• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store 06/26/08

Pimpwerx

Marty Chinn said:
Yes. You can only deactivate a system directly from the system. So before I sent it in, I logged into every account I had on my system, deactivated the PS3, and then deactivated the PSP. Some accounts have used their full five slot allocation so I know it works as I'm able to reactivate my new system.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Again, there needs to be a better explanation for how to activate/deactivate game-shares. I guess I'll ask my share friends if they need my games anymore. If not, I'll ask them to deactivate. I don't use any of their games anymore, but they sure helped me a ton when I was just starting up. PEACE.

akachan ningen said:
Great. Japan gets einhander and xenogears, we get medievil.
angry.gif

We didn't get jack shit, the PSOne classics for Eu and NA is pathetic.

OT I don't see HSG5 demo anywhere...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I can't seem to download any 720p WMVs from gamevideos.com on the PS3 browser despite working fine on GameTrailers. Any tips?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Strange that the MGS4 Database thingy isn't in the top downloads yet the theme and trailer still are. Like the new PSN Theme icons but the background sucks so I changed wallpaper and kept nice bluey icons! :D In the process of d/l'ing the golf demo~

angelfly

ascii42 said:
Did I read the Topspin description right? Are they seriously having console exclusive athletes?

The PS3 version is the only one with Rafael Nadal and that's as far as the exclusives go.

Ok, I just got home and I can at least download on six accounts. Granted, only four of them have paid content, so I'm not sure what the deal is with this cap. Speevy is the only person I've seen report this problem.

Speevy

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Speevy is the only person I've seen report this problem.

And this wondrous fact is no less true as a result.

I would actually call Sony, seeing as I've spent hundreds of dollars of my own money on these games, but they'd just tell me that I shouldn't share.

RuGalz

Speevy said:

I would actually call Sony, seeing as I've spent hundreds of dollars of my own money on these games, but they'd just tell me that I shouldn't share.

Tell them it's cuz your friends came over and wanted to play the game together on your PS3 and you ran into this problem.

Steroyd

angelfly said:
The PS3 version is the only one with Rafael Nadal and that's as far as the exclusives go.

:O

As a Nadal fanboy I'm relieved it's not the other way round on Xbox 360 but.. Why!? Blu-ray? lol.

Having the number 2 seed in the world console exclusive is unethical for a sports game.

Speevy said:

Not saying it's not true. I'm just wondering if there's something on your end where either you didn't understand something, you're miscommunicating or there's simply something wrong with your system. I don't know, but I would have imagine with how wide spread sharing is, that this would have popped up more than one time.

How come you can't count the number of accounts that work?

M3wThr33

Banned
The Warcraft song ain't bad, but the gurgling just reminds me of the South Park Britney Spears. :(

Didn't play Hail to the Chimp, but I watched the opening for a while. Accidentally quit and realized it pauses downloads. Stupid game. I just want my Weezer to download.

Tntnnbltn

M3wThr33 said:
Didn't play Hail to the Chimp, but I watched the opening for a while. Accidentally quit and realized it pauses downloads. Stupid game. I just want my Weezer to download.
Must be because it has online multiplayer, though you'd think they'd wait until you start a multiplayer game to pause the downloads.

Speevy

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Not saying it's not true. I'm just wondering if there's something on your end where either you didn't understand something, you're miscommunicating or there's simply something wrong with your system. I don't know, but I would have imagine with how wide spread sharing is, that this would have popped up more than one time.

How come you can't count the number of accounts that work?

I did something very silly.

Liquidmetal14 started me sharing and from there I became addicted to it. I was giving games away right and left, to who knows what accounts and expecting nothing in return.

I also downloaded from several people.

After I figured out that the practice wasn't an infinite well, I started to assess what I was doing, and began figurng what content I needed and didn't need. I have 3 users (and no more than 3) that have their names as the owner's of my system's shared games.

Those people know who they are. Liquidmetal14 is one of them.

I deleted the other accounts off my system and even asked another user if I could deactivate my system under his account, thinking that would solve the problem.

I can still create an account, buy anything I want, and share it just as anyone else can.

But I cannot log into any new accounts (like yours for example) without it giving me a "This account is activated on more than 5 PS3s" error every time.

That's the problem. I don't know why it happened, but I doubt anything is wrong with my PS3 because the thing has held up flawlessly in every regard. If anything is amiss, it's Sony's software.

buffi

Banned
I have 5 accounts myself (EU, USA, Japan, HK, Australia) where all of them have purchased content except Australis which has only been used to download some music videos. I only gameshare with a friend, and have his Hong Kong and USA account on my PS3 as well, totalling 7 accounts where 6 of them has purchased stuff without issues.

Your PS3 seems borked or something.

edit: Sorry, I misread. I thought you were the guy complaining about there being a 5 working account max on PS3.

M3wThr33

Banned
Speevy said:

Liquidmetal14 started me sharing and from there I became addicted to it. I was giving games away right and left, to who knows what accounts and expecting nothing in return.

After I figured out that the practice wasn't an infinite well, I started to assess what I was doing, and began figurng what content I needed and didn't need. I have 3 users (and no more than 3) that have their names as the owner's of my system's shared games.

I deleted the other accounts off my system and even asked another user if I could deactivate my system under his account, thinking that would solve the problem.

I can still create an account, buy anything I want, and share it just as anyone else can.

But I cannot log into any new accounts (like yours for example) without it giving me a "This account is activated on more than 5 PS3s" error every time.

That's the problem. I don't know why it happened, but I doubt anything is wrong with my PS3 because the thing has held up flawlessly in every regard. If anything is amiss, it's Sony's software.

I have a feeling there's too many licenses stored on the PS3. How many total games do you have active amongst all accounts?

Speevy

Banned
buffi said:
I have 5 accounts myself (EU, USA, Japan, HK, Australia) where all of them have purchased content except Australis which has only been used to download some music videos. I only gameshare with a friend, and have his Hong Kong and USA account on my PS3 as well, totalling 7 accounts where 6 of them has purchased stuff without issues.

Your PS3 seems borked or something.

I have an acct for every region too. My accts are not the problem. I just can't use any new ones that were created on another machine.

lupinko

Actually since we're all on the DRM topic, if a friend who is sharing your account just downloads a demo off your download list and nothing major in particular (a game, dlc, etc.), does that activate the account on the PS3? Or is an account activated as soon as you apply it to a User on your console?

Because when you download a demo it starts off with an activation message.

Speevy

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
I have a feeling there's too many licenses stored on the PS3. How many total games do you have active amongst all accounts?

18 that aren't mine, 65 total

but I can dl infinitely from those same accts

M3wThr33

Banned
But I mean, how many non-native accounts that still have a presence? I have a feeling there's license-junk in there for a small amount of memory they never intend to fill.

Speevy said:
I have an acct for every region too. My accts are not the problem. I just can't use any new ones that were created on another machine.

Sounds like something which can be considered a bug in the software which probably fell outside of their (Sony) normal QA Testing. Probably because they didn't consider that people would be using a machine with so many external accounts.

Historical Programming Issue
*** I recall one project I worked on where we were making the first playable video clips on PDA's.

At the time it was pretty revolutionary and no other device had video like we were doing on a PDA. We designed and tested it using megabyte files which were outrageous for a PDA at the time.

The software worked great until PDA Memory flash cards/sticks BOOMED in size 8 / 16 / 32 / 256 MB.

The software video player BLEW UP on files bigger than 16 MB. It was never designed properly for video file sizes beyond 16 megabytes. It was our fault and we had to patch the software.

I wonder if this is something similar. For sure Speevy they didn't design the PS3 operating system for "File Sharing" with lots of people.

I might suggest one thing which might fix it though? Back up the whole system to an external USB drive. Then reformat or simply restore the backup.

*** Whatever cached up user accounts probably won't be backed up as well since that type of historical information isn't worth backing up. Its worth a shot.

Speevy

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
But I mean, how many non-native accounts that still have a presence? I have a feeling there's license-junk in there for a small amount of memory they never intend to fill.

how do you check that? I already deleted non essential accts, there are only 3 not created on this system

Speevy

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
Sounds like something which can be considered a bug in the software which probably fell outside of their (Sony) normal QA Testing. Probably because they didn't consider that people would be using a machine with so many external accounts.

Historical Programming Issue
*** I recall one project I worked on where we were making the first playable video clips on PDA's.

At the time it was pretty revolutionary and no other device had video like we were doing on a PDA. We designed and tested it using megabyte files which were outrageous for a PDA at the time.

The software worked great until PDA Memory flash cards/sticks BOOMED in size 8 / 16 / 32 / 256 MB.

The software video player BLEW UP on files bigger than 16 MB. It was never designed properly for video file sizes beyond 16 megabytes. It was our fault and we had to patch the software.

I wonder if this is something similar. For sure Speevy they didn't design the PS3 operating system for "File Sharing" with lots of people.

I might suggest one thing which might fix it though? Back up the whole system to an external USB drive. Then reformat or simply restore the backup.

*** Whatever cached up user accounts probably won't be backed up as well since that type of historical information isn't worth backing up. Its worth a shot.

Believe me, I considered this, but is it worth the risk?

How do I know for sure that I won't lose every single shared game and the right to download it? How do I know I won't lose any number of games I bought? I don't want to spend extra time downloading games.

I have an external hard drive but I don't know if I trust it or the PS3 that much.

Speevy said:

Are you sure the accounts you tried had not used up their shared slots? That error message to me sounds like you have some other issue instead of there being a limit of the number of non created accounts you can use. The fact that you did so many things in a sloppy way makes me wonder if there isn't something you specifically did rather than there being a limit to the number of external accounts.

M3wThr33

Banned
Speevy said:
Believe me, I considered this, but is it worth the risk?

How do I know for sure that I won't lose every single shared game and the right to download it? How do I know I won't lose any number of games I bought? I don't want to spend extra time downloading games.

I have an external hard drive but I don't know if I trust it or the PS3 that much.
If you have access to the account and can sign on to the PSN store, you can redownload it. Always. (Unless it's Singstar)

Speevy

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
If you have access to the account and can sign on to the PSN store, you can redownload it. Always. (Unless it's Singstar)

But that's a pain in the rear for 65 pieces of content.

Also, what if I bought a character in PAIN, or the expansion pack? What if those are gone and the game reverts back?

It's a lot to think about.

Speevy

Banned
Also, when you back up your hard drive it says copyright issues may effect restoring some content.

What does that even mean?

lupinko

Speevy said:
Also, when you back up your hard drive it says copyright issues may effect restoring some content.

What does that even mean?

I think it may have something to do with restoring your harddrive to a new/different PS3, because when I restored it to my PS3, all my licence specific stuff stayed intact with no problems.

M3wThr33

Banned
Speevy said:
But that's a pain in the rear for 65 pieces of content.

Also, what if I bought a character in PAIN, or the expansion pack? What if those are gone and the game reverts back?

It's a lot to think about.

Seriously, it'll be fine.

M3wThr33

Banned
Speevy said:
Alright, well I'm gonna do it, and kill you if it doesn't work out.

That's right, YOU.
I'll insure you up to $20 for anything that goes wrong.

But BACKUP the system. Or at least your game saves.

Speevy

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
I'll insure you up to $20 for anything that goes wrong.

But BACKUP the system. Or at least your game saves.

Of course. It backed up 27 GB. And I'm only kidding.

If bad came to worse, I have 3 accounts which contain the majority of my content, and they belong to me. The other three are other users who I chat with regularly. No problem.

Speevy said:
Positive. 100%

I tried downloading from accounts that had never shared anything before.

Something doesn't seem right because the error message does not match what you're describing. Combine that with nobody else ever reporting such an issue, and I have to think that there's something just with how you did things that is unjique to your situation.....

Top Bottom