• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 08/21/08

McLovin

Volcynika said:
I've been at it for 30 minutes and I'm only at 33% :(
Cool I didn't know you had a ps3! Hey thanks for the help in TF2. it was the cloak that messed me up. I was in this room today and completely destroyed all the sentry/teleporters/dispensers it was so much fun XD. My PSN is Quarry if you have room please add me.
edit-Unleashed just finished :D

Elios83

OMG this week Jeanne D'arc (not released in Europe) + Ratchet for me :O Awesome week!
And The Last Guy is really a great game.

Star Wars is ok I guess, it's a good game but nothing that makes me want to buy the game.

mollipen

DMPrince said:
Nah. isn't it like 19.99 in game stores now? :lol oh well. i have it on UMD but i would prefer a digital form on the go

Been on clearance at Target for like months now for $14.99 or less (if memory serves me correct). I know why Sony prices the PSP games the way they do, but it's still frustrating. There's next to no where selling Parappa PSP anywhere close to that price anymore.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
why is psn so shy about actually using the video preview feature on the item pages?

i figured since it was so damn awesome, they'd have a little youtube-type video on each page, so you can pop it up and see if you should get it or not. but it really rare.

Evlar

Banned
Jeanne D'Arc is on PSN? I just picked the game back up after setting it aside for nine months. What a coincidence. Try it out. It's a good strategy game!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mattiewheels said:
why is psn so shy about actually using the video preview feature on the item pages?

i figured since it was so damn awesome, they'd have a little youtube-type video on each page, so you can pop it up and see if you should get it or not. but it really rare.
I wondered that too, very few games actually use this feature in the store.

kenta

Has no PEINS
The Last Guy is kinda frustrating, I keep getting stuck on stupid small objects and the dudes only exit buildings from one side

Can't decide whether or not I'll buy it

Acid08

Banned
kenta said:
The Last Guy is kinda frustrating, I keep getting stuck on stupid small objects and the dudes only exit buildings from one side

Can't decide whether or not I'll buy it
Well the full game isn't out yet so you have a little while to decide.

maxax said:
Huuuuuge update. I wish they would stop putting out all these Vampire Rain Trailers, who watches them anyway? :lol

Jeanne D'Arc as a downloadable is really tempting. I wish they made the PSP games a little cheaper though, considering their age. 14.99 would probably be the sweet spot for an impulse buy with this game. The way it is I'll wait a bit until I have a real SRPG urge.

SW: TFU looks way better than I thought.

Really good updates all over the world today. Sony is really getting better at this.
Like I said with the video store, SCEA has to be careful about pricing since some retailers still carry particular PSP games sold at the PS Store, and SCEA doesn't want to price them at a point it's lower than most retailers (it's a sensitive issues since retailers are their to sell merchandise, and are usually not happy when their sales get cut due to somewhere selling it for less, which explains why most movie prices are the same or more on PSN Video Store).

Anyway, pretty good update. Kratos being $2 was a bit much (I thought it would be $1), but I still bought because I like Kratos.

EGM92

Force Unleashed Demo is pretty sweet thus far, I may pick this game up if I have enough funds for it, one of the better star wars games I played.

Downloading Ratchet right now but that's going to take about an hour to download. Picked up the Last Guy demo looks sweet can't wait to get into that. Great update overall this week.

Any word on if Dark Mist will make it to the NA PSN? I really want the game bad but I don't have an entropay setup.

Didn't really enjoy Force Unleashed. Messing with the physics is somewhat fun, specially using the force blast to bend metal, but that's where the fun ends. And they QTEs are so badly implemented...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
dallow_bg said:
I wondered that too, very few games actually use this feature in the store.
i know, how hard is it to link a youtube-type vid to each thing on the store? it's such a great feature, and they don't even use it for the big games like ratchet and clank.

maxax

TFU: Really not feeling it.
You really feel powerful and the combos are nice and all, but your hits lack impact and everything feels very cheaply made. It's also hard to control where to throw stuff and once you hit something, it doesn't feel as if it really did anything. I had the impression that the apprentice even looked better in SC IV.

