• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
i think the problems with online has to do more with ping, but yeah, the guy claiming 3G is 56k is horribly incorrect. i've used my phone data to browse the internet on my laptop and it is still fast..

Oh yeah, shooter are sometimes ok, but I would not say it is as good as wifi.

For MMOs though, it is great.

But saying it is 56k is really exaggerating.

Looks like just the standalone wifi is shipping.

Is there a list of games that don't need a memory card, I'm unsure if i will be able to buy a 32gb stick tomorrow.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
What if physical Vita games shipped with downloadable codes for digital copies too (Blu-ray model), but ran $15-20 more? So that would be $70 for UC. Let's say GS offers you $25 for the cart; that would mean you paid $45 for the code, which is right in line with their 10% discount for most games (excluding UC for the time being).

I'm just throwing it out there, but would that be an option that people would be interested in?

I could go for something like this, for sure. Hell I was willing to take some chances with the UMD transfer program, risk that the titles I care about would not be so niche as to charge whatever they feel like.

I'm a fan of the DVD/Blu-Ray combo packs too. I get the HD version of stuff to watch on the big TV, and the DVD version to watch in the bedroom. Their version of digital copy is a ripoff, really, because the codes expire, but I don't really watch movies on the go. Too many portable games to play, or books to read.

I never understood why people are using remote play?
It's not to dish on any of you, but I just done get it.

If the PS3 is in the same house, then why stream it to ones PS Vita?
If somebody else are using the one television in the household, then surely one can wait?

It helps if everyone else in the family has dibs on the TV. This is one of the selling points for the upcoming WiiU, right?

I'm quite frankly surprised no one is willing to see Imbarkus' point of view. It's extremely valid, and a reason I'll be buying physical games for marquee titles.

Ah it's probably my dogged method of delivery, plus this is the wrong place and time. This is a NeoGAF launch thread, full of folks who went for the PSP Go and went all digital long ago, who are now jazzed for day one on the next step. No reason for their excitement to be tempered, because they're not the ones feeling left out because of the format they backed.

Damn it.. I ordered my Vita FEB through EB Games. Had I known that Amazon was going to break street date by a week for us Canucks, I would have put my purchase through there.

The only thing stopping me from cancelling my preorder at EB is I've paid off the FEB, a lot of the credit was in trade ins and gift cards.

Magnalon

Neo Member
It's a question of latency, not speed. 3G latency is terrible.

What this gentleman said. You'll be able to pull downloads fine (on your 20MB per session limit), but when it comes to latency/sync, 3G is pretty bad. When I said 56k, I meant specifically in terms of gaming. I pull 2MB/s on my 3G personally, but that doesn't mean it can game perfectly.

It's the reason why many mobile developers such as Gameloft restrict online play to wifi only (Chaos and Order).

UberTag

Huh? Amazon.ca never listed/sold the FEB?
Amazon.ca sold the FEB. I would imagine those are shipping now as well in addition to the standalone Wi-Fi units. Impossible to say unless we hear from someone who preordered the FEB there instead of taking advantage of better deals like the Uncharted/Best Buy combo.

They're clearly not selling the FEB any more... as Saterium has pointed out.

frequency

Amazon.ca just sent me an email saying my Vita shipped?
Not first edition bundle. I thought this was Feb 22nd release date?

Seems like others got it too. Amazon messed up? Or earlier Canada release date?

btkadams

Amazon.ca just sent me an email saying my Vita shipped?
Not first edition bundle. I thought this was Feb 22nd release date?

Seems like others got it too. Amazon messed up? Or earlier Canada release date?
amazon messed up. twitter is saying it's arrived at some canadians' doors today.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's so hard to not buy myself a vita right now. I just want to see how it does a year from now before I bite, but that screen is so....

Bumhead

Banned
Fancy adding another game or two to my Amazon order of a WiFi Vita, 8GB card and Wipeout 2048.

Going to take a pass on Uncharted and FIFA for now. I could add Lumines, Rayman or Virtua Tennis 4 to my existing order for £15. How is Rayman Origins, for a fan of platformers but who has never played a Rayman game before? And what's Lumines like? I hear it has a killer soundtrack, but I'm not usually a fan of puzzlers and never played one before.

Also trying to decide between Hot Shots Golf and Marvel Vs Capcom.

frequency

amazon messed up. twitter is saying it's arrived at some canadians' doors today.

I totally wasn't expecting it and wasn't following this thread.
I didn't even order a memory card or games for it yet. I was wondering what amazon was sending me a shipping notice for.

On the one hand, yay early Vita! On the other, I just got charged $280 two weeks earlier than I expected.
Now I'll have to spend $100 on a 32gb card. Buy some games. And screen protector/case. So much money suddenly hitting 2 weeks earlier. I kind of want to cry.

If I wanted to sell my old PSP, will restoring it to default settings make the system into factory settings or is there more I need to do to erase everything? I know I have to format the memory stick but where does the system store all the other info like account info, wi-fi, etc.?

I think I need to sell my PSP. I need to free up some slots so I can activate a Vita and possibly a Vita re-design down the road.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going up to Winnipeg this weekend. I could have one waiting for me on Friday... argh.

Well, here's hoping Sony just lets everyone sell all of them on the 15th.

Gritesh

So tempted to cancel my feb order with future shop and order the vita through amazon at the moment but tomorrow afternoon I will be going on a holiday for 5 days so I doubt I could order today and have it at my door by tomorrow morning...

Edit: looks like even though it says I can have it by tomorrow when I go to checkout it says Friday at the earliest

aknbad30

Banned
So tempted to cancel my feb order with future shop and order the vita through amazon at the moment but tomorrow afternoon I will be going on a holiday for 5 days so I doubt I could order today and have it at my door by tomorrow morning...

Come on now people. It comes out on the 22nd. Its not like the actual release date is 2 months from now.

I totally wasn't expecting it and wasn't following this thread.
I didn't even order a memory card or games for it yet. I was wondering what amazon was sending me a shipping notice for.

On the one hand, yay early Vita! On the other, I just got charged $280 two weeks earlier than I expected.
Now I'll have to spend $100 on a 32gb card. Buy some games. And screen protector/case. So much money suddenly hitting 2 weeks earlier. I kind of want to cry.

Are you in Toronto? I'll buy it off of you and you can have my preorder. Cry less.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I forgot to add that important step :D

But yea if you're switching cards you shouldn't care about a factory reset regardless, since almost no data is stored on the portable.

More info for the OP:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/15/2638998/playstation-vita-psn-accounts-memory-card

couple of minutes to reset, forgets your wifi password (a pain if its a long WEP one), loses any customisation you've done with wallpapers or icon location. Gets to be annoying pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom