• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 08/21/08

Dizzan said:
Agreed.

All PSP games should be released via PSN.

Bingo. I don't like umds and have a large memory stick in my psp. I know that if I wait a bit longer, Sony will release the new Hot Shots on the PSN at least.

Dizzan

MINI Member
bearcatjosh said:
Bingo. I don't like umds and have a large memory stick in my psp. I know that if I wait a bit longer, Sony will release the new Hot Shots on the PSN at least.

I bought HS2 on umd. I couldn't wait for them to release it on psn. SOOO good.

I am waiting though, for God of War Coo to be released.

lupinko

Zoe said:
Direct access to the Japanese developers, looser holds on rights, JP PSN initiative, no localization worries

Pick your fav.

Where is that bunny from in your avatar?

And for the PS1 thing, I just wanted to add that SCEA is also just lazy (and doesn't like money, hence the lack of PSN cards on this side of the pacific).

Tntnnbltn

lupinko said:
And for the PS1 thing, I just wanted to add that SCEA is also just lazy (and doesn't like money, hence the lack of PSN cards on this side of the pacific).

A post from a previous Playstation Store thread...
Jim said:
SCEA is actually "republishing" 3rd party PS one classics themselves since they need to make changes to make sure they work on the PSP and all that. All the games I mentioned above will be published by SCEA.

SCEE and SCEJ haven't been doing that, hence their greater third-party support for PSone Classics.

zoku88

So, what games did he mention above? I must know what will be avaiable. Suikoden was on the list Jim gave, yes?

Please?

Pretty please? :(

lupinko said:
Where is that bunny from in your avatar?

I posted this many times before, but Shuhei Yoshida explains the reason
"I'd like to see more games on that as well ... we haven't done enough with third party publishers."
Yoshida explained that these digital downloads don't offer much profit, calling the potential monies "insignificant." He also noted that there are many issues involving licensing, especially with the music found in older games. That usually adds to the difficulty of bringing back PS1 games.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/17/sony-exec-admits-we-havent-done-enough-with-third-parties-for/

John Diamonon from Capcom himself explains lack of PS1 games (or possibly why we don't see many VC games these days either:
When developers first created games on the PSone, not many companies accounted for their games being ported in the digital space, 10 to 13 years later. The reason why you don’t see too many games on the PSone classics right now is because there are so many legal and licensing challenges for the developer. It’s possible that the developer no longer owns the IP, or the rights to the music, voice overs, images, etc.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...oday-on-the-psn/comment-page-1/#comment-98744

I wouldn't be surprised if SCEA tried to contact someone whether it was all right to put a PS1 download into the PS Store, and never got a call back.

As for the whole PSN Card stories (I can get PSN Cards myself due to living in areas that sell them), there are a few quirks with them. First off, early PSN Cards had issues where a retailer sold too early and SCEA's system wasn't up to be notified a PSN Card was activated. There were also some minor server errors and such early on. And even if you get a PSN Card, you might need to clear cookies/cache every time you enter one because it sometimes stores old PIN number data. PSN Cards are not in clam shell packaging or whatever packaging (like most Wii Points and XBLM cards). They are like iTunes pre-paid cards/calling cards/etc. A store will receive the blank cards, but the have no value until they are taken to the register and swiped. Some retailers from what I heard (like GameStop) doesn't have it in their system to deal with these types of cards, which may explain why they might not ever get them (it's more likely a gas station and drug store will get them in, although Wal-Mart and Target may because their XBLM Cards are a lot like PSN Cards). Once a card is activated, it cannot be returned. I believe SCEA does this method so PSN Cards cannot be stolen and they get the money funded to them as soon as a card is purchased (You do get taxed when purchasing a card). Those who live in other countries with a NA PS3 and don't have a U.S. address listed, a PSN Card might work when being added, but it probably won't work if purchases are made, since PSN needs to verify where the address is located within the U.S. to see if tax needs to be charged (some states tax PSN purchases since the PS Store is technically an online store due to using currency). The cards for Canada would most likely be different because they need to be in Canadian currency (it says USD on the PSN Card itself).

I did buy Quest For Booty, but haven't had much chance to play it. Like it so far.

Tntnnbltn

zoku88 said:
So, what games did he mention above? I must know what will be avaiable. Suikoden was on the list Jim gave, yes?

Please?

Pretty please? :(
Castlevania Chronicles
Wipeout XL
Rayman
Street Fighter Alpha
Jet Moto 3
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

(The post I quoted was from January 2008)

angelfly

Picked up Ore no Ryouri today since I haven't played it before and I remember a lot of people here talking about it. I'm loving the game so far. Nice mix of Cooking Mama and Yoshinoya.

JETPACKS RAWR
angry.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sceners are going to flip if Linger in Shadows ends up not being free...

GeoramA said:
It's described as "interactive digital art"

Other than that, I'm confused like everyone else.
"interactive digital art" is exactly what it is. Remember FR08 and other realtime visual demos? This is like those, only it allows for some interactivity. You can pause any scene and zoom into things, and by zooming into correct details, you find some locks that open up secret parts of the demo. That's how it works in a nutshell. The whole thing is made by 2 guys basically, from the engine to art and animation to music, everything.

kuYuri

Randomly checking the Japanese PS store, I see that a Soul Calibur IV demo (879 MB) went up, as well as a bunch of Guitar Hero 3 song packs for that market.

Downloading demo now.

Also, demo is in full English on my US console.

zeloe326

Strider2K99 said:
Randomly checking the Japanese PS store, I see that a Soul Calibur IV demo (879 MB) went up, as well as a bunch of Guitar Hero 3 song packs for that market.

Downloading demo now.

Also, demo is in full English on my US console.

Thanks, I have been hesitating to pick this one up, mabey this demo will tip me over the edge.

angelfly

Full JP update:

-Bunch of GH3 DLC I don't feel like typing out
-Soul Calibur 4 demo
-Vampire Rain trial mission set 1
-Vampire Rain character pack 2
-Carom Shot 2 (PS1)
-G Darius (PS1)
-Seirishoukan: Princess of Darkness (PS1)
-Blocks (PS1)
-Bomberman Fantasy Race (PS1)
-Yamasa Digi Selection 2 (PS1)

angelfly said:
Full JP update:

-Bunch of GH3 DLC I don't feel like typing out
-Soul Calibur 4 demo
-Vampire Rain trial mission set 1
-Vampire Rain character pack 2
-Carom Shot 2 (PS1)
-G Darius (PS1)
-Seirishoukan: Princess of Darkness (PS1)
-Blocks (PS1)
-Bomberman Fantasy Race (PS1)
-Yamasa Digi Selection 2 (PS1)
Holyshit!! Just what I wanted to help me decide on either to get it or not!! :D

xero273

BoilersFan23 said:
As for the whole PSN Card stories (I can get PSN Cards myself due to living in areas that sell them), there are a few quirks with them. First off, early PSN Cards had issues where a retailer sold too early and SCEA's system wasn't up to be notified a PSN Card was activated. There were also some minor server errors and such early on. And even if you get a PSN Card, you might need to clear cookies/cache every time you enter one because it sometimes stores old PIN number data. PSN Cards are not in clam shell packaging or whatever packaging (like most Wii Points and XBLM cards). They are like iTunes pre-paid cards/calling cards/etc. A store will receive the blank cards, but the have no value until they are taken to the register and swiped. Some retailers from what I heard (like GameStop) doesn't have it in their system to deal with these types of cards, which may explain why they might not ever get them (it's more likely a gas station and drug store will get them in, although Wal-Mart and Target may because their XBLM Cards are a lot like PSN Cards). Once a card is activated, it cannot be returned. I believe SCEA does this method so PSN Cards cannot be stolen and they get the money funded to them as soon as a card is purchased (You do get taxed when purchasing a card). Those who live in other countries with a NA PS3 and don't have a U.S. address listed, a PSN Card might work when being added, but it probably won't work if purchases are made, since PSN needs to verify where the address is located within the U.S. to see if tax needs to be charged (some states tax PSN purchases since the PS Store is technically an online store due to using currency). The cards for Canada would most likely be different because they need to be in Canadian currency (it says USD on the PSN Card itself).

I did buy Quest For Booty, but haven't had much chance to play it. Like it so far.

http://kotaku.com/5042308/gamestop-wont-have-psn-cards-until-2009

Currently, this is a rumor. Gamestop needs a POS upgrade to sell PSN cards, but that won't happen until next year.

angelfly

Negaiido

Europe Update(well atleast the dutch store)

Demos
[FREE] The Last Guy
[FREE] NHL 09

Games
[4,99 EUROS] Buzz! Junior Jungle Party
[19,99 EUROS] Medal of Honor Heros 2 (PSP)

Add-on
[5,99 EUROS] Warhawk - Operation Fallen Star

Videos
HAWX
E3 2008 - Far Cry 2
Movement - London: Back in the UK
Movement - Bianca Rose Interview
Movement - Doll's House: I Hate Today
Movement - Doll's House Interview
Movement - London: Doing the Tourist Thing
Movement - Bianca Rose: What Will Remain
Movement - Doll's House: 9988
Movement - Bianca Rose: Rainy Nights

Background
[FREE] The Last Guy

edit: I got this from a website but I can't see it in the store ...

sw26

The UK store hasn't been updated yet and we got Medal of Honor last week so our update may be slightly different.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
COME ON! OPERATION FALLEN STAR!

What's taking them???

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
kamorra said:
Does Operation Fallen Star include the other two booster packs?
No. However you will be able to buy all three expansions for 14.99 bucks.

Top Bottom