• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

Tams

£290+?

The fuck is this shit? That's bordering into Deck money. Just buy a Deck.

£290 is far too much, but even at that scalped price it has advantages that might be worth it for some.

You might want your phone available for something else, or say, charging for going out later.

You might want lower latency from not streaming and using a Bluetooth controller.

You might want something that's not a brick like the Deck.

Sw0pDiller

Meanwhile in hell,

WiiU looking above and sheds a single tear
My wii u is being used at least once a month. Still love it’s games and wii BC. had some troubles with the gamepad - system connection lately so i think it is slowly dying on me. the games for the system holded me out on buying a switch. since i felt that most switch games (at least in the first 4years of it's life) were wii-u remakes. Did buy a switch in the end but sold it after a couple of months.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
You might want something that's not a brick like the Deck.
A brick of gold!

That does umpteen more things! Like play Silent Hill 3 that a Sony device should do from the off as it was originally from a Sony device!

I can see the benefits from the Portal, I really can, but, like most things these days from Sony it's just bloody pointless considering it's now reaching £300+ and does one job.

If people are going to actually pay that then good on them. Anyone else would probably want more for their bucks.

Raonak

Banned
Easily the best way to remote play.

Unlike previous playstation portable devices; it doesn't need dedicated developers. It's support can't really dry up.
It literally just needs to exist because it's an accessory for for people who use PS5 as their primary gaming device.

Ironically, it's the exact device which xbox would love to have.
A dedicated xcloud/gamepass streaming handheld would be a no brainer.

SkylineRKR

Its sold out in Netherlands as well. I don't know how many Sony shipped in the first place, but its likely a nice gadget for many right now. If this has legs it remains to be seen.

Tams

A brick of gold!

That does umpteen more things! Like play Silent Hill 3 that a Sony device should do from the off as it was originally from a Sony device!

I can see the benefits from the Portal, I really can, but, like most things these days from Sony it's just bloody pointless considering it's now reaching £300+ and does one job.

If people are going to actually pay that then good on them. Anyone else would probably want more for their bucks.

It doesn't change that it is a brick and therefore is not as nice to play with.

And people who are wanting to play their PlayStation on a handheld probably aren't that interested in a Deck.

To top it off, it'll probably sell much better than the Deck.

Don't take this as sour grapes by me. I have a handheld gaming PC, but I accept that it's a small niche. And I don't have a PlayStation, so it's my main gaming machine.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You guys are bad with money.
Confused Season 3 GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Katatonic

Unlike previous playstation portable devices; it doesn't need dedicated developers. It's support can't really dry up.
It literally just needs to exist because it's an accessory for for people who use PS5 as their primary gaming device.

Now watch the new fake narrative of PSP owners demanding gamepass.

Gambit2483

@ $150 this would have easily been the "It" Holiday tech item to get. I wonder how long it can sustain healthy sales @ $200...🤔

Last edited:

MScarpa

To the people who have the Steamdeck and ROG Ally, does this Portal do something that can't be done on the other handhelds? Just don't want to have YET ANOTHER device unless its worth it.

FrankWza

To the people who have the Steamdeck and ROG Ally, does this Portal do something that can't be done on the other handhelds? Just don't want to have YET ANOTHER device unless its worth it.
You can play all PS5 games day one with haptics and adaptive triggers. But you have time to decide if you want to pay Msrp because it's sold out everywhere anyway. They may add some nice updates

midnightAI

I can definitely see that happening, especially now Portal exists. I'm sure MS will be keeping a very close eye on sales. In fact if they could get it out quick then a USP could be 'and ours works streaming from the cloud, no XBox required'

midnightAI

Yes, the three C's;

Comfort
Controls
Convenience (it's actually simplicity, but that doesn't begin with C)

I'll also add, even though this isn't very important... Its design fits with this gens PlayStation aesthetic, it looks like a PS5 accessory and let's face it, that portal animation after you connect to the PS5 is cool as hell.

Last edited:
Yes, the the C's;

Comfort
Controls
Convenience (it's actually simplicity, but that doesn't begin with C)

I'll also add, even though this isn't very important... Its design fits with this gens PlayStation aesthetic, it looks like a PS5 accessory and let's face it, that portal animation after you connect to the PS5 is cool as hell.
All three of those things are subjective but you can do ps5 remote play on the Rog and Steam deck plus more.

But if all you care about is remote the portal makes more sense and it’s cheaper.

Brucey

I see them as in stock on Amazon and was just in stock on Best Buy (though out now on Best Buy)

Also had a friend say he grabbed one as an open box buy in a Best Buy store but was still full price even being open box
I could see there being a fair amount of returns on the portal because of people thinking it's a portable PS5.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Im still trying to figure out whats its unique selling point compared to existing mobile devices already capable of remoteplay? Its literally just a screen to use for remote play and it does not have any standalone media playback abilities that I'm aware of. So basically you're paying for a screen for remoteplay that isn't even oled at the price where you can basically buy a Nitendo switch....why would people buy this.

It says “Playstation” on it.

Top Bottom