• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argyle

Hey guys

Anyone imported from Japan to Australia?

Reason I ask this, is having some troubles getting the unit past customs
Trying dhl company what sort of battery info do you need to let them know so if can be shipped properly?

Thanks

Josh
I'll try, since no one has helped you yet.

I imported mine into the US and I used Fedex instead of DHL. You cannot use EMS (Japan Post) because they prohibit the shipment of lithium ion batteries via airmail.

Fedex requires you to fill out an additional form and to put a red warning label on the box. You can get those here: http://www.fedex.com/jp_english/about/local/servicenews/lithium_batteries.html You want number 4 as that applies to batteries contained in equipment (the Vita's battery is built in). Good luck, it's going to be expensive!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Just got prompted for a new system update -- will do it after I save my game in LoA. Anyone heard what this entails?
Oooh, I'm strangely excited for system updates from now until the western release. The more the merrier, I say.

Bear with us, Japanese beta testers. Domo arigato. m(_ _)m

(Change-logs would be appreciated)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Seeing how some were having touch screen lock-ups and freezing, stability updates are more crucial than ever.

Just got prompted for a new system update -- will do it after I save my game in LoA. Anyone heard what this entails?

I'm surprised you got a notice for a system update while playing LoA. Isn't that one of the games that turns off all network functions?

Speaking of turning off network functions, how does a game get a patch if they turn off network functions when you run it? Is it during the LiveArea of that particular game or no patches for them?

areal

Right but the reflection, is it a perfection reflection like the iphone 4 or is the reflection more of a wavy reflection like the psp? Generally cheap plastic has that kind of reflection
I compared the Vita screen with the PSP screen (plastic) and the N9 screen (gorilla glass, apparently) and it's more like the N9. It seems to be made of a higher grade of plastic than the PSP is. I wouldn't worry about the screen, it's amazing.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
shidoshi said:
Wait, so I could activate my Japanese PSN account on my Vita, purchase some JPN PSP titles, switch the Vita over to my US account, and those PSP games will still run?
Yes, that's what I did. I have downloads from both Jpn and HK store on the same card, and they still ran after switching to US account.
I cannot say if it works for everything because I have no way of adding funds so I was only able to test this with Vita Demos so far (PSP Demos are not recognized by Vita at all).

Regardless, memory cards are most certainly not attached to accounts (they appear to be attached to hardware once you format it).

vercity82 said:
I thought this wasn't the case as want to grab some games and apps but doing ps3 transfer it said that I couldn't because it wasn't the account I purchased what's your PSN mate I will add you.
You can't transfer between different accounts. See above - stuff that was already there still worked under different accounts.

DCharlie said:
5. NO US GAMES SHOW UP IN THE CONTENT MANAGER FOR COPY OVER
6. ... BUT JPN GAMES DO
Content manager will not allow you to copy across-accounts regardless (it's quite locked down). Simply put, you need to be logged in and activated with the right account to install content first, so there's no exploits with that really, just a way to potentially share activations like on PS3.
Anyway - I can't test with any PSP games(and demos don't show up on Vita :( ), but you can do that easily (just don't format the card or deactivate the system when the restore prompts you).

Shoulda made a video, haha.

Anway, the new update is 01.510 (up from 01.500). I'm sure it is just stability, we'll see if I notice anything.

I didn't get the notification inside LoA itself, but I did get a friends notification during LoA. When I hit that, it took me to the friends app where I was prompted for the update.

It is weird, because although LoA is one of the games that disables 3G and WiFi completely, I will still get friend add notifications during LoA, and if I'm out and about with WiFi on I will still get prompts to join new WiFi networks. You wouldn't think these things would happen if it was just outright disabled completely -- so I wonder if there is a bit more at work here. Maybe it 'checks' into the network every so often? I have no idea.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It is weird, because although LoA is one of the games that disables 3G and WiFi completely, I will still get friend add notifications during LoA, and if I'm out and about with WiFi on I will still get prompts to join new WiFi networks. You wouldn't think these things would happen if it was just outright disabled completely -- so I wonder if there is a bit more at work here. Maybe it 'checks' into the network every so often? I have no idea.
This kind of weirdness makes me happy. Although it makes me question the need for the "network activity disabled" notice. Is it only meant to restrict Party?

x3sphere

Yes, that's what I did. I have downloads from both Jpn and HK store on the same card, and they still ran after switching to US account.
I cannot say if it works for everything because I have no way of adding funds so I was only able to test this with Vita Demos so far (PSP Demos are not recognized by Vita at all).

Regardless, memory cards are most certainly not attached to accounts (they appear to be attached to hardware once you format it).

Well, doesn't work with paid content. I had lots of JP content when I reset my system to use the HK store, Vita refused to use the memory card unless I formatted it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fafalada, can you detail exactly what you did? I downloaded vita demos (and a mingol online ticket) while connected with a jpn psn account. Switched to a us account (reset vita but left memory card alone) and the demos do not work, and mingol doesn't recognise the online pass.

ACH1LL3US

vitadsc2281mat800.jpg

Looks good to me. Honestly looks like glass, but the people here that own one say its plastic, so I believe them.

Yes, going by pics like this it looks to be much higher quality then the psp.

I compared the Vita screen with the PSP screen (plastic) and the N9 screen (gorilla glass, apparently) and it's more like the N9. It seems to be made of a higher grade of plastic than the PSP is. I wouldn't worry about the screen, it's amazing.

Thank you for checking, I thought when I saw pics of it that the front looked like gorilla glass like my iPhone 4. Can't wait until the Vita launches here, looks FAB!!!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Gonna have to disagree.
GAF has been able to share demos and betas with a shared account and passed along before.
That could only have been done if they weren't activated.
If I'm not mistaken, some betas were always shareable while others weren't. But at the same time, yes, I now remember sharing demos with GAF that didn't require an activation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do you bring up the AR mode in minna no golf? Manual looks like you press triangle in the character selection screen but that doesn't work

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They don't look sharp enough, imo. But they're less blurry than both Mingol and GA.

I originally thought 4sho SubqHD but the first shot confuses me. The style + JPEG compression could throw me off. Either way, I love the style.

Gaspode_T

How do you bring up the AR mode in minna no golf? Manual looks like you press triangle in the character selection screen but that doesn't work

Pretty sure it's somewhere in Data believe it or not, I will try it out myself later today and let you know if I figure it out

Gaspode_T

By the way for those not fluent in Japanese when you connect to online in Minna no Golf there is a notice that pops up and it says to the effect of "sorry we suck so much and our online servers are down or congested" (I have had luck maybe connecting one out of twenty tries and each try takes over a minute to timeout, so it's really ridiculous...)

CSSer

Anyone know how many courses are in the Vita Hot Shots Golf?

There are supposedly 6.

At the 3 min mark of this vid
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/psv-mechanics-hot-shots/721904

I wanted more. I think the psp and ps3 versions had about 6 too, although the ps3 one had some downloadable courses. They should have been able to add a basic course creator by now, to follow the play-create-share mantra, but they'd rather put out pretty much the same game every time because they'll know i'll buy it :(

Duffyside

Banned
There are supposedly 6.

At the 3 min mark of this vid
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/psv-mechanics-hot-shots/721904

I wanted more. I think the psp and ps3 versions had about 6 too, although the ps3 one had some downloadable courses. They should have been able to add a basic course creator by now, to follow the create-play-share mantra.

Hm, I wonder what the price will be in the US. Pretty discouraging that it's only 6 courses, when something like Tiger Woods ships with like, what, 15? And they're real, big-deal courses too.

I've never bought a Hot Shots before, but played the ever-loving hell out of the demo on PS3. I was waiting for a version that had trophy-support, as I loved the gameplay. I'll probably get this regardless, but still... twice that many courses would've been *drooooool*-worthy.

CSSer

Hm, I wonder what the price will be in the US. Pretty discouraging that it's only 6 courses, when something like Tiger Woods ships with like, what, 15? And they're real, big-deal courses too.

I've never bought a Hot Shots before, but played the ever-loving hell out of the demo on PS3. I was waiting for a version that had trophy-support, as I loved the gameplay. I'll probably get this regardless, but still... twice that many courses would've been *drooooool*-worthy.

It looks like it's 30 bucks in the US.

aktham

I just preordered a Vita on Amazon. I'll cancel my Vita preorder with GameStop and use that 50 to get Xenoblade Chronicles instead ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom