• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shancake

You mean the start screen?

YxcoG.jpg

What's the link for that :O

Paz

After debating what to do since the vita came out, I bit the bullet and ordered a Japanese unit, a 16 GB memory card, and a friendly gaffer is helping me acquire JPSN moneyz.

I feel incredibly ripped off (close to $200 over what it would cost to get the same stuff locally in a month and a half) but damn I am excited :D

darkwing

if I have 2 memory cards, is it just hot swappable if they are linked to the same account? like I have different games in different cards and just swap them

if I have 2 memory cards, is it just hot swappable if they are linked to the same account? like I have different games in different cards and just swap them

Yes, I believe so - I think you just have to turn the system off inbetween (if you pop the memory card out while the system is on, it will prompt you to restart).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

As long as they are formatted for that system, no problem. That's what I would do.

cvxfreak

Was on the fence about selling my Vita, but decided to just keep it. With that said, time to establish a new wallpaper for it. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Was on the fence about selling my Vita, but decided to just keep it. With that said, time to establish a new wallpaper for it. :D
Really? What was pushing you to sell it?

I suppose I never really understood that line of thinking. I was a day 1 3DS owner and never once considered selling it despite the awful first few months. Why give up so quickly on a platform?

Shancake

Has anyone figured out/has it been said what all these flashing lights on the vita mean.. Mine constantly flashes blue when I put it to sleep and will random flash purple/orange when i'm watching it =/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what is the correct size for wallpapers, and where do you put them on the memory card? I'm guessing they have to be a little shorter to allow for the status bar?

vercity82

Anyone have regrets importing one? I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on a wifi model,4gb card and game for 515.

Never regret anything I love the system the sharpness of the screen and weight is great having all the free PSN access and party chat great pick up cannot wait for the UK store to go live currently own 7 games but just want more :p

Pretty unhappy right now, I ordered a 5000 yen code from Japan-Codes because a few GAFfers have recommended them in a few of the Vita threads. It has been over 24 hours and still have nothing in my inbox from them. Now I am out $80 for the moment with nothing to show for it. I have emailed them about it, hopefully I get a response back quickly and haven't just screwed myself out of $80.

dark10x

Anyone have regrets importing one? I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on a wifi model,4gb card and game for 515.
I would consider waiting. The US launch (early unit) is just a little over 1 month away. You'd be spending a lot of extra cash just to get your hands on it a wee bit early.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

There's nothing to regret. If you import, you're spending more money to get it early. Depends on if that's worth it to you or not.

Lyte Edge

Pretty unhappy right now, I ordered a 5000 yen code from Japan-Codes because a few GAFfers have recommended them in a few of the Vita threads. It has been over 24 hours and still have nothing in my inbox from them. Now I am out $80 for the moment with nothing to show for it. I have emailed them about it, hopefully I get a response back quickly and haven't just screwed myself out of $80.

I used that site last week to get a 5000 yen code. Got it in around 30 minutes after placing my order.

I wouldn't worry about it; the site is pretty reputable. It also could be an issue with Paypal.

Lyte Edge

what is the correct size for wallpapers, and where do you put them on the memory card? I'm guessing they have to be a little shorter to allow for the status bar?

You can either save pictures by downloading them through the Vita web browser or transfer them from your PC/PS3. I hate that I have to be running software in Windows just to copy some pictures over.

The Vita photo editor allows you to crop images for wallpaper use. IIRC the resolution is 960 × 540. I just copied over some 1366x768 and 1920x1080 images I had; they look great as backgrounds. Haven't bothered with the home screen since that's on for all of two seconds when I turn the system on.

I used that site last week to get a 5000 yen code. Got it in around 30 minutes after placing my order.

I wouldn't worry about it; the site is pretty reputable. It also could be an issue with Paypal.

That makes me feel a bit better, I didn't log-in to a PayPal account I just payed straight through with my credit card so hopefully it isn't a PayPal issue (especially since there is already a hold for the money on my statement)

Edit: and of course thanks to the universe's sense of irony, I get the codes immediately after I post that.

I really repeat myself here but Gyro/motion/intu aim system in Uncharted is.a.must. If you don't use it, you will complain about the aiming definitely, because aiming with sticks is not precise and frustrating.
Use motion controls. It might be a bit hard for the first hour or two, but they will make the shooting *pulling a number from ass* 10 times better.
Ugh... I really don't like the sound of this.

Sounds great to me... but I'm one of those over-active gamers who twists and turns my handhelds as if it will help me get around a corner or dodge better or whatever... it's natural to me, and playing Ridge Racer or Pilot Wings on my 3DS in 3D can be a challenge because of it...

tzare

i've been reading impressions on uncharted on other forums and people seem really impressed. Maybe it is gaf that takes things too seriously , but my hype has risen again for that game.

Lyte Edge

i've been reading impressions on uncharted on other forums and people seem really impressed. Maybe it is gaf that takes things too seriously , but my hype has risen again for that game.

The aiming system sucks. Despite everything reported in Uncharted 3 pre-patch, I can't say that I really had a problem with it.

Uncharted Golden Abyss' aiming system is AWFUL. It needs to be patched, stat. I don't want to use gyro controls; I want to use the analog sticks and in its current state, it's clunky as hell. I have no idea how the hell Sony Bend messed this up.

I've stopped playing the game and am waiting to see if the reported "surprise" that's supposed to be coming for the game on 1/10 will address this.

The aiming system sucks. Despite everything reported in Uncharted 3 pre-patch, I can't say that I really had a problem with it.

Uncharted Golden Abyss' aiming system is AWFUL. It needs to be patched, stat. I don't want to use gyro controls; I want to use the analog sticks and in its current state, it's clunky as hell. I have no idea how the hell Sony Bend messed this up.

I've stopped playing the game and am waiting to see if the reported "surprise" that's supposed to be coming for the game on 1/10 will address this.

I haven't read anything regarding an Uncharted:GA surprise. Can you say who reported that?

dark10x

It's really that bad? In what way? Huge dead zone? Lack of precision? Is it the game or the sticks at fault?

tzare

i meant the visuals and game overall experience.Obviously aiming is part of it, but some say that it has auto aid and motion help so sure, it can be better but i doubt it kills the game. And what i've recently read is that the game is 'like a ps3 game' in your hands. despite aliasing, resolution, etc. The experience is more or less like U DA was for ps3. Plus it seems to be a long game too. Enough for me and a indication of what the system can offer in the future (if it has, because some people have already buried it deep xD )

Argyle

It took me like 5-6 hours to get used to the aiming...one thing that helped for me was turning up the gyro sensitivity.

wotta

I think the aiming is great personally, really precise. I congratulate Sony Bend for a job well done, amazing game for being on a portable.

tzare

I think the aiming is great personally, really precise. I congratulate Sony Bend for a job well done, amazing game for being on a portable.

good. so seems like a matter of taste afterall. I hope mine is on the positive side when i buy the game :)

Lyte Edge

It's really that bad? In what way? Huge dead zone? Lack of precision? Is it the game or the sticks at fault?

Lack of precision. I've adjusted the sensitivity up and down, and it never feels "right." It's much slower and clunkier than it should be. I don't have any games with shooting to compare it to, but haven't had a problem using the analog sticks for movement/camera in Dynasty Warriors, the Gravity Rush demo, etc. It has to be the game. Even something like Peace Walker, with its face button aiming system on PSP, feels 100 times better.

i meant the visuals and game overall experience.Obviously aiming is part of it, but some say that it has auto aid and motion help so sure, it can be better but i doubt it kills the game.

I don't care about graphics and story when the controls are garbage. It's a shame, too, because the touch screen features used for platforming are great.

And what i've recently read is that the game is 'like a ps3 game' in your hands.

That applies to a lot of Vita titles, lol.

despite aliasing, resolution, etc. The experience is more or less like U DA was for ps3. Plus it seems to be a long game too. Enough for me and a indication of what the system can offer in the future (if it has, because some people have already buried it deep xD )

You shouldn't be saying this about a game you have yet to play. I can't judge how the game compares to the console UC games yet, because I've only played the first couple of chapters. It's the firefights that have put me off...everything else seems fine.

It took me like 5-6 hours to get used to the aiming...one thing that helped for me was turning up the gyro sensitivity.

It shouldn't take hours to get used to aiming. And I don't want to use the gyro feature. I want to use the analog sticks.

Is this reply meant to be sarcastic? :p

dark10x

It's much slower and clunkier than it should be.
Is the speed the main issue then? I tend to prefer lower speed on my sticks (usually the bottom 1/4 or 1/8 of an adjustment slider.

tzare

I don't care about graphics and story when the controls are garbage. It's a shame, too, because the touch screen features used for platforming are great.

You shouldn't be saying this about a game you have yet to play. I can't judge how the game compares to the console UC games yet, because I've only played the first couple of chapters. It's the firefights that have put me off...everything else seems fine.

well the rest seems to be okay, so at least a part of the game is decent.
As for the visuals , it is what i've read in other gaming forums, they seem to agree that it ain't ps3, sure, but it 'plays' in the same league as early ps3 games and for being a launch title it is quite an achievement and succeeds in delivering what some of us expect from the hw.
Of course there are compromises: lighting , particles, and such, but it is also played on a 5'' screen and not a 46'' so i'm okay with it :p

Lyte Edge

Is the speed the main issue then? I tend to prefer lower speed on my sticks (usually the bottom 1/4 or 1/8 of an adjustment slider.

I do that on certain games myself. I think the biggest problem with this game is, depending on the speed, that it either feels too clunky or is just too fast and imprecise. I can't say I've ever had aiming problems in any other game before, either, and I can't find any flaws with the other Vita games' controls that I have played (UMvC3, BlazBlue, Sangoku Musou Next, Power Smash 4, and Gravity Rush).

I haven't touched the game since that announcement but I'll mess with the settings some more when I get home today.

well the rest seems to be okay, so at least a part of the game is decent.

If by "the rest" you mean swiping your finger all over the screen to "dust off" artifacts (gets old fast), watching cut scenes, and walking/jumping around, sure. :p This is like saying "Gears Of War has shitty controls, but everything else is great!"

All they have to do is patch the game. This is something that should be able to be fixed pretty easily.

As for the visuals , it is what i've read in other gaming forums, they seem to agree that it ain't ps3, sure, but it 'plays' in the same league as early ps3 games and for being a launch title it is quite an achievement and succeeds in delivering what some of us expect from the hw.
Of course there are compromises: lighting , particles, and such, but it is also played on a 5'' screen and not a 46'' so i'm okay with it :p

It looks fantastic for a new portable launch title. And I don't care in this case. I don't just play games for their graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom