• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

AlexBasch

So do any 2.5" SATA drives work on the PS3? I only have a 160GB sitting at 17 gigs free. I've been on the lookout for a good deal on a hard drive but then I realized I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Replaced the HDD with a random 160GB HDD I got from a dead laptop. Worked just fine.

alterno69

Banned
Is such a thing as too many free games even possible?

yesitis.jif

My 120gb Slim can't hold the awesome. I had to erase SFIV and The Line as well as my digital version of The Show 13 to make room for Saints and BF3 :(

jvm

Gamasutra.
Posting in epic thread!

Thanks to Canis lupus for taking over the thread ownership. I will continue to be here as an active poster.

The angry sackboy finally became relieved now that people are playing LBP Karting.
Angry sackboy is still here. I'm amused to be recalled by my avatar. :D

From last thread:
8dF1z6Q.png

Snakeyes

You may also want to add that Trophies earned with the IGC are yours to keep, even when not subscribed to Plus. Other than that, I think you covered everything of note.

Duster

To play through the games in the June EU update would have took over a 100 hours, it's impossible to play to play them all.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How long do cloud saves last if your subscription expire? I never got a clear answer on that...

Also, wow, that EU list rapes the NA one. Not fair. :\ Why can't it just be the same games? Grrr.

How long do cloud saves last if your subscription expire? I never got a clear answer on that...

Also, wow, that EU list rapes the NA one. Not fair. : Why can't it just be the same games? Grrr.

They said when it was introduced that your cloud saves would be kept for 6 months without a subscription, but you obviously can only get access to them again if you renew.

Mhm what's the best way to get all the goodness? Do I really have to exchange the internal HDD?

I'm scared

It's very straightforward to change the HDD, it has its own slot in the bottom front, so you exchange out without opening the PS3.

Guide: gamespot.com/features/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive-6176090/

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So do any 2.5" SATA drives work on the PS3? I only have a 160GB sitting at 17 gigs free. I've been on the lookout for a good deal on a hard drive but then I realized I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Any 9.5mm 2.5" SATA drive should work. The 12.5mm ones are too tall and don't fit inside the HDD caddy.

Also, wow, that EU list rapes the NA one. Not fair. :\ Why can't it just be the same games? Grrr.
They don't expire. They used to say something like 6 months, but they never actually deleted anything after the 6 months and now they're just saying:

Q: If I leave Plus and come back, will by Online Game Saves still be there as I left them?

A: Yes. If your Plus membership lapses and you had game save data in the ONline Game Save storage for Plus, it will all be there when you come back to Plus. Of course, this data can be transferred locally to your HDD at anytime as well, but you must have your Plus access to do so.

http://community.us.playstation.com...-Questions/PlayStation-Plus-FAQ/td-p/37512373

I got a PS3 last month that came with 1 year of PS+. My PSN alias is SolarBlack (add me if you dare). I would change it to my GAF name to be more consistent, but this is a playstation account I've had for like a decade now.

Cess007

What's the biggest HDD size you can install on the PS3. I've 250 and every single month i'm deleting stuff to make space :(

libregkd

Battlefield 3 is the first PS+ game I haven't actually downloaded because of of harddrive space. I've been thinking of picking up 1TB to replace my 500GB one..but then I think that that drive would be better saved for the PS4, ha.

May end up getting 2 new HDDs at some point though. With PS+ I think I'll be getting PS3 games for longer than I initially expected lol.

Even the Fat PS3? Is there a good tutorial for doing this?
http://www.gamespot.com/features/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive-6176090/

I did it this week and it wasn't that difficult. Below is how it went down.
Me from another forum said:
1. Removing all the installed games and their game data. ~10 minutes.
2. Using the backup utility to backup 6.5 GB of save data and a handful of Japanese PS1 games. ~15 minutes.
3. Removing the blue screw and the HDD enclosure. ~10 seconds.
4. Removing the cheapest piece of shit screws I've ever encountered. ~20 minutes.
5. Formatting new drive. ~30 seconds.
6. Restoring backup. ~15 minutes.

What's the biggest HDD size you can install on the PS3. I've 250 and every single month i'm deleting stuff to make space :(
I believe the limit is 1 TB.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They don't expire. They used to say something like 6 months, but they never actually deleted anything after the 6 months and now they're just saying:
Whoa, that's awesome. Also, I know I searched their FAQs before and never found that answer... thanks!

See, I have Demon's/Dark Souls PvP builds that I'd lose if my PS3 YLOD'ed, even if I had backups. This happened to me last year. The saves are locked, so a backup restore didn't bring them back. I have two PSN accounts (because Demon's Souls only has 4 save slots and I have more than 4 characters), so I bought PS+ on my main for the free games and all, and I did that silly PS Home Quest to get 1 free month of PS+ on my alt, which I used to copy my D-Souls saves. :D Now it'll expire in one month, and that's fine, but if my PS3 dies, I can always buy one month of PS+ to redownload my lost saves. Woo!

I don't think there's any limit, just that it needs to be a 2.5" sata drive with max height of 9.5mm (higher is a no go but I used a 7mm high one in mine without problems).

NJShadow

I wish Sony allowed game installs to external drives. My original 80GB is running out of space and it would be a lot more convenient since I already have an external drive just sitting here.

A 500GB 2.5" drive is pretty cheap these days, you may want to give Amazon a look. I've still got room on mine, and it's been several years already.

Each have their benefits. Gamefly lets you pick the games, you get them earlier, but PS+ is much cheaper.

Yea, but no one should pass up on PS+ IMO, unless they really never use their console. This guy games quite a bit. There is always something and it's not that expensive.

LayLa

Can you add to the OP something about how to check when your sub runs out?
that question kept coming up again and again on the old thread

for the webstore it's
1 hover mouse over your account name in the top right and choose "Purchase History"
2 look at the Expiration Date of any game on the list you got via PS+

don't know the procedure via console though

Joseca

Banned
Just suscribed again yesterday for the third time (3 month suscription), right now playing Sleeping Dogs and enjoying it a lot. I guess for people who doesn't
or can't :(
buy AAA games, PS+ is the best service.

So basically I need to log in every two weeks or so, find the latest games that are free, and add them to my download queue in order to keep them, right?

Is there a specific day Sony updates the store with new stuff so I know when to check?

for the webstore it's
1 hover mouse over your account name in the top right and choose "Purchase History"

On XMB it's under the PlayStation Network menu and then [Account Management] > [Transaction Management] > [Services List].

So basically I need to log in every two weeks or so, find the latest games that are free, and add them to my download queue in order to keep them, right?

Is there a specific day Sony updates the store with new stuff so I know when to check?

US is Tuesday, EU is Wednesday.

khaaan

for the webstore it's

Pffft, it's not like people read the OP once the thread starts getting big.
Still useful info to have.

N2NOther

Banned
I tried explaining to someone who told me they just got a PS3 that PS+ is a great value blah blah blah.

He said he'll be sticking with GameFly, says he doesn't need PS+.

Still can't figure that one out. Stopped trying after 5 minutes of explaining what is was. Hope he can research it on his own, but knowing him, probably not.

I get it. Gamefly you can pick the games you want. You don't have to worry about having twice the space for downloading or having all the space required.

Anyway, if there is ONE thing that Xbox has over Sony it's the fact that on Xbox you don't need twice the space and once it downloads you can play it. Can't wait till next gen.

A 500GB 2.5" drive is pretty cheap these days, you may want to give Amazon a look. I've still got room on mine, and it's been several years already.

Cost isn't really the issue, I just already have an external drive I don't really use that I could just plug in right now.

Ixion090

First I've actually played a FPS online and actually liked it, with BF3. The campaign is complete and utter garbage though, it's almost embarassing.

It's almost worth paying a second subscription to get the free EU games as well.

Wait a minute. It is worth it...

So, uh, Europeans. Where's the cheapest place to order an EU PS+ code online?

EDIT: Success, was able to check out as "guest" at GAME.co.uk. Just waiting on my code!

EDIT II: Wait, you need a second memory card to login to a different account on the Vita? Fuck that noise. I guess I have a UK PS+ code for sale now.

Alphahawk

Does Sony allow you to re-install purchased games as many times as you want like Microsoft does? I heard you only could do it 5 times or so?

New thread, cool.

About the Summer Blast sale, why is vanilla Scott Pilgrim on sale but not the Ultimate Edition? Goddammit Sony.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Does Sony allow you to re-install purchased games as many times as you want like Microsoft does? I heard you only could do it 5 times or so?
Number of activated systems, not installations.

So you could have two PS3 systems and install the game on each one 1 billion times*.

* Ok, not really, but you get the idea.

Top Bottom