• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.
r6DV7.jpg

:D - so impatient. :D

SHIT I forgot about Frobisher Says, that looks like the best Art Design ever!!!!!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I've played some more Little Deviants today and must say, some of the games are fun. Hate most of the ones where you steer by tilting or sliding finger on the back panel - I suck at those. Too bad I don't believe I'll get a gold medal in any game, it seems just plain impossible.
Still it's a pretty decent minigame pack for a reasonable price.

I got about 15 or so open so I haven't really played it actively. Biggest reason is the repetition in the minigames. It should have a lot of unique games instead of rolling the same games with zombies/basic enemies/etc. It was cheap though in PSN so I have no regrets.

dofry

A couple of days ago I realized that the relative comfort that Vita has is due to the fact of how thick it is. It's light but thick, so your hands rest pretty easily on it. Sometimes I feel my left hand gets tired of holding the device, but only after a few hours, not like with PSP or with DSlite before. Better for factor I guess.

I hate that guy in the ads. Please Sony, change him to an attractive japanese girl.

Takao

Banned
A couple of days ago I realized that the relative comfort that Vita has is due to the fact of how thick it is. It's light but thick, so your hands rest pretty easily on it. Sometimes I feel my left hand gets tired of holding the device, but only after a few hours, not like with PSP or with DSlite before. Better for factor I guess.

I hate that guy in the ads. Please Sony, change him to an attractive japanese girl.

She's not Japanese, and her level of attractiveness is a matter of opinion.

I still have no clue why the TV adverts are using white people being dubbed.

dofry

I did not know these hideous ads existed! DoDoDo my ass.

I need a cute (attractive) girl that caresses the Vita, smiles to the camera and says "buy. chu". That's all it takes.

grendelrt

Play asia is listing Lost Planet 2 Vita
http://www.play-asia.com/Lost_Planet_2/paOS-13-71-1ab-49-jp-70-4a0e.html

SamBishop said back in September that LP, RE and more Capcom properties were in development for Vita. I guess soon we'll see if there was any truth in what he said.

EDIT

They also list "Yakuza" Vita so I don't know if these listings are old and were put on the database after the PS Meeting 2011 demos

I would love LP2 portable, its great co op game.

Downhome

Alright, forgive me for asking this, but I haven't been following any of the doom and gloom talk at all.

Just why is it selling so poorly in Japan with the original PSP beating it in sales? Is it just the price? Like I said, I haven't been following it at all, but it still shocks me when I hear that in passing.

Alright, forgive me for asking this, but I haven't been following any of the doom and gloom talk at all.

Just why is it selling so poorly in Japan with the original PSP beating it in sales? Is it just the price? Like I said, I haven't been following it at all, but it still shocks me when I hear that in passing.

software

Basically, it doesn't have Monster Hunter... yet.

Takao

Banned

It's a combination of software, price, and fierce competition. 3DS is hitting home runs right now and in Japan 3DS costs less than a PSP. It's hard for a platform that launched 3 weeks ago to compete with Monster Hunter, Mario, and Mario Kart.

KAL2006

Banned

3DS has Monster Hunter, Mario Kart, Mario 3DLand
PSP has FF Type 0, Monster Hunter

Vita needs big names like Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy, the biggest game right now for Vita is Hot Shots Golf and that IP has been in a sales decline with every iteration. People in Japan will not be interested in VIta and continue to play their 3DS/PSP unless there is appealing software on the Vita that is a must have.

Downhome

I have been following it so little I wasn't even aware which games were or were not out for it yet, but I should have assumed software. It's always software, software, software.

Just out of curiosity, how did the 3DS do in Japan before the major games hit for that? Better, worse, around the same as Vita?

KAL2006

Banned
I have been following it so little I wasn't even aware which games were or were not out for it yet, but I should have assumed software. It's always software, software, software.

Just out of curiosity, how did the 3DS do in Japan before the major games hit for that? Better, worse, around the same as Vita?

The thing is the software is actually great, in my opinion it's the best launch line up I have seen for a console, so many games that look great, however it just doesn't have that killer app like Monster Hunter to give it that sales boost.

Takao

Banned

3DS launched with much larger IPs than Vita did. It launched with Nintendogs that sold a few million on DS in Japan, and Layton, which also once was a million seller. Nor did 3DS have to compete with another new platform. Unsurprisingly, launched aligned it has done much better than Vita.

test_account

XP-39C²

The 3DS had a better start than the Vita, but the 3DS hardware sales declined relatively fast. Even the 3DS was outsold by the PSP, for 15 weeks in total in fact (the two last week makes sense though because the 3DS pricedrop was announced).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
IGN said:
with limited proprietary media.
Can someone explain to me why this isn't a negative for every mobile device with built-in memory and no expansion slots?
I mean it's 100% proprietary and completely limited to manufacturer of device, yet somehow it's OK to pay premiums for that(built-in memory generally commands higher prices than Vita's memory cards per GB), but proprietary memory cards are not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can someone explain to me why this isn't a negative for every mobile device with built-in memory and no expansion slots?
I mean it's 100% proprietary and completely limited to manufacturer of device, yet somehow it's OK to pay premiums for that(built-in memory generally commands higher prices than Vita's memory cards per GB), but proprietary memory cards are not.

bit of a storm in a teacup, but I guess the main negative is the inability to play a lot of the games without further investment. If they'd have included 1-2GB internal memory for saves, or a 4GB card as standard, I don't think you'd be hearing as much shit aimed at Sony. Even with a small amount of memory included, you can go full retail on games, so then larger memory cards are optional for DD. Now you have no choice but to buy something fairly expensive.

