• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Games for March: Broforce, Galak-Z, More

Welp.

I guess I'll let my PS+ sub lapse this month.

+1

At this point, I'm pretty much only re-subbing to PS+ in 3-month increments. If there's some kind of PS+ deal I pick up a code or two on the cheap ($10 or less) and wait for a good month. Thing is, I keep my XBL sub current since I much prefer multiplayer/online gaming in the Xbone ecosystem (+ the elite controller), so for me PS+ is kinda redundant unless there's a solid game rental in a particular month.

PS+ games generally rocked for several months when I first signed up in mid-2013 but its been pixel-art/indie overload for the past year. Since I already own most of the cheapy indies on Steam there's not a lot of value there most months.

On a side note, one thing I really dislike about PS+ is if you download a monthly game rental the system prevents you from purchasing the game if it goes on sale later. This is something MS got right with Xbone and I wish Sony would finally fix this. It's annoying as hell not to be able to buy a game I have on plus because the system thinks I already "own" it. The system as it currently works actually incentivizes letting plus lapse if I want to buy a plus game for my permanent digital collection.

El_Cinefilo

Right, but I don't normally rant about this, but people are comparing it to Lords of Fallen on another side and bringing up that it's a whole $60 on PSN like that's something to aim for is frustrating. If you already had an interest in it, you would have surely grabbed it under $20, right? Like I did and found it was hot garbage. I love the pivot into brand new releases coming out so I get games I don't already own.

To me, saying I want high budget games isn't the same as asking for those specific movies you were saying. You just want high profile, high budget stuff, so have Thief or Knack since everyone likes ripping on the little guy. Have your Transformers 42 or Pixels to compare it to movies as asking for AAA is asking for things with no regards to it actually being good.

I agree that personally I'd rather have Broforce than Lords of Fallen. I think the people who want Knack or Killzone over Rocket League and such are nuts, But it's still a valid opinion. I think the problem is that PS+ earned a lot of it's current subscribers by giving away lots of good AAA games on PS3, I think PS4 has been out long enough now that there's lots of decent AAA PS4 games that are old enough and go for similar prices to the Indies they're giving away that they could give out and make lot's of people happy (Alien: Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within, Dying Light, Battliefield 4/Hardline, Bordelands collection, LBP 3, Dragon Age, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein New Order/Old Blood, Transformers: Devestation etc)

Hasney

I agree that personally I'd rather have Broforce than Lords of Fallen. I think the people who want Knack or Killzone over Rocket League and such are nuts, But it's still a valid opinion. I think the problem is that PS+ earned a lot of it's current subscribers by giving away lots of good AAA games on PS3, I think PS4 has been out long enough now that there's lots of decent AAA PS4 games that are old enough and go for similar prices to the Indies they're giving away that they could give out and make lot's of people happy (Alien: Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within, Dying Light, Battliefield 4/Hardline, Bordelands collection, LBP 3, Dragon Age, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein New Order/Old Blood, Transformers: Devestation etc)

And I'm fine with people wanting specific games or genres. But arbitrarily asking for a budget a game was made at or even a bad game that used to be sold at $60 because it represents "better value", despite the fact it's easily found below $20 now, is just so frustrating. It feels like if I charged $60 for a kick to the nuts and Sony gave it away on PS+, some people would be happy.

If Sony is reading this, I'm willing to give away the $100 collector edition where it comes with a second kick to the nuts, the moment immortalized in a photograph that I will sign and the shoe that hit their testicles.

PS+ has consistently been disappointing for me since joining last November. I've played GWG offerings much more.

My friend's 11 year old loves them though. The style of game PS+ offers has been much more appealing to him that GWG.

I did get excited about Grim Fandango and actually got it on cross play for my Vita too. That said, when I picked it up I realised that game mechanics/capabilities had moved on so much since it's heyday that it held no interest for me any more.

I understand both sides of the argument, really. Indie games can offer great mechanics and dying benefits like local multi-player, but equally I loved those 8/16 bit games at the time because they represented the cutting edge at the time. When I upgraded to my Megadrive, my Master System 2 became dead to me. I just moved on. So I can understand people feeling they get better value if they received a current gen-style game for their current gen machine.

Banzai

I'm usually fine with Indie or smaller games, but I do wish we could get a big retail game at least every once in a while for PS4.

Eh, thats a pretty boring choice for ps4 there. Galak z looks sort of cool, but I really dont understand why everyone is crazy about bro force

The selection isn't all that great this month for me, personally, although I will probably grab Galak Z.

For anyone that has played it, how is the difficulty? Are there difficulty options? Because, I'll be honest, I typically suck at this type of game, even if I do find them fun. But playing the same level a hundred times because I suck wears thin pretty fast.

Yea really at this point i'm downloading them as a formality more than anything else. Haven't been interested in SO many of these games, like seriously amount of AAA games isn't super small anymore. Many are two years old at least. It also doesn't help that the constant indie focus makes me hesitant to actually buy indies since they may show up on PS+ a couple months later.
yep. I started broken age at this point it feels like half a year ago and I do intend on finishing it...and then there's grim fandango, too. the only psplus I ever got that I played the fuck out of was rocket league

Might I recommend you this while you wait for the store to update?
http://www.miniclip.com/games/commando-3/en/#t-c-f-C
It should make the wait easier.

I can't access because I'm at work, but I guess you're saying that Broforce is similar in quality to a free flash game, correct? I mean that's such a shallow assessment of the game that I don't know where to start. Do you really think that the game would get a Metacritic of 83, positive steam reviews and a positive Giant Bomb Quick Look (back when it just launched in early access to boot) if that was all it is? Maybe you should give the game a try before dismissing it out of hand? Or maybe everyone else are just sheeple who need to wake up from the wool pulled over our eyes from dastardly indie developers?

Are you this guy?

iAICUwe.jpg

That "free flash game" is actually pretty good.

Whew

Cool. If that's the case, I'll give it a shot later, and I'm sorry I snapped at Walpurgis if it was a genuine recommendation (also, I guess it's a bit ironic that I judged it before playing it).

Pinewood

I can't access because I'm at work, but I guess you're saying that Broforce is similar in quality to a free flash game, correct? I mean that's such a shallow assessment of the game that I don't know where to start. Do you really think that the game would get a Metacritic of 83, positive steam reviews and a positive Giant Bomb Quick Look (back when it just launched in early access to boot) if that was all it is? Maybe you should give the game a try before dismissing it out of hand? Or maybe everyone else are just sheeple who need to wake up from the wool pulled over our eyes from dastardly indie developers?

Are you this guy?

iAICUwe.jpg

That "free flash game" is actually pretty good.

Whew

rob305

Yawn, still waiting for a reason to get PS+. I really hope Sony get their shit together and start offering meaningful AAA titles. I dont care if theyre old, just give me AAA and not games that could be played on phones

There has been a few great indies for PS4+ no doubt, but the service is garbage compared to what it was.

I'd cancel if it wasn't for multiplayer, which I guess is why we get mostly indies nowdays.

Rellik

I'm not sure when my sub runs out, but I'm currently leaning to the side of not renewing it because these offerings are getting brutal.

But I really don't understand people like rob305 above who just wants a game because it's classed as AAA :s I'd like some better games, sure. But the best games I've had off Plus so far were Resogun and Rocket League, 2 indie games. I'd take them over Knack and Killzone.

The selection isn't all that great this month for me, personally, although I will probably grab Galak Z.

For anyone that has played it, how is the difficulty? Are there difficulty options? Because, I'll be honest, I typically suck at this type of game, even if I do find them fun. But playing the same level a hundred times because I suck wears thin pretty fast.

Love this game.

Took me a bit to get the hang of it, but I find the play mechanics to be a lot of fun. I think there's enough variety to how you can approach/combat enemies that it makes the randomized levels and replaying the same chapters more tolerable.

Starting over from the beginning also allows you to build up a super-powered ship by the time you get to later chapters. With the random assortment of upgrades you'll have a pretty different configuration each time. Still not sure if Part 5 has been released.

People have to remember that different games hold different value to different people. This month is a great example. I have been waiting and hoping that Galak Z would be on PS+ since it came out. I resisted buying it even when it was on sale. So I'm really happy that it's coming.

As for Bro Force, I know nothing about it. But I'm excited to try it.

Weird how some months people will say "This month sucks" and I agree. And then this month people say the same thing, and I disagree completely. No games they give us are going to satisfy everyone. Even Rocket League, which gets the most love...I just couldn't get into it.

I don't understand people like this.

i mean i can totally get it if youre a PS3 PS+ player because sheesh, that has to be the worst month in years and there's no arguing against that.

The Vita is what it is, it's library is mostly indie games so you'll mostly get indie games.

And the PS4 stuff is fine. Sure, Broforce is an ancient game if you've kept up with it on PC but Galak-Z is a relatively new game with pretty great reviews.

I'm usually happy if I can find at least one game each month to play so having 2 this month (Galak-Z & Flame Over) means that it's been the best month for me in a while

Kill3r7

It is what it is at this point. PS+ now is primarily a multiplayer service with indie games thrown in. I do not mind it but at the same time I have had to change/adjust my expectations. The middle years of the service during the PS3 era were truly amazing and something that we could not expect Sony to continue doing.

Qwark

The Vita is what it is, it's library is mostly indie games so you'll mostly get indie games.

I would be fine if the Vita selection was only Indie, providing it's good Indie (like the PS4 selects), but Reality Fighters is neither Indie, nor good.

PS4 is really the only good selection here. Flame On is pretty decent too, but 3/6 isn't a very good offering.

MMaRsu

Banned
I can. Sony definitely aren't trying as much as they were when they first introduced the service. It's been piss poor for like a year now.

its not piss poor lol. They have givrn out great games that reviewed great. Perhaps they are not your liking, maybe just buy the aaa games you want.

Its not like they arent trying, the normal ps4 games are selling well enough that they dont need to be given out on ps+. With all the sales, you could have gotten mostly all early ps4 games for 10/15 bucks.

Ps4 is selling well enough, the games arent the biggest value for ps+ anymore, its online gaming.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yawn, still waiting for a reason to get PS+. I really hope Sony get their shit together and start offering meaningful AAA titles. I dont care if theyre old, just give me AAA and not games that could be played on phones

Shut up with this bullshit man. Can you show me where I can play these on my phone? Oh thats right, you cant. Just buy the old AAA titles you want since they are on sale all the time.

Rocket League
Outlast
Mgs Ground Zeroes
Infamous first light
Injustice
Super Meat Boy
Broken Age
Styx
Rogue Legacy
OlliOlli 2

Just a few great ps+ games.

Shut up with this bullshit man. Can you show me where I can play these on my phone? Oh thats right, you cant. Just buy the old AAA titles you want since they are on sale all the time.

Rocket League
Outlast
Mgs Ground Zeroes
Infamous first light
Injustice
Super Meat Boy
Broken Age
Styx
Rogue Legacy
OlliOlli 2

Just a few great ps+ games from this last year.

Yeah, it has been absolutely fantastic. OlliOlli 2 was my personal GOTY.

Love this game.

Took me a bit to get the hang of it, but I find the play mechanics to be a lot of fun. I think there's enough variety to how you can approach/combat enemies that it makes the randomized levels and replaying the same chapters more tolerable.

Starting over from the beginning also allows you to build up a super-powered ship by the time you get to later chapters. With the random assortment of upgrades you'll have a pretty different configuration each time. Still not sure if Part 5 has been released.

Rock on. Thanks for the tips and insight. It looks fun, so I will definitely give it a whirl.

firelogic

Super Stardust HD
Really? I mean it's a great game but everyone already has it. It was even one of the free games they offered as part of the welcome back program

Not everyone on the planet had a PS3 when you had one at the time of the welcome back promotion. I'd say they sold another 30-40 million of them since then. The bulk of that in North America.

Koyuga

Only decent game on that list in Super Stardust, and Galak-Z.
And poor Vita. Reality fighter? Really? Sony is really scraping the bottom of the barrel this month.

Flandy

Not everyone on the planet had a PS3 when you had one at the time of the welcome back promotion. I'd say they sold another 30-40 million of them since then. The bulk of that in North America.

The games literally been a dollar in flash sales since then. Pretty poor choice considering how many people likely have it already

Hasney

Only decent game on that list in Super Stardust, and Galak-Z.
And poor Vita. Reality fighter? Really? Sony is really scraping the bottom of the barrel this month.

Considering everything Sony has published on the Vita, then the fact that some publishers just don't want to be on Plus for that flat fee and that because EU and US are tied together now, some games have different publishers making negotiations more difficult, that Vita barrel is going to be running empty.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

RAIDEN1

In the absence of any triple -A demos these days, you'd expect that Sony would do a lot better in terms of free PS+ games for the PS4, instead of (what looks to me ) just the indie scene...gone are the days where on the PS3 you had the likes of Jak and Daxter trilogy or sleeping dogs, to name but a few as great free titles to add to the collection....

Mentok

Banned
Sweet, going to grab both Galak-Z and Broforce! I just wished Sony would copy MS' GWG and let you keep the games.

EDIT: 360 GWG, not One.

Top Bottom