• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

I bought a power line ethernet adapter for this. I am ready.

I wonder if how cloud syncing will work between the PSTV and Vita. It'd be nice playing stuff at home then at work.

I bought a power line ethernet adapter for this. I am ready.

I wonder if how cloud syncing will work between the PSTV and Vita. It'd be nice playing stuff at home then at work.

I would love to know your impressions/improvements from the powerline adapter. I am looking into getting one just to strengthen the connection throughout my house. I was considering one of the WiFi Powerline Adapters.

IIRC Castlevania and Peacewalker are two games that work on Vita, but do not show up on the Vita store for purchase and have to be transferred from a PS3. That could explain why. But you'd think all PSP games would just work with no problem.
Nope, Peace Walker is available directly on Vita. I should know, I downloaded it and I don't even have a PS3. I'm really disappointed it doesn't work, I wanted to be able to play local multiplayer along with my Vita.

I would love to know your impressions/improvements from the powerline adapter. I am looking into getting one just to strengthen the connection throughout my house. I was considering one of the WiFi Powerline Adapters.

If I can grab a unit at GameStop on Tuesday, I'll definitely chime in with my impressions. I tested it with a video stream on my junker 360 and it worked fine, but I know Remote Play will be more demanding.

If I can grab a unit at GameStop on Tuesday, I'll definitely chime in with my impressions. I tested it with a video stream on my junker 360 and it worked fine, but I know Remote Play will be more demanding.

They sell one that is 500mbps at Best Buy, its on sale this week for $49.99 you can price match it at Amazon to save like $5. If you cannot find it at Gamestop.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Nope, Peace Walker is available directly on Vita. I should know, I downloaded it and I don't even have a PS3. I'm really disappointed it doesn't work, I wanted to be able to play local multiplayer along with my Vita.

And yet despite the U.S. version not working, this video has someone playing the Japanese version on Vita TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnbjV3zEREM

He also plays Neptunia Re;Birth.

So maybe there will be an update/patch for PSP games, too? Would be weird for Japanese versions work, but not U.S. versions. Phantom Breaker Battleground is another game that didn't work for me, but I see is listed on the Japanese compatibility list.

And yet despite the U.S. version not working, this video has someone playing the Japanese version on Vita TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnbjV3zEREM

He also plays Neptunia Re;Birth.

So maybe there will be an update/patch for PSP games, too? Would be weird of Japanese versions work, but not U.S. versions. Phantom Breaker Battleground is another game that didn't work for me, but I see is listed on the Japanese compatibility list.

I don't think any of those particular games would need an update/patch. It's a simple matter of not being on Sony's whitelist for whatever reason. Today I contacted 5pb. Games about Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds; hopefully I get a reply soon.

lord pie

Fwiw, my experience with Ethernet over power has been very poor.

Not all houses work with them. Newer houses can interfere with the signal. Also of the three brands I've tried, I've yet to find an adapter that doesn't have slight coil whine (!).

If you can, I highly recommend Ethernet over coax. It was a dramatic improvement compared to EoP for me.

jwk94

Fwiw, my experience with Ethernet over power has been very poor.

Not all houses work with them. Newer houses can interfere with the signal. Also of the three brands I've tried, I've yet to find an adapter that doesn't have slight coil whine (!).

If you can, I highly recommend Ethernet over coax. It was a dramatic improvement compared to EoP for me.

Ethernet over what?

Not only did Ethernet have a positive effect, the article says that plugging the PS4 and VitaTV into the same router was the only way to make the game feel responsive.

I don't really understand this: I've got a PSTV pre-ordered, mainly for PS4 remote play. I'm going to use a wired LAN connection (I avoid WiFi where possible), but there are going to be a couple of switches between the PSTV and the router.

I'm no network engineer, but I'm struggling to see how this is going to introduce significant additional latency when you compare it to the latency created by encoding/decoding the video.

Any ideas?

Posted this in the PSN thread, but does anyone know if Wipeout 2048 works on the US version of the TV? It seems like there are some discrepancies between the Japanese and Western models, so I'm wondering if anything has changed.

Lyte Edge

Posted this in the PSN thread, but does anyone know if Wipeout 2048 works on the US version of the TV? It seems like there are some discrepancies between the Japanese and Western models, so I'm wondering if anything has changed.

Nope, not supported.

baekshi

Banned

The only difference between the two model is that O is confirm and X is cancel.

However, they are difference between GAMES - not TV. So let's clear up that whichever PS[Vita] TV you pick up, will not make magically work the games.

I had no idea you could wire the PSTV. I just bought an Airport Extreme yesterday which I have hooked up to the PS4 by ethernet. I moved the Airport Express to the bedroom and will wire the PSTV to it on Tuesday.

Can't wait.

Jomjom

Banned
Is there a huge difference with wired vs wireless connection? I'm going to guess there is.

To wire mine I'm going to have to run 25-50 ft of ethernet cable. =(

Lyte Edge

Hmm...I'm very tempted to trade in my Vita for a ~$60 profit now. Do you need Pro membership for the extra $50?

Yes, you do. I saw your post an hour ago and decided to trade up the 1000 model I use for my Japanese account for a 2000. Although I like the OLED screen a lot, I've come to prefer the lighter weight/better battery/more ergonomic form factor of the 2000. I also had 33,000 power up reward points and used them for an additional $25 off coupon, making the price difference $16. But I also had a few old games to get rid of and they ended up owing me $26 in credit, lol. This has been an all-Vita weekend!

fernoca

Don't know if I should start downloading stuff to the 32GB card I'll be using on this.

Hmm...Killzone for sure. UMvC3 is the only cartridge I have, so I'll put it permanently in there.

Ramma2

Ethernet over what?

Ethernet over cable, the antenna or cable TV coax wire that you might have running through your house. Supposed to be much more reliable and faster than ethernet over power, but the adapters are pretty expensive in comparison.

Logash

Getting this solely to play the best version of Persona 4 on the big screen. Also, I've been meaning to play Chrono Trigger but my PS3 controller broke and I can't use the Dualshock 4 on PS1 classics. Can't wait.

I honestly can't wait for next week. Playing my PS4 through my Vita at my girlfriend's place was next gen. But playing on the big screen with a dualshock 4 while at her place will be 10x better.

How do I do this? How do I make my Vita/PSTV do ps4 remote play over the internet? In my mind, it seems like it should be simple to set up.

Getting this solely to play the best version of Persona 4 on the big screen. Also, I've been meaning to play Chrono Trigger but my PS3 controller broke and I can't use the Dualshock 4 on PS1 classics. Can't wait.

You can use the DS4 on PS1 Classics. I think it might be game specific though. Pretty sure it worked when I tested it out in Spyro.

calder

Grabbed a long cat6 cable from work and a bought a cheap unmanaged switch (my router is out of ports and I prefer wired, my PC is next door to my bedroom) in anticipation of Tuesday. Going to play P4G again I think :)

SScorpio

How do I do this? How do I make my Vita/PSTV do ps4 remote play over the internet? In my mind, it seems like it should be simple to set up.

You pair the PS4 and Vita just like normal for in-house remote play. Remote play over the Internet uses UDP port 9304, so if you have a router, make sure that port is forwarded to the PS4. Then just connect to WiFi outside of your home and start the PS4 Link app just like normal.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

There was also an additional Sony support guide. It stated that remote play could use other ports, so to be safe enable ports 9295-9310, I would just forward both TCP and UDP ports.

If you've never setup a port forward before, this site will walk your through it. http://portforward.com/

Logash

You can use the DS4 on PS1 Classics. I think it might be game specific though. Pretty sure it worked when I tested it out in Spyro.

Will try, thanks for the heads up.

Edit: definitely works. I just assumed that if it didn't work for PS2 classics it wouldn't work for PS1 classics.

is there further information on the PS4 streaming available yet?
last time i checked i couldnt really find out how the PS4 remote control opperates, some sites say its via internet only (5 down 5 up recommended) with an optional LAN port for people with slow internet, while other sources say it only opperates within your routers WiFi and true internet streaming (eg from home to hotel) isnt possible

can someone clarify this for me?

You pair the PS4 and Vita just like normal for in-house remote play. Remote play over the Internet uses UDP port 9304, so if you have a router, make sure that port is forwarded to the PS4. Then just connect to WiFi outside of your home and start the PS4 Link app just like normal.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

There was also an additional Sony support guide. It stated that remote play could use other ports, so to be safe enable ports 9295-9310, I would just forward both TCP and UDP ports.

If you've never setup a port forward before, this site will walk your through it. http://portforward.com/

So would the PSTV get it's own port too or...oooooooh, I get it. Since it's basically a Vita, I would just turn it on and link it to remote play like a Vita after giving PS4 it's own port?

ukas

Ethernet over cable, the antenna or cable TV coax wire that you might have running through your house. Supposed to be much more reliable and faster than ethernet over power, but the adapters are pretty expensive in comparison.

I use Ethernet over power for my PS3/4 and it works great in a 41 year old home. I plan on hooking up the PSTV to the same network. Remote play ready works good so I'm guessing I won't have any problems.

ukas

is there further information on the PS4 streaming available yet?
last time i checked i couldnt really find out how the PS4 remote control opperates, some sites say its via internet only (5 down 5 up recommended) with an optional LAN port for people with slow internet, while other sources say it only opperates within your routers WiFi and true internet streaming (eg from home to hotel) isnt possible

can someone clarify this for me?

It will try a direct connect to it over your network. If that's not available it will try to connect over the internet.

It will try a direct connect to it over your network. If that's not available it will try to connect over the internet.

thanks a lot :)
id love to use Playstation TV through my routers wifi network instead of using a regular internet stream, although that would have quite some advantages too tbh

Lyte Edge

Went to a buddy's house and we messed with PS4 remote play. The results were not good. We used Sengoku Musou to test remote play, from his living room to his bedroom on the same floor, and the lag was pretty bad. I would describe it as "barely playable." But this was over his wireless connection, which certainly isn't the strongest, and I still think results are definitely in the "YMMV" situation.

While I suppose this is obvious, it's also mildly-annoying to have to pair the PS4 controller back up with the PS4 when you're done using it on the Vita TV.

thenexus6

I got a Vita last month solely to play P4G and PS4 remote play, but I found the vita terrible in the hand so I sold it. I might grab one of these to finish off P4G and play my PS4 downstairs.

How is the PS4 streaming on this? Anyone tried it yet?

Cookie18

Been super excited for this since it came out in Japan. I was going to import one then but because of the PSN account region locking I didn't. Does anybody know if this is the same thing for the U.S. and EU models?

I'm going to California in a couple of weeks and would really like to pick one up before it comes out in England.

X-Factor

The PSN Account region locking on the Vita TV was removed recently in the update in early October but the Japanese Vita TV still uses circle to confirm and X to cancel (Japanese menu input style for the OS, not the games).

Been super excited for this since it came out in Japan. I was going to import one then but because of the PSN account region locking I didn't. Does anybody know if this is the same thing for the U.S. and EU models?

I'm going to California in a couple of weeks and would really like to pick one up before it comes out in England.

Cookie18

The PSN Account region locking on the Vita TV was removed recently in the update in early October but the Japanese Vita TV still uses circle to confirm and X to cancel (Japanese menu input style for the OS, not the games).

This is exactly what I wanted to here. Go Sony!

I'm pumped for this coming out Tuesday. It's going to be my Vita, not much of a handheld gamer.

Already picked up my first title too for it.

D97sqzX.jpg

Did we get any word if Sword Art Online will work yet? I believe I remember hearing for the Vita TV it works, but would probably need a US patch.

I'm not exactly sure how the compatibility truly works.

What makes a game not work, like I'm assuming that every Vita game doesn't need a patch to work, are touch heavy games coded differently to not boot up or something?

Have now tested all my Vita games, with the exception of Ragnarok Odyssey (have it digitally but it's been deleted since I have Ace) and Resistance (also deleted...does anyone even care anyway?)

Sly Cooper also got a patch and now works. Like Killzone and the Koei musou games, you get new control schemes that take full advantage of the PS3/PS4 controller, so it's just like playing the PS3 version.

Despite that tweet posted earlier from James Mielke, Lumines currently does not work. Was also surprised to find that Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 did not work. That's the only Koei game I tried that did not. Persona 4 looks kind of ugly blown-up. I guess it's expected since it's a PS2 game. And I tried one PS1 game, Dino Crisis 2. Looked hideous, LOL.

Here is my updated list:

Supported:

-Killzone Mercenary
-Sly Cooper Thieves In Time
-Akiba's Trip
-One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2
-Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends CE
-Shin Gundam Musou (J)
-Sengoku Musou 4 (J)
-Deception IV
-Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (J)
-Dekamori Senran Kagura (J)
-Dragon's Crown
-Chou Jigen Action Neptunia U (J)
-Bullet Girls (J)
-Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
-J-Stars Victory VS (J)
-Blazblue Chrono Phantasma
-Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (J)
-Dead Or Alive 5 Plus
-Divekick
-Sonic Transformed
-Toukiden
-Muramasa Rebirth
-Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
-Magical Beat
-Spelunky
-TxK
-Jet Set Radio
-Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate (J)
-Retro City Rampage
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-Final Fantasy X-2 HD
-Rogue Legacy
-Pix The Cat
-Malicious Rebirth
-Persona 4 The Golden
-Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
-ClaDun (PSP)

Not supported:

-Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2
-Unit 13
-Borderlands 2
-Hotline Miami
-Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds
-Street Fighter X Tekken
-Rayman Legends
-Ridge Racer
-Hyper Dimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
-Hot Shots Golf World Invitational
-Virtua Tennis 4
-Hatsune Miku Project Diva f
-Guacamelee
-Shinobido 2
-Uncharted Golden Abyss
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
-Mortal Kombat
-Injustice
-Gravity Rush
-ACIII Liberation
-Wipeout 2048
-Olli Olli
-Lumines Electronic Symphony
-Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
-Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (PSP)

Why the hell would some PSP games not work? Makes no sense?

Zoe

I'm not exactly sure how the compatibility truly works.

What makes a game not work, like I'm assuming that every Vita game doesn't need a patch to work, are touch heavy games coded differently to not boot up or something?

There's a whitelist.

Top Bottom