• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How are the trophies in vita games? Same number as Ps3 games and nice mix of bronze, silver, and gold?

Uncharted looks like uncharted on PS3 did - loads of bronzes for different kills with different weapons/situations etc.

uncharted: 40+ bronze, 5 silver, 2 gold, 1 hidden, 1 platinum

minna no golf: 18 bronze, 8 silver, 4 gold , 6 hidden, 1 platinum

don't know how that compares with the actual number on PS3?

I really repeat myself here but Gyro/motion/intu aim system in Uncharted is.a.must. If you don't use it, you will complain about the aiming definitely, because aiming with sticks is not precise and frustrating.
Use motion controls. It might be a bit hard for the first hour or two, but they will make the shooting *pulling a number from ass* 10 times better.
Ugh... I really don't like the sound of this.

HoTHiTTeR

Uncharted looks like uncharted on PS3 did - loads of bronzes for different kills with different weapons/situations etc.

uncharted: 40+ bronze, 5 silver, 2 gold, 1 hidden, 1 platinum

minna no golf: 18 bronze, 8 silver, 4 gold , 6 hidden, 1 platinum

don't know how that compares with the actual number on PS3?

Minna 5 had no trophies in the us/eu :(

x3sphere

I really repeat myself here but Gyro/motion/intu aim system in Uncharted is.a.must. If you don't use it, you will complain about the aiming definitely, because aiming with sticks is not precise and frustrating.
Use motion controls. It might be a bit hard for the first hour or two, but they will make the shooting *pulling a number from ass* 10 times better.

I agree with this... the motion controls make pulling off headshots a lot easier.

I am buying RR, any objections?

Also, I ask again, does the VITA version not have the Apocalypso mode on UMvC3? Holding L+Select+O does nothing

Bumhead

Banned
If retailer are to truly cut the price of Vita in JP, makes me wonder how long before the same happens here.

Personally, I feel it's a great product for the price but what is not so great are the prices of storage units.

Also, who is "Nuclear Muffin"?

I want a Vita. It ticks every box for what I want from a console and it's a great piece of kit.

But £220 isn't going to fly with joe public. It just isn't, and you cant say to everyone "but it's cheaper than it should be!". Unfortunately.

Inevitably, the Vita won't sell enough in the West at these prices, regardless of how "good" they seem. So, as someone who WOULD have been a day one purchaser before, I'm not going to be now. It makes sense to wait. I guess I'm part of the problem, but fuck that, it's not my responsibility to make sure Sony get their shit together for launch. It's in my interests as a consumer to ride this one out.

Kambing

Nice impressions. It's a shame to hear about the control issues. I've seen vids on youtube where folks are trying to use the sticks to aim and it looks almost impossible to do so. They are really left to aim the reticle in the center of the screen and turn and straff to hit their targets. With a game that features so much shooting. You'd think the devs would have nailed the controls.
Is gyro aiming any better? It looks as awkward as hell moving the screen around your face to aim.

Yeah it is a damn shame. I wonder if Bend were just oblivious to it, having gotten so used to the controls like ND claimed? Hopefully they can patch something in.

Re: Aiming with Gyro, it does actually make it easier surprisingly. Thanks to those that mentioned to try it out. Still not what i would prefer, but does make it more playable.
Re: Aim Assist, this shit works! LOL, i put it off as soon as i started playing but like Flex mentioned, putting it on was a god send. Still need to aim, but i much prefer this to gyro.

Wow you have an awesome wife. Sucks about the controls

Thanks, she is indeed very awesome! She plays games herself, though not to the extent i do and probably remembered me drooling over the PS Vita lol. Plus, both her and I like Uncharted so i bet she expects me to let her play it too. Though i bet she will be bummed out to find out that my PSN account is locked to the Vita. After all that is why i wanted to wait for a price cut so both of us could get one =(. May have to surprise the comings months =D

EDIT: Multi-quote is indeed awesome.

Argyle

Is there a way to turn off mobile (3g) data on the Vita?

I plan on picking up that model but not using the 3g, at least initially.

If having 3g disabled is going to be a battery drain, I might have to reconsider.

There hasn't been much discussion that I have seen about this, but from what I can tell, the main reason why the battery life is so awesome in standby mode vs. the 3DS is because the system seems to wake the network connection periodically and only when needed.

For example, the way near works is that it wakes up the PSP every hour or so, scans the nearby wifi networks (or uses the GPS to geolocate) and goes back to sleep. Near only needs a network connection when you upload the location data to their servers, which happens every 8 hours or so if you allow it to do it automatically. Compare to Streetpass which requires you to have the wifi on continuously when you are out and about.

