my games on NSW and PC (GP, steam and epic), but I will probably (in the near future, 1-2 months) get a PS5 for my daughter, son and me, so I wanted to know if PSPlus is worth it for somenone who never owned a PlayStation and has not played any of the exclusives (are the games included worth it) and if yes which plan schould I choose (I don't really like online gaming, but I do play it occaionally)?
Thx
Yes, a PlayStation subscription can definitely make sense in your case.
When I look at the list of included games, I see more hours of gameplay than one could possibly play. At the same time, in my opinion, it's a problem because the more you have, the more oversaturated you become, the less appreciation you have for the product, and, speaking for myself, the less joy you get from playing.
But, well, you seem to be accustomed to and approving of this type of gaming consumption.
Here is a list of games available in the various subscriptions, so there should be something for everyone.

EDIT:

However, I personally would prefer to buy games selectively, and when it comes to saving money, I would consider buying used games that I missed over the years and want to catch up on or that my children are excited about. In my experience, there is a higher level of appreciation for a physical, tangible game for which you have spent money, compared to having a pile of everything in front of you, playing each for an hour but ultimately not sticking with any of them.
I would want to purchase and play games one by one, consciously selecting each one.

Either way, I would recommend purchasing a PlayStation 5 with a disc drive to at least keep the option open for physical game purchases.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

A bump here.
I play most of my games on NSW and PC (GP, steam and epic), but I will probably (in the near future, 1-2 months) get a PS5 for my daughter, son and me, so I wanted to know if PSPlus is worth it for somenone who never owned a PlayStation and has not played any of the exclusives (are the games included worth it) and if yes which plan schould I choose (I don't really like online gaming, but I do play it occaionally)?
Thx
PlayStation Plus Extra is highly recommended. It includes most of(& not all) highly acclaimed games from PlayStation studios in addition to other great games from several different genres and categories.

For a complete up to date you can look it up on PlayStation website or here

Aenima

A bump here.
Thx
Get PS+ Extra, you will have alot of games to look forward. But wait for the Black Friday discount. Sony usually does a 25% discount on PS+ prices during Black Friday.

aclar00

A bump here.
Thx

Honestly, given the price increase it isnt to me, but the higher tiers were also never of interest to me. The value just doesnt seem to be there. Its one thing of Sony had all or nearly all their published content available (a la Netflix originals) but they dont if im not mistaken.

With the lower tier your are basically playing for online multiplayer and the monthly games will be hit or miss on quality and hit or miss on child/family oriented gaming. However, it would be the best tier if you or your children will play Free to Play (F2P) online games (irony intended) such as Fortnite or Roblox.

KouNaN

Neo Member
Kupfer Kupfer - The oversaturation is one thing which is a bit worrying and I was thinking about it as I already have that problem with my NSW and on top of that GP, Steam and Epic, just to many games and sometimes I just rush through games and some of these games have a good story. Now I have a huge backlog and I am taking it easy with games. The Plus catalog could be important for me as I will pay less for these games that way then if I decided to buy them (in my country they are still expensive, OK I can resell probably most of them, but sometimes I like to avoid that extra work, but still I plan to get one with the disc.

Kusarigama Kusarigama & Aenima Aenima - I will wait for blacx friday for sure as it will come soon enough and I am planing to get EA FC 24 and need one game for my 10 year daughter (but it is not se important as I've just got Super Mariod 3D world + Bowser's Fury and will get Super Mario Bros Wonder for the NSW.

aclar00 aclar00 - I get it, I have to see what is financially better value for me at least to catch up with older games.

So, thx everyone and my conclusion is that at the end the Plus Extra is worth it, but I should probably wait till I decided to start playing these games (so after I finish the backlog on my NSW and PC) and then when I finish what I like I could go to lower tier just for the online gaming (if it's actually worth it).

Top Bottom