• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal Unboxing

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
you and your pals
Yeah, we’re all conspiring against you. Had a secret group chat and everything.

I Knew You Could GIF by MOODMAN

Same ol G

Cancelled my preorder and bought a retroid pocket 3+ 2 weeks ago.
The thing works flawlessly only haptic feedback is missing and you can't simulate all touchpad actions in 1 profile but what i get back for it in emulation and android capabilities at a lower pricepoint is ridiculous

The crowd jerking off Hall effect sticks like if it was some holy grail. And no. The fact you can open the device, potentially damage it to replace a part is obvious. Of course you can fix anything. But as simple as it might seem, not everyone will do it. And even if I can do it, I would feel like a fool for doing it… unless it happens after years and years maybe.
With that line of thinking nothing ever would be bad because you can replace everything !!!
Things who are used can potentially break, that‘s just the way it is. I‘ve never had stickdrift, the only controller that didn‘t work properly after years of usage was the N64s so I never had to repair anything, but if a part of any device breaks, I‘d rather repair it than replace it, as long as the risk of damaging the entire device is as low as with the Steamdeck. I wouldn‘t replace them on the dualsense because that is way more complicated.

Also, let‘s not forget that companies build things purposefully so that they break after a certain amount of time (warranty). It‘s called planned obsolescence, and Sony and many other manufacturers are very well aware of how to make consumers pay twice for their devices.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Things who are used can potentially break, that‘s just the way it is. I‘ve never had stickdrift, the only controller that didn‘t work properly after years of usage was the N64s so I never had to repair anything, but if a part of any device breaks, I‘d rather repair it than replace it, as long as the risk of damaging the entire device is as low as with the Steamdeck. I wouldn‘t replace them on the dualsense because that is way more complicated.

Also, let‘s not forget that companies build things purposefully so that they break after a certain amount of time (warranty). It‘s called planned obsolescence, and Sony and many other manufacturers are very well aware of how to make consumers pay twice for their devices.
I would be fine with replacing sticks but raw parts are hardly available especially here and modern devices are ass to open sometimes.
Like, it’s rather easy to get to the battery in dualsense but getting new original battery is impossible. But then, getting to face buttons if you want to clean the membrane is a nightmare.

64bitbros

It's the constantly needing internet connection that kills it for me. I bring my Steam Deck on work trips and sometimes there's no wifi or its a guest wifi that sucks. Even just brought it in to the dealer while my car was getting a recall done. I can play it truly anywhere. With this, I'm limited. I would never want that.
Its not a Steam Deck replacement. Its not a handheld. Its a Dualsense controller with a screen. Its an accessory, just like the Dualsense Edge.

I would be fine with replacing sticks but raw parts are hardly available especially here and modern devices are ass to open sometimes.
Like, it’s rather easy to get to the battery in dualsense but getting new original battery is impossible. But then, getting to face buttons if you want to clean the membrane is a nightmare.
Apples devices are also a nightmare to fix, but because of money they‘re fighting the right to repair as much as they can. Just recently I had to replace the screen on my iPhone 12 mini, an official Apple repair shop did it but for over 300€, a price range at which I was already considering buying a new phone. Frankly, our government currently pays 50% of the repair costs of electronic devices up to 200€ so for 165€ I was better off letting it repair than buying a new phone.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's the constantly needing internet connection that kills it for me. I bring my Steam Deck on work trips and sometimes there's no wifi or its a guest wifi that sucks. Even just brought it in to the dealer while my car was getting a recall done. I can play it truly anywhere. With this, I'm limited. I would never want that.

It also require a PS5 to work. A streaming handheld which doesn't support cloud streaming because reasons.

midnightAI

The thing works flawlessly only haptic feedback is missing and you can't simulate all touchpad actions in 1 profile but what i get back for it in emulation and android capabilities at a lower pricepoint is ridiculous
So it is flawed then?

And the screen size and resolution is? (Not to mention it's nowhere near as comfortable and also doesn't include the adaptive triggers)

For emulation, yeh, it's great, good choice, but for PS5 remote play it simply won't be as good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It also require a PS5 to work. A streaming handheld which doesn't support cloud streaming because reasons.
Well pretty clear reason. MS pays to house millions of Xbox Series X systems to play the games. Sony is not doing that and you just power it with your own system.

But you would think your PS5 could stream, and then you stream from that ... but that may be the problem.

dont-cross-the-streams-egon.gif

midnightAI

Well pretty clear reason. MS pays to house millions of Xbox Series X systems to play the games. Sony is not doing that and you just power it with your own system.

But you would think your PS5 could stream, and then you stream from that ... but that may be the problem.

dont-cross-the-streams-egon.gif
I actually think it will come, I just think that at launch they'd rather have a flawless zero(ish) lag experience, just my opinion though, I could be very wrong on that.

Same ol G

So it is flawed then?

And the screen size and resolution is? (Not to mention it's nowhere near as comfortable and also doesn't include the adaptive triggers)

For emulation, yeh, it's great, good choice, but for PS5 remote play it simply won't be as good.
That's a matter of preference, i don't miss it. (haptic feedback)
The touchpad is mostly used as a menu or map button so i don't need all the different ways to swipe, i didn't have any problems with my games.
The resolution is 720p but 1080p on a bigger screen is not that big of a difference.
Believe me that i thought about this before i pulled the trigger but for me it was a non issue, i can understand that other people would think differently.

So if the controller gets a drift problem you pretty much need to throw the thing away... oof
Before the PS4 gen I would have said obviously, duh, shoulder shrug, shit happens.
But as common as this phenomenon got- it kinda seems more prevalent than the infamous rrod ever was-, it is really dumb to not already offer official diy kits for all affected controllers. So at least your diy uncle with his garage full of tools incl a soldering iron can do it. Considering how the BR-drive attaches to the new PS5 and the Pro controller even more so, Sony and anyone else, could certainly make some foolproof plug and play design for controllers too. Either really like on the Pro or at least with just screwing it open. But that would probably cost more than using a less fickle design in the first place and we're stuck with that shite.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Obviously ? It'd be like saying " Moonlight is bad 'cause I need a PC AND Steam AND games installed as to be able to stream them to my phone/tablet", I mean, it's obvious.

As for the cloud streaming it will absolutely come - when ? fuck knows, that's up to Soony® but it will come, what's the point of spending/investing millions for servers for 4K streaming if it's only going to be on the PS5 ?
They're prepping the whole thing for a release down the line, mid-2024 would be my guess, then again, I could always be wrong.

Not that it matters since even if 4K cloud streaming gets released on the portal, people will find a way to whine since it will require PS plus premium to do so.

Cheers

Same ol G

What a weird fetish, whatever floats your boat I guess

Is this like 'I see dead people', does it allow you to send them on their way solving what is keeping them here?
You seem pretty invested with what i say.
You know the saying goes if the shoe fits, wear it..

midnightAI

You seem pretty invested with what i say.
You know the saying goes if the shoe fits, wear it..
I would never wear flip flops (or thongs if you are from Australia), or those stupid Crocs even if they did fit. And why would you wear other people's shoes even if they did fit?

Embearded

I heard two colleagues at work discussing Portal and one said "why would i buy it if it requires PS5 and i can only play it at home".
The guy still lives with his parents and has his own TV and monitor in his room, of course there is no use for him, but he can't think why it's attractive to others.

I am cool with the price for what it does.
If they enable server streaming down the road, even better.
One of the negatives i see, is that it can't be used as a regular Dualsense with your PS5 when you play on TV.

midnightAI

I heard two colleagues at work discussing Portal and one said "why would i buy it if it requires PS5 and i can only play it at home".
The guy still lives with his parents and has his own TV and monitor in his room, of course there is no use for him, but he can't think why it's attractive to others.

One of the negatives i see, is that it can't be used as a regular Dualsense with your PS5 when you play on TV.
One of the things I asked/pondered over was if it was technically feasible (seeing as really it should only be a software problem) for the Portal to be used not only as a controller for the PS 5 but could technically be used as a second screen so it could be used for things like maps while playing PS5 games. Imagine playing Spiderman on the PS5 on the TV but the map is on the Portal. (And going further than that could you have multiplayer, like split screen but one player on TV and one on Portal, they experimented with that kind of functionality with VR and second screen)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Obviously ? It'd be like saying " Moonlight is bad 'cause I need a PC AND Steam AND games installed as to be able to stream them to my phone/tablet", I mean, it's obvious.

As for the cloud streaming it will absolutely come - when ? fuck knows, that's up to Soony® but it will come, what's the point of spending/investing millions for servers for 4K streaming if it's only going to be on the PS5 ?
They're prepping the whole thing for a release down the line, mid-2024 would be my guess, then again, I could always be wrong.

Not that it matters since even if 4K cloud streaming gets released on the portal, people will find a way to whine since it will require PS plus premium to do so.

Cheers

I am not sure if its obvious to some people here tbh.

radewagon

Looking forward to mine like you couldn't believe. The fact that so many people are having trouble wrapping their head around the product's usefulness in the face of its very limited feature set says volumes about how complete and total a failure the WiiU was. The Portal's basically a less-integrated WiiU gamepad for the PS5. Far as I can tell, it has one specific use case: I want to play Spider-Man but my daughter is playing Kirby and the Forgotten Land and, since I love my daughter very much, she gets first dibs always.

So long as the latency is better than Vita's Remote Play, the video quality is serviceable, and the screen is on par with the Steam Deck's crummy LCD I'll be just fine. Are there other ways to do what the Portal does? Yeah, but I'm lazy after a long day at work and I just want a user-friendly way to get some game time in.

Same ol G

Looking forward to mine like you couldn't believe. The fact that so many people are having trouble wrapping their head around the product's usefulness in the face of its very limited feature set says volumes about how complete and total a failure the WiiU was. The Portal's basically a less-integrated WiiU gamepad for the PS5. Far as I can tell, it has one specific use case: I want to play Spider-Man but my daughter is playing Kirby and the Forgotten Land and, since I love my daughter very much, she gets first dibs always.

So long as the latency is better than Vita's Remote Play, the video quality is serviceable, and the screen is on par with the Steam Deck's crummy LCD I'll be just fine. Are there other ways to do what the Portal does? Yeah, but I'm lazy after a long day at work and I just want a user-friendly way to get some game time in.
You definitely will enjoy it, my retroid pocket works great on 5ghz and this is an official products so i expect at least the same or even better performance

yurinka

As I remember they said it supports the DualSense features (that would include haptic feedback) and that you can use the left and right side of the touchscreen as touchpad.

Same ol G

As I remember they said it supports the DualSense features (that would include haptic feedback) and that you can use the left and right side of the touchscreen as touchpad.
Serious, is that with psplay? cause that's what i'm using, maybe i have to change applications.

midnightAI

I think they were saying that Retroid Pocket supports everything except haptic feedback and the touchpad. Portal has everything DualSense has in one form or another

yurinka

Is there an actual interest in this? Even if you paid me $200 I don't think I'd use this.
Apparently the preorders are sold out in several countries and big retailers.

Serious, is that with psplay? cause that's what i'm using, maybe i have to change applications.
I think they were saying that Retroid Pocket supports everything except haptic feedback and the touchpad. Portal has everything DualSense has in one form or another
I was talking about PS Portal using the official Remote Play (it's supposed to feature touchscreen as touchpad and haptic feedback). I didn't know you were talking about other Android devices, sorry.

Last edited:

Three

Solderfree Gullikit hall effect sticks cost like 15 bucks for the steamdeck.
Replacement dualsense sticks are even cheaper (you can get 5 for less than one Gulikit) but the point was that this is true for any device. If something happens to it you can decide to repair it if you want to.
While it probably won't have a calibration screen at launch, we don't actually know if that is the case for sure. What we do know though is that it's Android so adding stick calibration should not be difficult (although, surprised they haven't added it to the PS5 yet so maybe it is)
There is a game by game calibration threshold anyway and the PS5 menu has a pretty large deadzone on purpose. If you experience drift in a game you can just adjust it in the game.

Anyway adjusting deadzone on all common controllers like steamdeck, elite, dualsense, joycon, xbox, edge sticks usually won't help anyway. The common 'drift' people experience is in fact a sudden spike caused by shorts on the contact rings from debris which is why people try and recommend replacement hall effect sensors which don't exhibit the problem. It's not mechanical drift confined to deadzones. It's like somebody temporarily pulling all the way in any direction depending on where the short is.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Well, this is already falls.

Same ol G

Apparently the preorders are sold out in several countries and big retailers.

I was talking about PS Portal using the official Remote Play (it's supposed to feature touchscreen as touchpad and haptic feedback). I didn't know you were talking about other Android devices, sorry.
No problem man i don't miss anything but if another app had better compatability i would buy that ofcourse.
Thanks for replying

Embearded

One of the things I asked/pondered over was if it was technically feasible (seeing as really it should only be a software problem) for the Portal to be used not only as a controller for the PS 5 but could technically be used as a second screen so it could be used for things like maps while playing PS5 games. Imagine playing Spiderman on the PS5 on the TV but the map is on the Portal. (And going further than that could you have multiplayer, like split screen but one player on TV and one on Portal, they experimented with that kind of functionality with VR and second screen)

This would require more work from devs and i don't think they would like it. For now we can only hope for basic dualsense functionality and server streaming.

Well, this is already falls.
Yeah i know, but again the following requirements apply:

1. PS5 at least on rest mode in home.
2. Sufficient internet connection at home
3. Sufficient internet connection where you are.

First one is in us to make sure we don't power off the console.
Second one, in Greece is not so common. I have fiber to the home internet connection, but it's not symmetrical. 200Mbps/20Mbps, so upload is not that great. I think only a couple ISPs offer symmetrical connection and they have to bring their own fiber to your home.
Third point is not also that common to have, as not everyone has fiber, 24Mbps ADSL over copper is still common here and mobile 5G can be throttled by the provider.

So at least i consider it only for home use for me. Again, i'll buy it day one because i'll use it everyday.

midnightAI

This would require more work from devs and i don't think they would like it. For now we can only hope for basic dualsense functionality and server streaming.
Oh, yeh, I agree, I was thinking from a technical standpoint rather than if if Devs would care (although if it gets loads of sales then first party may be interested as they could technically remove HUD clutter and move it to the Portal)

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Seems like ever since the Portal was announced, remote play stopped working for me when using my phones data plan. I get a pop up warning, despite my 5G connection of 700+ down and 100+ up. Then again, sometimes the app and the console firmware don’t act well together. Same thing happens with Xbox from time to time.

demigod

Suuuuure Jan. Why would you cancel this preorder when you don’t even own a ps5.

Buying a handheld for emulation, what year is this?

Another warrior alt it seems.

Roxkis_ii

The no's are littered with people that don't even own a PS5.
The could be true (concidering who started the thread).

I was going to say a lot of the news I saw when the news of the portal first broke seemed pretty so so on the device.

I was going to reference some YouTube videos about it, but apon looking into it - it seems it's a lot of videos the echo the hype in this thread. (I also forgot the pre-orders were sold out).

It seems my impression was more in my head then in reality.

I was reminded about the headphone situation where is only one pair of compatible headphones cost $200, but that doesn't seem to brother a lot of people.

Last edited:

FrankWza

The could be true (concidering who started the thread).

I was going to say a lot of the news I say when the news of the portal first broke seemed pretty so so, on the device.

I was going to reference some YouTube videos about it, but apon looking into it - it seems it's a lot of videos the echo the hype in this thread. (I also forgot the pre-orders were sold out).

It seem my impression was more in my head then in reality.

I was reminded about the headphone situation where is only one pair of compatible headphones cost $200, but that doesn't seem to brother a lot of people.
It's sold out at retailers but still available at psdirect. Still a good sign. As far as the audio, I and others have made people aware that a simple BT adapter from Amazon will do the trick and provide the same, subpar BT audio they would get had Sony decided to make this device compatible out of the box. It's usually ignored because the agenda needs to be pushed. The PS Link approach is going to be far better than anything we have experienced for this application.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
There's already a handful of "unboxing" videos on YouTube and :
- "here's the new earbuds but we cannot turn them on, only show them to you"

- "here's the PS portal, it looks nice doesn't it ? unfortunately, we can't turn it on since Sony hasn't allowed us to do so"

I mean, what's the fucking point with these paid shills ? sure broski, I'll click on your video as to watch pure nothingness for 5 mins straight, amirite ? 😁

Wait for proper reviews dudes where the actual connectivity, input lag and general quality is shown 'cause these mofos chasing e-clout while also being paid by Sony ain't it.

Not to be a Debbie downer but the fact that Sony isn't allowing these influencer shills to actually show the device off is dubious and not all that reassuring.
Personally , I know what to expect from Remote play and this device but still, these embargoes are pure cack...

Last edited:

demigod

There's already a handful of "unboxing" videos on YouTube and :
- "here's the new earbuds but we cannot turn them on, only show them to you"

- "here's the PS portal, it looks nice doesn't it ? unfortunately, we can't turn it on since Sony hasn't allowed us to do so"

I mean, what's the fucking point with these paid shills ? sure broski, I'll click on your video as to watch pure nothingness for 5 mins straight, amirite ? 😁

Wait for proper reviews dudes where the actual connectivity, input lag and general quality is shown 'cause these mofos chasing e-clout while also being paid by Sony ain't it.

Not to be a Debbie downer but the fact that Sony isn't allowing these influencer shills to actually show the device off is dubious and not all that reassuring.
Personally , I know what to expect from Remote play and this device but still, these embargoes are pure cack...
Yeah, this is stupid and worrisome. Why send them out if they aren’t allowed to be turned on. I’m betting the battery must be shit.

Rival

Gold Member
I was gonna get one but figured I’m just going to get the slim console to use in my bedroom. That’s the only place I want to be able to play. I have doubts about how well this will work anyways.

Top Bottom