• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

The only problem is that the lack of easily accessible touchscreen controls (leaving them turned on during gameplay is practically a death warrant if you accidentally click the stick in battle). So for things like switching the equipped Artifact or the party strategy means you have to dig through a couple menus.

But otherwise it's pretty good, yeah. I switched between my PSTV and Vita using cloud saves.

I've been pretty good about not clicking the stick and activating the touch controls on accident, but it happened to me yesterday for the first time during a hectic boss around the halfway point of the game.
that last robot fight in the tower panicked the heck out me
. And yeah, switching artifacts is kind of a drag so I could see how touch might be preferred for this aspect.

I think I'm just excited that the game finally got patched into working recently. I had sold off my Vita a while back since Ys was the only game that had me hanging onto it and the game was stuck in limbo with nothing to play it on till now.

Lime

Can the PS TV still be "hacked" to increase Vita game comparability ? Just got one and was wondering if i am out of luck or if i should wait before going online and update the firmware.

Yes as long you don't update the firmware. Go to the other thread.

JerkShep

So Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc is not compatible with PSTV in Europe? The two sequels were compatible so I expected it to be compatible as well. Is it known if they plan to fix this in the near future? All the games are currently on sale on EU PSN, I would have pull the trigger on the entire series but if I can't play the first one I'm not gonna bother. What a disappointment.

Lime

So Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc is not compatible with PSTV? The two sequels were compatible so I expected it to be compatible as well. Is it known if they plan to fix this in the near future? All the games are currently on sale on EU PSN, I would have pull the trigger on the entire series but if I can't play the first one I'm not gonna bother. What a disappointment.

Use the email hack to unlock all games unless you actually updated the damn thing

JerkShep

Use the email hack to unlock all games unless you actually updated the damn thing

Too late for that unfortunately. I planned on buying P4 Golden and the Danganronpa games on the PSN so the update was necessary. And apparently the US version of the game works on PS TV EU (??????), it's crazy that is not compatible.

sensui-tomo

So Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc is not compatible with PSTV in Europe? The two sequels were compatible so I expected it to be compatible as well. Is it known if they plan to fix this in the near future? All the games are currently on sale on EU PSN, I would have pull the trigger on the entire series but if I can't play the first one I'm not gonna bother. What a disappointment.

Not gonna happen, go blame the guys who localized it in europe. (iirc its their fault for that patch not coming out to allow it to work on vita tv... as the actual devs made it work everywhere else)

pizzacat

Banned
So I did the hack to let me play vita exclusive games and out of nowhere my memory card stopped getting read and then I updated and it stil wont get read wat do

eFKac

Guys I have two questions.

Want to buy one PSTV as a present, and I'm wondering:
1. Can you play "local" coop in Remote Play? As in my friend (in an other city) with a PSTV would have it paired with my PS4 and PSN account, if he would start let's say FIFA through remote play, would I be able to connect a Dualshock 4 to my PS4 and we would effectively play couch coop?
2. Are there any limitations what 3rd party controllers are compatible with the PSTV? Can you use Remote Play only with a Dualshock 4?

Any answers would be highly appriciated.

ascii42

Guys I have two questions.

Want to buy one PSTV as a present, and I'm wondering:
1. Can you play "local" coop in Remote Play? As in my friend (in an other city) with a PSTV would have it paired with my PS4 and PSN account, if he would start let's say FIFA through remote play, would I be able to connect a Dualshock 4 to my PS4 and we would effectively play couch coop?
2. Are there any limitations what 3rd party controllers are compatible with the PSTV? Can you use Remote Play only with a Dualshock 4?

Any answers would be highly appriciated.
1. Yeah, that should work. Much in the same way that you can effectively use a Vita as an extra controller with remote play. How well it'll work from a different city is another question.

2. Not sure. I've only ever used a DS3 or DS4.

eFKac

1. Yeah, that should work. Much in the same way that you can effectively use a Vita as an extra controller with remote play. How well it'll work from a different city is another question.

2. Not sure. I've only ever used a DS3 or DS4.

Good to hear, thanks! Yeah I know the limitations. I've tried SharePlay with people from other countries and it was passable, it should work similar to that right?

fvng

Well most of this has been clearance so I don't think that retailers are going to be buying any more. Shipped numbers therefore probably haven't budged an inch making the increased install base moot.

I see, so a few million Vitas and i'm assuming at least a million PSTVs shipped which at some point were sold at firesales, that's pretty significant. it means they're in homes in use.

Is there a list of the game that DO NOT work with the playstation TV? There's a lot of very long compatibility lists which are useful if you want to check for a specific games, but I'd rather just see what doesn't work and see if there's anything on the list I'd want to play. Vita games specifically, I don't care about PSP games.

Trying to figure if it's worth going through the trouble of preventing updates and doing the mail tricks and what not versus just using it normally. I only care about a handful of games really. Do they still make new Vita game that are not compatible or do they make everything new compatible now?

