• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you buy/renew your PS Plus membership now prices have increased.

Will you buy or renew your membership?

• Yes. I don't care

• Hell no

• Not sure yet

• I don't have PS Plus

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thabass

broke chris tucker GIF
Okay, great use of GIF.

Aenima

Probably yes during the Black Friday promo for the PS+ Extra tier. The price hike is agressive though without a promo. If its below 100€ for a year of PS+ Extra i still sub it.
The price hike for Essential is the most agressive and if i was only subbed to that i would rather let is expire than sub for that price.

Labadal

I was always willing to renew despite previous price hikes, as I would add several years during discount periods. However, this time, I do not feel compelled to renew, ever again. I will let this sub to run out.

NewYork214

I have 2 years left. See how premium is at the time. If still not pumping out classics and game trials, I'll switch to extra

Madjaba

Nope, so far the offer is sub-par and the really good games have already been played at full price by a majority of players.

I'll sub from time to time depending of what they add but I won't sub for long periods anymore.

ghostz

Neo Member
Sony decided to increase their prices for PS Plus with an astronomical 33% for all tiers. Prices are changing within a week:

$20 increase for essential. $59.99 -> $79.99
$35 increase for extra. $99.99 -> $134.99
$40 increase for premium. $119.99 -> $159.99

Considering I bought the premium for the classics library and how poor it has been so far (compared to the vast Playstation library) I can say Sony can eat it and I'm not renewing.
Not a chance.

Mahavastu

Voted "not sure yet".
I still have about 2 years left on my extra subscription, purchased rather cheap during sales.
Not sure what will happen in this 2 years and what kind of sales will happen during that time.

While IMHO the selection of games on the Extra package is really good, I use it way less than I expected. Somehow I still buy most games I play.
So far my thinking was "ok, it is 40 bucks per year more than PS+ essential which I will get anyway. If I get to play 1-2 games a year, I am fine with that". Now it is over 60 Euro more than the old Essential price, and such it takes nearly 3 games for me to see it break even. I do not have that much time for playing, so I am not sure if it is still worth it...

Vblad88

I'm doing sub'n'cancelling every now and then to play particular game, and with price hikes of single games I think I will still stick to that scheme. Little to no games are worth owning anymore, even on digital storefront, as with all the entertainment really.

xrnzaaas

I still have 10 months left to see if the situation changes, but I wouldn't count on Sony backtracking on this idea or giving bigger discounts than current -20%/-30%. I am planning to finally play some PS+ games I've collected over the years and then I'm not renewing.

Three

I have premium stacked for 3-4yrs from the loophole before it launched. I think we need more poll options though, I might resub in a few years when it runs out depending on what's on there but it's not because I don't care about the hike. The hike is absolutely shitty. If it's not cheaper than the comp as it is now even with the hike at that time then maybe I won't and move elsewhere if it's not saving money in any way. It's the shitty way these companies make money on subs, get an audience then price hike. Buying quality games might be cheaper overall.

PaintTinJr

I'm in no rush, but mainly because I'm tunnel vision about the return of PES/efootball master league - that is probably neve coming.

I only got my previous sub to play PES 2021 update occasionally online, and eFootball is such shallow version of PES towards Fifa that there's nothing currently that demands I have access to paid multiplayer and I still buy games physically, so probably get superior value buying the games I actual want - because the gamepass and PS+ free games ae really just paid demos, any game I've liked eg FF7 remake I then buy.

SHA

Just because it's my secondary platform, doesn't mean I should spend alot on games, the membership matters for me to catch up with missed games, there's nothing wrong with that, I play older games first.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
As long as I keep on saving money compared to buying games outright for the year, yes. Once that inverts then I will cancel.

Rockman33

Absolutely not.

I got my current 1-Year Extra sub at $60.

It ends Q1 2024. I won't be renewing at over double the price.

Even though I'll probably beat 30 games by the time the sub ends, I don't think it's worth more then $60-$70 for a year.

I might as well just sell the PS5 when my subscription ends while it still holds value.
I did too. Really only reason I got it was for TLOU multiplayer…

ProtoByte

Already canceled Gamepass at last price increase and today canceled PS +. Put my Seriex X, 4 controllers, PS5, 4 controllers for sales on Facebook Marketplace. I'm out. I'm going PC and sailing the high seas ☠️ so these fucks get no money from me again.
A thief insulted by having to pay for things. Lol

ProtoByte

Luckily I have quite a few years stacked so I'll be OK but I won't renew afterwards unless they do something drastic like day 1 first party games.
You're not insinuating day 1 PlayStation 1st party games amounts to 80, or even 140 dollars of value to you, are you?

ByWatterson

Yes, mainly for my monthly games library, which is now hundreds of games. Having young kids, it's always hard to find them something appropriate and accessible to play, but that library always has something.

Sticking with Essential though, and just reupped today to avoid the increase through 2025.

dotnotbot

I just woke up and have to take 2 big Ls as a PS owner.

Extra is off the table now. I only have had Essential and that's the tier I'm gonna stick to indefinitely (and as always, I'm gonna buy it at a discount). I'm so mad I didn't stack few years in advance.

Last edited:

Fbh

This is such a sad but true fact. We, that is those of us who have real passion for the hobby, are the minority and don't determine the future of it.

I know this mentality can come off as "grr, stop liking what I don't like", but it's bad for both sides. People who aren't tuned into the industry don't give a shit that they get fucked up the ass with greedy practices, and those of us who do care will still feel the brunt of it because we're the minority. I would like to think that even the fifa or COD players would stop and think "this is too expensive", but at the same time I'm of the mind that most people in the world are stupid, and sadly a lot of the people who pay into those games have more money then sense.

But these are the same people that will happily drop $50+ on those FIFA ultimate team microtransactions, or $15 on a Fortnite skin or whatever COD is doing with microtransactions these days. So they probably don't really think $70 for a year of multiplayer is too much.

Also their gaming spending is ultimately still lower than the average "hardcore gamer" because if you only buy 2-3 games a year even adding Ps+ and some microtransactions they are probably spending less on games than some people on GAF who've bought like 6 games at launch this year alone (probably more by the end of the year)

My subscription is good for another year and a half or two, so I’ll make a decision then but I definitely am not keeping premium that’s for sure. Even at this price it’s not worth it, with that increase they must be out of their fucking minds.

odhiex

This is sucks, but I will always renew when it is on sale anyway...but still sucks

Last edited:

Esca

Was already thinking about downgrading to essential. I'll only grab essential when I can get a good deal and no worry if it lapses before that.

This pisses me off, not that they did a price hike but imo the unreasonable amount of it.

truth411

I'm subscribed to 2033, but I think the price increase is a bit much at one time.

Edit: There are usually sales around Black Friday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom