• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase Officially Announced for Next Wednesday, May 24 at 1pm Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcaneNLSC

Vick, this for you.
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

type1111111144z3eql.png
So both Amanda Cerny and Kate Beckinsale on this train like when this generation hype train began?

ProtoByte

I don't think it's any coincidence that Sony announced the Playstation Showcase for end of May, immediately after they have confirmation from the CMA and EU regarding the Activision/Microsoft deal. I really do think the primary reason we have not seen a showcase is due to this acquisition, as Sony did not want to weaken their position with a strong games showing for the future.

Now that the CMA has said that their concerns are unrelated to console competition, but ended up ruling in favor of blocking the deal for Cloud related reasons, and the EU has approved the deal despite having the same concerns as the CMA, Sony now knows the major regulatory impact direction and there's simply no need to withold their plans any longer. Them having a showcase won't weaken their position for the Activision/Microsoft deal in the future.

It's why I also think the claim that Jim Ryan is now focused on "Total Mindshare' and "Make a Statement and Make Noise" may have some truth as Jim has likely specifically withheld a significant portion of their long-term plans as a result of that merger.
I was extremely skeptical of Jim Ryan at the beginning of the PS5's life cycle, but I'm almost convinced that they couldn't have wished to get a better guy to head up this gen.

If he nails this showcase and most of the actual games deliver, you'd have to admit the man is a business genius.

If he nails this showcase and most of the actual games deliver, you'd have to admit the man is a business genius.
How? The man didn't manage these studios, he didn't create them and they certaintly didn't magically start doing quality work the day he got his current position. The credits belong to the devs and especially their (project) management. Sony lives off of their first class studios. Without them, they'd be nothing. They're wise to keep nurturing them as best as they possibly can. Their future depends on these teams doing what they do best.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Sony announced the Playstation Showcase for end of May, immediately after they have confirmation from the CMA and EU regarding the Activision/Microsoft deal. I really do think the primary reason we have not seen a showcase is due to this acquisition, as Sony did not want to weaken their position with a strong games showing for the future.

Now that the CMA has said that their concerns are unrelated to console competition, but ended up ruling in favor of blocking the deal for Cloud related reasons, and the EU has approved the deal despite having the same concerns as the CMA, Sony now knows the major regulatory impact direction and there's simply no need to withold their plans any longer. Them having a showcase won't weaken their position for the Activision/Microsoft deal in the future.

It's why I also think the claim that Jim Ryan is now focused on "Total Mindshare' and "Make a Statement and Make Noise" may have some truth as Jim has likely specifically withheld a significant portion of their long-term plans as a result of that merger.

Agreed. I said this a while back and it seemed to have upset some posters on here. It makes even more sense now given the the timeline of events in the past twelve months regarding the CMA's investigation.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Looking forward to this! And man, this year is flying by. It doesn't seem like it should be E3(RIP) season already.

Last edited:
My cousins uncle on his sisters fathers friends side who works at mcdonald's that knows a guy at Sony said the secret is a reboot of Galerians.

Don't tell anyone i told you lol

DarthPutin

I am extremely excited - my one big worry is - what if they introduce MGS remake and it looks like shit? It would overshadow conversation in a way some new lackluster IP would not.

I am extremely excited - my one big worry is - what if they introduce MGS remake and it looks like shit? It would overshadow conversation in a way some new lackluster IP would not.

The rumor is that Playstation's technical team along with Mark Cerny have been involved in the MGS1 remake. I'd expect it to deliver on the visuals.

Gameplay and design wise, it's going to be controversial regardless. It's a remake/reimagining of a game that came out in the 90's. I suspect they'll draw heavy influence from MGSV in terms of gameplay mechanics/combat and such.

Metal Gear, Dragons Dogma 2, and a fresh new IP from Sony and I’m satisfied.
Actually for me the showcase would be a 10/10 if they only showed Dragons Dogma 2 that’s how much I love the first game it’s the best 3D RPG ever made the pawn system is absolutely incredible.Gameplay wise it stands over any other RPG nothing comes close.this is the only game I know where killing the same enemies for the 100 time is fun and satisfying

kaizenkko

Based on the 2020's showcase (who had the same duration expected for the 2023's showcase), those are, in my opinion, the most probably appearances:

9 first-party9 third-party9 indies
Spider-Man 2Final Fantasy XVIHelldivers 2
TLOU FactionsStellar BladeLittle Devil Inside
Death Stranding 2Rise of Ronin???
MGS RemakeSilent Hill 2 Remake???
???Baldur's Gate 3???
???Mortal Kombat 1???
???Resident Evil 9???
PSVR2 gamePSVR2 game???
PSVR2 gamePSVR2 game???

Some notes:

1) I really don't know about the total indie games list, but we will definitely see a lot of them.
2) I'm treating DS2 like a first-party game because it's made with Decima engine and also published by Sony. I also think Bluepoint in involved with MGS Remake.
3) Other options of game who I think we can see are:

Bend's new IP
From Software's new IP
SSM's new IP
Armored Core 6
Firesprite's Horror Game
Horizon Remake/Remaster
Uncharted
Twisted Metal
Horizon Online

Thoughts?

kyussman

Well......I know I'll be disappointed with the show. I mean, I'm sure there won't be a new Motorstorm announcement. That would be about the only thing that would truly get me excited.
Hey,I hate to break it to you,but Evo studios have been dead and buried for a good long time now.I loved Motorstorm though,my favorite arcade racers ever.

Duchess

Ghost of Kamakura???!

LOL! Yeah, now I know that list is fake. They might as well have set the game in some other fictional place, like Transylvania[1] or Timbuktu[2].

[1] - Also known as Woke City.
[2] - Where you end up if you forget to take the correct exit on the highway.

Just new ps5 games being announced in the show. I mean that's exciting right? New games to play. No? Okay 👌

That was an emotional speech, mate.

happy-emotional.gif
Sorry it was a low effort joke post that was attempting to dunk on people that always say Sony games are cinematic with no gameplay etc.

Evidently it died on its arse...Well one chap found it funny!

I'am actually really excited about the showcase!

Thirty7ven

Banned

Visually speaking Silent Hill 2 remake looks really good.

So my guess is if MGS looked like shit Sony and Konami wouldn’t show it and simply switch devs.

RevGaming

I'm expecting this show to be better than e3 2016. It didn't succeed if it isn't. Two years, and the last showcase only Wolverine and Spiderman 2 were announced, and before that, everything sony was announced before the ps5 releasing, so I'm expecting a lot, including third party (at least 5-10 triple A third party games) with a sprinkle of indies and VR games. It has to be a 10 imo. Has to.

Last edited:

DJ12

I just want variety, one or two wacky games I'll never play but confirm to me that Sony still knows that blockbusters aren't the only games that need to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom