• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR 2 sales prediction thread! How will it do? (Early results expected in Q1-Q2 2023)

How will PlayStation VR2 do sales wise?

• It will sell much more than the first PlayStation VR (Way over 5 million units)

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • It will sell slightly more than the first PlayStation VR (Over 5 million units)

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • It will sell about the same as the first PlayStation VR (5 million units)

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • It will sell less than the first PlayStation VR (less than 5 million units)

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • It will sell much less than the first PlayStation VR (Way less than 5 million units)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I don't care about VR

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Nov 1st, over the last year we have gotten more information, news, gameplay demos, and a peek into Sony's future plans for PSVR2. The only thing we don't have is price and a release date but we were given a "confirmed release window" given to us for it's launch, which is sometime within Q!-Q2 2023 early next year, only a handful of months to go before launch!!!!!!

Many people across gaming forums and social media are mixed about PSVR2, some feel like they were punished for buying the first PSVR or that VR in general is not where it needs to be for mass adoption, some believe that it will be such a significant jump in VR gaming that the PSVR 2 will be incredibly successful and Sony will have the best VR software compared to other VR companies, others are caught in between not sure what to think.

What do you predict? Will it have a good launch and fall flat? Will it flop? Will it exceed the sales of PSVR1?

Ozriel

M$FT
It’ll easily outsell the PSVR 1. Single USB-C cable is nothing to sniff at. I don’t believe they can exceed the $499 price point (bad optics to have a peripheral cost more than the base console). At that price, an instant preorder for me.

Nautilus

Banned
dc cinematic universe GIF

vivftp

Bloomberg already reported that Sony were planning to have over 2 million PSVR's ready by March 2023, which is the end of the fiscal year. Since it's launching in early 2023 that means it looks like they plan to have 2 million ready to go in the first month or two. For comparisons sake the PSVR took 8 months to hit 1 million units.

The PSVR2 is gonna crush the PSVRs sales and FAR surpass them.

Bloomberg already reported that Sony were planning to have over 2 million PSVR's ready by March 2023, which is the end of the fiscal year. Since it's launching in early 2023 that means it looks like they plan to have 2 million ready to go in the first month or two. For comparisons sake the PSVR took 8 months to hit 1 million units.

The original VR companies with the current wave of VR headsets all had slow production and changed their shipping numbers on demand because it was new, only Samsung pushed higher shipment numbers from the start for mobile, that's why it took Sony time to sell its first million headsets.

What Sony is doing with PSVR2 is making a gamble producing 2 million headsets from the start and hoping they sell them by fall instead of ending up with a bunch of money losing units sitting on shelves. I will say they spent a lot more on this launch lineup software wise than PSVR1 so they are clearly hoping the gamble pays off.

SLB1904

Banned
If the price us right. Good luck finding one in the near future and if its pc compatible will be the best selling vr by a mile

vivftp

The original VR companies with the current wave of VR headsets all had slow production and changed their shipping numbers on demand because it was new, only Samsung pushed higher shipment numbers from the start for mobile, that's why it took Sony time to sell its first million headsets.

What Sony is doing with PSVR2 is making a gamble producing 2 million headsets from the start and hoping they sell them by fall instead of ending up with a bunch of money losing units sitting on shelves. I will say they spent a lot more on this launch lineup software wise than PSVR1 so they are clearly hoping the gamble pays off.

Fall? Are you assuming that Sony are stockpiling a large quantity of headsets for the launch period, and will just trickle those out over the next several months? Do you not think they'll also be producing more headsets during those several months?

It seems pretty obvious to me that they're aiming to sell those 2 million within the launch window (first 2-3 months) and then go from there once the new FY begins.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Going by PSVR1 selling 5M units by 2019 (3 years after launch). Maybe it hit 6M since then across 120 PS4s, that's around a 5% adoption rate across 5 years. I doubt PSVR sales have been super high last bunch of years. You dont even hear about it anymore.

If PS5 has 30+M PS5s by early 2023, the 2M batch might sell out in a year assuming the price is good (PSVR was $400 just like PS4). That's just a 6% adoption rate among the gamers who's snagged a system since launch (more hardcore gamers). And it's not even accounting for additional PS5 sales getting to 40m, 50M etc...

Last edited:

nocsi

If Biden's student loan relief goes through, then 4 million. If not, then 400k. People have maxed out credit cards right now

ZehDon

Gold Member
With no PSVR1 backwards compatibility, and no official PC integration, PSVR2 is going to have a small initial library that may require people to buy titles again. Sony also seem to be opting for a "premium" marketing approach, so the USD$499.00 is the minimum price. I'm expecting this to sell well initially, before the sales slow to a trickle until a price cut and the library deepens.

It seems pretty obvious to me that they're aiming to sell those 2 million within the launch window (first 2-3 months)

We'll have to see if this is true but I think it's incredibly unlikely Sony is going to sell 2 million VR headsets in 3 months, that's Quest 2 level.

Beechos

Itll prob sell about the same. There are so little ps5 out right now selling over 5 million will be a big task. Psvr sold 5 mill with 100 mil ps4 out there.

vivftp

Going by PSVR1 selling 5M units by 2019 (3 years after launch). Maybe it hit 6M since then across 120 PS4s, that's around a 5% adoption rate across 5 years. I doubt PSVR sales have been super high last bunch of years. You dont even hear about it anymore.

If PS5 has 30+M PS5s by early 2023, the 2M batch might sell out in a year assuming the price is good (PSVR was $400 just like PS4). That's just a 6% adoption rate among the gamers who's snagged a system since launch (more hardcore gamers). And it's not even accounting for additional PS5 sales getting to 40m, 50M etc...

Comparing PSVR to PSVR2 and expecting roughly the same doesn't really fly when you look at the bigger overall picture.

- PSVR is a gen 1 headset with bottom of the barrel specs as far as VR headsets go, has an extremely convoluted setup process and has relatively poor VR controllers with the PS Move. In comparison, PSVR2 has top of the line specs, an incredibly simple 1 cable setup process and has modern controllers with the Sense controllers.

- The library of PSVR1 was mostly borderline experimental games/experiences with the occasional banger here and there, and some decent hybrid ports like RE7. In comparison, PSVR2 should be aiming for a far larger library of proper games to play, both dedicated VR and hybrid. We know there're over 20 titles for launch alone, and the remainder of the launch lineup hasn't been revealed yet.

- The PSVR, as noted above was a gen 1 headset so it came out when VR was still trying to find its footing, and remained on the market as VR continued to evolve over the next 6 years. It was definitely showing its age, which limited its potential audience. Despite that, it was still the best selling VR headset around until Quest 2 showed up. The overall market for VR has grown since then, there are a lot more devs producing software for VR these days, and the successor to the formerly best selling VR headset is about to come out.

Launch aligned the PS5 will be behind where the PS4 was when both of their respective VR headsets release (PS4 was around 47 million and PS5 should be around 35 million), so the potential market of folks to sell to is lower right off the bat, but it's also a very different market and this is a very different sort of device. Point is, I don't think Sony are stockpiling 2 million units for the first month or two of the device being on the market to just sit on that stock and drip feed it out over the next several months. They would've done their homework to anticipate demand and plan accordingly. That's why I say it seems evident that they're aiming to sell through those 2 million units in the launch window.

Comparing PSVR to PSVR2 and expecting roughly the same doesn't really fly when you look at the bigger overall picture.

- PSVR is a gen 1 headset with bottom of the barrel specs as far as VR headsets go, has an extremely convoluted setup process and has relatively poor VR controllers with the PS Move. In comparison, PSVR2 has top of the line specs, an incredibly simple 1 cable setup process and has modern controllers with the Sense controllers.

- The library of PSVR1 was mostly borderline experimental games/experiences with the occasional banger here and there, and some decent hybrid ports like RE7. In comparison, PSVR2 should be aiming for a far larger library of proper games to play, both dedicated VR and hybrid. We know there're over 20 titles for launch alone, and the remainder of the launch lineup hasn't been revealed yet.

- The PSVR, as noted above was a gen 1 headset so it came out when VR was still trying to find its footing, and remained on the market as VR continued to evolve over the next 6 years. It was definitely showing its age, which limited its potential audience. Despite that, it was still the best selling VR headset around until Quest 2 showed up. The overall market for VR has grown since then, there are a lot more devs producing software for VR these days, and the successor to the formerly best selling VR headset is about to come out.

Launch aligned the PS5 will be behind where the PS4 was when both of their respective VR headsets release (PS4 was around 47 million and PS5 should be around 35 million), so the potential market of folks to sell to is lower right off the bat, but it's also a very different market and this is a very different sort of device. Point is, I don't think Sony are stockpiling 2 million units for the first month or two of the device being on the market to just sit on that stock and drip feed it out over the next several months. They would've done their homework to anticipate demand and plan accordingly. That's why I say it seems evident that they're aiming to sell through those 2 million units in the launch window.

You have to consider that selling 2 million VR head sets in 2-3 months is a feat only a cheap headset or years ago a mobile headset (almost) managed to do.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but the PVR2 will be more costly than those other headsets I'm referring to and will require for those who don't have a PS5, a console purchase as well. US will probably be strong initially, but I think the other territories will not be adopting PVR2 in large numbers enough to help reach that 2 million sell through.

Sony seems to be taking a gamble of putting out 2 million headsets hoping to sell them by August and Sept and then increase production, I don't think they are planning on actually selling 2 million head sets in a couple months. The former seems like a better plan that makes more sense.

Justin9mm

Guarantee the release day units are going to sell out and you will see scalper prices until Sony can flood the market with them. Unless it's some ridiculous price!

I'm hoping it's not over $549 AUD here. Considering the Pro Controller released here for $340, I'm not too hopeful.

Going to be optimistic and say more. I get the impression from a lot of people that they were hesitant about investing in the first one because they thought it would be a flash in the pan. But now that they're seeing Sony (along with Oculus and others) sticking with VR and releasing new headsets, that they're more interested in jumping in.

ABnormal

I would say that, if the previous one sold one unit out of twenty ps4s, this one could sell double, one unit out of ten. But it's difficult to know what percentage of gamers know and are interested in VR.
Peculiar games would make the difference. Those kind of generational experiences capable to stimulate curiosity and captivate hearts.

I agree with your great post and just want to reinforce that a lot depends on what we don't know about the composition of those 20 games.

I would suggest we know enough at this point to say they'll sell through their initial stockpile, but it's after that that's unknown. How it's received and marketed and if they're a solid line-up or if there's a break out hit, it could really change things.

vivftp

I agree with your great post and just want to reinforce that a lot depends on what we don't know about the composition of those 20 games.

I would suggest we know enough at this point to say they'll sell through their initial stockpile, but it's after that that's unknown. How it's received and marketed and if they're a solid line-up or if there's a break out hit, it could really change things.
I have very strong feelings that Sony's driven a dumptruck of money up to Rockstars door to integrate a PSVR2 mode into GTA5. If GTA6 also supports VR then Sony will have, by default, the only way to experience it on console. I also have no doubt that Insomniac will do something VR related for Spider-Man, either a stand-alone offering or something integrated into Spider-Man 2. I think there be massive bombs waiting to be dropped throughout the life of this device.

bitbydeath

We'll have to see if this is true but I think it's incredibly unlikely Sony is going to sell 2 million VR headsets in 3 months, that's Quest 2 level.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold all 2M stock in the first day/week. We also now have scalpers to compete with, and they’ll be out in full force, looking for their next fix.

Last edited:

Crayon

They need to go hard on the vr modes for major games. Hopefully not just their games but help/pay 3rd parties to try the same.

Anyway, of course it's going to sell more than the first one. The first one had a few things going for it like being the most comfortable set and having a great display. Otherwise, it was going up against vive and cv1 and looked a bit like a toy in comparison. psvr2 kicks the shit out of any headset you are getting for under a grand.

That's just the hardware tho. You need games and psvr1 was actually pretty good there but they need to double down and make pc and occulous look unexciting in comparison.

Horizon is a good start now let's get Alyx and Bonelab, c'mon.

DeepSpace5D

When it’s all said and done, I think PSVR 2 will significantly outsell PSVR. The first one seemed like a half-baked peripheral the way it used the old Move controllers and had a ton of cables and whatnot.

The impressive specs plus the newly designed controllers and the single cable has this one poised for greater adoption imo, especially if the software is consistent and of high quality.

I can see the PSVR 2 selling double what the PSVR did.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It depends if folks can figure out how to hook up to a PC.

PeteBull

U guys forgetting about major factor- if psvr2 gonna get shit tier dev studios only to make games for it, like it was case of psvr, or we gonna get top sony first party studios, including A team from naughty dog, insomaniac, sucker punch and sony santa monica being forced to waste their precious time/resources for VR games(speaking here from pov of VR sceptic/hater w/e u call it;)

Imho VR isnt in a vacuum, there is finite amount of funds/dev time/talent in the business, so i prefer for it, like till now, to be mostly focused on games i enjoy, and not VR, but ofc if proportion changes, it will give huge boost for VR games/devices, so far it doesnt sound like it, at least for foreseable future aka till end of current console gen.

Godot25

Banned
Depends on final price.
And after Sony raised prices of their consoles I doubt PSVR2 will cost less than 599€.
So I think it will sell similarly to PSVR1. Sony will try to support it with first-party games but after one-two years that support will die down and headset will rely only on third-party games.

Jayjayhd34

I think it will do slightly more if only accessible on ps5. Make it officially compatible with pc and think it will sell even more.

K2D

Banned
Anywhere from 10 to 25 millions. 25 being the upper limits of the hard core ps fanbase, and 10 mill being the double of what Psvr sold - reasoning being that people think like me and like to demo vr to friends, but refrain from recommending being a first adopter.

digdug2

Probably around 8-10 million. VR is much better and refined than it was 5-6 years ago, and PSVR1, Oculus Rift, and Vive were for the first adopters.

BTW- why can't I vote in polls? Do I need 50 posts to be able to do that, too?

yurinka

I think its sales will depend on catalog and price. Now prices of everything are rising so I think will be too expensive for most people and will have a way better catalog than the previous one but won't be enough.

Even considering that, I think it will end selling 10-16 million. Around 10% of the PS5 users will buy it. I think will perform better than PSVR1 but still won't become mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom