• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play for Ghost of Tsushima 05/14/20 (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm UK)

Bryank75

Banned
These are super clean. Where is the source? Is there an uncompressed file somewhere? Looks way sharper than the YT stream

Everyone who disagrees with you is either an XBox fan or a contrarian? I think it looks great personally, but aren't we trying to move away from ignorantly and broadly labeling people around here?
Yeah, I suppose some have legitimate complaints or points.... it's late here, I'm not thinking before I type anymore....

I think my overall point was, most people are really hyped.

Edited it, so I seem a little less ignorant. Thank you for making me better.

Last edited:

scalman

Wish they made that more different from assassins creed. Now its just another AC who wants it in samurai times before valhalla. It looks like ac it feels like ac it shoots bows like ac. Its not that big though but its no much different too.

mortal

Gold Member
Nn65MDF.gif
SSC9n1b.gif
I7JGt46.gif

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I forgot this was today and even though I no longer have a PS4 I wanted to see it. I just got done watching the the trailer and OMG, this game looks spectacular. I can agree with the comments that it's AC: Japan, but to me that's great, I love the new Assassin's Creed games and this one looks not only beautiful but like it would be a lot of fun too.

I love all the opportunities to explore. I love the animals and how they aid in exploration. The different combat styles and animations are really cool. It's awesome hey've included so many features and option too, If this has a decent story it will be a major home run.

This is the first game I've seen from Sony that makes me wish I'd held on to my PS4 longer. If GoT is half as good as it looks in this trailer I foresee a lot of GotY awards. I'm jealous I can't play this one, but enjoy it you lucky Sony bros.

PanzerAzel

Color me impressed, that’s how you do a demo.

I’m loving the direction they’re going with the combat. Been craving some Bushido Blade gameplay for years, and to have a combat system that conveys the brevity and lethality of the engagements and weapons with one hit kills looks incredible. If they can implement the mechanics properly to bring in a decent semblance of skill this is looking to be very promising. Stealth looks decent enough, if not all that indifferent from the many that’ve preceded it.

But man.....having a stand off in a bamboo forest, waiting for that right moment to strike in the breeze, dropping an opponent in one swift well-timed counter strike is my Kurosawa nerdgasm dream come true. My hype for this has increased tenfold.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Another thing I'm really liking here is how fast and smooth your character pick stuff up, even when his riding on his horse. Soooooo glad they didn't go RDR2 route to make pain in the ass to do anything just for sake of hyper realism. Sucker Punch understands they are making video game here.

turtlepowa

Banned
Great graphics, but world looks empty and gameplay like Assassins Creed. Still on my watchlist.

Last edited:

GenericUser

After seeing the UE5 demo, this looks like last gen lol. Keep that weebshit for yourself sucker punch.

EDIT:
also: SonyFirstPartyExclusiveTemplate.jpg

Always the same boring stuff from the first party studios - yawn.

Last edited:

Eanox

Very excited for GoT. I hope there are a lot of things we can on that open world game.

also,An open world RPG from Playstation studio. gasp. Imagine the possibilities.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After seeing the UE5 demo, this looks like last gen lol. Keep that weebshit for yourself sucker punch.
giphy.gif

What am I reading here!? I mean you do know its a PS4 game not PS5.....right? I don't know what exactly were you expecting? Also "weebshit"!!? are you telling western developers are not allowed to make Japanese setting? I mean Japanese developers make games in western setting like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

GenericUser

giphy.gif

What am I reading here!? I mean you do know its a PS4 game not PS5.....right? I don't know what exactly were you expecting? Also "weebshit"!!? are you telling western developers are not allowed to make Japanese setting? I mean Japanese developers make games in western setting like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
I don't wanna spoil the game for you, no intentions whatsoever. I just can't get excited for these kind of games anymore. So much forced walking/riding, so much downtime, always the same action combat/exploration/story/rpg-element stuff gameplay that I just grew tired off. The weebshit comment I made, was because it looks cringey as fuck to me. Just how the protagonist removes the blood from his blade by swinging it around after every deadly blow. Just not my kind of game. Again: no offense, hope you GoT fans will enjoy the game.

Regarding the graphics. Yeah, PS4 is kinda over for me now that I saw what is possible on the next gen machines. It just looks dated now.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Can you explain this to me? I hear this complain in every game now days, are you expecting 100 of NPCs and animals or something?
Sure, i would like to see some bigger villages and cities, houses and stores you can enter, perhaps a port city, a marketplace, a Dojo, a monastery and so on. Places with many people is what games make feel alive. Also i like to explore the world and see some special/beautiful/weird places/secrets. The Witcher 3, RDR2 or Kingdom Come never felt empty to me. The riding parts in Ghosts remind me of Shadow of the Colossus, nothing there. But we will see soon.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Wish they made that more different from assassins creed. Now its just another AC who wants it in samurai times before valhalla. It looks like ac it feels like ac it shoots bows like ac. Its not that big though but its no much different too.

It didn't look like AC to me. I don't know what it feels like because I haven't played it, and how would you have him shoot the bow ... through his legs?

I don't wanna spoil the game for you, no intentions whatsoever. I just can't get excited for these kind of games anymore. So much forced walking/riding, so much downtime, always the same action combat/exploration/story/rpg-element stuff gameplay that I just grew tired off. The weebshit comment I made, was because it looks cringey as fuck to me. Just how the protagonist removes the blood from his blade by swinging it around after every deadly blow. Just not my kind of game. Again: no offense, hope you GoT fans will enjoy the game.

Regarding the graphics. Yeah, PS4 is kinda over for me now that I saw what is possible on the next gen machines. It just looks dated now.

So now its cringe to see a guy handle his sword? Damn it sure is hard to please gamers today. The game is going for historical accuracy and fantasy. I dont know what cringe...its all battle talk and samurai wisdom quotes. Its a game like any other. The UE5...its a tech demo, what was so impressive there story wise? Oh forgot, there is no story it just a show off that still wont bee seen on next gen consoles years to come. They havent even matched UE4 presentations from 7 years ago, you gotta curb your expectations. A game to utilize UE5 engine like that is looooooong ways off.

Bartski

Gold Member
So many complains here about exactly what makes this game so fresh and exciting to me, just goes to show how much our taste can differ and that's ok.
To me one hit counterkill combat is exactly where it's at, I hope it works both ways and if that's a hard mode - thats the mode I'll be playing. Preordered the game yesterday and can't wait to learn more!

Another thing I'm really liking here is how fast and smooth your character pick stuff up, even when his riding on his horse. Soooooo glad they didn't go RDR2 route to make pain in the ass to do anything just for sake of hyper realism. Sucker Punch understands they are making video game here.
That's actually the only thing that I really hate about it, the only immersion breaker visible on screen and while a perfect design choice for many other games - imo not for this one. Even more worrisome as it's probably justified by you having to constantly collect resources in large quantities, I assume arrow crafting but we have to wait and see how the economy works.

Fenris Wolf

Liked the show, But imo there was nothing original in the gameplay. Not that it's a bad thing, Quiet the contrary.
I think the gameplay leans too much on being an AC on Japanese setting which is... fantastic since we never got an actual AC like that
And i think it will perform pretty well. other than that, I feel the graphics were lower than my expectations (which may be my fault) but i was judging based on older trailers.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
My sides! Wtf does this even mean hahaha I'm laughing my ass off
Just as someone like what they see there are others that don't and there's a reason for that.
I assume you're not into the country, it's history or follow anything about it closely so GoTsu looks great to you.
Reverse that and you'll get it does not look great to me and some others, makes sense to you now yes?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not to trying to say that the ones on GoT looks perfect, but for good reactions you kinda need some pre canned animations just like TLoU and Uncharted, even Hitman figured that one out.

You have to use some key animations because if not the body goes limp into ragdoll before when we expect from movies or otherwise.
Even Euphoria, the GTA thingy tries to use some animations before going full ragdoll.

Using only ragdolls always look wonky, straight out of 2006.
It will still looks better than having the samey precanned animation that doesn't take in account angle, the kinetic force of the hit, where you hit etc.

But yeah a mix of precanned and ragdoll with some physics involved is for the best.

Rdr2 use euphoria and he arguably has the most satisfying bow combat ever in terms of reaction and how the enemy react, there is no kill that is exactly the same.

Even tlou that don't use euphoria has realistic hit reaction, if you hit a leg, that leg goes to the air because of the kinetic force and the enemy fall down realistically.

What you see in tsushima just looks wrong, it is a an overly dramatic canned animation that maybe looks powerfull, but not when you hit an enemy thousand of times during 40-50 hours and seeing the same 1-2-3 animation over and over again.

Infamous 3 has the same problem, enemies have a couple of scripted animation for when you hit them, but there looks a little better because you hot them with powers so an overly exagerated animation it looks a bit better, but still samey and ugly to see after 30 hours.

There is a reason why rdr2 has a shitload of brutal kill compilation on yt, far more than any game, because dynamic kills are always different and satisfying to watch, it was the only reason i enjoyed combat in rdr2 even with that shitty aim and cover system.

Last edited:

GymWolf

EDIT:
also: SonyFirstPartyExclusiveTemplate.jpg

Always the same boring stuff from the first party studios - yawn.
Dude, every game looks last gen compared to a nextgen engine demo...

Saw first few seconds unwillingly. Already in. They showed that guide wind mechanic. Gave shadow of the colossus vibe to exploration.

Japan looks like during cherry blossom. I will spend a lot of time exploring.

DonF

Just as someone like what they see there are others that don't and there's a reason for that.
I assume you're not into the country, it's history or follow anything about it closely so GoTsu looks great to you.
Reverse that and you'll get it does not look great to me and some others, makes sense to you now yes?
How is sekiro authentic? When in Japan history some dude had to kill a giant ape... twice?
Sekiro is fantasy, and its great. Ghost looks like it's a romanticization of real events.

Top Bottom