(although not really any different to PS1 or PS2 at launch with its memory cards. 128K (guess) and 8MB for probably the same price as the 4GB card and we're complaining this vocally? First world problems. edit: PS2 memory card was $34 for 8MB. 4GB for vita is only $20 at amazon.

patsu

If they'd have included 1-2GB internal memory for saves, or a 4GB card as standard, I don't think you'd be hearing as much shit aimed at Sony.

Just bundle a small one with every Vita for "free" and the complains will go away. People see Vita as incomplete because you need the card to save progress for some titles.

i played 20 minutes of my friend's copy of dynasty warriors next, and as far as i can tell it is basically a touchscreen tiger-murdering simulator. i liked the PSP versions!

spwolf

And really, the cost to consumers to adopt the Vita could be a huge challenge when it finally arrives in English speaking countries in February. With the Wi-Fi unit itself costing $249, plus another minimum purchase of $19.99 for the memory card and $49.99 for most games, users are looking at an investment of over $320 after taxes. In a market where you can purchase a PlayStation 3 or an iPhone 4S for less

reviewer likes Vita a lot... But I cant help to notice how games are now "most" $50, which is not true, only one game is $50. Most games are $39.95. Quite few good ones are $29.95 (Wipeout, HotShots, Modnation). Quite possibly there will be nice PSN discounts.

Also, I like how iPhone 4S is cheaper than Vita. Its not. It is $600. You are paying expensive monthly plan to get it "cheaper".

If you live in USA, it is $250 to get 4s with taxes and then $1320 over the next 2 years for phone, with mandatory data plan of 200 MB for $15/month, minimum.

So you are paying $1570 for iphone 4s. $250 for Vita.

I am not saying Vita is great, or cheap, or even recommended (not sure if i would buy it myself, ever), but do get the facts right.

Myself I am buying new phone, but I am going to get much lesser plan that will satisfy all of my phone needs and I will actually pay $350 for Iphone 4s or $500 for Galaxy Note or $100 for Neo V. And actually save like $1000 over buying IPHONE4s FOR FREE!!!! (here in eeurope).

tzare

reviewer likes Vita a lot... But I cant help to notice how games are now "most" $50, which is not true, only one game is $50. Most games are $39.95. Quite few good ones are $29.95 (Wipeout, HotShots, Modnation). Quite possibly there will be nice PSN discounts.

Also, I like how iPhone 4S is cheaper than Vita. Its not. It is $600. You are paying expensive monthly plan to get it "cheaper".

If you live in USA, it is $250 to get 4s with taxes and then $1320 over the next 2 years for phone, with mandatory data plan of 200 MB for $15/month, minimum.

So you are paying $1570 for iphone 4s. $250 for Vita.

I am not saying Vita is great, or cheap, or even recommended (not sure if i would buy it myself, ever), but do get the facts right.

Myself I am buying new phone, but I am going to get much lesser plan that will satisfy all of my phone needs and I will actually pay $350 for Iphone 4s or $500 for Galaxy Note or $100 for Neo V. And actually save like $1000 over buying IPHONE4s FOR FREE!!!! (here in eeurope).
it is just stupid. Comparing a home console and a phone. Plus iphone does not cost 250. It is just ignorance or subtle trolling

Well you can replace iPhone in that argument with iPod touch and the prices match up a bit more.

But I don't get why it's one or the other. I love iOS gaming, my 3ds and I'm crazy hyped to get a vita.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
May have already been answered, but regarding the Vita's backwards compatibility with PSP games... is it all PSP games on the PS Store?

Also: I primarily use my UK account on the PS3, but sometimes buy stuff from the US Store. Would downloaded PSP games from either account work on my Vita, or just from the account that's on the Vita?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
May have already been answered, but regarding the Vita's backwards compatibility with PSP games... is it all PSP games on the PS Store?
No, it's all the PSP games on the Vita PSP store (some are missing, like Phantasy Star Onlines).
Also: I primarily use my UK account on the PS3, but sometimes buy stuff from the US Store. Would downloaded PSP games from either account work on my Vita, or just from the account that's on the Vita?
The latter.

I'm slowly chewing through Disgaea. Knowing me, I'll never finish it and leave it half way with characters on levels 50-100. Well, at least I'm having fun now, although I get the feeling that it's slower paced than Disgaea 1.

industrian

No, it's all the PSP games on the Vita PSP store (some are missing, like Phantasy Star Onlines).

The latter.

I'm slowly chewing through Disgaea. Knowing me, I'll never finish it and leave it half way with characters on levels 50-100. Well, at least I'm having fun now, although I get the feeling that it's slower paced than Disgaea 1.

Thanks. :)

What about Minis? Are they BC with the Vita?

industrian

I downloaded a bunch of PSP demos using both my UK and US accounts to test them out with my Vita... and I can't seem to transfer them from my PS3 to my Vita. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation of the Vita?

I'm pondering whether or not to switch my Vita PSN account to my US one and just want to see what PSP games are available, pricing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom