• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Holy Moly, that is one big price increase. Sony doesn’t fool around.
I haven’t had PS+ in a long time though, so it doesn’t really affect me.

Zuzu

I wonder how long Sony & Microsoft will continue to allow free online for free 2 play games? Surely they can't be happy with so many people playing games like Fortnite, Warzone & Overwatch without paying for online. But if they're taking a cut of the microtransactions in those games then maybe they're happy with that for now.

foamdino

Hopefully there will be a sale of ps+ sub prices around black friday time, if not I'll probably sub for 1 more year of extra and see if that year provides enough value for the price.

Giving away Saint's Row is like gifting someone Bad Rats on Steam - sick joke.

I wonder how long Sony & Microsoft will continue to allow free online for free 2 play games? Surely they can't be happy with so many people playing games like Fortnite, Warzone & Overwatch without paying for online. But if they're taking a cut of the microtransactions in those games then maybe they're happy with that for now.
I don't think either of Microsoft or Sony would dare to attempt to put F2P games behind their online paywall restriction unless they both decided with a backroom handshake deal to jointly do so at the same time, because otherwise they'd be taking a huge risk of bleeding those Fortnite and other mainly F2P players to the other console. Of course, this also might lead to an anti-trust lawsuit/investigation for collusion against consumers if such a handshake deal ever happened.

skit_data

I don't think either of Microsoft or Sony would dare to attempt to put F2P games behind their online paywall restriction unless they both decided with a backroom handshake deal to jointly do so at the same time, because otherwise they'd be taking a huge risk of bleeding those Fortnite and other mainly F2P players to the other console. Of course, this also might lead to an anti-trust lawsuit/investigation for collusion against consumers if such a handshake deal ever happened.
Umm... Xbox had that paywall til a couple of years ago.

Even without a price rise I was going to let both services expire.

I bought a couple of year's worth of Extra when it came out and I've ended playing like 3 games so it's been a complete waste. The choice isn't terrible but if you have Gamepass anything decent you will have likely already played and any decent exclusives I bought day one.

I've now let my Gamepass expire and will do the same for this.

I think the fact that we had a few years with mainly poor or short AAA games made me overvalue both subscription services as I was playing tons of indies but now I'm back to buying the stuff I want day 1 with the likes of Zelda, BG3 and hopefully Starfield being huge and impressive games. I just get the specific indies I want on Steam so I can play on the Steamdeck.

Umm... Xbox had that paywall til a couple of years ago.
I know, but it's a heck of a lot more difficult to turn back on that decision now than it was simply keeping the former policies in place. Microsoft essentially took a bat and swiped at a hornet's nest a couple years ago when they tried to double the price of online multiplayer, and unintentionally had a lot of their own consumers come to realize how both F2P games and party chat were both free on PlayStation while both were behind the paywall on Xbox.

Also, from my perspective looking around on social media outside of NeoGAF, it appears that Sony is now the one swiping at the hornet's nest with their anti-consumer decision to hike these PS Plus membership prices, especially for the Essential tier as the fact that the PS5 console doesn't allow backing up saves on a USB drive for PS5 games, no web browser functionality on PS5 when the PS4 had it, and no free cloud storage unlike on Xbox seems to be particular sore points for even longtime PlayStation loyalists, and so the 30%+ hike for the basic online membership just seems like a slap in the face to the collective PlayStation fanbase.

skit_data

I know, but it's a heck of a lot more difficult to turn back on that decision now than it was simply keeping the former policies in place. Microsoft essentially took a bat and swiped at a hornet's nest a couple years ago when they tried to double the price of online multiplayer, and unintentionally had a lot of their own consumers come to realize how both F2P games and party chat were both free on PlayStation while both were behind the paywall on Xbox.

Also, from my perspective looking around on social media outside of NeoGAF, it appears that Sony is now the one swiping at the hornet's nest with their anti-consumer decision to hike these PS Plus membership prices, especially for the Essential tier as the fact that the PS5 console doesn't allow backing up saves on a USB drive for PS5 games, no web browser functionality on PS5 when the PS4 had it, and no free cloud storage unlike on Xbox seems to be particular sore points for even longtime PlayStation loyalists, and so the 30%+ hike for the basic online membership just seems like a slap in the face to the collective PlayStation fanbase.
Ah, I get what you mean :p Yeah, it's a lot harder to reverse policies like these if it means getting less for the same/a higher pricepoint

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I have to say I'm very impressed. With starfield mania going on around here for a while now I thought it would be months before anything would be a bigger story but here we are. A negative Sony article is stomping Starfield right now.

twilo99

Do you think they’ll listen to his advice?

oUJ7glh.jpg

PS exclusives on PC day 1 …. That’s just way too anti-consumer

TrebleShot

Money.

Gaming division is Sony's most important division for years. Their latest quarterly financials werent good (stock dropped 7% in one day a few weeks ago). The company's overall performance lives and dies with the gaming division.

So the best way to make quick gains is to jack up the price of sub services assuming the overall gains in revenue (net benefit comparing price increase vs people who quit subbing). They also announced their PS5 system sales were below expectations so thats why they did a $100 price drop too. The gain in subs pricing will make up and more for losing $100/unit on each hardware sold too.

The justification is quite simple:
1. Near-hyperinflationary pressure. Not just of the last 2-3 years, by the way, but since the last time they increased the price of PSN.
2. It actually costs money to provide these services, contrary to what people think.
3. They can do it.
4. These are probably going to be the prices for a good 4-5+ years. How long was a year of PS+ (essential) priced at 60 bucks? The vast majority of last generation, if memory serves.
Well my point is the average consumer will be thinking , ok the price has gone up but are they offering me for that price hike.

It’s quite significant so it’s a bit different to say Netflix upping prices so as a customer your wondering if you’ll get better games or a new service.

xHunter

I'm curious.

For a lot of gaming, you hear and read about regions like South America, Russia and maybe some more with dirt cheap games. So cheap, it's like they give them away.

For these companies and user profiles, is it that easy to just pick Argentina, get dirt cheap games and the e-store and console/PC will allow it? Or are the systems smart enough to only allow the ISP location locking you into that region?

Hell, if I knew gaming would be that cheap in the 2000s when I played online gaming on console for the first time (360), I would had made a South American account, get games for cheap and try to switch all game options and system dashboard settings to english mode.
Does it work if you have a US PSN account ?

edit: I mean, like how you can redeem cheaper codes from CDKeys on Xbox, is the same possible on PS+ for a US based account ?

Its certainly not as easy as on xbox but in summary you just create a dummy account with a turkish adress that has your PS5/PS4 as his primary console. After that you need a working turkish proxy (some proxies are blocked, you will get an error when you try to buy stuff) and a visa card to top up your wallet. Games are also cheaper, but recently they have upped the prices. For example i payed 899 TL for Spider Man 2 Deluxe Edition which is about 30$ now. But since then they raised the price to 1699TL, which is still less than regional prices in EU, but not as good. As of today PS+ Deluxe (without streaming) is 460 TL. Like i said, if you dont care about cloud saves and some stuff like ingame guides and only care about multiplayer and the games you get, this is the cheapest option.

Gold Member
Eh I have 6 months of Extra left, will be dropping back down to Essential after that. Don’t really use it enough to justify a price hike, even if it’s only £16 🤷‍♂️

X-Wing

Looking at this poll by IGN, looks like gamers aren't taking this price hike too well if this is anywhere near representative of gamers at large (or at least those with a PlayStation console):

2G3RHer.png

I find this curious since 1 year of Premium is still cheaper than 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate. No one ever complained about the prices there.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I find this curious since 1 year of Premium is still cheaper than 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate. No one ever complained about the prices there.
You’re making the mistake of comparing the services.

Both of these things are true:

£155.88 for a year of Game Pass Ultimate is a rip off.

£59/£99/£119 for a year of PS Plus is a rip off.

Also, yes. Lots of people complained and rightfully ridiculed Xbox for increasing the price of Game Pass.

sinnergy

Maintenance on servers costs money , been saying that for years, when Xbox live was Paid and Sonys solution was free .. look how the tables have turned

cormack12

Gold Member
homer-coin.gif

You basically have to boil down to what value you get from it personally. I can only ever remember the sub being £40 from PS4 onwards, though it may have been cheaper and I can't remember.

It's £60 a year so that's £5 a month. I've spent like hundreds of hours in games like Division, Fifa, RDO and I also PS+ share so on the surface it seems value for money. The other tiers look way too aggressive though.

There are other services I sub to that I get less from, so in terms of cancelling and considering which sub gets me the most entertainment plus, like gamepass, are both fine with me. However the timing is shocking.

I would obviously prefer no price increases, but here we are. All you can do is assess whether the price is now fair for you.

I'm tired of every fucking service increasing their prices without increasing their output.
People got blinded by initial disruptive offers. Every fucking service outbid their competitors, if they were even some. First step in all sub offer plans were to be the de facto only or at least dominant platform. Spotify achieved that mostly I think, Apple music and amazon music doing okay too. Netflix couldn't because Amazon and Disney and others prevented it. Music industry can hardly tank as hard as movie and shows, production costs practically nothing, but in the netflix world they all increased output way beyond what the creatives actually can fill with good content, hence we got all sorts of questionable expensive to produce content lately. Gaming is the same. While we wait already many years for games from our favorite studios longer than before, the output overall is high and more than a single person can digest. Asking for even more, because of chump change sub fees, is just odd.

Risking your 70 per pop industry for a practically more than you can ever eat buffet for the price of two games, is kinda insane, especially day one is straight up harakiri and leading customers in the f2p mindset hell of the smartphone world where practically every game is critisized for costing anything.
Enjoy it while it lasts, but expecting price dumping prices forever is kinda ignorant.

Hudo

I feel like both Microsoft and Sony realize that they get their money from microtransactions made in free-to-play games on their platform. Would be counter-productive to paywall this. And also: Epic and the Genshin Impact guys have enough leverage with their games that they can actually say "if you start to charge for online-play for our games, you're essentially attacking our business model. So we gonna leave your platform."

Kupfer

Hopefully there will be a sale of ps+ sub prices around black friday time, if not I'll probably sub for 1 more year of extra and see if that year provides enough value for the price.
Even if they "grant" us the usual 33% discount, in many regions it'll still be more expensive than today.

EDIT:

Also crossposting this:
If you want to set an example, you can cancel your subscription right now.
The period already paid for remains activated, but this way Sony sees directly that people are cancelling based on their decision.

It's easy,

• go to the app
  • click on PS Store (bottom centre)
  • then on the three horizontal lines at the top right
  • then subscription management

Here you can cancel the existing subscription with 2 clicks (and reactivate it if you change your mind).

Starship Troopers GIF

Last edited:

FingerBang

I might just drop it for good. Not even going back to just essential, just stop subscribing after 10 years. That's how stupid this move is.

StueyDuck

it's shite, but Sony always lead the charge with the price hikes. I expect the others to follow soon enough.

are the services getting better though? haha of course not.

SerTally

Neo Member
I've cancelled my Premium sub, which runs until nov 2024. At that time I'll have a rethink if I want to get any of the other tiers. Might pick up Extra through a black friday deal. I actually play games on Extra a lot right now, so that service at least has real value for me. Well, as long as there are interesting games left in the library I've not played yet, because overall the games being added have been pretty disappointing as of late.

Also, Premium at 160 a year is an absolute joke. I'm surprised they had the balls to raise that price by a whopping 40. It barely offers anything over Extra. The Classics library is seriously underwhelming. Premium could at least add some first party titles like 6 months after launch, at a minimum. That might make it worth the higher costs, if only barely. Instead even those titles go straight to Extra, but only like 2 years after launch... Pretty clear Sony have no clue what to actually do with the Premium tier to make it worth the extra 40 a year.

Gotta be honest, I've only used the PS5 the last 3 years because I've gone 100% console, but this stuff + the general state of the PS Plus service (like removing 1st party tiles from the Extra library) + the insane 220 pricetag of the Edge controller + Sony's apparent shift to GAAS games in the near future are all really off-putting... Might have to consider alternatives in the near future, like xbox or pc.

Sorcerer

How is that?

PS has a very loyal base that will not jump ship unless something major happens...

Xbox is slowly becoming a "bring your own device" kinda of service so people will just be in and out of that all time
Sorry i was a little unclear, I didn't mean that PS owners and Xbox owners will switch to Nintendo, (they would be more on the PC side anyway, just that Nintendo could look more saintly. (But chances are they will do something do anger fans as well, why not?) LOL!!!

I want to go from Premium to Extra. Do i need to wait until my subscription runs out to re-subscribe?
Do my saves get erased if i wait for a subscription to run out and re-subscribe again the next day or one of the next few days? Anyone knows how this works?

Zuzu

- Increased the price of the PS5 console
- Increased the price of games to $70US
- Pro controller for $220US
- VR Headset for the price of a console. Hardly any support of the device with must-have AAA games.
- Limited remote play device for $200US
- Massive spending and push into GAAS. I believe they're spending more on GAAS than traditional gaming.
- Hardly any first party games in 2023
- An incoming new PS5 model which will separate the console from the disc drive which will inevitably push more people towards digital only and further bring on the future of a Sony-only walled garden PS store that will be the only place where we can buy games.

& now we have a big price increase for the subscriptions.

Arrogant Sony is back.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
- Increased the price of the PS5 console
- Increased the price of games to $70US
- Pro controller for $220US
- VR Headset for the price of a console. Hardly any support of the device with must-have AAA games.
- Limited remote play device for $200US
- Massive spending and push into GAAS. I believe they're spending more on GAAS than traditional gaming.
- Hardly any first party games in 2023
- An incoming new PS5 model which will separate the console from the disc drive which will inevitably push more people towards digital only and further bring on the future of a Sony-only walled garden PS store that will be the only place where we can buy games.

& now we have a big price increase for the subscriptions.

Arrogant Sony is back.

I agree with the sentiment, but a lot of what you are describing is happening industrywide.

xrnzaaas

I want to go from Premium to Extra. Do i need to wait until my subscription runs out to re-subscribe?
Do my saves get erased if i wait for a subscription to run out and re-subscribe again the next day or one of the next few days? Anyone knows how this works?
I think it takes a few months for the cloud saves to be erased. You might encounter a problem though if you played games through streaming and now want to play digital copies.

xrnzaaas

Wait, the cloud saves get deleted? This is fucked up.
Well they're part of the sub (unlike Gold/Game Pass). Unfortunately this is kinda like a ransom situation - you either pay for the sub to have them or risk losing them forever if your console breaks down (since USB backups are unavailable for PS5 titles).

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I'm tired of every fucking service increasing their prices without increasing their output. Netflix, Disney+, MAX, Sony, etc. can all kiss my ass at this point. COVID really had their heads in the clouds and gave them all false hope for a new future.
That is always the strategy. Get as many customers as possible, then increase the price.

I have cancelled a few weeks ago, I barely played the games I bought, let alone all the PS+ free offering. Will get Portal to play on the couch in piece. As I get older I prefer much more less, but better quality. Having said that I don't see myself investing in another console at least for the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Generic

Well they're part of the sub (unlike Gold/Game Pass). Unfortunately this is kinda like a ransom situation - you either pay for the sub to have them or risk losing them forever if your console breaks down (since USB backups are unavailable for PS5 titles).
Well, RIP all my PS3 saves...

Top Bottom