• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

FrankWza

I think a lot of people buying the Portal for gifts for the holidays don't know you need a PS5 to make it work. We will see after the holidays how it plays out.
I think it's half way between this new excuse and the prelaunch DOA prediction. So $300 but more on Amazon because people go there before ebay and they are strict with resellers listing these items for a while now.

MScarpa

I think it's half way between this new excuse and the prelaunch DOA prediction. So $300 but more on Amazon because people go there before ebay and they are strict with resellers listing these items for a while now.
An excuse for what? It will be interesting to see how this plays out after the holidays. There will be returns, just how many is the question.

FrankWza

An excuse for what? It will be interesting to see how this plays out after the holidays.
And excuse for why it's sold out and fetching 50%+ higher markups on aftermarket sites. It went from DOA to being purchased predominantly by non-tech savvy parents and illiterates. Hopefully, all these resellers take returns because the people paying $300+ are going to have to resell themselves. Either way it has nothing to do with aftermarket. If you pay a 50-125% markup and you don't know you need a PS5....well, Theres a word for that.
There will be returns, just how many is the question.
This can be said about every retail electronics item ever. The Pulse Explore are already sold out of preorder. Maybe parents are buying them because they think they can listen to PS5 without buying one?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And excuse for why it's sold out and fetching 50%+ higher markups on aftermarket sites. It went from DOA to being purchased predominantly by non-tech savvy parents and illiterates. Hopefully, all these resellers take returns because the people paying $300+ are going to have to resell themselves. Either way it has nothing to do with aftermarket. If you pay a 50-125% markup and you don't know you need a PS5....well, Theres a word for that.

This can be said about every retail electronics item ever. The Pulse Explore are already sold out of preorder. Maybe parents are buying them because they think they can listen to PS5 without buying one?
Justb scrolling through questions and answers even on Best Buy site and see the question all the time like just the top and bottom one here, do I need a PS5 for this to work

izoDV1t.png

FrankWza

Justb scrolling through questions and answers even on Best Buy site and see the question all the time like just the top and bottom one here, do I need a PS5 for this to work

izoDV1t.png
At retailers. He was using this to explain the $450 price on Amazon. I get people might be confused but if you're actively searching it out on aftermarket sites it takes mistake returns pretty much out of he equation.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
https://thegamingwatcher.com/pages/...uments-reveal-insights-handheld-console-plans

May have partnered with Logitech instead but no reason to think they’ll scrap it considering the success of the Portal.

But this says the opposite. It says....

However, leaked documents have indicated that Xbox has no plans to develop its own Nintendo Switch or Steam Deck rival. According to the documents, handheld consoles are "not in scope" for Xbox, suggesting that they will focus primarily on their existing console and cloud gaming offerings.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I saw something the other day about check back in early December.

If Sony sold around 100k Portals in week one in Europe, then I expect they did the same in NA. And I'd guess they would have sold around 50k in Asia.

So maybe they made 250k for launch and sold out in the first week and we're taking by surprise....

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thought my nephew would be the ideal candidate for this thing and showing him mine at our Thanksgiving family gathering and he wasn't impressed at all with not being able to play it on the school bus

I guess the one I got him for Christmas will be going back to Best Buy though I am still rather enjoying mine

Rob_27

Will wait for OLED version. Happy with my G Cloud for Xbox and PS and emulating and movies. Plex etc.

This thing is only very limited PS atm

Brucey

Thought my nephew would be the ideal candidate for this thing and showing him mine at our Thanksgiving family gathering and he wasn't impressed at all with not being able to play it on the school bus

I guess the one I got him for Christmas will be going back to Best Buy though I am still rather enjoying mine
Sounds like you might be able to flip it for a markup if he doesn't want it.

Brucey

If Sony sold around 100k Portals in week one in Europe, then I expect they did the same in NA. And I'd guess they would have sold around 50k in Asia.

So maybe they made 250k for launch and sold out in the first week and we're taking by surprise....
Yeah no idea what their initial production and expectations were, we may see initial sales in the Japanese weekly charts to get a small indication. Or during their next quarterly results announcement.

FrankWza

I have no idea why Sony doesn't take pre-orders again once items sell out to at least let people know if they can get certain items before the holidays.