Similarly PSN messages aren't pushed to the device, you can set a polling frequency for those (never, 15 mins, 30 mins, hourly), and the default is never (so you only get text messages when you manually refresh the messaging app). When it's not checking messages the wifi is completely turned off, so it's not continually draining the battery (I would imagine that the 3G model works similarly)

I would think that you would go through a limited 3g data cap pretty slowly the way it is set up. There are some annoyances though, like when I sleep the machine sometimes it will suspend my background downloads, which is annoying. But overall it seems to work pretty well and you definitely can't complain about the standby battery life...

Shai-Tan

Banned
Similarly PSN messages aren't pushed to the device, you can set a polling frequency for those (never, 15 mins, 30 mins, hourly), and the default is never (so you only get text messages when you manually refresh the messaging app). .

are those the only options? 15 minutes turns messaging into email

Argyle

are those the only options? 15 minutes turns messaging into email

Yes. If you leave the app open you can refresh it more often, though.

I think if you want more immediate communication, you can use the Party Chat instead...

2012-01-04-140213.jpg

Hey I had a question for anyone that has used japan-codes. Around what time do they usually end up sending out codes? I ordered this morning which was like midnight in Japan so I am hoping that I will get my JPSN code soon.

Argyle

Hey I had a question for anyone that has used japan-codes. Around what time do they usually end up sending out codes? I ordered this morning which was like midnight in Japan so I am hoping that I will get my JPSN code soon.
I got a code from them timestamped at 140 am Hawaii time, if that helps.

I got a code from them timestamped at 140 am Hawaii time, if that helps.

Awesome, thanks. One more question, did they actually call your phone to confirm the order like their site says or did you just get the code? I have been checking my phone all day to make sure they haven't called.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Shinobido 2 demo and DLC were also confirmed this week. Though I'm unsure of their release date.
I kind of don't understand why don't they just release the demos that were available during the campaign event. Most of them were 5-10 minutes long.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Yes. If you leave the app open you can refresh it more often, though.

I think if you want more immediate communication, you can use the Party Chat instead...

2012-01-04-140213.jpg

is the wifi off most of the time when not in game as well? if it is it sacrifices features like game invite for battery. no possibility for real time notifications for anything... wow

darkwing

I was wondering if you could swap memory cards easily with the same account, let's say I have two cards with different games

Shancake

This might sound like a stupid question but is the GPS meant to work even without a simcard installed? I just got my Hong Kong 3G vita as well(Backup and restore worked fine from Japanese Vita) but Near is still obviously pulling from Wifi as it cannot get my location still =/

Takao

Banned
This might sound like a stupid question but is the GPS meant to work even without a simcard installed? I just got my Hong Kong 3G vita as well(Backup and restore worked fine from Japanese Vita) but Near is still obviously pulling from Wifi as it cannot get my location still =/

You're going to need to sign up for Skyhook Wireless's stuff IIRC. It's free AFAIK.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
IIRC, according to Vita FAQ it should work without a sim card.

Jonnyram

Near will always try to pull location info from wi-fi if you are connected to wi-fi.

Shancake

Near will always try to pull location info from wi-fi if you are connected to wi-fi.

WTF. so even though I purchased a 3G version just for this reason then it'll still try pull from Wifi and not even try to pull from 3G when it fails? That is the most stupid thing i've ever heard... I did add my wifi network to Sky Hooks 3-4 days ago. Has anyone else had any success with it yet?

My HK vita works fine on 3G in Australia btw. Even with a prepaid sim!

Also, I got a copy of Marvel Vs Capcom thats still sealed. Would people recommend that I eBay it or hold off until it comes out everywhere else in Feb? I have absolutely no interest in playing it.

Jonnyram

WTF. so even though I purchased a 3G version just for this reason then it'll still try pull from Wifi and not even try to pull from 3G when it fails? That is the most stupid thing i've ever heard... I did add my wifi network to Sky Hooks 3-4 days ago. Has anyone else had any success with it yet?

My HK vita works fine on 3G in Australia btw. Even with a prepaid sim!
This is for Near. The only other game I've got that uses location info is Monster Radar, and that lets you set GPS to override wi-fi skyhook.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
cyberheater said:
I've seen vids on youtube where folks are trying to use the sticks to aim and it looks almost impossible to do so.
Just to add an opposing opinion here:
The Gyro controls(using them in combination with sticks, not by themselves) are actually the first time in this series where I felt I could control my headshots with any real precision, so whether aiming-controls are good in absolute terms or not - I found them better then any of the console versions.

I had a rough time aiming in Uncharted for the first few chapters, but at some point early on, it all just clicked and I had absolutely no problem getting head shots, even on a train.

Argyle

Awesome, thanks. One more question, did they actually call your phone to confirm the order like their site says or did you just get the code? I have been checking my phone all day to make sure they haven't called.
I never got a phone call from them, they just emailed me the code.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It makes sense for Near IMO - wifi is on anyway for data transfer, and GPS can be a battery hog. Keep its use to when you need to (e.g. no network connection)

Jealous your HK 3G version is unlocked. I hope docomo do that soon in Japan.

Just to add an opposing opinion here:
The Gyro controls(using them in combination with sticks, not by themselves) are actually the first time in this series where I felt I could control my headshots with any real precision, so whether aiming-controls are good in absolute terms or not - I found them better then any of the console versions.

same here. First time I got a '10 headshots' notification I thought 'hey, maybe this time I can actually go for a headshot trophy' - never been able to in console uncharteds.

Shancake

It makes sense for Near IMO - wifi is on anyway for data transfer, and GPS can be a battery hog. Keep its use to when you need to (e.g. no network connection)

Jealous your HK 3G version is unlocked. I hope docomo do that soon in Japan.

same here. First time I got a '10 headshots' notification I thought 'hey, maybe this time I can actually go for a headshot trophy' - never been able to in console uncharteds.

I had a Japanese but sold it when I got it as the HK bundle on play-asia was a lot cheaper than I sold it for anyways =/

I thought it'd be good to have! It works really well. Sometimes the 3G changes to H. No idea what that means?

Hopefully the NEAR thing wont be an issue. I just want it to be able to work in my House without having to deactivate wifi to use the 3G.

Number45

is the wifi off most of the time when not in game as well? if it is it sacrifices features like game invite for battery. no possibility for real time notifications for anything... wow

I've seen a video of someone sending a game invite in UMvC3 and the guy at the other end accepted it almost immediately.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that might have been for party chat.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Siliconera posted an article bbout Gundam Seed Battle Destiny multiplayer modes:
Namco Bandai’s first Gundam game for PlayStation Vita will focus on the Gundam Seed series. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Battle Destiny is slated for release this spring.

It has ad-hoc multiplayer and as a first for the portable Gundam Battle series, online play too. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Battle Destiny has two modes – two player cooperative play and a four player battle mode.
Online mp <3

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So I think 2 people on my Friend's List have Vita's through my PS3

Magically they both fell all the way to the bottom of the list, my last friend on my list is 59 Days Ago from signed-in (kid + work, he lost a lot of his gaming time =/)

Then these 2 show up, don't know if I they want me to mentioning their names, so I'll leave it be

They haven't signed in at all on my PS3, I mean they just have the Red X icon, I know these 2 sign-in here and there, but on my PS3 they aren't showing up at all

They have no sign-in/sign-out time, if you highlight their gamer card, their avatar on their card shows up, but if you just have the bar it keeps searching for the picture (2 arrows keep spinning indefinitely)

Looks like that 4.0 update to get set-up for Vita is going bonkers?

bigswords

Ugh... I really don't like the sound of this.

I totally disabled motion sensing aiming I really hated it. I find the sticks better than PS3 controller. I was seriously getting headshots quick and faster on the Vita than on a PS3 DS3 controller.

Sony you finally made a controller than I dont hate. Thank you. Fucking finally

PS VITA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3

To me.

I totally disabled motion sensing aiming I really hated it. I find the sticks better than PS3 controller. I was seriously getting headshots quick and faster on the Vita than on a PS3 DS3 controller.

Sony you finally made a controller than I dont hate. Thank you. Fucking finally

PS VITA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3

To me.
That'd be awesome. I really hate the PS3 controller. Analogues feel so mushy and it's tiny. So is there more resistance to the controllers?

Psykotik

aiming in uncharted is fine. no complaints from me. it's even better with the motion aiming.

anyway, is there a way to change the lock screen wallpaper?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Eh? For a JPSN code? Man don't even bother with shady sites like that..if anyone needs JPSN or JiTunes codes I'd be happy to run to the conbini next to my place and get them for you. Just throw me some money on Paypal.

joshwaan

hey guys

got my vita but having trouble getting it to power on. i hooked it up to the net stared downloading and update frooze at 97% so held power button down switched off. not it will not turn back on any ideas?

Ashler

Hi,

Powering down during an update is never a good idea. However you might want to have a go at the PS Vita recovery menu, if you can reach it:

Recovery Menu:

Turn OFF your PS Vita (Press Power Button for 10 seconds)
Now press and hold &#8220;R&#8221; + Power + PS (PlayStation Button)
Wait&#8230;
Now you&#8217;re in Recovery Menu (Mode)

Worth a shot, should look like:

Vpsmenu-538x313.jpg

hey guys

got my vita but having trouble getting it to power on. i hooked it up to the net stared downloading and update frooze at 97% so held power button down switched off. not it will not turn back on any ideas?

hey guys

Hold the power button down for 30 or more seconds, wait a minute or two, then try powering it on. Might sound stupid, but make sure you have battery life, too.

joshwaan

thank you my friends it fucking worked so happy =)

oh and guys buy a vita fully sick machine lo=)ok it screen,as good as my samsung galaxy s2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom