• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal Unboxing

coffinbirth

It's not for travel and portability.
At least it's a hand held with good controller and big screen for once.
I think it's more like "sick in bed" and "my life sucks and wife won't let me use the tv" device.
I want to get it just for no reason. It's pretty cool. Shame no oled :(

The sticks look smaller but he says "identico", so I guess it's just the perspective
Your eyes are better than most! He is wrong. The sticks are from the PSVR2 controllers.

Gamerguy84

Thing is a pretty good size.

gQzxAnE.jpg
fpqcB2l.jpg
S6nBNar.jpg

midnightAI

I would hope that you could play the catalog with PS plus at least via streaming with an Internet connection... But I don't like that you need to have the console on... This loses its fun.

Or that it was a real console.
Not been keeping up with the news then huh? They are not going to change it between the announcement and release

Last edited:

midnightAI

Your eyes are better than most! He is wrong. The sticks are from the PSVR2 controllers.
I did hear someone else say PSVR 2 size sticks elsewhere. Which are perfectly fine, in fact for this probably better than full size as they work the same (I don't really notice much difference when in use after a while)

Ozriel

M$FT

Another one (if not fake), but strangely shows TV on at same time as Portal, maybe it can be used as a controller? (Or rather, leave the TV on so you can play on TV with it, don't care either way to be honest as I have 3 controllers anyway)

That does really look slick as hell. But then it’s Sony, and they certainly aren’t slouches with hardware.

I was all set to buy this, then the Deck OLED happened. Will probably look for any holiday deals on this to sweeten the pot.

midnightAI

I have a feeling amazon warehouse deals will be full of these from unsuspecting customers that return them. Worth keeping an eye out.
I think anyone buying this not knowing that a PS5 is required has their head in the sand, they have never hidden the fact and its on the packaging and any sales advert I have seen, still, some (idiots) will no doubt buy it not knowing that but I don't think it will be many.

(and Amazon in the UK seems to be out of stock again)

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I have a feeling amazon warehouse deals will be full of these from unsuspecting customers that return them. Worth keeping an eye out.

Silly question maybe but...how is company prepared for a device like this which is purely dependent on someone's home network connection quality ?
I mean, this isn't a case of experiencing slow download speeds while trying to download something on your console due to a poor connection. This device will simply not function correctly if your home network is unreliable.

Take also into account that people with good home networks have varying experiences which range from "excellent" to "a stuttery mess" and...

It's really a hard sell for them, methinks the return rate for these is going to be huge

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Silly question maybe but...how is company prepared for a device like this which is purely dependent on someone's home network connection quality ?
Streaming boxes, dongles and remote-play is 2 decades old now, it's not exactly a new market. And like WiiU this can connect directly to console too (still impacted by conditions in different homes - but again, not new).
I think what's far more relevant is the amount of advancement (or lack of thereof) over standard RP. Previews made fuzzy claims about this - but that really is the main reason for this to exist (or be redundant).

Ozriel

M$FT
Streaming boxes, dongles and remote-play is 2 decades old now, it's not exactly a new market. And like WiiU this can connect directly to console too (still impacted by conditions in different homes - but again, not new).
I think what's far more relevant is the amount of advancement (or lack of thereof) over standard RP. Previews made fuzzy claims about this - but that really is the main reason for this to exist (or be redundant).

where is it stated that this can connect directly to consoles without your WiFi network or Internet, like the Wii U controller?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm actually surprised - I was expecting the bare minimum in the form of just a black/blank screen as soon as you turn it on but...they actually put some nice splash screens there 🤣

Also, mothafuggin' Italians proving yet again that they're the OGs by not giving 2 fooks about the embargo 😁

The Italian dude isn't OG as i thought since he had to take the video down :messenger_beaming:

Anyway, when are the reviews hitting boys ?
What i'm most interest in :
- Battery life/SOT
- Recharge time
- Connection method - we know that it can do RP the "normal" way but i'm curious if there's also some sort of direct connection to the console

Drizzlehell

Banned
Drive-by shitposters, please get it out of your system now. Do not show up in the OT to spread your misery while the rest of us are having a good time. Go shit your pants in a Steam Deck thread instead.
Well, I tried to give some more constructive criticism earlier in the thread but the reaction wasn't very different from what you just posted.

But at least you're admitting that you're only interested in a self-indulgent circlejerk, and anyone attempting a critical discussion about the device deserves to be in a gulag as far as you're concerned.

midnightAI

Well, I tried to give some more constructive criticism earlier in the thread but the reaction wasn't very different from what you just posted.

But at least you're admitting that you're only interested in a self-indulgent circlejerk, and anyone attempting a critical discussion about the device deserves to be in a gulag as far as you're concerned.
Or.... and bear with me..... we don't want to listen to the same tired arguments coming from people who aren't even in the slightest interested in the device and/or don't even have a PS5. It will be those exact same arguments, many of which have been answered, time and time again in every thread by the same people, they have had their answers, but they don't care (nor even wanted answers nor proper discussion), they want to shit up the threads. Criticism is one thing, constant whining is another.

(this isn't just about Portal though, it happens in loads of threads regardless of which warring faction you belong to because they feel their plastic box is some holy deity that they must protect at all costs, and its getting tiring, people can't just enjoy things any more whether that's games, services or hardware)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm prepared for lots of constructive criticism, drive by "who is this for" people can stop and think about it for 2 seconds or just not post.

The whole "I can just use my phone" crowd in most cases. Or the "cloud gaming is lame" people.....

As to the I can just use my phone crowd:
1. A phone has a much smaller screen. How much you ask? Well considering aspect ratio, the portal screen is actually over 50% larger. (Using a 6.7" phone with a 16:10 aspect ratio)
2. Add on controllers for phone cost, and are ussually far worse than what's being offered here, true ps5 controllers (ever so slightly smaller with haptic feedback and triggers.
3. Battery life - you can keep it charged and ready at 100%, meanwhile your phone is half dead and you still need it for other things
4: Network advantage- optimized to work with your ps5 for less lag than your typical phone with the app. Hands on tests seem to confirm this is in fact the case.
5. It's just ready to use and play, as a dedicated gaming device.

As to the cloud gaming:
1. This isn't cloud gaming, it's local for most people
2. If it truly delivers a lag free experience (we will see) , what is the issue?

Last edited:

Shifty1897

The only jerking off going on in this thread is between you and Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme . You've posted 17 times in here with your "constructive" criticism. Very insightful. Make an ass of yourself all you like here, just stay out of the OT. The device isn't for you, you've made it very clear to everyone.

Can you stream the cloud gaming if you already opened the game on PS5?
If yes it might actually really good device. For anyone has good internet of course ( not me).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'm prepared for lots of constructive criticism, drive by "who is this for" people can stop and think about it for 2 seconds or just not post.
My friend, this is the internet.

This is the late 2010s mini-retro console craze and the “why buy this when you can emulate those games on your toaster?” comments all over again.

Why waste your time rebuking some drive-by comments from people who aren’t interested in understanding the product?
Enjoy it if you want it, let them enjoy their blah blah.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
My friend, this is the internet.

This is the late 2010s mini-retro console craze and the “why buy this when you can emulate those games on your toaster?” comments all over again.

Why waste your time rebuking some drive-by comments from people who aren’t interested in understanding the product?
Enjoy it if you want it, let them enjoy their blah blah.

I'm sure you are right, but maybe we can reach one or 2 of them! 😀

Ozriel

M$FT
The only jerking off going on in this thread is between you and Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme . You've posted 17 times in here with your "constructive" criticism. Very insightful. Make an ass of yourself all you like here, just stay out of the OT. The device isn't for you, you've made it very clear to everyone.

I think there's room for questions as long as we don't have the reviews. midnightAI midnightAI says answers have already been provided to much of the critique, but we're yet to see the device turned on and gaming.

Still a lot of grey areas even among people who are enthusiastic about this. For example This post here says it can connect to the console like the Wii U without your home wifi or internet, but there's no mention of that in any of the product pages or FAQs.

It looks good, and the build quality seems very good too, from hands on hardware impressions. The value proposition is probably what many people need to decide on.

After the reviews and hands on impressions are in, then generic questions and comments should probably be discouraged. Or at least people can watch videos to educate themselves.

what will this thing do better than my iphone as a screen with my ps5 controller?
61qdwDysPKL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I just looked over at my iPhone 15 Pro Max. At 6.7 inches, it's one of the biggest phones in the market.

And it's still significantly smaller than the display of the Portal, which would give you a cramped experience. Not to mention battery drain of your mobile phone and interruption from calls, messaging and notifications.

There's a reason this setup hasn't really taken off that well. You'd be better off streaming to an iPad or something

PaintTinJr

So, I saw that you can use it through wifi, let’s say at work and all you have to do is having the PS5 on and I’ll be able to play at work (both devices on wifi) without having the PS5 with me, Yay or Nay?
Latency and bandwidth - between your home and work - will be the determining factors on top of how much (network)handshaking your PS5 has to do with PSN. The latter part (PS5->PSN) gives pause for suggesting setting up a VPN server on your home router, so that the Quality of Services for the Portal experience is consistent and can collectively be given network priority by being inside the Virtual Tunnel, when you VPN login through your work WiFi back to your home network, because using the VPN might add latency for Portal->PS5->PSN handshake traffic.

Either way, you'll need a upload bandwidth on your home broadband bigger than the bandwidth the Portal will use for 1080p@60. Going by Netlfix stream rates I would think a 15Mbit/s upload, and at the work end you'll probably need at least 25Mbit/s from download broadband bandwidth you can commandeer and probably at least a strong -with low contention - wireless 802.11ac/n connection or better. A good 4G or 5G wifi hotspot (using VPN client) on your smartphone might work better.

Just working through these requirements makes me think it isn't going to work great away from home without using a Cloud service

Last edited:

Justin9mm

If for any reason you still have your old PS4, you can hook it up to your bedroom tv and stream your PS5 on it, youll have to play using a dualshock 4 however.

Works surprisingly well.
Sadly I don't anymore. However, on the plus side, I realised that used digital only PS5s are going for slightly cheaper than the retail price of the PlayStation Portal on Facebook marketplace etc. Lol

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I think there's room for questions as long as we don't have the reviews. midnightAI midnightAI says answers have already been provided to much of the critique, but we're yet to see the device turned on and gaming.

Still a lot of grey areas even among people who are enthusiastic about this. For example This post here says it can connect to the console like the Wii U without your home wifi or internet, but there's no mention of that in any of the product pages or FAQs.

It looks good, and the build quality seems very good too, from hands on hardware impressions. The value proposition is probably what many people need to decide on.

After the reviews and hands on impressions are in, then generic questions and comments should probably be discouraged. Or at least people can watch videos to educate themselves.

I just looked over at my iPhone 15 Pro Max. At 6.7 inches, it's one of the biggest phones in the market.

And it's still significantly smaller than the display of the Portal, which would give you a cramped experience. Not to mention battery drain of your mobile phone and interruption from calls, messaging and notifications.

There's a reason this setup hasn't really taken off that well. You'd be better off streaming to an iPad or something

Not only that Oz, but a phone like the 15 pro max weighs in at around 220gr - that weight becomes a problem after 30 mins due to the angle you're usually holding the joypad-phone clip combo, been there, tried that both with Xcloud and RP, it's just not good - especially for those that have office jobs and their wrists/carpal tunnels are already fooked.

Battery drain like you mentioned is also a problem - unless you like recharging your 800-1500 Eurodollar phone's battery twice-thrice a day, plus, it's a clusterfuck when you start receiving calls/messages.

Also : phone's/tablet's aspect ratio : even if you have a 6.7/6.8 inch screen (S23 Ultra) you're not gonna be gaming on the screen's full real estate due to different aspect ratios leading to black bars (either on the sides or top and bottom).

Really hope this thing works properly (as it should) and for it to take off - if it does, we can expect a better/nicer OLED version in the future with bigger battery, more features etc - same with Xbox, a portable handheld where you can stream all the GP games AND do console streaming ? Sign me the fook up.
It's a win-win, you can always have your main console in the living room to game on and a streaming handheld to play something on the shitter/while laying down/away from home etc etc, really don't get why people are so against it, no one is forcing them to buy these kind of devices at the end of the day...
----------------------
In other news, here's a new "problem" which i noticed with RP :
Since most people have newer, 4K HDR capable TVs the whole brightness issue becomes a problem :
I'm playing CP 2077 right now on my C2 OLED and i have HDR enabled obviously, i've set both the max nits brightness and drop-off points to very specific values.
Now, when you start RP-ing on a device...display output is shit since you're basically using your OLED Tv's settings (i.e specific nit brightness + different color/contrast that you applied) to a...different screen, meaning, everything is either too bright or too dark and you have to go into the in-game options and turn off HDR every god-damned time and also fiddle with the SDR brightness settings.This obviously varies with the games you're playing but it's a ball-ache having to do it every time.

Anyway let's see how this friggin' handheld performs IRL

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

The whole "I can just use my phone" crowd in most cases. Or the "cloud gaming is lame" people.....

As to the I can just use my phone crowd:
1. A phone has a much smaller screen. How much you ask? Well considering aspect ratio, the portal screen is actually over 50% larger. (Using a 6.7" phone with a 16:10 aspect ratio)
2. Add on controllers for phone cost, and are ussually far worse than what's being offered here, true ps5 controllers (ever so slightly smaller with haptic feedback and triggers.
3. Battery life - you can keep it charged and ready at 100%, meanwhile your phone is half dead and you still need it for other things
4: Network advantage- optimized to work with your ps5 for less lag than your typical phone with the app. Hands on tests seem to confirm this is in fact the case.
5. It's just ready to use and play, as a dedicated gaming device.

As to the cloud gaming:
1. This isn't cloud gaming, it's local for most people
2. If it truly delivers a lag free experience (we will see) , what is the issue?
Mobile devices with a larger screen do exist, you know.

Also, I am interested in a Sony handheld. Just not a glorified tablet for streaming. PS Vita was a fantastic handheld, and while I understand why it's less risky for them to go with this half-measure instead of releasing a proper successor, I still can't believe that they would offer something this shitty instead. And even more baffling is how guys like you would eat this up without acknowledging that they could've done a far better job.

midnightAI

Also, I am interested in a Sony handheld. Just not a glorified tablet for streaming. PS Vita was a fantastic handheld, and while I understand why it's less risky for them to go with this half-measure instead of releasing a proper successor, I still can't believe that they would offer something this shitty instead. And even more baffling is how guys like you would eat this up without acknowledging that they could've done a far better job.
Why?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

You keep doing the same thing (being condescending in a very spergy way) - and you wonder why people reply to you the way they do ?
We get it, it's not for you and that's perfectly fine, you don't have to repeat the same thing over and over and over again, it just gets boring after a while, You're not criticizing , you're not adding anything to the conversation, you just whine like you usually do just for the sake of whining.

Everyone's allowed to their opinion, thing is, constantly repeating the same thing over and over again it's not an "opinion", just incessant whining

Again, just...try to take it easy man, seriously.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Far better job maybe but to keep it at $200 seems like a pretty good deal to me

Drizzlehell

Banned
You keep doing the same thing (being condescending in a very spergy way) - and you wonder why people reply to you the way they do ?
We get it, it's not for you and that's perfectly fine, you don't have to repeat the same thing over and over and over again, it just gets boring after a while, You're not criticizing , you're not adding anything to the conversation, you just whine like you usually do just for the sake of whining.

Everyone's allowed to their opinion, thing is, constantly repeating the same thing over and over again it's not an "opinion", just incessant whining

Again, just...try to take it easy man, seriously.
Yes, yes, you got me all figured out. Except you're so preoccupied with your armchair psychology that you didn't notice how you're contributing even less to the actual topic at hand than I do. If you can't handle a bit of sarcasm then I think it's time to get off the internet before someone says something really mean to hurt your feelings.

Anyway, talking about the obvious shortcomings of this device shouldn't in any way prevent you from enjoying this thing if you're a normal functioning adult. But as we've already established earlier in the thread, somehow you guys are incapable of having such a conversation, and can't even handle someone posting a meme without throwing a fit, and it's pretty funny.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yes, yes, you got me all figured out. Except you're so preoccupied with your armchair psychology that you didn't notice how you're contributing even less to the actual topic at hand than I do. If you can't handle a bit of sarcasm then I think it's time to get off the internet before someone says something really mean to hurt your feelings.

Anyway, talking about the obvious shortcomings of this device shouldn't in any way prevent you from enjoying this thing if you're a normal functioning adult. But as we've already established earlier in the thread, somehow you guys are incapable of having such a conversation, and can't even handle someone posting a meme without throwing a fit, and it's pretty funny.

For fuck's sake man, you keep doing the same thing.
Accusations, "you people", and whining.

Just...kindly exit the conversation, there's really no need to turn this into the usual GAF Vs, seriously.

Take a break from the forums/this thread if it makes you so angry.

This is a thread about the Portal, we're all here to see how it'll fare, and trust me, if this proves to be badly built or has a bad Screen on time/lasts about 2 hours only of game time/sticks start to drift/LCD screen quality is cack we'll be the first ones to criticize it.

Cheers

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There are tablets under 100-dollar price points that can do pretty much everything better, though.
Oh I have been doing it on my Ipad Pro for awhile now but bought this Portal for the ease of use in one device

Its $200 bones, well worth a shot for myself plus if Sony ever did do a proper handheld even at say $600 I will buy that as well

But for ease of use I am all in on this product

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh I have been doing it on my Ipad Pro for awhile now but bought this Portal for the ease of use in one device

Its $200 bones, well worth a shot for myself plus if Sony ever did do a proper handheld even at say $600 I will buy that as well

But for ease of use I am all in on this product
I'm hoping that a day will come when we'll see a proper handheld from Sony because then I'll be there for it for sure. But I guess I get where you're coming from. I remember having a similar conversation with you recently where you made it clear that you don't mind dropping money on new things even if they can be a bit overpriced, while I said that I'm a bit more frugal and prefer to go with the most cost-effective option.

Oh well. Thanks at least for indulging in a normal conversation.

Steamdeck has got me playing handhelds again, and I don't really use my PS5 (not sure why) but I did setup Chiaki4deck on the Steamdeck to try remote play - it was really good, except sometimes the screen glitches and goes green like something out of the matrix, but the latency was really good.

If this thing works flawlessly I might be tempted to take a punt for $200. Although it looks like "My First Handheld from Tomy"...

Top Bottom