I feel like Sony's community support is so trash.
A little hype never hurts, especially this time of year. Retail workers had no idea what it was a week ago and now they are starting to get calls about it. Pretty great for an accessory.
Nah. It plays like a Wii U Gamepad at home as in 1:1 basically but you can play your games on it anywhere with wifi which is really nice because it’s an 8inch screen with dualsense functionality.

For $200 thats a dubya
The screen is sweet-spot good. I don't think people realize it unless they have it in hand.

A little hype never hurts, especially this time of year. Retail workers had no idea what it was a week ago and now they are starting to get calls about it. Pretty great for an accessory.

The screen is sweet-spot good. I don't think people realize it unless they have it in hand.

I just mean on direct. It seems like they haven't learned anything from the PS5 launch. Limiting 1 per PS User account would ensure people could actually get these if they want them. And enabling pre-orders for future shipments can let people know if this is something they can get before christmas for their spouse or kids.

This is a genius move by Sony because you are introducing cloud gaming the right way.

So many customers are happy with the latency and how this thing works that when you have a cloud device that can perform the same or better, people will accept it and flock to it without the resistance they once had.

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Sony introduced remote play ages ago. All they did was give people the option to play it on a device with proper controls which is what many devices lack.

Also this device doesn't hurt the PS5.

:)

Last edited:

laynelane

Sony introduced remote play ages ago. All they did was give people the option to play it on a device with proper controls which is what many devices lack.

Also this device doesn't hurt the PS5.

:)

Yep, I've used remote play many times with my PS4. Just take my laptop and controller and play while resting in my bed. It's pretty comfy. That said, the Portal sounds like a step-up for this in many ways.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Every person that slams this device doesn't own it. Spent some more time with it tonight, it just works so well.

And the wii u comparison is silly, this has a massively larger and more usable screen, better controls, and it doesn't cut out if you move more than 15ft from the console.
Ps portal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> wi u.

midnightAI

Just saw DF’s take, they said the 2012 wii u game pad was miles better then this junk lol, it’s just a overpriced remote player,
Don't you mean that was John's take, who has never even held one never mind played a game on one. The same DF that said PS5 won't have proper Raytracing even though they were told explicitly that it had? That DF?

People do have these now, you know that right? People on this very forum have them in their hands, are playing them and enjoying them.

Actually, wait a minute, is your name 'Moss'? Is this you in this clip (the one on the left)...

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
The typical internet approach:
"A problem I don't have is a problem that doesn't exist, therefore any solution for such problem is stupid and pointless.
ME!
ME!
ME!
ME!

Nobody else matters in this world, only my needs are important!"
Buddy, don't yell at me or get a heart attack. I just said why i think people complain, i'm not one of them.

Senua

Gold Member
The typical internet approach:
"A problem I don't have is a problem that doesn't exist, therefore any solution for such problem is stupid and pointless.
ME!
ME!
ME!
ME!

Nobody else matters in this world, only my needs are important!"
oh-dear-gordon-ramsay.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
We will judge the success if Sony reports the numbers next quarter.

What is a success? It's r&d costs and tooling to build are quite low, and the success or failure of the ps5 will not be affected by it one bit. Do you track sales success of other peripherals in this price range like the dualsense edge?

I would contend that as long as sony sells what it builds, and people who buy it are happy, Sony probably sees this as a success. And something to use to tweak designs of future units and or portable console.

Psvr2, on the other hand, is a whole other beast, between its high cost, high r&d costs, and reliance on custom software, it's a lot harder to meet the goals there.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Remote play is very impressive on ps. It's nearly like playing normally. Xbox app so.ehow cuts off all the time with bad quality
Both work great for me with WiFi. PS Remote Play app doesn’t seem to let me play over cellular connection anymore, even if I have 729 down and 120 up. Xbox app works with cellular though.

Likely a bug from firmware on either the app or the PS5. Xbox app had this similar issue earlier in the year and a patch fixed it.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It will be interesting to see the return % numbers on this. There's probably a lot of people that purchased it without even knowing exactly what it is and even more with shitty home WiFi making it unusable.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the return % numbers on this. There's probably a lot of people that purchased it without even knowing exactly what it is and even more with shitty home WiFi making it unusable.

Reminds me of when people were saying there would be massive returns with the PS5 once the comparisons came out.

I guess we have to wait and see what happens because the reality can be very different.

Top Bottom