• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

FrankWza

PS Portal deserves its on thread.

Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video
Definitely. Just to discuss accessories, Link and Explore. Tips and tricks too. And to keep the constant trash in check.

Last edited:

PSYGN

To the people who have the Steamdeck and ROG Ally, does this Portal do something that can't be done on the other handhelds? Just don't want to have YET ANOTHER device unless its worth it.

I think anyone who owns a Steamdeck or similar wouldn't waste money on this unless they have a lot of money to spend.

NewYork214

I love mine. Wasn't planning to but bought like 6 games cause of black friday deal just to play on portal.

Playing crisis core on it. Runs perfectly. Megaman battle network is next. And FF pixel remaster as well.

Kind of turning into its own little portable console for me.

Edit: just to add some negative views. Resolution which I'm guess is 1080p is a bit jarring. Cyberpunk was only game that I would consider tv only so far.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I love mine. Wasn't planning to but bought like 6 games cause of black friday deal just to play on portal.

Playing crisis core on it. Runs perfectly. Megaman battle network is next. And FF pixel remaster as well.

Edit: just to add some negative views. Resolution which I'm guess is 1080p is a bit jarring. Cyberpunk was only game that I would consider tv only so far.
Having the same effect on me. I'm playing Mafia 2, FF7R, and DOOM eternal any given moment.

I would only consider playing Megaman Battle Network with a PS Portal.

To the people who have the Steamdeck and ROG Ally, does this Portal do something that can't be done on the other handhelds? Just don't want to have YET ANOTHER device unless its worth it.
The portal is lighter, has bigger screen, better battery life, robust haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. Remote play works out of the box without installing any additional apps, which matters a lot for a consumer electronic product. I can barely feel the haptic feedback on my Steam deck.

hussar16

I just tried remote play on my phone with Spider-Man 2 and it impressed me.

Is there no way to use the dual shock with remote play?

I am now thinking of picking one up just to play in bed
Remote play is very impressive on ps. It's nearly like playing normally. Xbox app so.ehow cuts off all the time with bad quality

The Shepard

You should try octopath traveller 2 it's what I'm playing, perfect game on the portal. Much better than the first one, which you don't need to play as there not connected.

Ozriel

M$FT
Good point. Just a little surprised that Phil hadn't pushed for an Xcloud handheld that's $150. But you guys are probably right.

they weren’t interested in building their own, but they’ve promoted the Logitech G-cloud, held a joint event to launch the ROG Ally (including free GamePass trials included with it) and worked with Valve to improve XCloud streaming on Steamdeck.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
they weren’t interested in building their own, but they’ve promoted the Logitech G-cloud, held a joint event to launch the ROG Ally (including free GamePass trials included with it) and worked with Valve to improve XCloud streaming on Steamdeck.

I wonder what will make each company more money within the next 2 years......

- Sony selling PlayStation Portal for $200

or

- Xbox signing on new users to GamePass due to that service being on the Logitech G-cloud and the ROG Ally

I just tried remote play on my phone with Spider-Man 2 and it impressed me.

Is there no way to use the dual shock with remote play?

I am now thinking of picking one up just to play in bed
I got a backbone for my phone. DualSense clip for my phone. A second controller for the iPad. And it all sucks compared to the Portal. You don’t get the DualSense features, and it’s a pain to carry all that around.

Ozriel

M$FT
I wonder what will make each company more money within the next 2 years......

- Sony selling PlayStation Portal for $200

or

- Xbox signing on new users to GamePass due to that service being on the Logitech G-cloud and the ROG Ally

Both devices enable different things at the moment anyway. And many of the benefits aren’t as simple as the sticker price.
For example, Sony’s selling the portal for $200, but the knock on effect is significant since Portal owners will eventually skew more and more digital, and more multi console owners will buy their third party games on PlayStation to take advantage of the Portal.

MS just wants to put GamePass on anything that can stream.

mckmas8808

Both devices enable different things at the moment anyway. And many of the benefits aren’t as simple as the sticker price.
For example, Sony’s selling the portal for $200, but the knock on effect is significant since Portal owners will eventually skew more and more digital, and more multi console owners will buy their third party games on PlayStation to take advantage of the Portal.

MS just wants to put GamePass on anything that can stream.

Hmmm..... Good point about the knock on effect. If successful, it could make people more likely to buy 3rd party games on PS5.

Gamerguy84

I see all the Portals selling for $300 - $325 on eBay over the last 3 days. It's crazy!

Holy crap for real? This might be one of those gifts that get hot and sell for big money. Isn't there like over 40 million PS5 out there? That's enough for it to catch fire.

That happened to my wife with the wii. After she got it she didn't play it lol.

Hmmm..... Good point about the knock on effect. If successful, it could make people more likely to buy 3rd party games on PS5.
100% this. Portal has been amazing for me. I have all consoles and have always had a bit of trouble deciding where to buy my digital games. Portal makes it much easier to decide to buy on PlayStation. I've been playing Lies of P on Game Pass and if I wasn't so far into the game I would have straight up purchased it on PS.

Aurelius

I have it since last Friday, and I love it. It has exceeded my expectations. It works flawlessly so far. I live in a small house and have 5Ghz wifi. I can play it on the couch, in bed and in my office without a hitch. Screen is great and even the speakers are surprisingly decent.

It really is a great way to play new games and rediscover old games. I have a pretty well stocked PSN library and upgraded to PSN Extra just for this device. Currently playing The Outer Wilds. It never clicked with me before, but on handheld it’s perfect to play in bed before going to sleep.

mckmas8808

Haha from reddit.

So true. It's funny that so many are upset that others are having fun with their PS Portal.

Man this thing is a dream come true. Just flew to my parents place for thanksgiving and it’s playing damn near like Im back at home.

Sony has a hit here

I wish more of those "It's basically a Wii U tablet" people would understand what CrimsonSquall CrimsonSquall is saying here. So many still seem to think it's just a Wii U tablet with a Playstation logo and haptics in it when it's not.

Forgot the leak already? It’s planned

Hold on. What?! Maybe I did forget the leak lol

Last edited:

MScarpa

Amazon was much, much higher $400-$500 but it's now unavailable. I wonder if they removed listing's because they just all disappeared.
I think a lot of people buying the Portal for gifts for the holidays don't know you need a PS5 to make it work. We will see after the holidays how it plays out.

TrebleShot

So true. It's funny that so many are upset that others are having fun with their PS Portal.

I wish more of those "It's basically a Wii U tablet" people would understand what CrimsonSquall CrimsonSquall is saying here. So many still seem to think it's just a Wii U tablet with a Playstation logo and haptics in it when it's not.

Hold on. What?! Maybe I did forget the leak lol
https://thegamingwatcher.com/pages/...uments-reveal-insights-handheld-console-plans

May have partnered with Logitech instead but no reason to think they’ll scrap it considering the success of the Portal.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
PlayStation first store description said come back today for more stock. Still out of stock and that message has now been removed ☹️

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah I saw that on the UK listing.

Did they even restock? Or scalpers just took it all quick?
I don't think it came back in stock. I was checking last night, first thing this morning and throughout the day. I think the text had changed when I first checked this morning 6am UK time.

Top Bottom