• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you buy/renew your PS Plus membership now prices have increased.

Will you buy or renew your membership?

• Yes. I don't care

• Hell no

• Not sure yet

• I don't have PS Plus

Results are only viewable after voting.

taizuke

I was actually considering Extra days before Sea of Stars release. For $18 more, I would have access to the game for the remaining 160 days of my subscription. Pretty good deal when the game is $35.

But, I did some research, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of PS Plus Extra games not always being available. Also, aside from Rachet and Clank: Rift Apart (which I haven't played) and 1 or 2 other games, there really isn't much Extra offers to me. However, for a $100 I would've maybe thought about it the next time I renew, which is in January.

But, after this price hike... it's so much harder to consider it. So, I decided to buy Sea of Stars instead. I may still consider Extra, but it would have to be an insane deal come Christmas and add more games that I'm interested in. If not, I'll stick with Essential, which I always wait for a deal anyway.

Last edited:
I ditched Sony's platform long ago and don't plan on coming back. The games catalog is sub-par, the monthly games are complete horse manure and they simply can't justify the pricing.

Nah, I'm good with Gamepass which is:

A) A LOT cheaper (I pay 7 bucks a month for ultimate)
B) Usable on 2 platforms in stead of one

Yeah fuck Sony in the ass with their overly expensive "service". This coming from a long time Playstation user.
so what you're saying is...

It's the best deal in gaming™?

Anyways, Im cancelling. I was a fool to sign up for a sub service anyways. Honestly, I find them repulsive and consider my signing up for a year of psplus to me a personal moral failure.

I canceled mine. I do a lot of online gaming on Xbox, the PlayStation is mostly just a single player game station for me. Moving forward I’ll just play online on Xbox or pc, not paying this much for a service I barely touch.

If they ever do day one first party games in their service I might come back.

Last edited:

aclar00

Gotta check to see when mine expires, but i think its either Dec or January. Likely will not renew unless there is a black friday deal or they announce worthwhile changes. Other than not, it's looking highly unlikely. I only have essential tier for online play but i havent done that much lately. Just started Elden Ring, but havent played online yet.

Only digital games i buy are PSVR2 games and those are few and far between for me, so i wont miss the PS+ discounts.

We will be cancelling Hulu and Disney+ soon too. Just not enough quality conent on many of the services, including PS+ to justify the price increase they all are trying to dish out.

Strangle

Neo Member
Premium was already a joke at their asking price but now its a disgrace

Slowly moving to more and more PC gaming honestly

Alicia Silverstone Reaction GIF

I’ve abandoned consoles for PC, mostly due to the lack of true console selling exclusives and because of the online subscriptions on console

NickFire

I cancelled my auto-renew after they announced it. Still have a few months remaining. My plan is to see how much I will really miss out on no paid online if I don't resub. Couldn't care less about the old games I will lose access to. 95% of them are either old first party games or pure crap.

All told, it probably comes down to how good is this year's COD, and do I care about playing it instead of Warzone once my sub expires.

Solidus_T

My Spotify and Youtube premium memberships also increased in the past year. I'll probably cancel Spotify and jeep PS Plus Essential. These subscriptions are getting excessive.

just_jr

hasn't renewed since aug 8th after being subscribed since 2011 because I'm not playing online anymore. Let's see if the black friday deals will be good then maybe I'll get back

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
My Spotify and Youtube premium memberships also increased in the past year. I'll probably cancel Spotify and jeep PS Plus Essential. These subscriptions are getting excessive.
I know Spotify Premium only increased %10 ($9.99 to $10.99) here in the US, which while annoying isn’t as ridiculous as a %33 increase out of nowhere that Sony is trying to sneak-fuck into.

NickFire

I know Spotify Premium only increased %10 ($9.99 to $10.99) here in the US, which while annoying isn’t as ridiculous as a %33 increase out of nowhere that Sony is trying to sneak-fuck into.
They weren't sneaky or gentle about it. And when they were done they threw a dirty towel at us (a/k/a Saints Row).

Mithos

I chose "not sure yet".
I might if I feel like it just buy a month PS+ twice a year to keep my cloud saves "safe and active".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a pure profit gainer. Unless they got something under their sleave which I doubt (they would had announced it)

- 33% price increase (Canada was 36%)
- No new features
- Announced it the week before Labour Day weekend and Starfield early access came out
- One week notice. Unless a gamer keeps up with news, I bet most people didnt even know about the price increase until after. They were too busy getting kids ready for school next week and any final Labour Day chilling or holidays. And then when they get back.... Bam. 33% price hike
- I thought maybe as a first perk, Helldivers 2 would be free for Extra/Prem tiers. They announced launch date of 2024, but no price announced in the communication, so I was thinking maybe it'll be free. It's a low budget GAAS game anyway. Then the next week they announce pricing and it's $40 (double H1)

Solidus_T

Nice username!
but yeah Spotify is certainly a less egregious offender for what they charge us, but still awful for what they do to musicians who aren't mega famous.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I was looking around for cheaper ways to extend my Essential membership for cloud saves mainly, and I can't find anything. $79.99 is just so much money for this service, and I can't believe there isn't more uproar. Any suggestions for a cheap sub anywhere?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Subscription services are a fallacy. Filled with AA mid tier games.

I’m going back to PS+ essential when my premium sub expires. I have more than enough quality games to probably tide me over for a good few years. We all need to be much more adversarial with these companies and force them to work hard to get our cash.

Not go round thinking they can buy up the competition and that’s somehow success. Make your developers create good games, but hey Phil doesn’t think that will win them customers, clown CEO.

Last edited:

Housh

I got 2 years of premium left. After that probably get essentials if I haven't completely drifted off into PCMR for good.

[Sigma]

No, im going down to Essential(currently Premium). I wouldn't even do that if Helldivers 2 wasn't coming out soon and I didn't play SF6 online. My Premium expires in November. I will likely not even buy the Essential at that time and just wait til Hellidvers 2 arrives. I'll wait to see if theirs a sale for PS Extra during that time and if not, it's down to Essential when Helldivers 2 is out(and i'll likely buy it off cdkeys since they usually have it a little cheaper than psn).

Neon Xenon

The last time I had a PS Plus subscription was back when I was still playing my PS3 frequently, which is too many years back for me to remember. Even when I did get a PS4 Pro off Ebay (the guy who sold it even put in a 1TB SSD, that was very cool of him), I still didn't sign up for PS Plus at all. No need, since I don't play anything online with it.

So basically, the PS Plus price hike does not affect me personally, but I still think it sucks.

Last edited:
I voted not sure yet a while ago, but I just cancelled. Apparently it renewed in June so I still have it for almost a year, but I just don’t use it. Game Pass is much, much better.

odhiex

I would downgrade it to extra, did not played enough the classic games.

No way I want to loose the whole bunch of games that I have redeemed throughout the years. Lol.

At least, essential is a must for me.

AmuroChan

I've never bought PS+ at full price and I have it stacked until 2028. So personally it's not really an issue I need to worry about at this point. I think my approach remains the same regardless. I will wait for those big flash sales where PS+ is massively discounted. Then I just buy a bunch of the annual subs and stack them for multiple years.

Top Bottom