• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you buy/renew your PS Plus membership now prices have increased.

Will you buy or renew your membership?

• Yes. I don't care

• Hell no

• Not sure yet

• I don't have PS Plus

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eimran

Sony decided to increase their prices for PS Plus with an astronomical 33% for all tiers. Prices are changing within a week:

$20 increase for essential. $59.99 -> $79.99
$35 increase for extra. $99.99 -> $134.99
$40 increase for premium. $119.99 -> $159.99

Considering I bought the premium for the classics library and how poor it has been so far (compared to the vast Playstation library) I can say Sony can eat it and I'm not renewing.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Premium was already a joke at their asking price but now its a disgrace

Slowly moving to more and more PC gaming honestly

Alicia Silverstone Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Both consoles this generation have me looking more and more twords the PC. If they don't offer PRO models soon I'm gonna be going back to PC.

Reactions: Isa
I have Playstation for their single player exclusives only, so this doesn't affect me much. I will say that I had entertained the idea of subbing to extra just so I had access to more games, but at that price I can just wait and buy their exclusives on a discount.

Portugeezer

It's a shit price. If it was up to me, no, I wouldn't renew.

But I will reluctantly renew it because my friends want to play online with me.

Edit: anyone paying for premium only has one answer.

Last edited:

Bond007

Unfortunately this is what we have allowed happen to gaming.
We thought Xbox Live was ok to pay for back in the day and now its essentially almost mandatory across the board. From Online services, pay to play, unfinished games to DLC we constantly move the goal post as to what we consider bargains for what we pay for. Ultimately the best bargains were free online and completed games.
Shame and in this case im guilty aswell. I will however speak with my money as best as i can and will be downgrading to essential when my year is up. With my Xbox, i only purchase gamepass when i need it.

nikos

I haven't renewed since they introduced tiers. Had all of their services from day one, even Qore. I hadn't been using it lately anyway since I'm almost always gaming on PC.

RespawnX

Let's face it, as long as these services are needed for online gaming, there is no alternative anyway. Sony doesn't even offer online save backups without Plus. So the 33% price increase at essential is the real thing.
Well, the price increase was to be expected after the missed sales targets. Console prices down for more adopters and subscription prices up. We can hope that the European laws for alternative app stores will be extended to consoles in the medium term. The big three really need some pressure there needs to be much more competition here.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sony decided to increase their prices for PS Plus with an astronomical 33% for all tiers. Prices are changing within a week:

$20 increase for essential. $59.99 -> $79.99
$35 increase for extra. $99.99 -> $134.99
$40 increase for premium. $119.99 -> $159.99

Considering I bought the premium for the classics library and how poor it has been so far (compared to the vast Playstation library) I can say Sony can eat it and I'm not renewing.
At least play Medievil Resurrection first. Great game, arguably better than the remake, at least to me it is.

Fbh

Nope.
Once my subscription runs out next year I'm probably not renewing unless there's a big change (better and newer games being offered).

This just reinforces my desire to switch over to PC and finally be done with consoles as soon as I can afford it.

Osthyvel

All these increases on games, subscription etc.... will bite them back in their a*s down the road. I have spent and are spending A LOT of money on this hobby, but i am starting to change many things in my behavior. I really hope that more of you do vote with your wallets.

And ontopic, yeah playstation is and has always been my main and i need plus to play online. Keep buying essential on black friday. Gamepass though, sorry, have to cut the expenses somewhere.

Last edited:
I just want everyone to know that Netflix was the first one to shoot this bullet. Everyone else following suit, all did this because Netflix did it first and succeeded. I knew it would eventually spread to game subscriptions but I didn't think it would happen this quickly.

Thyuda

That increase is simply insane. I have a ps5, didn't pay for it before and will most certainly not pay for it now. They must've lost their minds.

Mr Hyde

Haven't payed for PS Plus since 2 years ago and I'm sure as hell ain't going to start now. I love my PS5 but modern day Sony can suck it. They have been straight up awful for the past three years. Super expensive games, services and accessories. GaaS-focus instead of SP focus. Silent treatment against their fanbase. I hope the current management goes up in flames, we need fresh blood.

Kerotan

If you've a problem with any of these prices buy a year worth when they go 25% off on sale.

Will I be renewing? No because I had the brains to buy a few years worth on sale and then got the special upgrade rate to premium.

Sorted until October 28 and I'll buy an extra year worth of premium on sale in 2027.

Also worth keeping in mind Sony are probably going to get bigger games on the service with the extra cash and maybe even bring their first party sooner.

Last edited:

Edmund

I might downgrade to essential from extra but let's see. I usually stack membership during Black Friday sales.

Hell no for me. Used it only to play GT7 online sometimes (and to see the messages from other players in the Souls games), but seems like the focus now is all on the "free" games offer.

Fredrik

Not without some changes like dropping the 1st party delays or adding more big third party games, I only use the service for games I wouldn’t have bought at full price anyway as of right now.

Fbh

Jim Ryan laughing to the bank like HAHAHA

This is true.
I doubt this will change anything or have any notable effect on subscription numbers.
Their main customer isn't "hardcore gamers" on forums. It's the people playing Fifa and COD that aren't going to stop doing those things or buy/build a PC because of a $1,7 monthly increase.

As long as Sony continues being the default HD console with no strong competition they can basically "get away" with anything they want. Wouldn't be surprised if they raise the prices again in 1-2 years if some of their GAAS become a hit.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Premium was renewed for 59 in April, because I had Now before. I have to see how much they bill me. If its too high, I cancel. Right now I only play SF6 online now and then. I am not going to pay 80 just for online, no way.

Last edited:

Rambone

I should probably check and see when mine is up. I'm not likely to renew here and just leave it whatever bare minimum is needed to play online.

Top Bottom