• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play for Ghost of Tsushima 05/14/20 (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm UK)

Dodkrake

Banned
Looks are on point. Seems like combat is on the easy side, but usually these demos are played in the easier difficulties to convey a message. It does have a sense of power because you are not stabbing someone 50 times with a katana to kill them. You can one shot, as real world. I'm also wondering if you can disable the slow Mo on combat. If you can, that's an instadisable for me.

The mechanics around following the wind, birds and foxes are not realistic, however they do seem to be designed to bring some diversity to the open world waypoint system and to force you to pay attention to the game world. Seems interesting.

As for graphics, it's absolutely insane. You can see some rougher textures and even non interactive water, but I'd say this is completely secondary when the artstyle is just insane. Beautiful game.

Kinda bummed with facial animations not matching Japanese VA, but Will still play in Japanese.

Absolutely Bonkers Video......This could very well pass as a next gen game. Exploration, Combat, Ghost Mode and customization are all top tier level......I'm extremely impressed with the gameplay, animations and visuals, tbh, at certain camera angles, the characters look real. Bonkers physics, how can the jaguar do those physics as we've seen on so many SWWS games, very impressive the talent and tech in these studios.....Graphically, this and LOU2 are going to fight hard for it, but whichever wins, no one loses.....This is premium gaming content right there on a production level...….No other studios are pushing such quality in graphics, animation and physics right now....

As to the bolded, I strongly disagree

You can see where they had to be make concessions due to current gen restrictions. Some of the textures are a little rough

It’s a good looking current gen game, from the video anyway

What engine does this run on? Yo SP, use this engine to make a Ninja Scroll game, having the Devils of Kimon as boss fights would be the best fuckin thing ever.

Justin9mm

The art style is exactly my type of game, combat looks like you have a variety in attacks and movements. I think as long as the pacing and story is executed well, the combat feels as good as it looks, this game will review high and be quite a success. You can tell it has that PlayStation Exclusive feel to it.

Strategize

It looks...fine. You know when you see a game and you think "This looks fine" in the most unenthused way possible? This is it.

Nothing about it really stands out to me as "wow".

Not the gameplay.
Not the design.
Not the animations.
Not even the visuals (hard to be impressed by open world visuals after Red Dead 2).

Also there's this weird disconnect I'm seeing. They're trying to do this immersive following the wind trails and animals to get to objectives and what not, yet the rest of the game seems really "videogamey".

"PRESS R2 TO MOUNT"
"PRAY HERE TO UPGRADE THING"
Question marks.
No pickup animation.
Air lines while swinging swords to hide the mediocre animations.
Big ass stealth detectors on your screen.....etc etc.

It's like certain developers start by trying to create this super serious grounded experience, then they realize they don't have the talent or resources to turn that into a good videogame so they just start falling into the usual tricks. Rockstar and Naughty Dog seem to be the only ones that know how to go the extra mile to do it, but not everyone has that luxury for various reasons.

Again this'll be an acceptable game, maybe even a good one, just like the recent Assassin's creeds though, that's their peak.

Last edited:

Keihart

yeah but it looks out of place with such a realistic artstyle, it will looks far better with proper ragdoll and physics.

this is how you make bow combat visceral and realistic, not with an exagerate precanned animation that don't even take account of the angle where you hit the enemy.

Not to trying to say that the ones on GoT looks perfect, but for good reactions you kinda need some pre canned animations just like TLoU and Uncharted, even Hitman figured that one out.

You have to use some key animations because if not the body goes limp into ragdoll before when we expect from movies or otherwise.
Even Euphoria, the GTA thingy tries to use some animations before going full ragdoll.

Using only ragdolls always look wonky, straight out of 2006.

INC

Not to trying to say that the ones on GoT looks perfect, but for good reactions you kinda need some pre canned animations just like TLoU and Uncharted, even Hitman figured that one out.

You have to use some key animations because if not the body goes limp into ragdoll before when we expect from movies or otherwise.
Even Euphoria, the GTA thingy tries to use some animations before going full ragdoll.

Using only ragdolls always look wonky, straight out of 2006.

The power bow shots do look shit tbh, like they're being hit by a cannon ball, the first bow kill looks fine, he just drops more naturally. Rag doll goes ape shit on the ghost bow shots, looks wack

Keihart

Where is the bow when in ghost mode? does Jin have a magic bag like Felix the cat or a futuristic pocket like Doraemon?

Shmunter

Watched it. It’s going to be a world class open world no doubt, bu just not sure personally, open world burnout here.

It’s going to live and die by the quality and feel of the combat for me. I need to yearn for that gameplay loop to sink god knows how many hours this requires. The no hud approach gives me confidence, absolutely hate minimaps with crap littered everywhere like a never ending checklist.

Open world fans and ancient Japan fans are in for a treat no doubt.

Last edited:

Keihart

So that's why we haven't seen much of the game, because it got heavily downgraded, nice

Looks like your average Ubiosoft games clones, nothing special at all
combat does look iffy and i'm not a fan of having a map since there seems to be so much attention put on landmarks for navigation, but how in the world was this downgraded? please explain. This is exactly how it looked and played on the original demo.

Shmunter

So that's why we haven't seen much of the game, because it got heavily downgraded, nice

Looks like your average Ubiosoft games clones, nothing special at all
Spicy. But I must admit, the gfx did not wow me.

Looking at the villages and especially the ship, it looks somewhat sterile, lacks that lived in feel. Not enough geometry, clutter, dirt, what have you. Most recent Sony open world Days Gone is above this in fidelity.

May wait for a PS5 showing off this.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Will there be a demo for this? Feel like that will really tell me all I need to know about gameplay.

I don’t really think you can judge gameplay from a video, that is something you have to experience to know. I totally want to play this and see what it’s like.

June

Looks middling. Like Assassins Creed.

Sick of open world games. Like athird or half of that presentation was dude riding around on a horse, because ofc OPEN WORLD.

True ghosting doesn't seem to be an option? Like ghosting past guards and not interacting with them at all?

I also find it funny they big up no way points and then have a big fucking map you can view at anytime and have indicators showing you where to go. Like you replaced a literal arrow with wind that acts as an arrow. Well done?

Meh. Might get it in when it hits the bargain bin.

Last edited:

Pallas

Game looks pretty amazing and fun, I’m happy we finally get a good feudal Japan setting for a game.

Believe me Xbox Series X games None of them will be equivelant to the first and second party games of the PS4 in gameplay and animation and physics Let alone to Rival TLOU2 or Ghost of Tsushima . Nobody is going to wast their livelyhbood by kicking in their own belly Not naughty Dog or Sucker Punch. TLOU2 will b a Marvel of Gameplay and stupendous in its graphics. Which will never see the light in Xbox series X

Don’t kid yourself, and stop with the fanboy bullshit. Game looks amazing but to say games next gen on a competing platform won’t touch this is delusion on a grandeur scale. Take off the homer glasses.

Moogle11

Banned
This is true only if they design the game around not having navigation helpers on first.

I for one hates quest markers, secret markers and other similar ui elements, they make a game feel like a laundry list of items that have to be checked... I play to entertain myself, not to have a second wife or something.

I do agree with that. Design it for them off, and give a compass, markers, something like the clairvoyance spell in Elder Scrolls games for those of us that just want to beeline to objectives.

I also agree with you that I don't really like a map full of markers for collectibles etc, so that shit should be turned off too. I mostly just want to do the side quests with story lines and the main story quest and waste minimal time lost and figuring out where to go to get to the next place to advance those. Collectibles etc. I'm fine just finding whatever I find along the way.

For me, it's just that I really don't like open worlds. There just aren't enough AAA linear story driven games to keep me satiated so I have to play open world games for those stories, or JRPGs for those when I usually don't like the combat or messing with builds and other systems.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I really don’t see how it looks like assassin’s creed. There aren’t a million icons everywhere. You aren’t tailing people constantly and climbing up walls. Combat looks far more involved than attack/counter. No purple treasure chests here.

Or is that just, people name whatever open world game they know to compare it to? Guess that makes sense. Maybe if you only own a Switch you will think it’s like BOTW.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

It looks...fine. You know when you see a game and you think "This looks fine" in the most unenthused way possible? This is it.

Nothing about it really stands out to me as "wow".

Not the gameplay.
Not the design.
Not the animations.
Not even the visuals (hard to be impressed by open world visuals after Red Dead 2).

Also there's this weird disconnect I'm seeing. They're trying to do this immersive following the wind trails and animals to get to objectives and what not, yet the rest of the game seems really "videogamey".

"PRESS R2 TO MOUNT"
"PRAY HERE TO UPGRADE THING"
Question marks.
No pickup animation.
Air lines while swinging swords to hide the mediocre animations.
Big ass stealth detectors on your screen.....etc etc.

It's like certain developers start by trying to create this super serious grounded experience, then they realize they don't have the talent or resources to turn that into a good videogame so they just start falling into the usual tricks. Rockstar and Naughty Dog seem to be the only ones that know how to go the extra mile to do it, but not everyone has that luxury for various reasons.

Again this'll be an acceptable game, maybe even a good one, just like the recent Assassin's creeds though, that's their peak.
Well as far as RDR2 it depends on what platform. I was just playing RDR2 last night on my Xbox One X on my 4K HDR TV and watching this in 4K today, it looks way sharper/cleaner in a lot of aspects. I overall thought this looked better because of that. I just went from playing RDR2 for a few hours to watching this a few hours later so maybe you should check again if it's console you referring to.

Regarding the animations, something has to give, RDR2 suffers on PS4 because it's so over animated and makes it slow as shit. I think your expectations are too high for the limitations of the PS4.

To me imo it looked great. I guess we weren't watching the same thing. Seems to me you are just biased because it's not your cup of tea.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Just watched it. I got Shadow of Mordor mixed with God of War vibes from it.

I'm so IN.

Edit: Oh and they basically gave us the Assassin's Creed Japan setting we've been waiting for, that looks and plays better from what I saw.

Last edited:

Pizdetz

Banned
Well...that was somewhat underwhelming.
The gameplay looked like Ni Oh, if you slowed it down and took all the fun out of it.
The exploration looked like witcher, if you stripped away all the environmental detail and made riding a horse somehow awkward with an over the shoulder view.
The graphics look OK, but as far as open world stuff, AC Odyssey looks better.

Some of the responses in this thread though...you'd think this was another Unreal Engine 5 demo.

DonJorginho

Banned
First things first, there has been a reasonable downgrade for this title, lighting has been dumbed down, reflections aren't as top class as before, textures and the LOD of the environment all round looks rather middling compared to the original reveal and was something I could definitely see from the moment the gameplay started.

And that makes it all the more unbelievable by just how good this game still looks in this footage.

The environments look gorgeous, the lighting albeit downgraded still has such a thick amount of beauty to it all. The environmental physics are next gen-esque and the artstyle is phenomenal.

The only things that are subpar for this generation are the overall animations for enemies, they seem a bit last gen in some ways with enemies being catapulted by the slightest connection with a flimsy arrow, and all enemies crumbling like a sandcastle in the rain when hit with your weaponry.

However my hype for this game still remains, as someone who has a guilty adoration for the old style of Assassin's Creed titles, this game ignites a dream setting I've wanted to see covered by the series since the day I completed AC1 back in the day.

I have full faith in Sucker Punch to deliver a great game and a real gem to close off the generation.

Zoro7

Banned
I baffled at how people are writing this game off already. Uninspiring is a word that keeps coming up. After a 18 minute gameplay....which you don’t even control just watch?! Lol yall enjoy your careers as critiques!
Wasn’t that interested in this game but after that it’s a defo day one for me. The setting is beautiful and the ability to choose the type of fighter is amazing. Can’t wait!

diffusionx

Gold Member
I baffled at how people are writing this game off already. Uninspiring is a word that keeps coming up. After a 18 minute gameplay....which you don’t even control just watch?! Lol yall enjoy your careers as critiques!
Wasn’t that interested in this game but after that it’s a defo day one for me. The setting is beautiful and the ability to choose the type of fighter is amazing. Can’t wait!

I think people are a bit disappointed in the usual open world Ubi-isms, which is understandable.

I still think the game looked good enough that it's worth checking out again after release, to see exactly what it is doing.

Strategize

Regarding the animations, something has to give, RDR2 suffers on PS4 because it's so over animated and makes it slow as shit. I think your expectations are too high for the limitations of the PS4.
Then find the middle ground between detail and responsiveness. Naughty Dog manages without losing almost any detail, hell Horizon's animation looked better than this aswell. If you want your game to feel grounded and cinematic then you best believe I'm gonna compare you to the "big boys" of the genre so to speak.

Vroadstar

If you've been here long enough, you know some of those people are the usual suspects, going into a PS exclusive game thread to downplay/derail/troll because it's not on their favored brand. Learn to ignore, some of them especially the alt accounts won't even last long here before X gets released :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jbomb19

Honestly I loved seeing the little things this game has, like how you can pick flowers to change the color of your armor. yeahhhhh, that's the good shit right there. that's what mama likes.

Recently completed AC odyssey. Lot of elements look similar.

But...

...the way enemy react to the blows is way more satisfying. Im very confident that the combat is going to be 100x better than any Assassins creed games out there. It looked way more realistic and intriguing to see enemies flee. Seeing a shadow tearing up their fellow compatriots from the dark of night, i could feel the fear.

Way better than brain dead NPC and enemy AI from Assassins creed. Horse physics looked miles as well.

All in all, way more excited now that i watched it.

Edit; When i first saw the loot picking mechanics, the HUD for enemies, the question marks in the world map, my heart sank. Then i saw the horse physics, the world design and most importantly the combat, i knew it was going to be the next step to Assasins creed formula.

Its is soooo overwhelming to see the ! and ? in your gameplay hud, and SP integrated those to reduce my OCD by making it seamless to the world design. I just pray that its not clear x area, retrieve this object, clear the map out, i look more forward to how engaging the missions and side missions are.

Last edited:

Codes 208

7lm6uB9.jpg

saw this on reddit, gave me a good laugh.

pr0cs

Looks absolutely fantastic, not surprised though as Infamous still looks amazing even though it's long in the tooth. Love me sandbox open world games so can't wait to get lost in that world.
Some of the animations seem a bit wacky, especially when enemies are hit by arrows but that's complaining about minor piddly details.
This fall is shaping up to have some really amazing titles

Shin

Banned
so the Japanese setting here is jarring.
A good you took notice of it also, the buildings are all off compared to Japanese take on that time period.
Faces, voices and all that you can clearly see that it's a western studio trying to tackle Japanese history.

So much potential yet it's wasted (at least to me that have close ties to the nation and/or follow taiga drama's).
In comparison inFamous: SS models look better, by that I mean they look more natural and less out of place.
What's on display in GoTsu is really jarring, it paints a nice picture as a whole and the vegetation looks great but everything doesn't come together well.

Dane

Man, I'm linda interested in this game, but also noticed that there looks like to be a downgrade in visuals.

I really gotta take a better look tomorrow, but combate looks good, I Just don't like slowmo in every kill.

Bryank75

Banned
Wouldn't worry... the wider opinion is VERY positive. If you look at metrics across FB, Youtube and other social networks.

Here is Max Dood

Tyrone magnus

Yong Yea

All super positive with incredibly positive comments.

Last edited:

These are super clean. Where is the source? Is there an uncompressed file somewhere? Looks way sharper than the YT stream

Wouldn't worry, it's just a few xbox fans and contrarians...

Everyone who disagrees with you is either an XBox fan or a contrarian? I think it looks great personally, but aren't we trying to move away from ignorantly and broadly labeling people around here?

Last edited:
Top Bottom