Not going to bother with it. Not a SW fan, so I guess the game isn't really made for me anyway. Prediction: 7 - 7.5/10.

decon

Okay how come PSP games and the Buzz addon doesn't show up on Lastest on the EU store?

Here's another question for you Sony. Why would I want to buy a PSP game for 5 euro more in digital format? Isn't the idea that digital games should be cheaper?

mollipen

JB1981 said:
PSN Store has been really killer lately. Way to turn shit around, Sony.

See, I keep seeing comments like this in this thread, and I'm a bit confused. What was so "OMG awesome!" about today's update? One PSN game, on PSP game, a couple demos, a golf character, and some miscellaneous other stuff.

I don't get the excitement over that. We shouldn't be excited to get a new PSP (or PS1) game, because we should be getting at least one every damn week. Video store updates shouldn't be exciting, at least if Sony has any interest in actually trying to compete with things like iTunes and Amazon. And as far as demos, PS store is still ridiculously behind the Xbox Marketplace, and as much as I like to keep hoping that that will change, I'm getting less and less convinced that it will.

depward

Man, no NHL 09 demo today blows - was so looking forward to that. Saw the press release ON EA NHL 09's SITE about the demo hitting PSN on the 21st and the 360 demo being 'early in September' and then poof, it's gone. I guess Peter Moore wouldn't allow the demo to be on the PS3 before the 360 :lol

depward said:
Man, no NHL 09 demo today blows - was so looking forward to that. Saw the press release ON EA NHL 09's SITE about the demo hitting PSN on the 21st and the 360 demo being 'early in September' and then poof, it's gone. I guess Peter Moore wouldn't allow the demo to be on the PS3 before the 360 :lol

it's still coming out on ps3 first. just one week early instead of 2. seems fair though.

Dante

shidoshi said:
See, I keep seeing comments like this in this thread, and I'm a bit confused. What was so "OMG awesome!" about today's update? One PSN game, on PSP game, a couple demos, a golf character, and some miscellaneous other stuff.

I don't get the excitement over that. We shouldn't be excited to get a new PSP (or PS1) game, because we should be getting at least one every damn week. Video store updates shouldn't be exciting, at least if Sony has any interest in actually trying to compete with things like iTunes and Amazon. And as far as demos, PS store is still ridiculously behind the Xbox Marketplace, and as much as I like to keep hoping that that will change, I'm getting less and less convinced that it will.

Why don't you post the demo's between the PSN and Live over the past 2 months, and I think you'll be shocked how close they are. Unless there's some secret Live demo's I don't know about, then again I'm a silver member so I don't see everything when it comes out.

maxax

shidoshi said:

There's something for everybody. It's not OMG awesome, it's just totally enough to satisfy a lot of people.

PS3 game
PSP game
Add-on content for various games
Demos for games people are excited about
Themes/Wallpapers

Do you really need more for one week? The last few weeks basically all had similar updates, if it keeps up, I have nothing to complain about, when it comes to SCEA at least.

Lain

shidoshi said:

PS3 users are now used to getting kicked in the nuts, so when they only get punched down there, they are all "OMG awesome!".
It was a good update today, but I'm totally with you otherwise.

mollipen

Dante said:
Why don't you post the demo's between the PSN and Live over the past 2 months, and I think you'll be shocked how close they are.

Sure, but not what I meant. I go to Xbox Live Marketplace, and day-and-date with the release of a new XBLA title, there's a demo there waiting for me as well. Sony REALLY needs to make sure that's the exact same situations on the PS Store.

Lain said:
PS3 users are now used to getting kicked in the nuts, so when they only get punched down there, they are all "OMG awesome!".
It was a good update today, but I'm totally with you otherwise.

Granted, I haven't been a PS3 owner since the beginning, but I'm well used to getting kicked in the nuts for the time that I have been. I'm the type that is happy to look a gift horse in the mouth, though, and instead of being happy that Sony isn't being terrible like usual, I'll still bitch that they shouldn't be terrible in the first place.

Dante

shidoshi said:
Sure, but not what I meant. I go to Xbox Live Marketplace, and day-and-date with the release of a new XBLA title, there's a demo there waiting for me as well. Sony REALLY needs to make sure that's the exact same situations on the PS Store.

OK, I guess I could see that, but the last few PSN games I bought all had demo's
: Bionic Commando, Eden, Siren, etc.... Sure there's no R&C demo, but with the game being 2-4 hours long my guess is they don't want to give too much away. With The Last Guy demo going up.....Maybe they are adding demo's for most games they release from here on out?

I will say I LOVE the weekly format as it's easy for me to keep up with all the releases. I know every Thursday to go to What's new and queue everything up, I wasn't a fan of the weekly update at first, but it's grown on me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
shidoshi said:
Granted, I haven't been a PS3 owner since the beginning, but I'm well used to getting kicked in the nuts for the time that I have been. I'm the type that is happy to look a gift horse in the mouth, though, and instead of being happy that Sony isn't being terrible like usual, I'll still bitch that they shouldn't be terrible in the first place.
I'm not convinced that's such a good idea at all for them, for maximizing sales. There's reason retail games often don't have any kind of demos for both platforms. I'm frankly surprised MS has introduced that mandatory demo rule, it's an awfully friendly move by them, but I think it's hurting sales more than it helps.

mollipen

maxax said:
Do you really need more for one week? The last few weeks basically all had similar updates, if it keeps up, I have nothing to complain about, when it comes to SCEA at least.

Yes, we do. Minimum each week should be one PS1 game and one PSP game, but realistically there should be more PS1 games each week. I don't give a shit about whatever the problem Sony is saying there is with PS1 games: if Sony Japan can get 4+ games on the service each week, so can Sony America.

As well, with the shitty state of PSP when it comes to the retail world, it's pathetic the effort Sony has put into digital PSP releases so far. I go to my local store, and if I'm lucky they have maybe 20 games total for the thing. If I'm new to the PSP, and I see that situation everywhere, why am I going to want to buy the PSP if I'm primarily interested in games? Every single PSP game that isn't currently active in retail should be up for downloading, at minimum the games from Sony themselves.

Not only would this give people more incentive to buy a PSP (since they would have more games easily available to them), but the more options you give people to get PSP games, the less chances you give them to turn to the piracy route. Plus, unless Sony can pull some magic and completely fix the piracy situation on the PSP, pushing people to digital is the route Sony should be taking anyhow.

Bare minimum, when a new SCEA-published game hits, it should be both in stores and up as a digital download. No exceptions. Why Patapon wasn't and still isn't up just baffled me.

Marconelly said:
I'm not convinced that's such a good idea at all for them, for maximizing sales. There's reason retail games often don't have any kind of demos for both platforms. I'm frankly surprised MS has introduced that mandatory demo rule, it's an awfully friendly move by them, but I think it's hurting sales more than it helps.

I understand that argument, absolutely. But looking from the consumer's perspective, if I want to know if a retail game is any good... and if we take out the "play at a friend's" option... I have multiple ways to try out a game before spending money on it. With digital downloads, I have NO way to know what I'm getting other than doing a blind buy. iPhone store, from what I understand, is also currently suffering this problem.

I'm also not 100% convinced when it comes to this argument about demos hurting games. It's going to hurt shitty games, sure, but a lot of things are going to hurt a shitty game; and I can't feel bad for a company if a demo has convinced people to avoid their shitty game.

Good games, no way. There's just absolutely no way I can believe that a demo would hurt a great game sales wise. And I could easily give a rundown of the games I never would have touched had it not been for a demo.

is there a way to split the cost of Q4B with my brother? I share psn games with him but Im not sure if I can split the cost? Thanks

Top Bottom