Trying to figure if it's worth going through the trouble of preventing updates and doing the mail tricks and what not versus just using it normally. I only care about a handful of games really. Do they still make new Vita game that are not compatible or do they make everything new compatible now?

No games still come out that are not compatible. If there is a short list of game you want to play just list them and we can tell you. I have not heard of a list that is still being updated.

bomblord1

Banned
I see, so a few million Vitas and i'm assuming at least a million PSTVs shipped which at some point were sold at firesales, that's pretty significant. it means they're in homes in use.

If they were already shipped it doesn't mean a thing to Sony who already has their money.

No games still come out that are not compatible. If there is a short list of game you want to play just list them and we can tell you. I have not heard of a list that is still being updated.

Na I know the games I want to play work(Danganronpa 2/Another and Muramasa Rebirth) I was just wondering if there's some games I might want to pick up at some point that didn't work but without a list of the games that don't work it makes it hard to figure out. Should probably still be fine though.

Edit: Nvm it seems wikipedia has a pretty solid list with yes/no for compatibility so I can find the games that don't work. Doesn't look like anything I'd want, so probably won't bother with the update blocking thing and just play it.

VLiberty

Guys, is there any weird procedure to make it work with VGA?

I tried with my hdmi-vga adapter on three different monitor and doesn't work, the adapter works great with PS3 though. At first I thought that you just couldn't do it with PSTV but now I stumbled upon multiple people saying they're using it with VGA adapters just fine.

eastx

Guys, is there any weird procedure to make it work with VGA?

I tried with my hdmi-vga adapter on three different monitor and doesn't work, the adapter works great with PS3 though. At first I thought that you just couldn't do it with PSTV but now I stumbled upon multiple people saying they're using it with VGA adapters just fine.

It's likely that you need an HDCP stripper.

Is there a list of the game that DO NOT work with the playstation TV? There's a lot of very long compatibility lists which are useful if you want to check for a specific games, but I'd rather just see what doesn't work and see if there's anything on the list I'd want to play. Vita games specifically, I don't care about PSP games.

Luckily, more recently one of the sites with compatibility lists added an incompatibility list (for North America): http://reviews2go.com/playstation-tv-non-compatible-game-list-north-america/

Honestly it's a lot shorter than I thought, though there are still a good number of "important" older games on it, including most HD collections.

Edit: It's also worth noting that the whitelist hack does not work with newer games like Neptunia Re;Birth1 or Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax because those use the metadata from the game itself to determine compatibility rather than the whitelist.

VLiberty

It's likely that you need an HDCP stripper.
Shouldn't I have the same problem with ps3 then?

By the way I made some progress and noticed that if i turn it off and then on again, both speakers and monitor will receive the signal. Though, while speakers work fine and output the system music correctly, the monitor will only display a black screen, though different from the black "no signal" screen. Tried with two different monitor and a TV with vga slot(which should support hdcp regardless, right?)

eastx

Shouldn't I have the same problem with ps3 then?

By the way I made some progress and noticed that if i turn it off and then on again, both speakers and monitor will receive the signal. Though, while speakers work fine and output the system music correctly, the monitor will only display a black screen, though different from the black "no signal" screen. Tried with two different monitor and a TV with vga slot(which should support hdcp regardless, right?)

I don't know about PS3, but PS TV definitely uses HDCP and VGA would not support that handshake.

fvng

If they were already shipped it doesn't mean a thing to Sony who already has their money.

Yes but my question has nothing to do with money. shipped number doesn't reflect actual install base since it doesn't tell Sony or publishers how many are actually sitting in someone's living room. Number sold even at clearance prices is important

MikeyB

I've been playing my Vita TV more than anything else due to my limited gaming time. So easy to suspend and pick back up.

Muramasa has been heavily played (nearly finished main game), but with Freedom Wars in PS Plus and the P4G sale, I think it will take a back bench for a while.

Does anyone have recommendations for PSP and PS1 Classics? I have Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Bust a Move 4, and Metal Slug X so far.

PSTV compatibility of games from PSX. All of them are unlisted on the PSTV store.

Bastion -> Yes
Bit Trip Collection -> No
Nuclear Throne -> Yes

Hzoltan69

Is there any solution currently if I want to stream PS4 games in 1080p? If not, is there any indication that PSTV will be able to do this in the near future?

Is there any solution currently if I want to stream PS4 games in 1080p? If not, is there any indication that PSTV will be able to do this in the near future?

PSTV doesn't even output to 1080p, so no. that will never happen. best we can hope for is the PC remote play option they are working on be 1080

Vashetti

Banned

PSTV only outputs 720p/1080i

The highest quality Remote Play stream it can receive from the PS4 is 720p/60fps

Hzoltan69

PSTV doesn't even output to 1080p, so no. that will never happen. best we can hope for is the PC remote play option they are working on be 1080

I know that the current PSTV doesn't support 1080p, but if Sony wants to keep this product relevant, then the next version absolutely has to. Question is, will there be a next version at all...

Vashetti

Banned
I know that the current PSTV doesn't support 1080p, but if Sony wants to keep this product relevant, then the next version absolutely has to. Question is, will there be a next version at all...

They don't want to keep it relevant and there won't be a next version.

eastx

No, there will not be. We'll be lucky if the Vita even gets a successor, let alone its red-headed stepchild.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I wouldn't say that. Or rather, I wouldn't say that we won't see remote play continued to be improved, like how it's coming to PC.

Got my PS TV for my birthday, gonna set it up tonight.

Few questions:

1. If I want the same save file from my actual Vita but I don't have plus, do I have to copy the files from my Vita to PS3 then transfer again to PS TV?

2. Are all PSP games that are compatible with Vita compatible with PS TV as well or are there gaps?

3. If I'm using my old Vita memory card but I want to start again from scratch, can the PS TV reformat it?

Got my PS TV for my birthday, gonna set it up tonight.

Few questions:

1. If I want the same save file from my actual Vita but I don't have plus, do I have to copy the files from my Vita to PS3 then transfer again to PS TV?

2. Are all PSP games that are compatible with Vita compatible with PS TV as well or are there gaps?

3. If I'm using my old Vita memory card but I want to start again from scratch, can the PS TV reformat it?

1. Just use the same memory card as your Vita then you don't have to sync it.

2. There are a few weird exceptions but for the most part.

3. There is a format in PSTV.

You can do that on pc, it's probably a lot faster and more practical than using a PS3.

1. Just use the same memory card as your Vita then you don't have to sync it.

It's possible to do things that way though, right? I want to keep two separate memory cards so my PSTV one isn't clogged up with incompatible games.

So when I do want to transfer a save, I just connect Vita to PS3/PC and then copy to PSTV?

Prelude.

It's possible to do things that way though, right? I want to keep two separate memory cards so my PSTV one isn't clogged up with incompatible games.

So when I do want to transfer a save, I just connect Vita to PS3/PC and then copy to PSTV?

I don't think you can transfer from Vita to PSTV (or vice versa) in one step. You need to copy the game using the content manager app from the Vita to PC (you need to install the app on pc too) or PS3 and then from the the content manager app on PSTV get the file from PC/PS3.
If it's a physical game it's just a bunch of mb so you can do that via wifi.

Shaneus

I don't think you can transfer from Vita to PSTV (or vice versa) in one step. You need to copy the game using the content manager app from the Vita to PC (you need to install the app on pc too) or PS3 and then from the the content manager app on PSTV get the file from PC/PS3.
Oh, can you backup Vita to PC and restore to PSTV? I didn't realise that could be done (I haven't looked into it much, though).

Yep, that's what I was expecting, thanks.

While you seem to know a lot about the subject: is it possible to just copy the save, or if it's a game (for example) that I got retail but then has a bunch of big patches (i.e. Resi Revelations 2), would the whole shebang need to be copied across?

Prelude.

Oh, can you backup Vita to PC and restore to PSTV? I didn't realise that could be done (I haven't looked into it much, though).
Yeah, you just need the app on pc. I think it pops up automatically if you connect the Vita via usb but it's probably available online too.

Yep, that's what I was expecting, thanks.

While you seem to know a lot about the subject: is it possible to just copy the save, or if it's a game (for example) that I got retail but then has a bunch of big patches (i.e. Resi Revelations 2), would the whole shebang need to be copied across?
I think you can but I never tried. Just compare a few "normal" games to the patched/dlc'd one, delete the extra big files and it should work,
Make a backup of the whole game folder before, though. You can find the game icon in the sce_sys subfolder.

Yeah, you just need the app on pc. I think it pops up automatically if you connect the Vita via usb but it's probably available online too.

Voila; http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/en/

I think you can but I never tried. Just compare a few "normal" games to the patched/dlc'd one, delete the extra big files and it should work,
Make a backup of the whole game folder before, though. You can find the game icon in the sce_sys subfolder.

You can rip the save out if you want, I've done it.

Kal_El

Ok Here's my question. I couldn't pass up the $20 Best Buy deal and bought one and put it in the living room.

I want to connect it to my ps4 but the problem is my boys have their own ps4's and it keeps connecting to theirs. Should I turn theirs all the way off or how can I make it connect to mine which is further away than theirs.

Ok Here's my question. I couldn't pass up the $20 Best Buy deal and bought one and put it in the living room.

I want to connect it to my ps4 but the problem is my boys have their own ps4's and it keeps connecting to theirs. Should I turn theirs all the way off or how can I make it connect to mine which is further away than theirs.

Set your PS4 up with a primary account and make sure you're on the same account as that PS4. Then you shouldn't have a problem IIRC.

Top Bottom